WE

WE

WUZ

I don't get it...

GAY?

the aenid was written by the roman poet virgil which essentially tells the story of how romans were descended by royal trojans who fled after the sack of troy

Oh, i saw one guy hugging another dude on the cover so i thought it was a book about gay lovers in ancient greece or something

TROJVNZ

What's the one where the Anglo claim to be Trojan?

TROIVNS ET SHIT

>american education
ah yes

Anything after chapter 4 is a shitty derivative slog. Aeneas is a Mary Sue as well.

>ITT: Buttboys who don't understand the best Epic ever written by a Human

no one mentioned argonautica by apollonius of rhodes tho

t. Gayus Wewuzius

You aren't far off tbf

I hate when these weaabos post anime pics in boards outside of /a/

This is Veeky Forums, leave your anime fetish outside of it

Anime is Pan4chan culture.
Retards. The Aeneid's only competition is the Dionysiaca

This is Veeky Forums
GET THE FUCK OUT

This is 4chang

>A role model has no flaws apparent to me and reddit or Veeky Forums tells me I shouldn't like that so I don't

>tfw historically literate anime poster is purging Veeky Forums of reddit

Love u senpai

Aeneas' story is one of being doomed by destiny.
Everything he loves or wants is taken from him all so he can begin some Podunk Kingdom in a shithole he's never heard of.

The one thing he gets to chose to do is the one thing that goes against his entire character, when he kills Turnus in a fit of rage.

WE ARE TROJVNZ

>lives in Finland
>Dolphins hat

He's boring as fuck. Some guy that gets raped at every opportunity in the Iliad is now some kind of badass?

He wants to please the gods since he's so Pious, though. I'm not so sure killing Turnus was out of rage completely, he certainly thought there was justice in it.

but he only did that because he was commissioned by the emperor

>live in Africa
>wear NY hat and Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt

sauce on the cover

>He's boring as fuck. Some guy that gets raped at every opportunity in the Iliad is now some kind of badass?

Of course he blows everybody apart, the Iliad was a strife between demigods fucking blasting each other apart in the Homeric vision

You're trying to treat this like DBZ and you can't even do that you brainlet twat. Go back to reading genreshit

Aeneas is a half breed himself, and yet Diomedes wrecks him.

>Of course he blows everybody apart

Yea, because Virgil made him an overpowered Mary Sue.

oops meant to say historically illiterate

no, because he was destined to do so

Yes that is true, but the guy had no character flaws and was never really in any danger. It's just boring.

The Aenead was a huge step backwards in the genre.
Argonautica already deconstructed the epic myth and even joked about how archetypal Homeric characters and events were.
Then Virgil comes along centuries later and sets it all back 800 years by unironically imitating Homer.

>Argonautica already deconstructed the epic myth and even joked about how archetypal Homeric characters and events were.
How?

A few examples
>Jason is an average Joe, no divine blood, no heroic attributes, is constantly accused of being unfit for the role of leader, only accomplishes anything with the help of divine intervention or assistance from a skilled ally, has bouts of depression and anxiety
>Herakles is left behind in the first book, he is name dropped every now and then to remind the reader of his ridiculous adventures happening in the background
>The return journey is itself a parody of the Odyssey, the exact feats Odysseus went through are treated lightly (like how Orpheus blasts his music over the siren song)
>Medea's sorcery is treated more like alchemy than magic

Pretty certain the cover is an illustration of Aeneas carrying his crippled dad out of Troy while it was falling.

If the aeneid isn't true, then who built Padua?

Sounds (((familiar)))

It's his own father, you fucking peasant

>Jason is an average Joe, no divine blood
>He was also the great-grandson of the messenger god Hermes, through his mother's side.
I think even obscure hero Melampodas has divine blood. Niggas that didn't have divine blood like the dude that saw Artemis naked were usually killed or not important

the paduans of course

>great grandson
But at that point it's meaningless. Especially since it didn't do jack shit for him.

Well, Odysseus was a great grandson of Hermes too iirc, or grandson perhaps.
You are correct on your other points and it should have been something I realised sooner.

You're right, but at least Odysseus has a kind of superhuman cunning.

Odysseus is the first anti-hero

I think it's weird how the Romans supposedly hated his character and yet Ulysses was used a popular name until fairly recently.

Was it because of the tricks he was constantly pulling?

If there's ever really WW3, Rome will be rekt, caught in the crossfire.

Today I saw a guy with down syndrome who looked exactly like him

Yeah, they were too prideful for interesting character types I guess.

that's not Eragon