Is Caligula the primary example of what whould happen when a mentally retarded man suddenly got too much power?

Is Caligula the primary example of what whould happen when a mentally retarded man suddenly got too much power?

Caligula wasn't retarded at all, he just loved to troll senators and make them autistically butthurt.

Caligula wasnt retarded, he was psychologically damaged and mentally ill thanks to years of abuse and trauma that absolutely fucking destroyed his psyche.

Nero was more of an autistic manchild, and Commodus was the retarded, sociopathic one. Caracalla too.

No that would be groompf

he was a degenerate. Only the christians were worse

>when a mentally retarded man suddenly got too much power

hmm....remind me of someone

Caligula wasn't retarded

Neither were Commodus or Caracalla. Commodus was a psychopath and Caracalla had an incredibly violent temper but they weren't stupid.

I think the only Emperors I'd describe as very intensely stupid to the point of legitimately possibly being retarded would be Honorius, Valentinian III and Phocas.

So is Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un

have we forgotten about /ourguy/ so quickly?

That was fast

Mary Beard postulates that the idea of Caligula as a maniac was propagated by simple bias and ancient "fake news".
Rodney Stark, for instance, highlights how Tacitus described the Germanic peoples as "lazy" and idle dunderheads, when the opposite was the case, their trade networks were sophisticated, their metallurgical capabilities surpassed Rome, and their agricultural innovations would change the world. Roman historians were incredibly full of shit and I would not trust them.
Would a CNN-endorsed biography of Trump depict him impartially?

All of the replies nailed it and I'm genuinely proud of Veeky Forums right now for that.

>the only Emperors I'd describe as very intensely stupid to the point of legitimately possibly being retarded would be Honorius, Valentinian III and Phocas.
What did they do?

Shillary Clinton if she had won?

Not anymore now that we have Trump

Trump has always been powerful though.

Caligula was some kid who was getting raped by his uncle one day and then became emperor the next

This is an example of a ruler gonne crazy, maybe always had been but nobody ever saw it

>Maria's madness was first officially noticed in 1786, when Maria had to be carried back to her apartments in a state of delirium. Afterward, the queen's mental state became increasingly worse. In May 1786, her husband died; Maria was devastated and forbade any court entertainments.

End up with her son as regent while court fleed to Brazil because Napoleon was invading

Trump may be incompetent and narcissistic but the US is yet to trully see a retard president

> "At that time they say that the Emperor Honorius in Ravenna received the message from one of the eunuchs, evidently a keeper of the poultry, that Rome had perished. And he cried out and said, 'And yet it has just eaten from my hands!' For he had a very large cock."

- Procopius, The Vandalic War (III.2.25–26)

> Heroic father dies because of a plot by his uncle
> Mother dies opposing said uncle
> Brothers die due to "suspected" rebellion
> You are then summoned to Capri by said uncle and live with him for six years, probably raped by him as well.

I don't blame the guy for being such an asshole.

Mary Beard also postulates that the Romans in ancient Britain were black, so I don't really care much about what she has to "postulate."

Wasn't the first part of his reign quite reasonable? I had always heard that he had a stroke and went full retard afterwards.

I'm seriously skeptical of the kind of people who think they can just write off figures like Caligula as "retarded". It reeks of being afraid of actually getting in his head and understanding.