What does everyone think about swimming as a weight loss exercise? Is it better than running...

What does everyone think about swimming as a weight loss exercise? Is it better than running? How long would it take me to learn with lessons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BDBVZQlLdoY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Please advise.

Running is essential to getting fit, it's the best exercise for your lungs and it exercises every single muscle.

Swimming might be worse or better, it depends on the temeperature of the water and your speed. If the temeperature is around 15-25 C then it will definately be better for weight loss.

Remember not every scientific theory is right, there are exceptions. Even though swimming uses less muscle, water still is one of the best ways to transfer heat and heaters are one of the reasons of rising obesity + warm clothes.
Also swimming will give you a nice look of having wide shoulders, so definitely go for it, but don't forget to do your cardio with running.
Btw swimming an hour in cold water can burn easily around 1k-1,5k calories.

the best weight loss exercise is the exercise that you will do most often. the exercise that you do most often is the one that you skip least. the exercise that you skip least is the one that you enjoy most. swim if you like it.
>running is essential to getting fit
>heaters and warm clothes cause obesity
i have no words

Are you a broscience chatbot? What a load of fucking crap.

Swimmings great for losing weight. I always go to the river and swim around. Also your pecs and lats get a good pump at the same time. Better than running because it's not fucky on the joints.

>the best weight loss exercise is the exercise that you will do most often. the exercise that you do most often is the one that you skip least. the exercise that you skip least is the one that you enjoy most. swim if you like it.

this is the correct answer for 99% of questions about "what cardio should i do"

if youre just a regular gym rat, the specific type of cardio doesnt matter
if youre competing, a competitive athlete, or otherwise have something on the line, then you should look into the smaller details of "which cardio is best for my goals"

if you just want to look good, and be healthy, just do the cardio that you like

I'm going to ideally swim one hour a day 5 days a week. Doing lengths in the pool.

Are you fucking drunk?

sounds good
swimming is great because it puts less pressure on the joints, which can be an issue if your are old, overweight, or have some sort of joint problem

as miniscule as it is, there is the effect of having to burn more to maintain body temp in a colder swimming pool

swimming often times, depending on the specific style, involves a relatively full body movement

and finally, swimming is one of those times where it's acceptable to be shirtless and show off them gains

This

I keep my BF >10% due to the discovery of a form of cardio of love.

Nothing to show off yet but hopefully there will be soon. Any idea how long it'll take me to learn the 4 strokes?

I'm not overweight, but I hate running so I want to swim for cardio. Is swimming once a week enough for proper cardio gains? I don't mind doing 2 hours at a time if that's needed.

Learn front crawl first. It will be your main and feels the most natural once you know them all. Get a paddle board and just do the motions.

>youtube.com/watch?v=BDBVZQlLdoY

Good stepping stone, depending on how confident you are in the water. Just watch a bunch of tutorials and you will get it.

Next would be backstroke, because it is the same, just on your back, so you have the ability to not worry about your breathing.

Breaststroke is probably the most difficult to perfect, because the body movements aren't done at the same time, so you need a great rhythm. Watch some vids.

Butterfly is a cunt, feels awkward and gets you no where fast in the water. Only learn it if you want massive wings.

Should take you about a month to get the basics down and be swimming laps. But don't think that you've perfected it once you can successfully swim laps. Swimming is more complex than running and there are always ways to improve your stroke and technique.

How does swimming use less muscle?

Thanks a lot for that. I'll watch a few more of those and jump in the pool tomorrow.

Start with breastroke, easiest to learn and will tire you the least.

Next should be the front crawl. This one has more of a skill curve since you need to be able to turn to the side quickly enough to get a breath of air before going down under again.

The hardest stroke and the ones that will get you the most gains is the Butterfly. Your shoulders will feel like absolute shit for a few days(at least mine was when I started).

Finally the backstroke is a meme to me, I personally never do it, but it's nice to be able to float in the water for that long in case you ever get swept out to sea or something.

>I've never swam before but since they are floating they must not use many muscles, also no cardio at all

I'm flipping

Will do. Taking my first lesson Friday so I'll see how it goes.

I have swam every day for the past 4 days. Swimming is one of my favorite things.

I don't wanna kill myself when i am floating on top of the water.

While i am in the pool i can dive to the bottom scream in agony and nobody can hear me. Then i come up with a smile on my face like everything is ok.

I thought I was the only one.

Have you lost a lot of weight doing so? Do you time yourself?

I have lost weight but most of my weight loss comes from diet.

I do laps until i run out of energy
Don't really time myself. I just go until i can't go no more.
I am usually in the pool for about an hour.

2 hours non-stop and a small portion diet should do it. Eat healthier, I will not recommend a specific diet cause I'm unaware of your body type.