The story is supposed to be how much of a psycho dick Achilles is, and how Hector was a just man right...

The story is supposed to be how much of a psycho dick Achilles is, and how Hector was a just man right? That's sort of what I took from it. The moment of compassion giving Priam his son's body is the only time when it shows any hope for redemption for Achilles.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aofPdMbXzUQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah m8, its like Dragon Ball Z or Superman, you're meant to cheer for the guy you know will always win.

It's about rage and pride. As in most Greek epics, the characters are unimportant, the point being the themes presented

>avenging a dead mate is psychotic

I hate this post modern world.

The hubris and rage of Achilles. Hector was also kind of a dick, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=aofPdMbXzUQ

>psycho dick Achilles is, and how Hector was a just man right
Fucking brainlet.

No, it isn't. You didn't read closely. Homer goes out of his way to undercut the duel between Achilles and Hector; what with the latter unable to beat either Ajax or Diomedes and running away from Achilles the first chance he got. The only real dramatic meaning behind the fight between the two champions is one of Achilles regaining a sense of identity; Hector is now wearing his armor, the same armor he decked out Patrocles in before sending him off to do his job, and to his death. The fight itself is almost an afterthought.

Look at the very first line. What is he invoking the muse for? The conflict between Achilles and AGAMMEMNON. That is the core conflict, and thus the core story. The entire war is just backdrop. What you should really be paying attention to is the idea of a leader by right of birth against a leader by right of prowess and ability. Go back and re-read the section about Patrocles's funeral games, and how Achilles won't stand in the javelin toss against Agammemnon.

Not him, but I somewhat disagree. I think the Iliad is primarily a work about the stupidity and pointlessness of war in a world in which humans are tiny but sometimes brave mortals at the mercy of greater forces. The conflict between Achilles and Agamemnon illustrates this theme.

The rage sing, goddess, of Peleus' son Achilles,
Devastating, that myriad on the Achaians pains put,
Many strong souls to hell sent
Of heroes, them into prey made for dogs,
Birds of prey too, all of them, as of God was being consummated the will,
Start from when indeed at first stood they apart having contended,
Atreides the lord of men and godlike Achilles.

Note the emphasis on the destructiveness of the conflict between the two men, and of how it had to do with the consummation of god's will.

Cont. I'm also thinking of the numerous similes, in the midst of combat scenes, which call to mind days of peace, the loving parents of the fighters, how they will not see their child again, and so on.

Its about YOU CAN'T DO NUFFIN AGAINST THE GODS but try anyway, because Greeks love that shit.

>X fights y.
>"And y falls from his chariot! And goes clattering to the ground!"

Dichotomy of war is glorious and war is hell. That fate cannot be changed.

>back at the camp, winged words make their way past the barrier of a man's teeth

That's what I love about Greek religion, all gods are complete assholes and you should take it up against them even though the odds are stacked against you. Whereas in Judaism/Christianity you need to become a meek slave good goy who is required to prostrate himself before every Yahwe's retarded demand and consider it immoral and heinous to even think of disobedience.

>It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair. But when dogs shame the gray head and gray chin and nakedness of an old man killed, it is the most piteous thing that happens among wretched mortals.

Entirely seemly you betas.

>That's what I love about Greek religion, all gods are complete assholes and you should take it up against them even though the odds are stacked against you. Whereas in Judaism/Christianity you need to become a meek slave good goy who is required to prostrate himself before every Yahwe's retarded demand and consider it immoral and heinous to even think of disobedience.

Outstanding post. I'm tired of all this turn the other cheek bullshit going on in the current western meta.

Greek Religion isn't monolithic, nor are people's interpretations of them.

You had people who went ahead and made fun of the Gods, while some people accepted the stories of the capriciousness of gods and honor them nonetheless, because nature and people are capricious too, so why not the Gods?

there is one road you walk in it.

>Greek Religion isn't monolithic, nor are people's interpretations of them.

Oh trust me, I know. But that version is much better and it is a literary pattern.

This. Menalaos means "Wrath of the People"

The first line in the Iliad is "Sing muse the wrath of Achillies"