times when you found out you were doing a lift incorrectly

> times when you found out you were doing a lift incorrectly

Post yours, this could help people trying to break to Intermediate.

Mine is pic related. I kept setting up my deadlift as if it were a squat. The result was bloody shins, inability to progress beyond 3 plates due to failing grip.
Gotta lift up your hips and have your shoulderblades in line with the bar.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=69TY7ui3Uhs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just now, look at that image ;_;

Same

i'm so fucki inflexible that I can't do like the left picture.
sumo or rdl as a substitute?

what does grip has to do with hip position?

I sprained my neck a few days ago when deadlifting a new PR. In an effort to keep my back straight I looked upwards thus overextending my neck.

My neck is getting better by the day fortunately.

Take my advice, look either up nor down. Maybe diagonally towards the floor is the best.

If you're lifting like I did (from a "squat-like" position) it requires a lot more strength to pick up the bar. I can't tell you the physiological reason, but I was using mixed grip and doing farmer walks and it was still a real struggle.
As soon as I switched I managed to do 5 reps easily.

That wasn't grip weakness. That was just failing off the floor. Which is the norm with people who pull with low hips.

Didn't you guys question a little bit when your deadlift felt a lot more like a squat than anything else?

Was it? That's good to know.
After about 2 reps I would have trouble closing my fingers and the bar would start slipping out of my grip, so I assumed it was grip strength.

>Take my advice, look either up nor down. Maybe diagonally towards the floor is the best.
You want a neutral spine at the neck. Typically I'll stand straight up before going down to grip the bar, at which point I don't allow my neck to move ensuring that it stays neutral.

On top of what said, when I was doing deadlifts wrong like in OPs image the bar scrapes against the shines as you described. This twisted the bar slightly in mid lift and made it a bitch to hold double overhand. When I corrected my form there was no more bar twisting and double overhand became a lot easier.

I've been at like lmao2pl8+10 and struggling a lot with grip failure lately. I'll try this and report back tonight if the thread isn't dead, cause I'd love to push past this.

Didnt that giant Russian fuck that DLs 1,000 lbs say if your shins aren't bleeding, you're doing it wrong?

The bar is supposed to touch your shins and legs until it reaches just below your knees.

>implying everyone has the same proportions, height and muscle ballance and this stance applies to all

The reason for someones grip giving in by "squatting" his DLs can be illustrated by lat engagement:

By setting up with your hips to low and your shoulders in line or even behind the bar, lat engagement is hindered. This will - ineviatably - lead to a loose scapulae and thereby forward shoulder rotation.
This may appear as a lack of grip strength but actually is just a poor attempt of your body to keep the barbell near your center of mass. This will promote bloody shins because you will subconsciously press the bar harder into your shin.

Read Starting Strength for more in-depth coverage of the hole leverages/scapula thing

I did two mistakes starting out.

My deadlift was the same position as my rows, so basically I was doing a stiff legged deadlift

And my overhead press resulted in me buckling my back as shown in pic related.

Fixed my deadlift by lowering my hips and fixed my press by tightening glutes for the sloots

Just realized I've been progressively moving my grip inward on bench. Moved wider again and suddenly weight was easy and stable and my forearms stopped hurting. Felt so retarded.

Stop obsessing over form all the time.
Not everyone's form is the same. People have different leverages.
Do what feels right for you.
Your form will get better over time once you get more experienced

Make sure to remember some basic cues and don't do anything retarded like lower back rouding

The point of the image is that the bar should be at the vertical with your scapula not with your shoulders, you dyel. This does not depend at all on your proportions.

But this is before the movement has started. Won't you naturally have the weight directly under your shoulders while you're actually lifting it... unless you're doing a partial reverse-fly type thing with deadlift weight while coming up?

Seems kind of nonsense no offense.

It is
You're also taking advice from the Mehdi who despite being somewhat strong looks like he never held a weight in his life.

youtube.com/watch?v=69TY7ui3Uhs

>Your form will get better over time once you get more experienced
Supermong disproves this, as do a great many lifters.

Your form only improves as you get more experienced if you are consciously trying to improve it with adequate knowledge, which I can't even say applies to most people on Veeky Forums, let alone most people in the free weight area.

A few months into lifting, I deadlift less than I squat. I think this may just be why OP, thanks.

To your question:
Ever since I started pushing my knees out and to the side (and pointing toes outward more) I've been feeling way better about my squat form.
I lifted for 6 months a few years ago and it never really clicked back then.

Leave the gym, or quit shitting it up with your basketball shorts, gymshark singlets and shit compound lift techs.

Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread

Right now, I guess. What's the difference in activation? Seems to me that left side involves more legs, which should allow for bigger lifts. Those are my 2 newbie cents.

Don't reply to me or my wife's son ever again

everytime I make gains

>6'3"
>realized i have to keep my hips high to the point where it's basically a sldl to avoid buttwink
>hamstring doms for days

If the bar isn't directly below your scapulae it creates an unnecessary moment arm between the bar and your centre of mass as you lift it. That means you have to work harder to move the same amount of weight.

Honestly form is one of my biggest concerns. I go to the gym alone at like, 12am because I'm insecure af. Because of that I never have anyone to help make I'm doing things right.

>tfw your legs are so short I don't even have to bend my legs to have full rom

I only do clean deadlifts, snatch grip deadlifts, and single leg RDLs.

I don't think I've done a standard deadlift in a while.

Am I cucking myself?

Wow what sort of gym do you go to? Probably half or more of all people have bad form on the big 3 where I go, which is a commercial gym.

I wouldn't worry if i were you, just ask the experienced guys for formchecks from time to time.

Yes.

This. People don't even hit depth all that often.

Can't blame them. For the squat racks, the safeties are so high up you need to be 6'2" in order to get depth under the safeties

I go to a neat little 24 hour gym right down the street from my house. I'm honestly horrified of being around other gym-goers at my level though. I walked in the last time I went and before my warm ups were done a truck pulled up outside so I left before picking up a single heavy. I'm too self-concious.

bruh, most people at the gym wouldn't know good form if it snapped them in the face. and most of them are just as autistic as you are. just nod and say hi and do your lifts

This picture is misleading. Some people will pull with lower hips due to their frame and leverages. I like SL but mehdi isn't an expert on any of the lifts. You need to see what works for you and your body. Play around with 135 and you will see when you simply pull it off the floor by your body weight alone. Your body is a lever.

how is he even going to clear his knees?

fake example

How about instead of shitting on Mehdi you read his fucking article? He clearly says that you need to focus on having your shoulder blades above the bar since the hip position varies with your height, leg length etc

Don't even need to say hi if you are scared of spilling your spaghetti. Only time I have had someone talk to me at the gym is when I saw a girl I graduated highschool with and hadn't seen in forever.
tfw that was today and we are hanging out in a few hours

Well if you're training for a clean, then the left side is the correct form.

>wondering why I can standing ohp 115 easily but can barely bench 135

>Elbows flared
Fixed and went up a few pounds

>Grip way too wide

Once I found out that my bench press grip was wide the lift became a lot easier.

My chest is still very weak.

Fuuuck

One time I was going for dl pr and I turned my neck far to the left to check my form in the mirror. That shit hurt for almost two weeks.

>bench pressing 120lbs
>going for last rep
>"oh shit this is heavy"
>start pushing with all my strength
>feet off the fucking floor
>im pushing this heavy piece of shit with my feet off the fucking floor. high in the air
yup

>This picture is misleading.
it's not. see

help me understand, whats the point of lifting over 3 plates

wtf?

Nothing. There's really no point.

Anyone have a response to this? I don't think it's physically possible to have the weight not under your shoulders when you're actually moving it.

Fairly new to lifting still
I was doing rows the other day and realised my lats didn't feel as fatigued as they should.

Turned out I was rounding my shoulders a little during the lift and as a result made my arms do most of the work.

I kept shoulders back and imagined my scapula coming together.

Had lat doms for the first time, it was a pretty retarded thing to do, but I'm glad I realised now and not 3 months down the road.

The bedroom bully told me that

thoroughly explained in SS. why haven't you read it yet?

HIps down basically increases the ROM (quads have to extend the knee through a bigger angle), thus making it more difficult.

It's basically a snatch grip deadlift without the snatch grip. Nice assistant exercise, but if what you want is to move bigger numbers you have to position your hip in an efficient position.

>tfw stepdad is licensed bodybuilding instructor
>tfw he thought me correct techniques from the beginning

no. the bar won't leave the floor in the left position. you can set up like the left picture shows, but if the weight is heavy enough you'll end up in the position on the right before the bar breaks contact with the floor.

this is true to a certain extent. but really you should just learn it right the first time, engrain the movement pattern so it feels natural. you shouldn't think about form while lifting, that's the spotters job, but you have to get it right first, otherwise changing it further down the line is much harder than just learning it as a rank novice.

you should honestly stop giving people advise though.

>you should just learn it right the first time
It's takes a lot of reps to learn a specific movement

you should honestly stop giving people advise though.

no, you practice it with an empty bar till you get it right, then you add weight. fucking where are you getting this advice from?

lol try keep practising bench or rows with the bar till you get your form right
you won't make any progress because your form will break down once you add weight

please, stop trying to sound smart

you kinda have a point that you should learn it right to begin with because it's harder to change later, but in reality is a lot more relevant for lifting. form is something you'll work on for as long as you lift, it's not something you learn once and then never think about again.