Is Jason Blaha's 5x5 routine any good or is it just a meme?

Is Jason Blaha's 5x5 routine any good or is it just a meme?

Blaha is literally unironically on the autism spectrum.

He is the Chris Chan of fitness.

it's pretty solid, but it pushes it when it comes to the volume and total workload

5x5 straight sets will be BRUTAL once the weights get heavy

workout B
5x5 of 100 kg squats will kick your ass
and then it's 1x5 deadlifts, 5x5 ohp and then 5x5 rows

IF you have the time for the full routine (3 hours towards the end)
and you are eating at a surplus
and you have enough sleep to recover
then do it
I did it, but I couldn't handle it, so I cut the volume as I reached my noob gains

That's what I'm thinking, my numbers are into the late novice stage so it might be a bit much. Do you think I'd be better with something like the Candito upper/lower?

Same thing happening to me at the moment. Starting to hit the end of my noob gains and the 5x5 is getting rough. I'm getting results but the program is kicking my ass.

You mean Genova

it's good, high volume and high frequency with moderate intesity, unlike starting strenght has the right amount of workload for the upper body and some accessories too.
would recommend

Try reg parks 5x5

This. It's a good routine (I like the exercise selection on the accessory movements), but the volume is brutal. After a few months, it's better to switch to the cutting version of the program (even if you aren't cutting), which is 3x5 on the main lifts and 2x8 on accessory movements, that's much more sustainable for the long term. Also, with this many exercises it's a good idea to use a timer and limit your rest intervals, otherwise you're going to be in the gym forever, like you said.

Why would anyone here listen to fucking Jason Blaha

If you actually do his routine, consider killing yourself. He is an absolute joke.

It pains me because he's genuinely knowledgable too, he just thinks he's actually CIA.

This, and this was the reason i never went with his autistic program but instead went with SS, because of the workload. At first doing 5x5 squats/OHP was easy, but having to do squats 3 times a week at 5x5 with heavy weights is fucking ridiculous, espcially doing 5x5 OHP after them.

Doing such high sets you'll go to snap city very quick, especially for a beginner.

This is the only appropriate answer.

Literally this. Reg Parks gives you about the same fucking results without spending 2+ hours in the gym every time. It also doesn't become a full time job. If you're a NEET and have no problem living around your gym routine for the next months then do ICF, otherwise Reg parks beats it hands down in results vs. time spent.

Anyone who's seriously lifted 5+ years have this "knowledge". He's nothing special. Watching him just confirm some of my thoughts
But clearly he doesn't have a clear map of how a beginner could train and a good program. Himself looks like shit. His lift is not that impressive at high level

I dislike Jason Blaha too, but ICF 5x5 is a good routine. Of course, that's because it's not really his routine, it's just SL 5x5 with some accessory movements.

And SL isn't really the SL-guys routine. It's just Starting Strength with Rows instead of powercleans and 5 sets across instead of 3 (which literally later on just becomes SS with rows instead of PCs)

I did a modded version of 5x5 for 3 months when I started lifting, and I made crazy strength gains the entire time. High volume stuff like that will work well, but only if you have 2+ hours to dedicate to each workout, and extra money to spend on all the food you're gonna eat.

Like someone said down below, he's not knowledgable in any sense. Anyone who's actually gone through their novice progression and knows what he knows. Blaha's only documented lifts are also shit - his only recorded competition maxes are possible for a committed trainee within 3 years of touching his first weight.

His program is shit as well. He claims that you should be able to get to 315 squat and 405 deadlift on his program within a year, and that 'hundreds' have managed it. This is bullshit.

It's not bullshit because those numbers aren't achievable in a year. If you know what they're doing, they're actually achievable in roughly 6 months.

What's bullshit about it is that much like Stronglifts it starts off with too much volume and dumbass exercise selections, and only gets more retarded from there.

The 'accessories' do literally nothing except impede recovery on the main lifts (which are already going to be difficult to recover from with the unncessarily high volume.)

They aren't even chosen with any real discernment. Shrugs and triceps extensions are particularly stupid as novices have no real need to do these. They can already stimulate growth on all the muscles they hit with pressing exercises and floor pulls.

>They aren't even chosen with any real discernment.

That's really the main problem. 5x5s can be brutal in the end and just adding shit like heavy rows and shrugs is bad.

For a guy stepping in and wanting more well-rounded results, take the 2 extra sets of squats and make him do them as light or moderate front squats to help with proper posture and to actually get better at back squatting. Take the 2 extra rows and make him do good mornings or light pause deadlifts so he can get used to the movement and strengthen the musculature.

Accessories shouldn't be heavy ffs.

It's an excellent routine

Candito's LP > reg parks
modified greyskull lp > reg parks
everything > SS

if i remember correctly, jb's 5x5 is just 5x5 stronglifts with some accesory/isolation ex
i did a few years ago icf intermediate 5x5 and worked fine for me, strength and mass went up

This, did this last year as my first routine, it became way too much after 3 to 4 months. Great for noobs tho.

>believes he has been abducted by aliens
>Claims to be master swordsman
>Claims to be recruited by the CIA in young age
>Claiming hes been a mercenary
>Claims to be a space lizard
>Trained "Langley farm" aka. TOP SECRET/CLASSIFIED military training facility
>Claims that hes family has psychic abilities and that other peoples minds are penetrating his
>Was/is a white supremacist with written articles on a KKK website
>wrote how he was molested by family members when he was a boy
>Tried to start his own supplement line but the supplement company didnt see him bringing anything to the table, so Blahino quit advertising supplements and denounced the supplement industry
>Claims to have been a bodybuilder but ALL of his photos were destroyed in a house fire
>Brags how he could have been a doctor with his super intelligence, but chose not to

There are literally tens of other outrageous claims without any proof or which have been debunked that I cannot be arsed to list here.

what sort of psychological condition does blaha have? Delusions of grandeur? Narcissism? God complex? Overcompensation? Is he just functionally insane?

Keep hearing about how every fucking popular routine will lead to failure. If I'm a fat fuck and eating a deficit, what should I do in the gym. I seriously don't want to fuck up.

That's because most of Veeky Forums is comprised of people who don't lift and try to troll other people by playing on their insecurities. Any routine that has you focus on compound movements while adding weight will allow you to gain significant amounts of muscle mass.

Narcissistic entitlement syndrome coupled with lethargy and jealously.

Seriously just do SL 5X5 with babby weights at first, cardio between lift days, and eat properly but at deficit. I've been doing that for 2 months and lost 18 pounds

Doesn't matter what routine you do 5x5, LP, 5/3/1, Men's Fitness cookie cutter....

All that matters is that you pick a routine you can get excited to do, stick with it, and never miss a workout.

I've seen no natural person post any signifiantly superior mass gain on SS SL or any other babbies first powerlifting routine that couldn't be gotten from nearly any other lifting routine.

I'm on it right now.
Youtuber David Laid said that he did it too and he has a pretty sick body.

No shit - anything done with enthusiasm and drive WILL produce results. People have been getting strong before SS and SL and they will get big and strong long after SS and SL have been forgotten.

He got injured doing it.

These 2 are the only posts to take seriously. Exactly what any intelligent lifter would tell you.

Any well structured full body routine will put alot of size on you. On his I put on 30lbs (not all muscle) in my first year. You get a sick full body pump everytime you're in the gym.

To further drive this - constantly learn about new routines and try to see what makes them tick. Never get railroaded into a single mindset and belief that one is necessarily better than the other.

If you are asking whether Sheiko or Texas Method or Westside or Cube or whatever is "optimal" you are asking the wrong question. Sit down, read them and see if something clicks with you. Over time, after having experienced different training methods and used different exercises, volume, frequency, etc. you can start to make YOUR routine that is specific TO YOU.

Now go and lift some weights!

This is Chris-Chan tier...tranny conversion when?

His gf is probably a tranny so I'll lost my shit if that happens

>tfw I filtered jason blaha

Look up the Average F'n Program. It's a great evolution of SS and GSLP.

A: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3xF Chins or 3x5-10 lat pulldowns until you can chin.

B: 3x3 Deadlift, 3x5 Bench Press, 3xF Chins or 3x5-10 lat pulldowns until you can chin.

C: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Row, 3xF pushups, once you can do 3x15 move to dips.

Deload 10% after 3 attempts at a given weight.

Progress all lifts 5lb except for DL which is 10lb. Use smaller jumps once stalling becomes common.

You're in the gym for an hour and are doing heavy compounds that will get you strong and preserve muscle mass during your cut. Using your diet, lean out while doing this.

Correct, consistency trumps all. The best routine is the one you actually stick too.

For a fat guy cutting, a 3x week full body LP is the way to go. I don't like SL because it's got too much volume for a guy cutting. I don't like SS for anyone who is cutting (which is what I did) because it's intense as fuck. I like GSLP and the Average F'n Program. Short and simple, get in, get out and spend that time learning how to cook, prepping meals, going for walks and hikes, getting 8-10 hours of sleep. The stuff that really helps make you healthier and happier.