Do you guys ever meditate? I always considered meditation to be a little shady...

Do you guys ever meditate? I always considered meditation to be a little shady, most of the people I've talked to who recommend it tend to believe in all kinds of ridiculous spiritual shit.
That, and the fact that I didn't really know how to do it.

However, a while ago, meditation was mentioned in a book I read about how willpower works and how to train it. The book recommended taking 5-10 minutes every day (I do it as soon as I wake up) where you just close your eyes, sit as still as you can and just focus on the sound of your breathing instead of constantly thinking random thoughts like you're used to.

I don't know about all those benefits mentioned in the picture, but the reason I do it is because every time you cut yourself off mid-thought and go back to not thinking and just listening to your breath, you're pracitcing using your willpower. This is essentially all you need to do in life to become fucking amazing:
1. Realize you're instinctively doing something that isn't good for your long term goals
2. Cut yourself off
3. Return your focus to the thing you want to focus on

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1vx8iUvfyCY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I recently started doing it, i am a lot more focused, and when i start to drift off, for example at work, i stop and get focused on the task at hand, just like i do with my thoughts when i start thinking during meditation.

I meditate 2 to 3 times a day for 5 minutes. Whenever i feel unfocused or sluggish in general i sit down and just meditate. At the beginning it bothered me when i heard sounds, nowadays i'm more resilent.

I prefer to not close my eyes and look out of the window (at work for example).

I can recommend it, but like everything in life persistence and consistency is key to success.

If you're really interested in meditation, I would not cut it away from the tradition that birthed it.

It is like practicing lifting without knowing how to eat or sleep right, the effect will be greatly softened.

Read Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm. Listen to Alan Watts' more Zen-oriented material on YouTube. Really come to understand the nature of the thing.

OP here again. How do you know the amount of time that has passed? I know you can do it with my eyes open, but doing it with my eyes on my watch seems like it would kind of defeat the purpose. I figured I'd meditate in the sauna after swimming, but I don't have my phone in there, so I can't really set an alarm.

Also, what do you do when people interrupt you? Just cut it short and start talking to them, or keep meditating until they get the point?

A couple times a day because I have "bad eyes" that are easily exhausted.

So when I go "rest my eyes", I also meditate to regain mental focus as well.

I meditate in the steam room after a workout everyday. Currently studying for my CPA and the steam room / meditation really reduces stress for me. High reccomend

Disrespectful as this may sound, I know buddhism is pretty reasonable as far as religions go, but I'm more interested in the scientific aspect of it. I'm more interested in learning how to win the ego vs id-battle than reaching nirvana.

I have been doing this for several years now, it's just a feeling i got when to stop.

People at work (now) get it when im meditating, but i always cut it in my earlier years.

>Freudian
>scientific

Posted pic is about viewing things as already dead/broken/lost. Contemplating the ephemerality of existance does not require spritualism. And is very Mooty.

kek, saw that as well

>meditate

Sure, if you're fucking asian.

If you're a white man you best be praying the Rosary to the Christian God, son. All the "meditation" you'll ever need.

i do it sporadically
not sure if it seems to help or not but i figure what the hell, im not doing anything else, so i give it a shot.

Personally I find running better.
>Actually reverses heart disease
>Actually increases pain threshold
>sick calf gains
>sick cutting method
>increases confidence
>sick cardio gains
>lets you focus
>not gay as fuck
>extra couple of calories you can eat a day

I started doing it a while back [spoiler]because of the weekly group fap threads on /trash/[spoiler]

With daily meditation I felt considerably more relaxed and shit didn't really get to me as much.

Haven't stopped meditating since.

>Increases energy
law of conservation of energy
You can't sit down for a while and metabolize whilst meditating without losing energy.
You can't gain energy without inputting any.
>Enhances the immune system
The immune system can only adapt and "enhance" itself when given access to a new disease or bacteria (i. e. a vaccine). If you disagree with this fact, tell me how you think the immune system is enhanced or what disease it adapts to whilst meditating.
>increases blood flow, slows heart rate
That's because you're sitting down doing nothing.
>Provides a sense of calm, reduces stress, reduces anxiety, etc.
You can do this without meditating very easily just sitting.
>Helps reverse heart disease
Maybe if it said "prevent" i would fall for it, but reverse? ok.
>Helps control thoughts
you are literally making an attempt to control thoughts while sitting, no shit.

>He fell for the meditation meme

>You can't gain energy without inputting any.

what about thought, is thought energy since its an electical impulse? Would you be inputting energy or converting it? Is your brain an open or closed system.

I do it occasionally. The guided meditations provided by "headspace" are exemplary. They tend to steer away from the overly religious aspects and focus on gaining clarity and inner peace.

You are using energy to think. The energy released when your neurons fire is electrical and after the voltage is sent across a neuron (i. e. part of a thought), the energy is expelled into very small amounts of heat and radiant energy.
You don't gain energy by thinking. Your body metabolizes energy from food and that energy is expended while thinking.

You literally lose energy while meditating. You lose energy by doing literally anything which is why you body needs food as an energy source.

You're a fuckhead. Stop posting

>energy
It's not referring to literal energy. It's referring to the energy that people talk about when they say they're "energetic" or feeling motivated.

>immune system
Placebo effect shows that mental state can affect your immune system. Eat shit.

>blood/heart
So? Does it do it? Yes.

>Calm
Ok

>Heart disease
Probably bullshit.

>Control thoughts
>You're doing the thing, so that means the thing that helps you do it is wrong!
Literally retarded.

I use gravity boots after each workout due to a nagging disc issue. They really help it from flaring back up.

For the 5-7 minutes I have inverted, I meditate.

Doing that at the tail end when you're still high on all the PWO is godlike

Yoga helps too, but that's for screwed up tight muscles. If you like it because of all the spiritual stuff then good for you.

>meditating at work
bitch you are paying to do work, not doze off
unless you are doing manual labor and meditate WHILE doing said labor

meditation has scientifically proven to grow new braincells, and that is reason enough to do it.

You get a similar feeling to meditation from being in the zone or a flow-state. This is a feeling you get when you don't think, you live "in the now".

youtube.com/watch?v=1vx8iUvfyCY

not compulsory but if you have problem focusing it just might do the trick

meditation works, brain scans prove it

sounds like hippy spritiual bullshit but i noticed an improvement after a couple of days

The key is to not be attached to meditation.

Been doing it half hour to 1 half hour, once or twice a day, for a year. Can't tell you how much better I feel mentally, spiritually, and emotionally.

Now, I can't say it's just the meditation. I've stopped drinking, lost 33lbs, and have a killer six pack. Total change of lifestyle, but meditation, and ayahuasca and DMT, played a huge part.

fitness mafia hates him, find out how with this one weird trick etc

Read 8 minute meditation

Pretty good book

>if you have problem focusing
i don't think a 42 minute video is a solution
even the 12 minute one was infuriatingly slow

is there a 400 word text summary somewhere??

Sweet Jesus Fuckall Christ.
I hope I never have to work with you
A 12hr workday would break you in half before lunchtime

you won't need to work with me because i don't plan to ever work again but i would like to be able to relax so can you sort out that text summary

>Buddhism
>reasonable
They believe in reincarnation. They're just as retarded as any other religion, but they're foreign and mysterious so they get a pass.

>Christian
>white

Fuck off jew worshipper

It's more that all of their core concepts have zero influence over other people, so they're considered "above" other religions because they're not responsible for making every single place worse just by existing.

i only really do it for a few minutes at a time to clear thought processes related to anxiety or to relax my body and bring my pulse down as not to overheat if i've biked to work or whatever

it's quite alright for those purposes though

anything else i don't know

In reality there are plenty of buddhist temples that are opulent while the villages surrounding them are impoverished to make it so. When push comes to shove it's the same as any other religion, people will claim to follow it, but only when it's convenient. Some are good, some selfish, and most are just average people who don't really have a clear understanding of their own religion.

>people will claim to follow it, but only when it's convenient

But see, that's why Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism and all that fulcum of religion are better than Christians, Muslims and whatnot.
Eastern Religions are treated like fancy and more respectful forms of superstition, and nothing more.
You'll never see a reform influenced by what youkai is supposed to be visiting our realm that month, or based on what year of the karma tree we're in, or whatever bullshit is part of their values.

They're just...there. They have religion as a background feature of life, but it doesn't ruin everything just by having believers.

Fucking buddhism isn't foreign or mysterious you fucking tard.
That shit has been mainstream for nearly two fucking generations now.

None of the pic related benefits apply but it does have proven cognitive and mood benefits.

>reincarnation

buddhists don't believe you get incarnated in a new body when you die. they preach non-self, ffs. talk shit, get hit

>not referring to literal energy
The kind of people who meditate usually think about energy in terms of "spiratual energy" and "internal vibrational energy" and stupid shit. They can't actually define energy.

>defending placebos
Why meditate, why not just take these new advanced dodecacarbon monodecahydrate pills which enhance your immune system and help you think? I heard they actually give you more energy too!

Most people don't pay to work you fucking retard

go outside and look at the sun with your eyes closed

Mindfulness in Plain English is GOAT for beginners

Not doing both

>Making the body savage but not civilizing the mind
>making it

Pick one

>heart beat slows
>blood moves more
Do doctors hate you?

So all it really does is improve your mood?

Meditation is literally a meme that only cucks, women and numale believe in.

No sitting down for 30 minutes a day and making dumb noices while listening to the sound of waves isn't going to help your health or brain.

Dat feel when you will die at 60 being so wound up bro.
Ps ditch sleeping. It doesn't give you any more energy duh so why bother

Here OP

The idea of reincarnation has more of a sense of science than any other religion. Especially Christianity

whenever people include meditation in new age books i just remind myself that they are the crossfit of meditation world.

if you never had any insight or visions or absorption in your meditation then you won't get it.

benefits of samatha and vipassana meditations for beginners are:
-none

drawbacks are:
-considering how you are wasting time
-frustration with your own brain
-often quitting

benefits of the meditation at novice level
-better social anxiety handling
-no shpagetti spills
-no lonelyness or boredom experienced (not permanently tho)
-more focus for everyday tasks

i bet your brain could convince many people on fit not to sit down in one place for... lets say 45 mins and just breathe because it would be a waste of time. just renember guys, its what neckbeards say about gym as well...

give it a whirl, it just might save your life.

if you get visions make sure not to chase them