3x5 with 2 extra sets of lighter weight for Hypertrophy?

Tall guy, legs lacking a little more than upper body, I am adding weight to my squats doing 3x5 3x per week however wondering if it would be beneficial to add maybe 2x10 at the end of the 3x5 with lighter weight to try and promote more hypertrophy to make my legs look a little more in proportion to my normal sized body?

anyone drop some insight for a lowly newbie?

I've noticed size gains from strength lifting alone, just do 5x5 famalam

Yes that works well.
If it is too much for whatever reason (cutting, or just some other reason for making you tired) then cut back on the volume a little each workout until you find a medium you can recover from.

You will get big legs if you just get your squat to 3plate though. Nobody who squats that much will have stick legs.

Someone with good leverages for the squat can squat 3pl8 and look like a twink

OP, why not add in some bodybuilding style accessory work? Do some leg press, maybe some light leg extensions

I used to do 5x5 but the volume was way too much I'd spend like a good hour or so just squatting alone, I don't necessarily have a problem with spending time in the gym but spending that much time doing 1 exercise is a bit of a joke.

Thanks for your input, I'm currently bulking, I'm a 6'8 guy and not particularly heavy, around 200lbs and I'm gonna need a lot more size (although thats another gripe my body size is normal and limbs are long so bulking is turning my body into love handles).

I'm barely squatting 90kg for 3x5 because of impatience probably resting between sets and also food intake since I walk everywhere. My form is good but also I do sorta put it down to height and weight right now that I'm not squatting heavier. I'm just looking to squeeze out some extra hypertrophy and currently focusing on eating way more than a BMI calculator has told me which is 3600 to gain 0.5lb per week on more walking days.

>Light leg extensions
Shiggity

nothing wrong with leg extensions assuming your knee anatomy allows you to tolerate them

I'm not a fan of leg press due to them not being very adjustable for my leverages and they always just feel awkward, like my lower back is lifting up off the pad (I only have access to an incline leg press, the old fashioned Coleman style ones) I will incorporate leg extensions too with some higher rep 2 set squats after 3x5.

My leg side of my full body 3x per week routine is 3x5 back squat with 3x8 RDL's.

Honestly you sound like you just don't eat enough. With a pathetic squat like that, you should be able to add consistent weight every week on a 3x5, assuming calorie surplus. Big legs will come with weight, but you gonna have to add some serious weight with a frame that tall

>Light

Yes, it's great. I do the below, works pretty well for me:

Monday:
3x5 push press
3-5x10 push press
3x1 min weighed plank
3xF Pullups/weighed pullups

Tuesday:
2x5 deadlift
3x10 deadlift
3x10 cable crunches

Thursday:
3x5 bench press
3x10 bench press
3x10 curl variant
3xF Ab exercise (hanging leg raises,V-ups et cetera)

Friday:
3x5 Squat
3x10 Squat
3 x 1 min weighed plank
Random pull assistance

1 RM:s

Push press 100 kg
Bench 130 kg
Squat 180 kg
DL 230 kg

Bodyweight 87

You're no doubt right, it's a pain in the ass cause some days I walk more than others and I don't really keep track of steps and shit so I'm prolly eating in a deficit or maintenance for that day. Sometimes I eat really good and prolly more than I should and come in and hammer squats for that weeks increase and it feels like nothing and then some days it's super stressful.

My weight being 200lbs fluctuating is fairly light considering my height and I'm at least aware I need to keep bulking and increase strength levels, I just don't want legs to look shitty in future, I know if I squatted 3 plate I'd have big legs by the average person but don't wanna be squatting 3 plates with average looking legs due to femur length.

majoring in the minors

just get your squat to 315

Cheers for the advice, youre right I just need to focus on eating and resting enough and getting my squat into big numbers. Would the 2x10 hurt though do you think? Bare in mind I'm talking for sheerly hypertrophy right now and not strength so let's say I was squatting 90kg 3x5, dropping it to like 70kg 2x10 after it for some extra stimulus?

Dude do you not get it? The point is PROGRESSION. There is no magic number of reps or sets, hypertrophy, or whatever else you can come up with in your brain. Stick with the same routine and PROGRESS.

I was just asking a question mate..

>5x5
>25
>taking an hour to do 25 squats
does it literally take you more than a minute to squat one squat?

Alright, 30 to 40 mins, is that better?

how long do you rest between sets mate?

I don't actually keep track of time much, usually use songs as a rule of thumb like if I finish my set and it's like into a new song or half way through then i'll go again or I just play it on how I feel. Some days I recover way faster between sets and that's no doubt when I've ate in a surplus and had a good sleep.

Congratulations, you just reinvented TM. TM is what you say except more extreme. You do one day 5x5 (more than your 2x5) at a light-ish weight and the other day 1x5 (less than your 3x5) at a heavy weight. This way you both do high volume and high intensity in a week, just not in the same day.

>I used to do 5x5 but the volume was way too much I'd spend like a good hour or so just squatting alone
M8, doing 3x5 and then 2x10 is higher volume than what you're describing, and also takes a long time, you aren't helping anything by doing that. Do 5x5, and if you want to spend less time doing it, just keep better track of your rest times, use a timer on your phone. You're probably resting like 8 minutes between sets, cut that down to 3-5 minutes. The weight you're using might have to be reduced and you'll be more out of breath, but stick with it, you'll get used to it after a while.