What is Veeky Forums's actual opinion on Starting Strength?

There's quite a bit of divide on this board so let's hear what everyone has to say.

a good program for true novices that want to get into strength training, but quickly becomes obsolete as the trainee grows accustomed to lifting.

/thread

I never did SS as a beginner but I wish I did. I especially recommend reading the book or at least the parts that you need. Also there's some really useful info in rips other book, practical programming for strength training.

Fpbp
SS is effective up to a certain point

My opinion is that you should read the fucking book instead of making retarded threads and not even look at the sticky.

Good program for beginners. Simple but effective when done to the letter.

Squatting every day is stupid, power cleans are a poor exercise for first time lifters as it will lead to injury and not effectively build muscle, SS also doesn't have enough pulling and will lead to an upper body that is both unbalanced compared to lower body and unbalanced in its front to its back possibly leading to shoulder issues later on.

There are better lifting schedules to follow.

P good but for someone not looking to use it for football I would change it to alternate squats and deadlifts instead of squatting every day, add pullups on the day that loses one exercise because of this and exchange power cleans for some type of rowing movement. This way you are alternating push/pull leg movement, horizontal/vertical pressing movement, and horizontal/vertical pulling movement every workout so as to not become imbalanced by pressing each workout but only pulling every other

Why would I wanna argue with weak idiots?

it's good for starting out. It's called fucking STARTING strength. If you have no strength you need to start somewhere. If you fags actually read the book Rippetoe says this right in it that you should do SS for a few months, get your beginner gainz and learn some technique and then move on to something more specialized.

how can one poster be so wrong about pretty much everything. is this bait or are you legitimate this bad at lifting?

Too much leg workout. It's garbage.

Everything he said is accurate. SS has powercleans and deadlifts for pulls. That's it. No rows or pullups or anything. Good luck getting a balanced physique.

lol bro who actually squats that much? And deadlifts will kill your back dont do them.

The only worthwhile exercises out there are bench presses, curls, and the occasional plank to get those washboard abs.

Doesn't this guy also recommend you drink a gallon of milk a day? No thanks grandpa ill stick to my fruit juice. stay mad SS-tards while I get swole and fuck bitches

yeah because a novice fucking lifter needs a shit ton of pulling volume so they can go to snap city even faster! great idea user

i think it's pretty shit. i have no idea why anyone on here listens to trappy.

better than a 5 day split for noobs but otherwise a meme program that will just make your legs grow real fast

>caring about physique

r u gay or something rofl

Fantastic program when done to the t. With the pull ups and Dips and whatnot . I prefer PGSLP as a beginner program. But SS is still good. Still think people should do 1-2 months of prehab before starting any routine though. Makes life infinitely easier later on

I did it when I was a noob and saw decent gains while really getting my form down and getting some great power. It's for noobs and good as long as you move on when it's time.

Hail Rippetoe

> no rows or pull ups
The program literally has pull ups in it you fool

>SS for 36 months
>implying I won't do this

>SS has powercleans and deadlifts for pulls. That's it. No rows or pullups or anything
Confirmed dyel. Read the book summerbitch.

Opinion: If you're eating enough SS is god tier for beginners. If you're going to fuck around on your diet and not gain, you're better off on a push/pull or something else

Do your own research on everything, don't NEVER EVER listen to Veeky Forums about anything.
Most of the people here are underage faggots who don't even lift.

Also SS isn't the worst idea, but i would do SL or Greyskull LP if i were you.

what's that point when it's obsolete?

Power cleans are essential IMO. You don't need to go hard with them, but every novice lifter should be able to PC 1plate after a few months of lifting. The amount of people I see in the gym who can't do that is staggering. Once you get the technique down, they're also a lot of fun. If you get to 2plate territory, there are so many mires to be had when you appear to effortlessly fling it off the floor.

>tldr
>do the fucking power cleans, they aren't that hard
>no really, they aren't
>no you will not get hurt if you aren't a dumbass

rippetoe has good advice on everything but i like greyskull lp better

Run sheiko

REPLY IF YOU AGREE

when you stop progressing on your lifts REGUARLY. if you start failing your bench press or overhead press often, it's time to move on.

Not them, but it becomes obsolete when you can't progressively overload. You can generally squeeze it out for a few months, or even a year before it becomes obsolete. And when it does, you come out being pretty strong, and having a tonne of new muscle.

My gym doesn't have a lot of space and i'm afraid people will frown at me doing them.

I used to hate PCs, but as I've gotten more flexibel and better as lifting I'm beginning to love em'.

I think the biggest realization of lifting in the future is that
1. Drill form hard for explosive lifts
2. With lifts you aren't comfortable with, consider them "control movements" and go slow and light with higher reps.

I suck balls at BB row and dips, so I always go for volume and slow reps with em'.

and
3. Avoiding injury for linear progress over the course of 2 years is the most important thing

Gettin' rid of that ego and making sure I got enough sleep/food was the hardest part. Feels good once you surpass 1/2/3/4 and even make height gainz because you fix your posture

>trappy
kys yourself

Oh no, someone conveniently summarised important elements of a book into a Veeky Forums thread. What a fucking faggot, providing no benefit for anyone whatsoever

Trappy was a shit, but at least "it" helped some new fags find their feet

I'm sure you did

I'd say that's incorrect on OHP. You're gonna fail that pretty quick. I'd honestly keep going until you start failing squat. Alot of "failures" on bench and OHP can be attributed to bad form.

i'm of the opinion that SS does not provide enough volume to produce upper body results for long. 3x5 with a few warm up sets done 3 times per 2 weeks won't provide enough stress to cause growth.

Wait until you move up from babyweights summerfriend.

weow you sure got me there
>implying i started reading fit this summer
>implying im on ss
>implying im using baby weight

here i thought you might have a reasonable argument, but no, you're just a shitter on Veeky Forums

You do realize that chin ups are included in the program, correct?

kek this

Starting Strength is a GRET way to start strength