Is keto a meme? lots of people (including cr1tikal) say that it's an efficient way to lose fat...

is keto a meme? lots of people (including cr1tikal) say that it's an efficient way to lose fat, as well as keep muscle mass. for those who have done keto, were you able to replicate these said results?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet).
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12679447
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27114827
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think it's a meme. It will help you lose fat in the short term but the whole diet itself puts tremendous stress on your body, constantly. I can't imagine how bad that can be for your body in a few years.

Keto only works because it is nearly impossible to do it right without _very_ carefully watching and counting what you eat. You also have to learn the macronutrient profile of everything you eat.

The ketofags that don't count usually fail.

Any diet where you look that carefully at the calories will be effective at losing weight.

The fact that it is so incredibly hard to stay in ketosis, and that your body always prefers using carbs for energy first, should tell you something about how natural and healthy keto is.

Cutting out a macronutrient is retarded. You can lose the same amount of weight and keep muscle by eating a well-rounded diet. Keto is a crash diet that is set up for failure in the long-term, even if you follow it perfectly

>(including cr1tikal)

Yes.

An actual ketogenic diet is used to control epilepsy in children (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet). The macronutrient breakdown is 80f/15p/5c.

The 60f/30p/10c "keto" in the fitness industry is a meme.

Ketosis is not really good for your brain.

Your brain only uses glucose as an energy source, and you only get glucose from the brain.

Ketogenic diets are for the morbidly obese. It's a risk/reward assesment a doctor does to say 'okay, the potential risks of a ketogenic diet are worth the reward of you being at a healthy weight'.

It's not for normal people to lose weight. As always the best diet is one you can stick to. Most people can't cut out carbs.

Eat lots of fiber, some protein, a few carbs and a little fat. That's all you need to know about macros.

>you only get glucose from the brain.

I mean you only get glucose from carbohydrates.

Morbidly obese and diabetics.

No you're just splitting hairs.

From What i've read is that keto works just as good as any diet as long your calorie is deficit.

Your body stores both carbs and fat equally so if you eat 100 carbs and 100 fats then it will store 50 of each, if you were to eat 130 fat and 70 carbs it would still try to store equally of each, remaining gets turned in to energy, but when on keto you have a much greater fat intake than that and your glycogen is at minimum, remember you will NEVER be empty on glycogen, so your body needs to send out ketogens to break down fat cells into glucose. So if you eat like 30 carbs and 250 fats your body stores most of the carbs and a much bigger amount of fat BUT it then sends out ketogenes to take the fat it just stored to use as energy.
So sure you burn much more fat on keto, but you store just as much too.

Tl:dr : keto doesn't matter.

Any tips for bulking on keto? I've been at it for 3 weeks but it's hard to eat 3.5K calories without any carbs

GOD DAMN IT SON THIS POST IS SO FULL OF SHIT, GO READ UP ON A TOPIC BEFORE YOU GO AND SPOUT BULLSHIT LIKE THIS. AFTER ADAPTATION YOUR LIVER CONVERTS FATS TO GLUCOSE WHICH IS WHY YOU DON'T DIE FROM A KETOGENIC DIET.

Only if you think losing 2lbs of fat week is a meme.

Keto is for fatties and nothing more. They like the fatty food and don't do cardio anyway, so they can do without carbs. It's NOT better than any other diet at the same deficit, it's actually potentially worse.

Fats have no thermic effect, carbs do. At the same deficit, you'll lose more fat when you get plenty of carbs instead of fat. Carbs, especially complex (SQUATS AND OATS) are great if you actually do cardio, and you'll be able to lose fat even faster. Ask any keto fag if they've actually done some lifting or gone for a jog without carb cycling.

Ketofags are the vegan crossfitters of Veeky Forums

>At the same deficit, you'll lose more fat when you get plenty of carbs instead of fat.

Literally no evidence to support this.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12679447

>Subjects were randomized to 6 months of either an ad libitum very low carbohydrate diet or a calorie-restricted diet with 30% of the calories as fat.
>The very low carbohydrate diet group lost more weight (8.5 +/- 1.0 vs. 3.9 +/- 1.0 kg; P < 0.001) and more body fat (4.8 +/- 0.67 vs. 2.0 +/- 0.75 kg; P < 0.01) than the low fat diet group.

Go suck a chode, do some fucking research.

Nobody who looks like they lift and is natty does keto (on roids you can play pingpong and get big so those people are irrelevant in this discussion 2bh)
ketofags are always DYEL - either fattys or skinnyfats. they think the results they see are because of keto and not just because of the deficit. after they lose the desired amount of weight they either stop and never start lifting, or start lifting and realize they need carbs to build any muscle and not pass out during workouts

I will usually hop on board the keto train when I'm trying to cut the final 5-10 lbs. I notice an immense drop in water weight & bloating, which is nice. After the "keto flu," my head is really clear. I supplement caffeine for carbs. If I stay on it for 2 or more weeks, I'll notice a significant decrease in fat, increase in vascularity & virtually no change in muscle mass or strength. The latter of which sort of sucks, but whatever. I look so much better. If I don't eat enough, I feel like Absolut shit, tho.

No, it's a real thing that people do. It's not just a running Internet joke.

What's wrong with cr1tikal? He looks like he's making it.

this lmao

If you read your study, the groups didn't have the same calorie deficit. For most of the study, the low carb group ate at least 100 less calories per day than the other group, which over 6 months can make a big difference. When controlled for calories, fat is not better.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052

I lost 30 lbs in college before spring break by doing Keto. Lots of cheese, pork rinds & Carl's Jr. low carb burgers.

Keto is not a meme in theory. Biologically, you're just forcing your body to use fat for energy instead of carbs. This works by inducing ketosis which happens when you deprive the body of carbs. Kinda like how a fat person can still live on the fat without eating. However, most people fuck it up because they aren't careful of what they eat and it's bad for your body.

It's a meme yeah. I'm serious. It's a bad idea. Just do a Low-Carb Low-Calorie diet, which is basically a regular ass cut, not keto. note: a lot of keto people call all low-carb diets keto, THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

Keto is real, it has significant results.
The problem is maintaining it for long times can be unhealthy. The conversion of protein/fat to glucose is not efficient at all and you'll need to track macros a little more religiously than other diets or you'll get the carb deprivation sickness (headaches, body aches, drunken type feeling).
The one time I tried it, I had good results, but I was tired often and slept a lot when I wasn't active.

Not him but the body is only able to convert about 2/3 of the energy usually needed.
That's why running a ketogenic diet is not advised over a longer period of time.
Unless you have no choice of course like when diabetic or allergic to a shit ton of foods.

It's not a meme.

Keto refers to a ketogenic diet which means you eat NO carbs and make your body fuck itself trying to get sugar out of fat and protein.

If you're still eating carbs you're not doing a keto diet, you're just dieting, which is good because ketogenic diets are retarded for almost all normal people.

>Keto is not a meme in theory. Biologically, you're just forcing your body to use fat for energy instead of carbs

That's where keto gets the most memey. If you eat a high fat diet, you'll use DIETARY fat for energy, because that's what you're giving your body to use. If you're in a calorie deficit, you'll use body fat for energy whether you're eating keto or carbo because it requires more energy to run your body and that's the back-up supply of energy.

So does keto affect performance in the gym in any way?

Jesus, how long were you holed up in the shitter for usually?

when you're doing keto there's no performance at the gym to speak of
everybody who disagrees is dyel. sadly, ketofags don't lift and so the keto meme continues

its only hard to stay in ketosis if u eat out every night, having to constantly guesstimate the carbs in ur Stuffed Chicken Marsala and bread stick from Olive Garden while talking to ur friends about how good crossfit is now that u've been doing it for 2 weeks.

buy some fuckin chicken, beef, fish, vegetables, and rice and eat that shit for 3 meals a day. eat that shit. if u wanna lose weight count ur fuckin calories. that's it u fuckin idiot.

as long as u produce ketones then ur in ketosis u dumb nigger.

>rice
>keto

its like every1 of u r fuckin retarded when it comes to how. simple. it. is.

sometimes u eat veggies, sometimes u make a salad. sometimes u use em for a side. sometimes u have beef, other times chicken.

sometimes u eat some rice. like holy shit its not fuckin hard. just dont eat a fuckin bowl of it like u normally do u fucking fat shit

You're always producing ketones. Ketosis is specifically when you produce so many ketones that your body can't get rid of them fast enough. I doubt most people trying keto actually buy keto sticks and monitor their ketone levels.

>keto
>sometimes u eat some rice

this is actually correct. its not an on/off thing people make it out to be.

sometimes u can eat bread too

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052
That shit was measured over 6 days. You don't even go into ketogenesis until day 3 or 4.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27114827
>Despite comparable adherence between groups, a low-carbohydrate diet was associated with greater reductions in body weight and improvement in body composition, while a low-fat diet was not associated with weight loss.

I'm pretty new so sorry if this is a stupid question, but who is keto for?

Is it just for people trying to lose weight/fat?

I'm a skelly, so there's no benefit of keto for me, right?

it's a meme diet for fatties trying to lose weight who are convinced they need some special tricks to do it
as a skeleton you should eat a metric ton of carbs a day

A properly controlled trial like that can't go on for as long as the less rigid trials, but regardless of ketosis, high fat was not more advantageous than high carb.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27114827

This doesn't even list information on what their caloric intake was, or any useful information about either group's diet.

I see. thanks

I think it works just as well as about any other diet.

I personally dislike it. The whole "keto flu" thing when you first start was real for me. Some people don't get it at all. I couldn't even go to class for 2 days. Legitimately felt like the flu.

i'd echo this.
i'm actually running keto right now
it's hard, very hard, but i really need to lose ~20lbs, so whatever
couldnt do it forever. you have no real energy for training, but training can take a back burner for a couple weeks

ultimately, try it. if you cant do the first 3 days - and many people cant - it's not for you
if you can, go 4 it

>Your brain only uses glucose as an energy source, and you only get glucose from the brain.

if u go from a disproportionate amount of carbs to little-to-no-carbs then u will feel drained and ill. but ur body will adjust.

Yeah, eventually you get used to feeling like shit and you don't care anymore

Keto works but it's bad for you long term.

I used to do keto on my cuts, I liked it because it was easier, I was NEVER hungry, and being hungry makes me agitated and slightly depressed.

I don't do keto anymore for a few reasons: It made me smell bad, It made me lift lower weights during my cut and It made me less energetic.

So it has a few minuses, but it's easy, your choice.

Im on week 4 of less than 25g carbs per day. Down 20lbs, but up in muscle since i started lifting at the same time. Ive learned new recipes, and have prepared all food myself except one salmon and broccoli lunch. Even got the ketone strips. Seems that fit is right, it makes you look better short term if youre new to fitness in general. If yer already fit, it wont help

>It's not for normal people to lose weight. As always the best diet is one you can stick to.

>the best diet is one you can stick to

oh so a diet that makes you generally feel less hungry all the time, like keto does?

meme, confirmed ketosis with sticks, lost mass but lots of muscle too, workouts suffered greatly.

Eating bacon and mayo with everything is great though.

If I were doing it again I would go the ultimate diet 2.0 way, but that is a meme too. Helathy food and heavy sets and placebo trumps everything.