There is literally nothing wrong with using barbell pads

There is literally nothing wrong with using barbell pads

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/oliver_sacks_what_hallucination_reveals_about_our_minds
nytimes.com/2015/08/31/science/oliver-sacks-dies-at-82-neurologist-and-author-explored-the-brains-quirks.html?_r=0
sciencefriday.com/articles/the-bodybuilder-oliver-sacks-days-on-muscle-beach/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes there is you pussy.

Explain.

I only use them when my traps are sore

>omg that guy is such a pussy for not wanting to fuck up his shoulders look at me at me DL my mom

Indeed. Nothing wrong with that 'Lifestyle'.

There is nothing wrong with it though.

It's a purely ego thing, needing to feel pain so you're manly. However, the pain is not necessary nor does it adds anything to the lift.

Same thing with gloves

For one, powerlifters squat with the bar lower on your back. It rests on your rear delts/traps so unless you're a giant pussy it should not hurt your shoulders whatsoever.

Learn to hold the bar faggot.

You know for whom it's acceptable to get a pussy pad? My fucking girlfriend who is 5'0 95lbs, not you.

>unless you're a giant pussy

Thanks for proving my point

As long as it matches your purse

>can feel the pain on his neck
>claim his form is right
Stay DYEL pussy

I thought they were called pussy pads.

well, we all admit here he was a pussy.

If you're talking about barbell hip thrusts, then sure, if you're talking about squatting you better get outta here you pussy

Does it hurt more the more weight you put on? I'm a beginner at gym (squat 90kgs 5x5) and I can't see how people could find that little weight on their back painful at all. It only hurts if you're dumb enough to rest the bar on your neck.

>using pads ever

look at this sissy

>Posting pictures of a bodybuilder doing a photoshoot as proof of anything

Better start doing quarter squats and using the smith machine. I mean, if bodybuilders get paid to promote them they must be good!

Sure if you train nothing but squats. Your trap, delt and infraspinatus muscles should be getting comparable development though which will allow the support of heavier loads without pain.

Also, technique.

whats with the plank under his heels?

Poor man's weightlifting shoes.

Not that Arnold was poor. The photographer chooses all the equipment that will be used in the shoot; if the magazine is doing a thing on barbell pads or heel raising then the model will use those things for the shoot.

You visit pol and are voting trump, aren't you?

If you fuck up your shoulders you're doing it wrong, faggot

No. I'm a Britbong.

mirin depth

I use a towel because i sweat a fuckton but the foam shit is for faggots

Also nigger dick flavoured pudding

It's fine if you're a woman, they have trouble developing juicy traps.

adding a pad between the bar and your skin can make the weight less stable, so yes there is a problem with it

yeah people pay bodybuilders to promote quarter squats.

It doesn't teach you how to actually position the barbell when you squat. Instead it allows you to put it wherever you want. Also when you actually start squatting a heavy load it makes it very easy for the barbell to shift and roll up or down your back, which can cause a serious injury.

So yes, not only does using the pussy pad make you a gigantic pussy, but it also makes you learn improper form and bracing, and can cause a serious injury.

Nope, the body adapt to anything

It will hurt the most in the beginning when you're lifting low ass weights, after a while you will not notice anything even at 200kg

>he actually read starting strength

Except I learned that through observation, before I read SS. :^)

>mfw powerlifters don't squat with the pad apparently
>mfw John McCallum apparently never recommended using a pad

In fairness, I still think it's a bad idea. Squishiness is not something you want in any part of the barbell/lifter system. But it clearly doesn't prevent big fucking lifts.

Nah, after 3 plates every rep feels heavy. You just do it like a man

can confirm

>it doesn't get easier, you just go faster
t. greg lemond

Just wear a hoodie.

If you need a pad on your back, you're not positioning the bar correctly. It shouldn't rest on your neck, it should rest on your traps, or if you're doing low bar, on your rear delts. If even the proper position is too uncomfortable for you, then you're a giant pussy and you should kill yourself.

When I started out I was squatting 105 and thought the weight felt uncomfortable so I used the pad. Eventually I stopped using it and although it felt bad the first few times the weight doesnt even bother me anymore even though im squatting twice as much now.

Your body adapts.

I use them only for squat rack pulls. but that is up to 900lbs so it kinda puts a big bruise across my back. I don't recommend it for anything else. I squat 5.5 plates without hurting my back so I don't know why your 2 plate squat would.

It doesn't get easier. You just grow multiple extra sets of testicles.

I-is that the neurosurgeon Oliver Sachs? From "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For His Hat", and "Awakenings"? I mean I know he's a tall and strong but I didn't know he used to lift...

He's the man who mistook his wife for a gallon of milk

>Pussy pad
lmao

I guess not. I tried it once and it made me feel really unstable

That is the dude. Talks about lifting a little bit in his autobiography. Was also as queer as a square donut, incidentally, although I didn't know this until I read the book.

>mfw I wrote him a letter about lifting in about 2010
>mfw he wrote back
>mfw I lost his letter

He appears to be one of the kindest, most good-natured people on the fucking planet, and happened to be a brilliant neurologist to boot. I love his writings.

Veeky Forums, this man once broke a record lifting, and has a huge frame. Now see what age does to us all: ted.com/talks/oliver_sacks_what_hallucination_reveals_about_our_minds

Also you might actually learn something other than calculating macros.

the fuck is squat rack pull?
user you trying to invent some shitty moves again?

When you use the pad it allows the bar to move on your back easier, it's not locked down in the right spot. This will mean that sometimes you use your neck to support the pad in which case you get neck soreness. When you squat without the pad you are forced to find the sweet spot that holds the weight of the bar free from pain. Best way to find this spot is by retracting your shoulders, squeezing your traps and placing it just behind them.

Yeah, I tried it once or twice cause I'm getting weird marks on my back from where the bar sits but I felt like I was going to accidentally kill myself. Just felt really unsafe and like I had no control over the bar.

>squat without pad
>pain
What the fuck? Unless you had your traps and rear delts surgically removed that is just stupid. Or maybe if you're a T-Rex who has the back of a rank newbie but can squat at an advanced level.

isometric exercise. its all about time under tension. I did not invent it. just load up the bar and hold it until your eyes bleed. you can do the same for deadlift rack pulls too, or bench.

PUSSY

>Now see what age does to us all
Lets you travel a lot, swim a mile every day or something like that, and write books and NYT columns until you get diagnosed with cancer and croak quite peacefully in six months? I dunno, I'd say he had a pretty damn good old age.

>time under tension AT DIFFERENT ANGLES

>loading up 9 plates and just unracking it does anything for you except fuck up your body needlessly.

do you read anything outside of what you see on fit?

then don't do them.

learn how to green text faggot.

yes, I majored in exercise science.

so you work at a gnc?

if that's what you want to believe because your post became irrelevant:

sure.

I'm saying people who major in excercise sience are pretty much just qualified to work a cash register at gnc. and if you went through school and never heard of a fucking rack pull, go get your money back.

I certainly won't. Static exercises make sense at sticking points, but unracking the weight is the easiest part of the squat. All you get is a fuck-ton of spinal compression for no benefit. That's like adding the tenth layer of flame-retardant on the north side of your cabin while the south side is bare pine.

Would the bar strengthen your traps?

>diagnosed with cancer
No no no no no--
>google
FUCK.

Fuck this gay earth.

>"I feel grateful that I have been granted nine years of good health and productivity since the original diagnosis, but now I am face to face with dying. The cancer occupies a third of my liver, and though its advance may be slowed, this particular sort of cancer cannot be halted."

Fuck, I really like the man. I don't want to see him die just now.

Fuck.

I know what a rack pull is. But the point of doing a partial motion and holding it up and and calling it an isometric exercise without changing angles is pretty dumb.

Pass 5th grade, or whatever grade teaches prepositions.

>I don't want to see him die just now.

You're a little late on that one, user:
nytimes.com/2015/08/31/science/oliver-sacks-dies-at-82-neurologist-and-author-explored-the-brains-quirks.html?_r=0

Sorry. For what it's worth, though, sure looks like he went out on a high note.

what is a plank?

>read further
>"Oliver Sacks passed away on Aug. 30, 2015."

I am heartbroken.

So you're saying I could put on lets say 70% of my personal max, hold it at full contraction for 40 seconds...and that's the same as to 40 seconds worth of reps at the same weight? Honestly asking.

the difference is the way the weight is held up and the biomechanics behind it

one has the support of tendons and bones while the other does not.

you also have to look into the specificity of the exercise and how it translates to give it a good measurement.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, anyway.

If you're positioning the bar correctly it shouldn't hurt. If you're resting it on your spine or poorly on your scapula it will be painful but that is a problem to fix, not to avoid. When I started lifting I was bone thing yet even I could comfortably position the bar for both lowbar and highbar squats.

>The Man Who Mistook His Wife For His Hat
Amazing book. And holy crap I didn't know he lifted either. Was just talking about face blindness a couple days ago and thought of him, ofc.

"I sometimes wonder why I pushed myself so relentlessly in weight lifting. My motive, I think, was not an uncommon one; I was not the ninety-eight-pound weakling of bodybuilding advertisements, but I was timid, diffident, insecure, submissive. I became strong—very strong—with all my weight lifting but found that this did nothing for my character, which remained exactly the same. And, like many excesses, weight lifting exacted a price. I had pushed my quadriceps, in squat- ting, far beyond their natural limits, and this predisposed them to injury, and it was surely not unrelated to my mad squatting that I ruptured one quadriceps tendon in 1974 and the other in 1984. While I was in hospital in 1984, feeling sorry for myself, with a long cast on my leg, I had a visit from Dave Sheppard, mighty Dave, from Muscle Beach days. He hobbled into my room slowly and painfully; he had very severe arthritis in both hips and was awaiting total hip replacements. We looked at each other, our bodies half-destroyed by lifting.

“What fools we were,” Dave said. I nodded and agreed."

sciencefriday.com/articles/the-bodybuilder-oliver-sacks-days-on-muscle-beach/

Yeah, that was depressing.

But there are lots of lifters who got old and still lift, or stopped because they got bored not because they got hurt, so meh.

This only strengthens my resolve. In my age, I will never again deadlift, squat or do any sort of olympic lifting that pushes my body this much, it will not be good for me when I'm 50; instead, I will do careful, singular exercises that isolate muscles ad get plenty of rest and listen to the first warning signs that something's wrong. I don't need to prove anything to anyone and squatting isn't a prerequisit for getting lean and fit.

For hip thrusts or glute bridges, there aren't.

Just like it doesn't matter if you're a manlet under 6'3". Women aren't laughing at you and the more gains you make the more it compensates for your lack of height.

This is the future that you chose, Veeky Forums.

Obviously.

how old are you?

35. The force of youth has been spent, but I gained wisdom in its stead.

mirin the blonde bomber in the background mirin

>35
>force of youth spent

Buddy, you got a long road ahead of you. You're pulling off now? Might as well just run right into the ditch, get it over with.

How old are you? I'm serious.

>listen to the first warning signs that something's wrong

What like doms?

Also, mods pls ban this underage.

The only time I use this is when I'm doing calf raises on the smith machine, simply because I use way more weight for that than I do for a squat.

For actual squats, it will actually do more harm than good, in that it teaches you bad form habits and makes the weight harder to control.

agreed. it irritates me when people in their 30s act like it's time for a rocking chair. im 33 and I still have a 1400 lb total and have no injuries from weight lifting. I got to a chiropractor and he just keeps me feel in good. save that "youth is spent" bs for your 60s.

Jesus just kill yourself you pussy.

So where do yo get one of these things? I'm going to ask my girlfriend to go into aritzia or whatever to find me one.

My heels lift off the ground when i squat. Do I just need more flexibility?

For barbell glute extensions, sure.

For squats? Fuck off.

When i tried Squats for the first time i tried it with pads pads. I wasn't able to balance the barbell, because it was so unstable, that i lost control of the barbell and almost let it fall.

I never used any pads again.