What is Veeky Forums's opinion on ice baths for muscle recovery?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on ice baths for muscle recovery?
I run cross country for my college and we just got some.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396304/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26174323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25760154
archive.peninsulapress.com/2014/04/17/avacore-cooling-glove/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A very good idea if you're retarded.

It's the key to high test

epsom salt bath >>>> ice bath

Most idiotic thing I've ever heard to be honest...
You want blood to flow through your muscles faster to recover, not stop/hinder it, so it's better to massage with some heating ointment to get the blood flowing.
I've done ice cold shower after work out thing, doesn't help shit, but putting heating ointment makes injuries feel fine.

imagine both at once. the epsom salt lowering the freezing point of the ice and the temp of the water. i think youd die

I agree. I really don't understand what the thinking behind putting yourself into freezing cold water is besides looking good in an 80s movie training montage.

It's highly effective because it reduces inflammation better than anything and reduces blood flow enough to heal up then the increased blood flow after you heat back up helps you recover further.

This is bait

>i've never researched the subject at all but here's my opinion
thanks!

If you haven't chilled (lol!) with ur bros in an ice bath and then the trainers' whirlpool after a long day of double sessions you will never make it

Shut up you retard, it's been proven before that it's all bro science BS and actually detrimental to recovery

right

ice removes inflammation, obviously, this is a basic principle of first aid.

and going from icey cold to very warm promotes blood flow.

i mean really this could have easily been googled.

this is a legit answer

Reducing inflammation right after a work out does nothing for recovery. At all.

> disproven

> still a staple of modern physiotherapy education, first aid, and rehabilitation.

That's why it's not actually taught anymore except at high school football gym sessions, right?

dear highschooler doing his first year of PE training and obviously not doing very well

S T O P

thank you.

>my bro science websites say that it's all been proven to be bro science

found the ice salesmen

> yfw this website will never be age locked to 21 years old +

fbm

>waaah o can't hug box my bunk bro science

Can you fuckers start posting some links to scientific articles to back your bullshit?

you're going going

to fail fail

highschool PE

chorus repeats x2

Make me.

In general, ice is for injuries, heat is for general muscle recovery. So basically thats most likely retarded.

Nice tune, did they teach you that at Bro Science University?

> yfw you realise exercise causes trauma and inflammatory mediators.

> yfw exercise in it of itself is traumatic to the body

> yfw its the recovery phase thats recuperative/recovery.

you're going going

to fail fail

highschool PE

chorus repeats x2

OP your college would not have invested in cold tubs if they didn't do research and find it to be worthwhile

Ice baths are good

>a bodily injury is equivalent to muscle stress

Neck yourself

>> yfw its the recovery phase thats recuperative/recovery.

Go claim your nobel prize genius boy.

literally y e s

its DAMAGE it causes INFLAMMATION

run a marathon? damage

lift a weight? damage

here we go again

dj give me a beat

you're going going

to fail fail

highschool PE

chorus repeats x2

Well yeah.
What we do during exercise is put the body under stress and traumatize our bodies to so they grow and adapt.
It's quite honestly ritualized torture/self flagellation and body modification.

>the recovery phase is recovery

.. yep? thank you for repeating what I typed homie.

now using that new logic how do you think ice which reduces inflammation may play a role in post exertion period.

>a bodily injury is equivalent to muscle stress

Jesus, did the doctors at least let your parents know early that you were gonna have Downs Syndrome?

There's no evidence to show that leaving inflammation as is will affect performance versus minimizing inflammation, so do whatever. If you think it helps then more power to ya.

you're going going

to fail fail

highschool PE

chorus repeats x2

what is hypertrophy?

ONE MORE TIME

you're going going

to fail fail

highschool PE

chorus repeats x2

I see icebaths as a massage. Cold makes muscles condense like a sponge and heat brings the blood flow back to expand. All I see is putting them together and massaging it that's it. That's pretty good desu

I'm not a part of this ridiculous slap fight.
I'm just putting what you said into an interesting context for anyone who's reading the thread.

Carry on with this, whatever it is.

My condolences to your parents, raising a retard can't be easy.

>hyper trophy
>a bodily injury

You fuckin what?

If I could afford it, I would do it every other day at the therapy place

Wrong
Ice bath relieves pain much better

Ice baths are for pansy bitches

Is ice bath different from cryotherapy?

Former runner here, they're god tier for relieving soreness. As long as you go in for only a short period at a time it won't restrict blood flow and you'll feel great afterwords.

i literally have not learned anything of value from this thread.

S A V A G E

They're like cold showers, they promote test production and speed recovery and sharpen the steel mind for like sword warrior's

It's basic biology, you fucking retard.
>heat up part of the body
>blood vessels and arteries open up
>more blood flows through that part
>more nutrients are transported at once through the blood in the vessels and arteries
>faster regeneration occurs, along with pain relief, as well as a faster inflammation reaction that repairs the tissues faster and easier

>cool down part of the body
>all of the above in reverse
>aka
>blood vessels and arteries become smaller
>less blood with less nutrients flowing through at a time
>slows down the process of muscle reparation and whatnot
The only thing that cooling down the body has for it is numbing the pain, since blood transportation to the body becomes limited to the most vital points, so specific parts become less responsive neurologically for a short period of time.
You think why torn muscles should be massaged with heating gels, exercised and rehabilitated?

It's fucking high school level biology, Jesus Christ people.

How long is short time period?

5-10 minutes really, 15 if you wanna be cool ohohoho

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396304/

Here is one, you can google more, of course above isn't at all conclusive.... Last thing opinion that made an impression on me from looking into it was too ice bathe when close to competition and don't ice when base training... This was for running

This right here.

What I've been doing lately is 3 min hot whirlpool, 3 min 'cold plunge', 3 min hot, 3 min cold. Was doing 15 cold for years. Best thing for recovery for reason given.

Uhhhh. Pretty sure the blood flows faster when in cold water to maintain the core temperature. Sure, if you sit in there for 30min what you suggest will happen. 10 to 15? No way.

After the cold get in the hot to get that fast nutrition blood uptake you mentioned. Close, user. Real close.

they feel really good but i dont think they do anything for recovery

CONTRAST SHOWERS BROS

A contrast shower is simple. All you do is alternate between hot and cold water. The hot water dilates your blood vessels and increases blood circulation, and the cold water constricts your blood vessels and decreases blood flow

lowering your core body temperature raises your blood pressure, increasing blood flow.

Ice baths are good for fat loss. No idea about muscle recovery. I know people who say they feel better after they take one but i think that could be placebo.

“Some studies have even shown an increase in delayed muscle soreness. So the use of ice baths is not clearly safe and effective.”

They are unpleasant and shit and highly effective. Not just for muscle but for joints, tendons, bones, etc.
More important if you're doing heavy cardio rather thanks lifting.

Definitely recommend taking advantage of the cold tubs OP. 10 minutes in cold tubs after your running days, especially during hot summer training as well as contrast baths on days of weight training if your school has both hot tub and cold tubs. 1 minutes in the cold tubs, 30 seconds in the hot tub, and repeat 5 times to reduce delayed muscle onset soreness from the volume of the weight training. In the future, talk to your head strength and condition coach and athletic trainer for advice, don't come here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

It's actually true, though. But, probably not why the user you responded to thinks it is.

You want a hormetic(1) response to the inflammation you get from exercising. Reducing that inflammation immediately after an intense work-out(2)(3) does not have favorable results.

I'm not saying that there aren't benefits from ice baths, I personally even believe some of the more outlandish, less-scientifically-proven things that are said about them, but immediately after a workout?? fucking NEVER.

(1) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

(2) ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26174323

(3) ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25760154

this "quick put ice on it" first aid shit died in the 90s when everyone found out it DOESN'T WORK

archive.peninsulapress.com/2014/04/17/avacore-cooling-glove/
u grandpas and ur old opinions

Steam is better after workouts because it increases bloodflow and helps with soreness to, ice cold water is better as a psych up routine and if you already applied local hot-cold physical media to a busted muscle/joint