Anyone else have no problem with bench pressing but are too scared to try and squat or deadlift?

Anyone else have no problem with bench pressing but are too scared to try and squat or deadlift?

Just started going to the gym and all I've been doing is benching and doing various other dumbbell exercises. I'm afraid that if I try squatting or DLing I'll fuck up on form and kill myself. How do I get over this irrational fear?

Start with low weight, and get the form right. Then move up.

>We are opposites.
Just get a spotter and have them watch your form from the front back and side, once you get a feel for good form it will be muscle memory.

>Also
I've had more accidents on bench than any of the other exercises, just don't fuck around with the motions and you'll be fine.

Its a good rational fear. Squat and Deadlift are definitely risky lifts. Even the best who have meticulously perfected their form fuck their back up.

You just have to be confident and do them. They are really beneficial to your overall fitness. How do you expect to bench heavy dumbbells if you cant even bring them from the rack to the adjustable bench because your grip is weak?

>Even the best who have meticulously perfected their form fuck their back up.

I beg your fucking pardon?

I injured myself squatting but I plan to get right back into it with proper form. Enjoy your nogains

Pay for one PT lesson and get them to show you form. Practice with low weight and high rep (if you are dyel this will still give you DOMS). Profit.

Statistically more accident happen at the bench.
they're a lot more gruesome too.

ever seen a guy drop 200+on his face?

that being said it can be intimidating, pay an Olympic coach for a few sessions and they can get you started on the right track. like 50-100$ total

PTs are ass at showing form. PT in my gym was showing girls how to squat and deadlift and his form was shit. Girl was cute too, wish I stepped in and showed her after her session was over.

Had the same fear, just start light. Squats are one of my favorite exercises now.

Really? The first time I ever stepped into a gym was to learn the basic compounds and was super excited to squat for the very first time.

Im more afraid of bench than squats. I remember one time when I was a 13 year old skeleton in hs I was fucking around in the weightroom and got pinned under the bar while trying to bench.

Literally start off with light weight, record your sets and judge your form meticulously. Perfect form goes a long way.

I can bench two and a half plates no problem but i try to deadlift 20lbs and my back aches for days and i have to do Hack squats not real ones.

get a spotter and just try it. it's not rocket science

How does one tuck up their back?

A normal person would have thought you were being weird.

Because anyone who pays for a PT will automatically assign more authority to whatever you're saying.

It'd be like if the dirty nerd in class went up to the pretty girl after and told her the professor was being super wrong about the thing he's teaching.

Are you me, OP?

>Started doing 5x5 SL months ago
>about a month in, started feeling pain in my lower back
>went to doctor to be safe
>turned out I strained a lower back muscle, told me to stop doing squats and deadlifts
>been only doing bench presses for a couple months now
>pain has pretty much gone
>want to do other exercises, but scared to fuck up my back again

help

Basically, there's still a risk of hurting yourself even if you have the form pretty much nailed

If it's a muscle you should be ok, the fear fucking up your back from deadlifts and squats is actually blowing out a disk or damaging the spine

Learn proper form and bracing. Do mobility.
Not doing squats and deadlifts (when you're already disposed to straining your lower back) will guarantee that you will hurt your lower back some time in the future.
Don't be the benchbro with internally rotated shoulders and chicken legs going "i can't squat bro it's bad for you".

start by squatting the bar only and always keep the safety things attached

/thread

i was deadlifting no more than 100kg for 10-12 repsa gues what happend? Nerve damage on my testicular area and fucking inflamation. Horrible pain, no libido and suicidal thoughts. I still strugle with this crap after like 6 months and i would never go back to my natural high libido and high testosterone.

ya I just tore the meniscus on my right knee squatting 2pl8 and deadlift always hurt my lower back and I get these weird tingles down my leg. I've posted numerous form checks online and asked the trainers at my gym but they all just complimented my form. Meanwhile I read about guys reaching 1/2/3/4 in a matter of months and my body is breaking down at baby weights. fml

I used to be afraid too. But I would random back pain due to bad posture, and my first year of deadlifts completely eliminated my back pain, and now my back feels strong.

Still too scared to go up to higher than 2pl8 though.

But the reward/risk ratio is great starting out.

how do you fuck that up lol

My bet is you're fucking up on the benchpress too, you're just too weak to have gotten properly injured yet.

I hate people like you.

Scared? If you're at a gym talk to one of the staff and get them to show you proper form (tho take it with a pinch of salt because half of gym employees know fuck all about actual lifting)

>learn form from online, get trainer for first few lessons just to be sure
>diddlylift, pt says I have good form
>progress quickly over 2 weeks
>arrive at snap city with the pt watching

some of us were just born to be injured

Get a pt.
Watch youtube videos.
That's it. Didn't even need to make a thread.

>watch a lot of form videos on YouTube and learn it properly
>spend a few weeks practicing form with very light weight
There you go, problem solved. There's zero possibility of you hurting yourself if you're using just the bar.

>spend whole life with constant lower back pain
>in college, get back spasms so bad i can't even get out of bed some days
>start lifting
>pain vanishes
>back stronk as fuck
>great posture
no regrets

Bench press can literally crush you to death. The worst that squat or diddly can do is mess up your back IF you are a complete mong.

This. I tried it once and this guy who claimed to be a physical therapist didn't know what lowbar squats were and kept telling me to highbar with a very narrow stance, to just above parallel.