How was Russia founded, and how did it eventually evolve into the very large nation that it is now?

How was Russia founded, and how did it eventually evolve into the very large nation that it is now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horde
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Rus'
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Rus'#Age_of_Tatar_rule
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Moscow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Rus were really good at fighting. Also Ivan the terrible. It's a mistranslation in the modern day

Rurikovichs descending upon Slav lands with their Norse cocks, grabbing as much land as possible, sucking up to Mongols and squabbling amongst one another, until Constantinople falls and the big "Third Rome" LARP begins, in which the autism is so powerful that it leads them to ravage steppeniggerdom to hell.

traded marriages with habsburgs for food and then maintained generational cqonuests over steepe peoples who were weakend by the stronger tribes settling into warmer areas. During this, war in the western areas allowed them to annex lands through allianced.

It was the only successful slav nation since it was founded by nordics and because slavs are too useless to ever develop a nation themselves

Rus never held that much territory, especially not in the west. You're also mixing up Rus with later Russia, there was a long period between the two. Muscovy claiming name "Russia" was a PR stunt to claim all the Ortodhox lands in the east. Same was done by Catherine th Great to justify Partitions of Poland.

"Modern" Russia if we can even use that term was formed by Muscovy, not KIev Rus. In fact Muscovy sacked and destroyed the last remnants of true Kiev Rus, that being Tver and entire Novgorod.
By the time of Kiev Rus, Muscovy and Novgorod they were no longer "Norse". In fact they got slavicized very quickly, all of them. Both Rurik and his men spoke Slavic, so they were no longer "Norse".
Rurikovich dynasty was Slavic, not Norse, because the founder spoke Slavic and his children as well. Keep the fantasies to the minimum.

Also, back to the subject. It wasn't Kiev Rus that created Russia. Kiev Rus was no longer around. Muscovy did, because they were elevated to the highest rank possible by their Mongol/Tatar overlords. You know how they did it? By killing their own.

>At first Uzbeg did not want to empower Moscow. In 1327, the Baskaki Shevkal, cousin of Uzbeg, arrived in Tver from the Horde, with a large retinue. They took up residence at Aleksander's palace. Rumors spread that Shevkal wanted to occupy the throne for himself and introduce Islam to the city. When, on 15 August 1327, the Mongols tried to take a horse from a deacon named Dyudko, he cried for help and a mob of furious people fell on the Tatars and killed them all. Shevkal and his remaining guards were burnt alive. Thus Uzbeg Khan began backing Moscow as the leading Russian state. Ivan I Kalita was granted the title of grand prince and given the right to collect taxes from other Russian potentates. The Khan also sent Ivan at the head of an army of 50,000 soldiers to punish Tver

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horde

Also, the "Norse" rule was irrelevant compared to Mongol/Tatar one. Scandinavians claiming Russia as their own is laughable at best.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Rus'
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Rus'#Age_of_Tatar_rule
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Moscow
>because slavs are too useless to ever develop a nation themselves
As opposed to the Norse that were a rowing band of barbarians?

No.

kill yourself nordcuck

"Yes."

Russia people were conquered and bred with Mongols. The city of Moscow was empowered by Uzbeg Khan the first Muslim leader of the golden horde. Serfdom became a thing during Peter the great's reign because the peasents we're roaming the country side raping and killing people.

bumperino

I feel that Ivan the Dreadful would have been a much better way to translate it.

Terrifying perhaps

Ivan-who-inspires-dread? "Ivan the Dreadful" in modern English again sounds like he was bad at his job.

Truth

Muscovy didn't want to pay tribute to the Golden Horde anymore, so the dude in charge at the time declared himself an Emperor to give himself some legitimacy.

Muscovy broke the (albeit weak) Tartar yoke and made efforts to centralize but descended into chaos for a time (see the false Dmitris, etc.). One poster earlier mentioned Ivan the Terrible earlier and he was instrumental in establishing an iron control over more localized elements like the Boyars and such. The Orthodox Church was also a huge factor in uniting a largely uneducated an superstitious massive population that was otherwise fractious and divergent.

Totally unrelated question, how wee the volga bulgars related to the bulgarians if at all?

Ivan the spectacular,magnificent,marvellous etc

Bulgaria was originally settled by a group of steppe nomads called the bulgar that lived near the Volga river north of the Caucasus

im just speaking out of my ass but ill assume some of them went north instead settling into bulgaria

Both were the result of Great Bulgaria, which was originally settled on the steppe above the Black Sea, being forced out of this land by the Khazars. Some went to settle on the Volga others went to settle what would become the Bulgarian Empire.

i love this movie. got to watch it with my Russian history professor, right after we finished talking about Ivan. was fukin neeto

>cites Wikipedia
>has the best post on the board.
Veeky Forums confirmed for being a nest of highschooler

Did you suck his cock?

>tfw tiny, cute slav professor wont let you gargle his based genes
why did i even go to college?

>slav
>tiny and cute

That's really to broad and general a question.
Needs an entire book to respond.
And it took over four centuries to become the huge country it was by the late 19th century.

but he was!
>demonstrating the physical stature of peter the great
>"so im about the size of your average Russian peasant in the early 1700s.
>"peter was nearly this tall."
>professor hops up on nearby chair
>still smol
>sheepishly looks around amid quite chuckles
>"OK so maybe a little taller than this"
this was a few weeks after the Russian village life fanfics he did on the board. 11/10 guy.

>college education = watching a manlet jump on chairs
>people are actually paying for this
Humanities were a mistake

How humorless your life must be, my autistic NEET friend

>how can people have fun in academia!
>this is serious shit!
t.shitter who got his gde.

>people are allowed to laugh in a formal environment?
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah you'll have fun flipping burgers lmao

Did you even go to college?

Yep, accounting.

Jesus Christ, now that's horrifying. I was lucky enough to take up translating, but honestly, I pity your soul

What's your salary?

What? I ain't American, so how can we compare? I make more than 90% of the rest of the population where I'm from

>translator makes more money than 90% of the country
Do you work for the UN in Mogadishu or something?

I speak 5 languages. That sure as shit helps. And no, I'm Youropoor

I also speak 5. Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian, Montenegrin and English.

Your people don't really like talking to each other that much. Also, Bosnian and Montenegrin are barely languages tebehe. Bosnian is a transitional dialect(at most) and Montenegrin is really just Southern Serbian. Good on you tho.

just post salaries from in your own country's currencies
already.
>i speak 4 types of Serbian and English.
>south Slavs believe this

Also, I'm not you absolute mong

That's the joke you faggot.

sorry, i fucked up my >>'s.

post income in your country's currency.

6000 what and when

Read Berdyaev, his book "The Russian Idea" was read by Putin, who then went on to force all his cabinet members to read it.

So what you mean is you speak two languages and can read Cyrillic lettering.