Is SS is a meme is a meme a meme or is SS is a meme is a meme not a meme?

is SS is a meme is a meme a meme or is SS is a meme is a meme not a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

newbie-fitness.blogspot.si/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PPL is a meme.

Lifting is a meme

SS is not a Meme

SS is a meme.

SS is a meme is a meme is a meme.

Meme is a SS.

Ss is the second best novice routine.

Greyskull is ss, with improvements.

Sl is ss, with stupidity
Icf is sl, with arm isolations

Gslp>ss>sl>icf>power gap >any other novice routine > not following a legit routine

Ppl isnt terrible for intermediates, but it also is suboptimal.

Fullbody is great, u/l splits are great PP+L splits are alright, and PPL are slightly less good.

But to be fair, you can have a fb or u/l routine with garbage VIF and a PPL with great VIF.

So it comes down to individual routine management of VIF, more than what split you use.

memes are a meme

If I wanted a meme I'd get your mom's vagina to log onto her quickmeme.com account since the last thing that came out of her vagina was a meme.

>Greyskull is ss, with improvements.
yeah, if slower progression can be called an improvement.

>Sl is ss, with stupidity
Care to elaborate? I get that it's basically SS but has an app and 2 extra sets and better marketing but as far as the actual program how does it warrant "ss with stupidity"?

5x5 is a meme you need to do accessory

SS + GOMAD = Trump voter
This meme is clearly for Amerifags. Only place where such memery can happen.

not him, but every single change SL makes from SS makes it worse for reasons that have been explained here a million times. it's not a terrible routine, but it's just a less efficient version of SS.

So no answer then?

Confirmed for not having read the book.

Less deloads =/= slower progress.

Or do you think you can add 30lb to your squat a week for 6 months straight?

protip: you cannot.

Every single modifcation is detrimental. More volume is useless, if you are getting progressive overload from added weight, because it impedes the rate at which you add weight. You should be approaching your MRV just from 3x5. If not, then add weight. If you can't then deload. If you still can, then hop off a linear progression program.

Except maybe doing a horizontal pull (row) instead of a floor pull (power clean)

Pc are awesome, especially for sports athletes, but it is a little less balanced vis-a-vis rear delt work.

Which is why i prefer phrak's variant of gslp, for that good good body symmetry

>deadlifting once a week
Nah I'm good.

Doing rows instead of cleans is an improvement for 95% of novices, but I agree that the higher volume is stupid.

Took me from 235x1 (untrained - first time ever deadlifting) to 410x5

..but to each their own.

I would rather have the extra pulling frequency than dl frequency.

But then i never really fell for the "deadlifts build big backs" meme

>phrak's variant of gslp

Even still, i would rather tell a noob to follow ss, replacing pc with rows.

Especially if it means they are going to read the book now, where they might not have otherwise.

nice meme pic

meme replies

Nice delt:arm ratio

I will assume you do not isolate arms?

If you do, you have insane delt genetics

He doesn't look bad. But really, the only modification he did was doing rows instead of curls in the original program, you don't need to be a coach to figure out it's better that way.

Yep.
We all know squatting 3x a week instead of 2x a week makes you fat, and your upper body gains nonexistent.

Because weight gain has everything to do with routine and nothing to do with caloric intake.

Because if you dont do curls you will have no upper body.

Good thing we are too smart to fall for the ss meme xD

Didn't he also take out neckharness and dom videos?

> untrained deadlift over 2plate

either you're lying or you don't understand the meaning of untrained, probably both

Phraks variant isnt a modification.

Read the book.

You are SUPPOSED to craft your own variant.

Not like ss where there is only one program

But yes, training back is infinitely better than training arms, even for growing arms

Not lying

Had never trained with weights ever.

Was stronk because used to wrestle, and was fat. But at the time i had lost most the fat, and hadnt wrestled for years (also was kinda weak for my weight class, but the other guys lifted, i think.)
Not everyone is super scrawny and weak their first time in a gym.

So is phraks variant good for beginners? Or should I do sl?

Phraks is the BEST for beginners,
Definitely don't do sl

Neck harness is optional, as far as I'm aware. Personally, if I included neck work, I'd rather do neck curls, because it works the neck flexors, which fixes the head forward posture, unlike working extensors, which makes it worse.
I read it like 1,5 years ago, I don't remember everything from it.
An untrained 2 plate deadlift isn't that uncommon, I deadlifted with my fat friend once and he pulled 110kg on his first day, despite being a gamer and doing almost no physical activity whatsoever. It was a 1x bodyweight pull though, so it's not that impressive.

I've been doing SL 5x5 for like a month now, should I switch to SS or Grey skull? I'm still a noob so

Just do SL. Phrak is literally the main moderator of reddit fitness and dyel af. You only deadlift once a week and deload 10% each time you miss a rep.

Anyone?. Something I've been wondering the past few days.

>I've been doing X for a month. Should I switch? One person on an anime imageboard said I should switch.

Sheiko is dyel af.

He still has some of the best programming around.

Deloading on greyskull is better than deloading on ss or sl, because you can hit prs on a deload (amrap sets) and get progressive overload on a deload, thus getting muscle growth on a deload.

Greyskull is superior

Just drop the volume down to 3x5, and you'll be fine. You can switch to Greyskull LP, but that will result in slower squat and deadlift gains.

That would have been a fair point, except he almost certainly got his original idea from the same source (a rando on Veeky Forums Veeky Forums told him to)

Keep at it and do what it says
You've already started, just finish.

I would say to stick with it for at least 12 weeks before jumping routines. Even if you said you were already doing SS or GSLP I'd say the same thing.
Agreed.

>slower squat and deadlift gains.

Anyone who thinks this is true needs to fucking read the book.
And/or consider the following

1.jim scheaffer trained countless athletes on ss, but modified to program to see better results
2. You cannot add 30lb to your squat every week for 6 months
3. You cannot add 20lb to your deadlift every week for 6 months.

Just.fucking.read.the.goddamned.book

Smaller units of progression leads to more consisten progression (thus better gains)

Higher volume on a deload leads to better gains as well.

Every modification to ss done by jim scheaffer was done to increase the gains. Not decrease them

Does this imply you go AMRAP even on deadlift? And once a week??

PDF link to book?

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that dropping the frequency from 3x a week to 2x a week on squats will somehow result in better gains (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, I'd rather have a bit of slower progress so my upper body doesn't lag too far behind, but the point still stands). And SS doesn't have really fixed units for progression, it gives you quite a bit of room to progress at your own pace depending on your demographic and individual circumstances. The AMRAP set is a great idea though, probably one of the strongest aspects of the GSLP program.

>You cannot add 30lb to your squat every week for 6 months
Who is saying you can
>You cannot add 20lb to your deadlift every week for 6 months.
who is saying you can

>ss doesnt have fixed units for progression
Have you read the book? I think not.
>how is getting more recovery between squatting sessions beneficial to progress?
Kys, tard

Oh, so you agree with jim scheaffer's approach to progression, then.

Good to know

>inb4 some retarded ass reasoning saying deloads are useful for anything other than increased recovery

No, but you will also understand that infographic =\= the greyskull book.

Also get the curls and skullcrushers outta there, that is not part of phrak's variant

Yeah, this too. The book explicitly says that the 30lbs progression per week will last a very short time, later on you'll have to drop down to 15lbs, which is 5lbs per workout, which is the same as GSLP anyway, just with higher frequency.
Initially (the first few weeks) you can progress 10-15lbs per workout, but later on you're expected to drop it down to 5lbs (same as GSLP), and you can do less than that if you're a woman or old, which is why I say it isn't fixed. 48 hours of recovery is enough for beginners, you don't need more than that until you become intermediate.

he changed the program because his athletes bitched when he put them on ss and said the deloads kept people motivated to stay on the program. it's literally in the first couple pages of the book lol

why are people this autistic about novice programs. they're basically all the same and if u use any common sense u know ss is more aggressive with progression

good luck with ur mental gymnastics I guess

>i know more about routine crafting and strength coaching than jim scheaffer
Mmhmm
I think i am done with this thread.

Have fun pretending more deloads = more gains

SS is a meme is not a meme!

Poor reading comprehension/10

Ss IS more aggressive with progression.

Too agressive, in fact.

Too many deloads, not enough gains

Is Veeky Forums version a meme? Also
>Not doing SS recommended way to know your first working weights and then doing whatever you want

It is literally the icf of greyskull..

So yes

>I know more about routine crafting and strength coaching than Mark Rippetoe
Both of us are faceless anons, no point in playing the appeal to authority card here. I'm not saying more deloads = more gains, I'm saying more frequency = more gains, which is true. If this argument that 3x a week squatting is too much was true, then how come SS has been proven to produce massive gains on the squat? Its critics (including myself) can find many faults with it, but squat progression is not one of them. I don't even want to defend SS, I prefer GSLP for its other aspects, but if getting the biggest squat was my objective, you bet I'd be squatting 3x a week.

Perhaps I do, but who am I supposed to be disagreeing with, then?

Jim scheaffer knows more about strength coaching and routine crafting than mark rippetoe**

More frequent progressive overload = more gains

More squatting sessions =/= more progressive overload sessions on the squat

>can't back up claims
>asked direct questions
>I think i am done with this thread.

That's "don't bother replying I'm leaving but before I go ur wrong fgt bye" tier

Ostensibly you dont know enough to hold an opinion

If anyone wants to know without question you are wrong, they need only to read greyskull, and watch dr. Mike israetel's interview on training frequency

>More squatting sessions =/= more progressive overload sessions on the squat
As a general rule, it actually does hold true. Sure, you might get a bit more stalls on 3x a week, but that only happens every few months. The extra frequency with progressive overload that you accumulated during those few months will in the long term result in more overall progressive overload than the potential advantage of less deloads on 2x a week squatting. This is why GSLP is the only novice program that has 2x a week squatting, every other that I've seen has 3x a week.

Yes, I do not know enough. As such, I try to approach others with that knowledge so I may learn from them.
So, again, since you are so wise and I would like to learn from you, who is it that is of the particular opinion that you're so adamant in your disagreement with?

Right.
He dropped the squatting frequency, and saw improvements in the squatting strength of his clients..

But lets keep doing 3x a week because other people do it too

>deloads only happen every few months.
Kek.
So lets say you deload thrice in six months.

The rest of the time you are adding 30lb to your squat a week?
Get real

As a general rule, you should learn from books, scientific literature, and interviews of qualified experts.

As a genrral rule, you should not treat Veeky Forums as a legitimate source of information.

With that in mind, consider reading greyskull

How about the 'stripped' 5x5? the one that is just squats, chest press and pullups as workout A and deadlifts, rows and shoulder press as workout B.

is that a meme squared? am i wasting my time?

Solid stuff, just dont be afraid to drop to 3x5 after your first deload.

Unless you are doing old school 5x5 where the first two sets are warm up sets, in which case nevermind.

Also generally only one workset per deadlift training session is sufficient, what with all the wamr up sets and such

I found a PDF of it and it looks like all of the variants are meme names like FAT LOSS/TONING, BUTT PROGRAM, and literally has a part programming zumba class and elliptical trainer. I'm not even shitting you. I'm talking about the 2nd Ed. Is that the book you are recommending?

I dont recall any of that offhand, but there are a lot of variants.

Toning is real, it just means increasing stabilization endurance (i was surprised by this too, NASM taught me something, though)

Jim scheaffer is also a master of body composition manipulation.

Nothing wrong with big butts either.

>newbie-fitness.blogspot.si/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
>“5x5” means you do 5 sets of 5 repetitions each, with each successive set heavier than the last. For instance, for the barbell bench press you might start with 5 reps at 45 pounds for your first set, and then do 5 reps at 55 pounds, 65 pounds, 75 pounds and 85 pounds.

Apparently it's supposed to be ramping sets. Makes sense, it would be retarded to do 5x5 deadlifts

Yea, maybe keep the exercise selection, and go for ss or greyskull style worksets and progression model

hey, thanks for the reply man.

so the 'stripped' 5x5 has ramping weight increase. e.g. for dumbbell chest press id do a set of 5 reps of 12kg, 14kg, 16kg, 18kg, 20kg. is that a meme?

my buddy told me im just tiring myself out before i reach heavier weights, is he right?

also, do you think i should add dips and bicep curls to the routine? i was thinking dips on workout A and curls on workout B. i want dem aesthetic arms

> 30lbs a week for 6 months
Confirmed for retard who didn't read SS

>73 / 3 / 19 / 1
>that dyel greyskull shill

>Autism

If you want bigger triceps, train delts and chest more.

If you want bigger biceps, train back more.

Not even memeing. Tiny arm muscles cant handle as much training volume as bigger muscles.

You dont want shitty proportions.

Arm isolations are literally for roiders, who's arms will be underdeveloped compared to delts if they do nott isolate.

Natty lifters will never have this problem

>implying i am getting monetary compensation for my shitposting
>implying i am dyel

Nope, just autistic

do you guys think the ramping model is good? i like it because im still working out the crinkles in my form and i feel like the design is built for newbies to avoid injuring themselves.

shall i keep doing these ramping sets till i've reach 12 weeks into the program and then change to the regular SS style?

Drop the ramping sets.

Do warm up sets and worksets like regular people

Rest after warm up sets

Decrease reps as you get closer to working weight.

So say you bench 135

Maybe do empty bar x 5
Then 95x3-5
Then 125x1
Rest 3-5 mins, then do 3x5 your 135 working weight

You saying I ought to read greyskull is Veeky Forums telling me to read greyskull, innit?
I mean, user is user and you're user. Why your word above all others?

any exercises you can recommend i build into that 'stripped' 5x5 programme then?

>you should check out this source of information
=\=
>here is the relevant information

Are you legit tard, brah?

If you feel the need to accessorize, then side lateral raise (on your ohp day) and either shrugs or calf raises.

I am of the opinion that delts, traps, and calves can never get too big as a natty

When you get more advanced, and your ohp progression stalls, i recommend you impliment push press into your routine

Hello guys, I'm an older guy
Posting here not to ask for the best routine but for a routine to start weightlifting in a month. I have no injuries but squatting and deadlifting gives me a lot of discomfort in my lower back. I want to start and not stop again for the pain like in the past. I am going to do be exercises and stretches, what else?

Proper form, ya dingus

Also never work above your 3rm on any lift, unless you intend to start powerlifti, which i highly doubt you do

Is it a legitimate source, tho? After all, it's Veeky Forums telling me that it's legitimate, and as the good student I am, I no longer trust what it tells me, especially on the matter of source reliability. It seems to be of the opinion that the mysterious couch of 30lbs squat gains after 6 weeks is considered reliable by some of this particular board, what with your insistence on his wrongness.

Holy shit just do ss or greyskull. It literally doesn't matter as long as you follow the routines correctly. You're still a noob you're still gonna make noon gains

Independtly verify the veracity of the source, rather than asking for invalid spoonfeeding on the fourth chan

SS

You don't need to squat or deadlift to get fit and have a good physique

>look mom i posted it again
I love ss, but can we stop pretending rippetoe ever looked like that?

Young mark doesnt even look similar to that

>young mark doesn't even look similar to that

I understand that the average gym personal trainer (the free ones that helps anyone in the gym here in Europe) may be not that good but they always approved my form. I have APT and I'm afraid it's linked

What separates "valid" spoonfeeding from "invalid" spoonfeeding? Am I right to assume it is location, that being Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums board?

Blasphemer!!!

No but seriously i only hip thrust, and am happy with my physique.

I never mention that on Veeky Forums, though.

This board is a little too obsessed with those lifts, which makes sense because normies are not nearly obsessed enough with these lifts.

But all beginner programs have them, you kind of can't avoid them unless you make yourself a routine (probably shitty)

Just do the leg press and rowing machine in their place.

Misleading google screen shots would be more effective if
1.literally everyone viewing that pic didnt have access to google
2. Any of those three pictures looked even kinda close to him

8/10 well executed troll, even if a tad stale

>powerlifting usa cover has the name roger estep, and the picture of roger estep deadlifting
>google text says "dang, i was about to say if that was mark, that would be really impressive"
Why did that guy give you 8/10

I say 6/10 at best