Can someone explain to me how people were just wakling around in suits all day...

Can someone explain to me how people were just wakling around in suits all day? I tried wearing one and I got super hot really fast. Did they wear thsi shit in the summer?

There are lighter and heavier materials. E.g. you won't wear a woollen suit on a hot day but you might wear a cotton shirt and tweed trousers

Summer weight wool and linen.

White suits.

Tropical suits.

mini ice age

While this is true in 1917 the average weight of fabrics was a lot heavier than what you have today. Try about 13oz or 15oz weight on average compared to today's 8 to 9 oz weights.

They didn't have a choice

wear light wool suit for summer
generally 6-8 oz
linen is good but has unflattering creases,cotton can look gauche
also good make sure your suit has flaps

Is the guy on the right that fat aussie guy from filthy frank videos

Global warming.....duhhhhh

Very uncomfortably.

Remember, Suits are a throwback to the Victorian era where everything was made to be uncomfortable on fucking purpose. While female fashion moved on, male fashion has always been largely stagnant when it comes to formalwear. pop the collar and wear a little ribbon around the neck and you would be not far from what people were wearing in the 19th century.

Tropical suits were different. Even here during Colonial Philippines, men were out and about in suits.

Although we had super-breezy native formal-wear.

bullshit
suits are a commoners everyday wear during those time
if you wanna go out of your house you'll wear a frock coat in victorian era,a morning dress in an edwardian era and you'll have a wardrobe change by the evening

>suits are a commoners everyday wear during those time
Nope. Its usually just a long sleeved shirt.

Smock frocks were abandoned in rural england to 1850.

clothes back then were not designed to constrict the male genitalia

so man was less affected by such weaknesses

I've been looking for one of those things, they look comfy as fuck.

>mfw have a seersucker suit for the summer
>mfw still hot as fuck whenever I wear it and my undies always ride up the crack of my ass

I love how suits look but wew lad are they uncomfortable

noice

Its kinda itch desu. Coconut fiber you see. Its meant to be worn with a cotton shirt underneath anyway, but brushing it on your skin even accidentally rubbed me the wrong way as a child.

I just want to know how people afforded all these fucking suits. Were they cheaper back then or what?

cotton is shit compared to linen and wool desu or even blends of those two

Was the common wear back then

>all these fucking suits

If you weren't wealthy, you had one good suit. If you were lucky, anyway. Sometimes you just had one good shirt and one good pair of pants.

Back then you'd wear clothing that was 100% natural fibers, which don't make you sweat as much and don't trap/absorb sweat. You'd wear lighter fabrics in hot months, heavier fabrics in cold months.

Waistcoat. If it wasn't pawned

>average weight

They had a ton of lighter materials then. Lighter materials don't last as long and usually aren't as durable as heavy materials, so not a lot of them survive. Also, suits can be made out of materials other than wool. Lighter cotton and linen suits were common for summer wear

for a moment there I thought kid in the center was holding a gun

Super hot means you have a shit quality suit. Decent materials are a must.

>1917
>picture of Cary Grant

Maintaining one decent looking suit was a common struggle for lower class people. There was a lively business centered around pawned suits as well.

Gonna sound insulting, but fitness was pretty important to wearing a suit in warmer weather. Thin and fit people generate less body heat, meaning wearing a suit doesn't cook you as fast.

More muscles = higher caloric intake per second = more heat generated by basic activities. Fatasses would probably sweat more just because the fat is sticking to everything and insulates the body too much though, so that would be true. Either way even when I was still bordering underweight BMI I wouldn't feel comfortable in a suit during summer/spring.

>higher caloric intake per second = more heat generated by basic activities.

no

Yes, in pretty much any system parts of energy consumed will go into heat, and people with more lean mass generally need more energy just for maintenance.

The very fact that they need it for maintenance means that it doesn't get turned into heat. Energy that is turned into heat is energy not used for maintenance. Heat is literally energy not being used for anything useful (beyond maintaining body temperature).

Maintenance here is literally defined as the amount of calories you need to eat not to lose nor gain body mass daily without counting in any big activities like lifting weights. You will generate heat when moving your muscles, which includes internal organs and also blood pumping. If you need to do any of these maintenance activities harder you will generate more heat.

If we take your definition you would need to say you need to consume 0 fuel to maintain any given velocity since it all goes into heat or other useless shit.

I know what maintenance is nigger, I browse Veeky Forums too. You should browse a little less Veeky Forums and a little more Veeky Forums. Yes if you perform more activities, you will generate more heat as a residual of energy exerted. This however was not your original premise. You stated and I quote:
>higher caloric intake per second = more heat generated by basic activities.
There is no reason why consuming more calories would mean that you generate more heat performing activities compared to someone consuming less calories performing that same activity.

>If we take your definition you would need to say you need to consume 0 fuel to maintain any given velocity since it all goes into heat or other useless shit.

An object maintains it velocity unless it meets with resistance, yes. This is basic physics man.

People were more hardened. Not even joking.

Modern people have gotten too used to comfort and can/will complain about any and everything.

In the olden days, people just had to suck it up. Feeling bit sick? Suck it up. Feeling bit of back pain? Suck it up. Feeling bit under the blues? Suck it up. Feeling bit hot? Suck it up. Bit cold? Suck it up.

Protip: There is a balance that you need to adopt between "sucking it up" and raising your voice. That's called the profit margin. Whichever gives you more profit.

This

Here in Guatemala, a normal day could get as hot as 35C. This is the president in 1943

And another president (truly patrician by the way) around the early 1900s

OP, do you wear a fedora with your suit? Is so, please don't wear one.

The modern nu-male doesn't have the strength to wear a suit.

More like people were more dishonest with themselves.
>Dude lmao I don't live in a place that is cool enough to need a jacket so I will pretend not to feel hot under this suit.

It reminds me of Filipino kids dressing up in hoodies pretending to be Americanized teens in a fucking tropical country.

I think this thread has spent just a little too long without a bump...

>tfw tried to wear a suit but ended up looking a moron
Why do all of these people look so good

I know that but an average even lighter materials such as cotton and linen were of higher weights than modern material. I own linen suits from the era, including the most sought after palm beach cloth suit.

>cary grant
>1917
wat

cause you only see famous people from the era and famous people have the best tailors to make them look the best. Same goes for historical drama where suits are all tailor made to look great. Most people wore mass produced one-size-fits-all suits and probably looked retarded unless they had a decent tailor (though i imagine tailors were more ubiquitous back then when suits were in abundance.

This. Cary Grant would have been 13 in 1917.

>being strong enough to endure discomfort is being dishonest with yourself
Perhaps you've won the award for biggest bitch on Veeky Forums.

No. Back then people cared about looking presentable.

>I tried wearing one
kek

>blocks you're path

If you were a manual laborer (like 80% of the population, before lots of automation), you mostly just wore a shirt and pants suitable for your activity in the summer. A suit would be only for special occasions.

Non-manual workers, wearing suits, might put the jacket on to meet people, but would take it off and roll up the sleeves when nobody important was looking.

Would it be possible to bring back early 20th century aesthetics back in a small/medium sized town?
How would you do it?

Armed violent state action. The usual.

People like Lovecraft would wear the same thread bare suit for years on end for the sake of keeping up appearances. ReviewBrah looks better than a good 80% of people from the era he dresses for.

Shut up it makes for a better meme reeeee

we still do in the civilised parts of the world :r)

care to post an example?

I mean, in older media I often notice when guys are being casual in a room or in a summer time environment they're often actually wearing a dress shirt and some pants. I don't know for sure but I suspect this was the normal for when you didn't give a shit. Perspective is warped by old photographs getting people when they knew they were being photographed or in a public space like a street, often in richer urban areas.

Still hot, but you only have to wear the full suit for so long as you walk from A to B.

Just go to a somewhat decent chain and ask for help. Some faggot at Mango helped me out greatly to find me parts of a proper suit.

Not the other guy but "being strong enough to endure discomfort" rubbed me the wrong way. Literally takes no thought to endure slight discomfort. Those who endure those slight heat/cold aren't strong, those were normal standard back then.

Now the standard has changed so if you endure slight discomfort, you're seen as "strong". Our standard now is bitchy/whiny people who will complain at the drop of a hat.

I do not want to find out what our generation's "weak people" are. They are probably the tumblr crowd who find find ways to complain about any existing or even non-existing things.

ever heard of global warming?

>implying kids know who Cary Grant is

People smelled a lot more before but you can't tell on the picture.

I want to hurt these creatures user, how do I justify it

Seems to be true from the very limited sample size I've seen so far. I'm a burger but currently visiting Vienna. Most adults look quite dapper.

God, I hate modern suits.

>ruins his day.

Yes, they did. Even in the scorching heat of Anglo Egypt the governor and his family and other staff would go to sunday mass in the heat in full suit & dress.

Everyone was sweaty and hot but people complained less back then.

Settle down reviewbrah, it's just fashion. It always changes.

>Pretense is strength.

You mean the capitalist/globalist uniform?

??
People dress like shit here during the summer though. Also people dress nicer in the Innerestadt b/c that's the fancy part of town. Walk 10 mins in any direction away from the Ringstraße and people'll look like shit, esp during the warmer months.

World was colder back then.