Official Catholic Veeky Forums General

>heretics (protestants) and pagans need not reply

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witches
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hayyyyyyy

I've been writing some meditations on excerpts from Saints' books, some prayers, and occasionally passages from the Bible.

I've been thoroughly enjoying it :-)

not Veeky Forums

daily reminder Martin Luther introduced literacy to Europe

thanks Martin Luther!

>heretics and pagans need not reply
Can't stop me, lmao

rate my rosary beads

Any Rosary is a good Rosary as long as you pray on it daily, as Our Lady of Fatima requested.

beautiful tools you have there user

is the only board on Veeky Forums that accepts RP

My nigga

this is now a missouri synod thread

OBSCURE&NON-CATHOLICS WORTH READING

Epic of Gilgamesh
Tao Te Ching
Socrates
Plato
Aristotle
Homer
Virgil
Cicero
Beowulf
The Song of Roland
Völsunga saga
Boethius
Koran
Langland
Pearl Poet
Shakespeare
Milton
Tolstoy
Dostoyevsky
Solzhenitsyn
Melville
Borges
Beckett

IDOL WORSHIPERS

Anyone got the New Jerome Biblical Commentary? It looks really good, and I've used it at my uni's library. Think it's worth the hefty price tag?

>There still isn't an acceptable literal Catholic bible

RSV-2CE and NABRE are good

>NABRE are good
The translation that was so fucked that even the USCCB (who are ultra-liberal) decided to stick with a older edition?

For liturgy, dude, they have their own revision of the NAB for liturgy that you can't even buy. They approved NABRE for reading and devotion, and their recommendations were accepted by the NABRE translations. The real reason to get it is the footnotes and introductions which are great.

In any case RSV-2CE is pretty much perfect and is word for word.

How does it feel to have lost power to your secular humanist cousins?

Who is that?

Feels bad because we let them have it without a fight because of the spirit of V2 which wrecked the Catholic political spirit.
Reading Carl Schmitt and dante. First time reading him in English, not a fan of the translation. It's a rhytmic prose translation, making it very unpoetic and far less powerful in expression.

I recently finished Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, a very Catholic novel.

Sometimes I find it depressing to realize there are hardly any good novels written by Catholics. Most of the best books in the American and English canons are by Protestants.

Anyway, for those who are interested, here is a list of Catholic novelists I organized by national origin.

American
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
-Ernest Hemingway
-Jack Kerouac
-Flannery O'Connor
-Walker Percy
-George Santayana
-John Kennedy Toole
-Gene Wolfe

English
-Anthony Burgess
-G. K. Chesterton
-Graham Greene
-J. R. R. Tolkien
-Evelyn Waugh

French
-Honoré de Balzac
-Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly
-Georges Bernanos
-Leon Bloy
-Joris-Karl Huysmans
-François Mauriac
-Jean Raspail

German
-Heinrich Böll
-Alfred Döblin
-Erich Maria Remarque

Irish
-James Joyce
-Flann O'Brien

Italian
-Alessandro Manzoni

Japanese
-Shusaku Endo

Spanish
-Miguel de Cervantes
-Miguel de Unamuno

Ive been going through the Greek bible studying passages and its really changed my view of the religion. I wish I was more familiar with the meanings of the greek words rather than trying to make sense of it through translation though.

Were Kerouac, Hemingway and Fitzgegrald in any way influenced by their Catholic background? It doesn't feel right putting atheists in the selection. Gives the wrong impression for those who are looking for Catholic lit.

Rate my anal beads

everyone remember to report this

Don't pretend to be so petty and stupid. Plenty of godless men have been Jews and Christians, according to the Psalms, or from what we can observe in our daily life. Nonetheless, there are definitely Catholic themes in those authors' work. Yes, they did not live saintly lives, but few of us do.

This Side of Paradise by Fitzgerald features a scene where the main character talks to a priest (or was it a bishop?). In fact, the main character's mother has a very close friendship with this member of clergy.

Hemingway lived most of his life in Catholic countries and he went to various pilgrimage sites with his third wife, a Catholic. He certainly wasn't a model Catholic, but he held a reverence for the faith above the religion of the WASP set he grew up with in the suburbs of Chicago.

Kerouac struggled with his faith, but towards the end, repented and returned. He often wrote Marian devotions in his manuscripts. In fact, Kerouac is one of the most sincerely Catholic writers of the many I have read. He was led astray by Buddhism and his wayward life, but he constantly returned to his faith. T

They're flawed men, true, but since when have novelists ever been saints? Or artists, for that matter? Bernini, the great Vatican sculptor, did not lead a model life, nor did plenty of Vatican popes.

>he went to various pilgrimage sites with his third wife, a Catholic
lol at this statement

Undset Undset Undset

why did our thread get moved? How is this not Veeky Forums related? There's always a catholic Veeky Forums thread

>tfw King James Bible has been around for 400 years while the heretics still have nothing

Feels good to be a true Christian

>redirecting it to Veeky Forums
>not /x/

> only 2 spanish writers
wew lad

The mod seems to be a massive faggot. We've been having these for years.

>King
>James
>Bible
>cockroaches call catholics papist when they read a Bible edited by a secular ruler who was a retard
>not only did he believe in witches but he also codified anti-witchcraft laws, and that the testimonies of children would be acceptable in court in whitch trials which in turn led to the execution of 2 whole families
>mfw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witches

>God resurrects some dead lady just to remind everyone to play with beads while they pray

what is this dude's damage, fucking ineffable

Still don't understand how "Christians" today don't think witchcraft/demons aren't actually real because it's mentioned in scripture on more than one occasion, and NOT metaphorically

Mary was a sinner, she will not offer you salvation

KJV Ecclesiastes is some of the best English prose ever written

>Mary was a sinner
No
>she will not offer you salvation
Who claims that she does?

Hold up user. Mary was human, she was most definitely a sinner. Only Jesus was without Sin, that was kind of the point

>it looks good so it has theological value

IQ 89

>Hold up user. Mary was human
So was Jesus
>she was most definitely a sinner
Not according to the apostolic tradition
>Only Jesus was without Sin, that was kind of the point
So were the angels, not sure how that would lessen Jesus in any way.

>tell gf she has to convert if she wants me to propose to her
>she realized I'm not kidding
>hear from my priest she inquired about RCIA and is starting in september

all according to keikaku...

You think that was a spell to make a girl fall asleep so the caster could Cosby her?

Monophysitism is the only way.

>krautshit memes
Leave

Only if you rate mine:
>Cow bone
>Yak bone
>Snake vertebrae
>Onyx
>Jasper
>Agate
>Citrine
>Fluorite