Is protein powder just a meme, or is it necessary to build muscles?

Is protein powder just a meme, or is it necessary to build muscles?

Other urls found in this thread:

breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/is-the-anabolic-window-a-myth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You goddamn right it's necessary. How else you gonna get 350 grams of protein a day?

3 solid meals
3 shakes

The two pre/post workout shakes don't count

FOUR SCOOPS GOD DAMN IT

I think the sticky explains this but I'll pretend you read it
Protein powder is not special or necessary. It exists for a couple reasons
>Cheap
>Convenient

If you can get your daily protein without it, you don't need powder. I generally only use it before or after a workout and I can't be assed to cook. And occasionally if I haven't hit my protein goal and it's already midnight. A tub usually lasts me a couple months

I try to get all my protein from food and use protein powder to SUPPLEMENT my intake when needed. Relying on it to regularly hit macros is not the best idea.

>Relying on it to regularly hit macros is not the best idea.
Why not?

>Unneccesary supplements
>Bare minimum gains
Pick 1.

>necessary
No
>beneficial
Yes

Protein in general is needed, whether you get it through proper nutrition or protein powders is your own choice. I for one, get sick of lean meats and since I've got a sweet tooth, I prefer a 2 scoop chocolate protein shake with milk over an 8 oz serving of 2 chicken breasts.

You're not going to hit the anabolic window without it, unless you plan on taking chicken breasts to the gym?

>anabolic window

fuck away yourself with your broscience

>anabolic window

Anabolic windows are BS. Your body digests protein over an extended period, muscle builds over an extended period.

Milk and Cheese is better.

my gym buddy and i have a similar build/diets and we've been lifting for the same amount of time except he doesn't use protein powder and i do. he's stalled several times on bench and squats while i've been pretty linear so, although this might be anecdotal, in my experience it makes a difference

Milk has too much fat and even skim milk, which contains pretty much no fat whatsoever has more carbs than protein. Cheese on the other hand has even more fat than milk but less carbs, still a horrible choice for a main protein source. You sound like vegans who say "beans and rice are a great protein choice" when it's more than 60% carbs.

>is it necessary to build muscles?

It's a supplement so you don't have to consume insane amounts of protein every meal. Not necessary if you unironically enjoy eating chicken breast by the dozen

>eating chicken breast by the dozen
Eating the cheapest frozen chicken breasts I can find and even this shit gets expensive. 13.50/kg and I have to eat around 250-500g of it every day so about 3.37-6.75 bucks a day. Alternatively I can get the same protein content from 2-4 scoops. With a tub that contains 77 servings and costs about 80 bucks, the cost adds up to 2-4 bucks and it even tastes better.

anabolic window is real though, although it has nothing to do with protein

It has actually to do with carbohydrate to glycogen conversion. Post workout its easier to store carbs in your muscles so you can fuel the next workout. Also full glycogen stores enhance protein synthesis

It's necessary to build shitty skin.

>protein powder tastes better than chicken
learn to cook

will protein powder make my acne worse?

did you read his post?

When bulking, you really don't need to use protein powder. You'll get enough either way.
However, when cutting, yes, it's really fucking helpful.

The real secret to making gains isn't the protein powder. It's a blender. You gotta throw a lot of shit into a blender including protein powder and drink that shit up. It's a lot easier to drink your macros than eat them.

Depends whether you're a manlet and whether you have a lofe or not. I'm 6'2 and have a demanding career, so have a high maintenance and little time to eat. Shakes are a godsend in terms of convenience

My friend that's a 5'8 manlet bulks on 2800 kcal / day. Id literally be a skeleton in two months on that intake

>eating carbs

enjoy being a 15%+ body fat lardass for the rest of your life and never being lean.

I don't know you guys but I say sometimes fuck metrics, programs, diets, supplementeries really too much mathematics to cope with really just go there and lift as much as you can and eat well. They trick you into a consumer fascism really. People have trained their bodies for hundreds of years, why so much bother?

you're probably an ignorant ameriturd or trolling. im mediterannean and my diet is like 80% carbs.and im 11% bf all my life.

only if you eat carbs in excess, you prick

you're also a gyno shitskin DYEL for life that is actually 18%+ body fat but is so stupid he thinks he is 11

>Cheap
BITCH THAT SHIT COST 100$ HERE AND I'M NOT EVEN AMERICAN

Simple. by eating lots of meat.

350g protein is pretty easy if you eat 4000 calories a day, which I assume is what you eat since you'll need to be on a medium+ blast and be like 220lbs at least to make use of that shit.

Kilogram of porkchops is like 220g protein alone.

Why would anyone need that much protein? It's been proven that anything 1g per pound of bodyweight(if that)will be expelled through urine. The biggest thing is calorie surplus

>Milk

Enjoy diarrhea, drink yogurt.

>carbs make you fat
dyel detected

>only 3 shakes

those shakes better have 4+ scoops

>retard fatass that isnt even strong is too stupid to understand how carbohydrates effects your body fat %

like clockwork

>1kg of red meat a day is perfectly healthy.

go read up on some studies carbs are very innefficient to store as bodyfat whereas fat is the most efficient one to store as bodyfat

You're least likely to get fat from carbs. Thats just a fact. google De novo lipogenesis

>I'M NOT EVEN AMERICAN
there's your problem
100$ is cheap for muricans

I'm in Canada and protein is pretty stupid expensive. In fact anything health based is marked up heavily to the point that it's pretty unsustainable

>being a bitch ass nigger

Alright oli, go eat your soybeans.

Speak for yourself. I was an completely average student in uni with 1 internship in 4 years and now I'm a financial analyst for a firm pulling a $59k salary my first year after graduation.

kek

Yes OP. Those muscle models that promote it actually need it to grow. The roids has zero to do with it. The entire supplement industry is legit and not built upon impressionable young suckers who are deluded by the Jewish empire weider help establish.

Why do people seem to reserve their shakes to before/after a workout? It's just extra protein, what difference does it make when you take your shake in particular?

So is the fake natty conspiracy theory part of /pol/ actually?

protein repairs muscle

your muscle is immediately stressed/torn immediately after you workout

why would you not want to begin the recovery process that leads to strength and size growth as early as you can?

Buy protein online, I live in Alberta and every GNC/Popeyes just has fucking horrible prices. I wait til November sales then buy all my protein/pre workout for the whole year

I sometimes believe this board is composed of gay retard idiots with zero understanding of biology or interest in verifying their beliefs:

breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/is-the-anabolic-window-a-myth

>When it came to building lean muscle mass, protein timing wasn’t a factor. Across all the studies, groups that gorged on protein immediately after exercise fared little better than those who simply ate the same amount of protein throughout the day

stop being a dumb lifter and believing in bro science.

>100 CAD for protein

what the fuck do you buy?
mine's 50 bucks a tub

...because I've eaten protein throughout the day so it's available for my muscles to use right as I start resting from the workout? Why does it matter? The protein is there for my body to use, protein is protein. The anabolic window in a myth .

Protein powder isn't necessary but protein is. If you can't get enough from regular food use shakes to get the extra. It's not that complicated.

No.

t. guy who gained 15 pounds of muscle in 3 months

what about creatine? does it fuck your heart up?

Question I was going to make a separate thread but it might be answered here.

I'm skinny fat, specifically in my abdominal region, and was wonder since I'm fat but have thin arms should I still take in Protein powder? Or should my stored fat serve as my protein.

>breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/is-the-anabolic-window-a-myth

>The results of this meta-analysis indicate that if a peri-workout anabolic window of opportunity does in fact exist, the window for protein consumption would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after a resistance training session.
>would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after a resistance training session.

So getting in protein either after or before you stress/tear muscle fibers WOULD be the ideal time

>Since causality cannot be directly drawn from our analysis, however, we must acknowledge the possibility that protein timing was in fact responsible for producing a positive effect and that the associated increase in protein intake is merely coincidental.
>the possibility that protein timing was in fact responsible for producing a positive effect

So yes, protein timing, especially either before or after a workout is certainly a valid notion.

are you stupid? why would you post a study that you barely read?

wat

>the window for protein consumption would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after
Key word there is "Greater". In that regard even 8 hours after workout would be "after tearing muscle fibers". If there is any window, it's not the broscience window of 1 hour before or after workout, so chugging your fucking shake on your way home isn't any more beneficial than coming home and cooking some food. It's in the fucking synopsis, the classic window doesn't exist:

>These results refute the commonly held belief that the timing of protein intake in and around a training session is critical to muscular adaptations and indicate that consuming adequate protein in combination with resistance exercise is the key factor for maximizing muscle protein accretion

Your second quote is in regards to their lack of matched studies (this was a meta analysis of multiple studies across many years and exact timing of protein intake wasn't controlled), and is a follow up to this:

>Any positive effects noted in timing studies were found to be due to an increased protein intake rather than the temporal aspects of consumption, but a lack of matched studies makes it difficult to draw firm conclusions in this regard.

They're being intellectually honest by saying that, since the exact timing wasn't taken into account in every study, there's a variable they cannot completely control; but nonetheless they still contradict the popular belief of the anabolic window, right at the damn synopsis.

mozarella cheese is good though. More protein than anything else, the one i have in my fridge is 10g protein, 4g fat, 2g carb per serving.

carbs do make you fat, especially if you don't work out
try keto, chubbs

Lol @ fucking scooplets
stay small humans

you're also a fag with no friends that puts all his money into working out

fuck off ketofag

This is bait.

Protein Powder is basically four to six slices of powdered cheese or so (good cheese not the compressed oil cheese). So ask yourself, will four to six slices of cheese make or break your muscle gain?

It's a good quick source of protein that tastes pretty good if mixed with milk instead of water, so I drink it after each workout, but it's not like the end all be all of gains.

>It's in the fucking synopsis, the classic window doesn't exist:

not once did i ever say that. i said that doing it after your exercise is the best which the article corroborates.

the entire study proves that while there is an anabolic window, it might not be as incredibly important as some may think it is. but it does most likely exist and consuming your protein before or after your exercise is most likely ideal.

why havent you killed yourself yet?

>that projection

mad im barely putting in effort and still excelling more at life than you?

It's about 1 gram per kilogram (2.2 pounds) if you're not building, it's about 1.2-1.5 per Kilogram when trying to gain.

If you don't believe me, pick up a product that lists daily protein % value, you'll notice it's based on the 0.7-1 gram per kilogram, not pound. This tub of Yogurt says 23grams of protein, 46% daily value. That means you're looking at 50 grams for the daily minimum of a 2000 calorie diet. Assuming they're going for less than 1 per kilogram, that's about a 150 pound person they're referring to in that daily value.

>Popeyes
Kek

neither of those, you're retarded.