/RG/ - Routine General

fellow Greyskullers, what accessories do you put into the routine?

i reckon i wanna hit biceps, triceps, abs and obliques, unless i'm missing something

what are your preferred accessory exercises and how would you add them to the routine?

also:

>Routine General

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hit your obliques by increasing deadlift volume. There's no reason you shouldn't do 2 lighter sets before your one big set unless you don't do it to failure. Your abs will be pretty well worked by OHP, chins and lower body moves. Adding in tricep work could affect your pressing movement progress, adding in bicep work could affect your recovery for chins but that is unlikely.

>wake up
>change into gang clothing
>IT'S MOTHERFUCKIN SHAKE TIME
>hit the gym 2-3hrs, minimum
>proceed to fill gym up with a hot meal i am eating
>mire self in mirror
>ohshit my biceps went down an inch in 8 weeks
>calves went up 3/4ths an inch, yes i am more proportionate
>go eat dinner some place
>drop at least $30 on one meal
>fuck gotta restock at the nearest 7/11 on some ben and jerry's
>eat that shit then stomach vacuum
>sleep
r8?

not enough scoops desu
right babe?
...babe?

Here's my modification for the routine you posted:

>replace chinups with lat pulldowns
>alternate squats and deadlifts instead of doing them at a 2:1 ratio until progress stalls, then proceed to do squat / deadlift / power clean
> 2 weeks of strength rep range followed by 2 weeks of hyperthrophy / cardio range at 12 reps, i.e. periodisation. do deads and power cleans at 8 reps then.
>cardio on 3 off days a week (determine intensity on your own), do abs and mobility on last cardio day. rest on sundays.

steady progress with no stalling then, also a decent balance for general fitness. ease into it with only cardio or only lifting for a month if you're an inactive fuck.

I find adding some triceps accessories works well when my OHP stalls

Do I increase weight each workout, or each set? If I bench at 225 at the start of one workout, do I do that the whole workout, or do I move up 2.5 lbs each set? I'd assume the former, but I want to be sure as I never did a really set routine before.

Each workout.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to stop cutting and start bulking. I've been doing SS but I'm going to stop that and to Greyskull because it seems like it does a better job of handling/tracking progress and deloads.

My concern is that this looks like not very much volume. Do people really just go in, do 3 sets of 3 exercises, and leave? Seems like you'd be in and out of the gym in like 30 minutes. Or is it implied that you're also doing a bunch of smaller accessory stuff that's not worth listing?

Its a beginner program, like SS. Like SS, as you keep lifting and become more in touch with your body, you can add accessories / modify the program and see how you respond.

Beginner programs give you the push in the right direction and one should follow them until you can modify them with confidence without asking for opinions on a Quebecois poutine appreciation forum.

If you can do squats, bench and rows in 30 min youre lifting babby weights.

Im doing GS also. Heres my accessories:
On OHP day: bb curls, lateral raises, facepull and 5x10 seated db ohp (50% of normal ohp)
Bench day: incline flyes, triceps, lat pulldown
On friday front squats on top of low bar squats (50% of working weight)
Rate? Im trying this out but if it affects my recovery I'll take some exercises away.

Bumb

see >Beginner programs give you the push in the right direction and one should follow them until you can modify them with confidence without asking for opinions on a Quebecois poutine appreciation forum

If you think you're in tune with your body and could handle the volume, try and see results. If it doesn't work out, scale down on the accessories. If you're really unsure, stick to the main program and keep increasing the weights.

What's the routine for Greyskull? is it 1x2x3xx?

r8

U/LxU/Lxx

U1
le press pyramids
cgbp pyramids
db rows 3x10-20
shrugs 3x10-20
skullcrushers 3x10-20
hammer curls 3x10-20

L1
diddlys ramping
front squats ramping
m'ladies 3x10-20
hammies 3x10-20
weighted sit ups 3x10-20

U2 same as 1 but with bench/incline

L2 same as 1 but with squats/sdl

Got some good advice last time, lets see in anyone else has something to add. Just Greyskull with plug-ins. On a calorie deficit right now to loose some fat (tfw skinnyfat mode...)

Deload: The Program

Do you even into volume -> intensity periodization?

Yup. Noob here and it took me about 20 min to finish them all when I just started. As weights got heavier it took more time and right now it's about 40 min for the main lifts at least, then I spend another 20 or so on 2-3 accessories. It will probably keep increasing as the weights go up.

newfag here... looking to get in shape.

any chance of a breakdown on what all these means?

2x5, and then one set with as many reps as possible with no detoriation in form.
2x8-10 but as many as I can if I can.
Everything in paranthesis in what I superset with.
Power Cleans as warm-up for Deadlifts
Negs for Chins because I can only do like 3 chin-ups on a good day lol... But I only do chin-ups if I have the energy hence they are in brackets.

Just Greyskull as per the book with 2 accessories, but I changed out some of the more difficult stuff since I'm shit at dips and chins.

Yeah I'm looking to do something like this. Love doing deadlifts and feel like can progress faster, so hoping it would be OK to do as you say. But the Greyskull book is pretty clear on it being once per week and I don't feel like I can improve on it being a noob and all...

Well, if you were doing SS, you'd be doing deadlifts every other day, and squats every day, while starting out.

is then a lighter program on lower body like SS. If you think (or eventually feel) doing deads every week is too much, you can do squats -> deads -> squats -> power cleans, like in SS.

When you're not squatting every day though, doing squat -> deadlift -> power clean -> repeat should not be too much volume.

Only if you do the shitty phraks version. Do Veeky Forumss version instead.

>adding 2x12 arm work
>not harming recovery

lel mate, choose only one.

yeah, these guys then start struggling with OHPing 30kg and add in more triceps cuz "they're lagging". Later their bench stalls at 60kg and they conclude that fullbody routines are shit

I want to start using a routine (used to do all my exercises in one day instead of splitting them up, 3 days a week).

What is a good overall routine to do? Greyskull like pictured in OP, with lat pulldowns? Is 3 days a week enough, or would 4 be better?

Also, on Greyskull. "Alternating" means you do a set of X, then a set of Y, then a set of X? So you'd be using two stations at once?

why don't you try out AllPro's if you liked your past regimen?

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

>What is a good overall routine to do? Greyskull like pictured in OP, with lat pulldowns?
You can do chinups too, but lat pulldowns are better for progressive overload IMHO. That, and some people may not be able to do 3x5 chinups, in which case lat pulldowns give better volume.

>Is 3 days a week enough, or would 4 be better?
Do what program says. In the program in OP's pic related, keep it to 3/week. You can do cardio, stretching and abs on some rest days, but don't let it interfere with recovery. You'll eventually get a sense of how much work is too much work, before you do, err on the lighter side.

> Also, on Greyskull. "Alternating" means you do a set of X, then a set of Y, then a set of X? So you'd be using two stations at once?
No, you do one exercise in a workout, then do the other exercise in the next workout. So Monday Bench, Wednesday OHP, Friday Bench, next Monday OHP, Wednesday Bench and so on...

Thanks, that was a lot of help.

Right now I just do

8x3 DB bench press
8x3 preacher curls
8x3 seated DB OHP
5x5 squats
8x3 lat pulldowns
8x3 tricep pulldowns

and I'm hoping to break it up into several days for better gains. Will probably do Greyskyll and add extra accessories like preacher curls/tri pulldowns and switch chinups with Lat Pulldowns.

I just feel like going three times a week is kind of low to progress steadily, but I guess I'll try it out.

My bad, just realized that I wrote down sets differenty. It's 8 reps by 3 sets, not how most people do it.

>power cleans at 8 reps
>useful rep range for a power movement
pick one

AxBxAxx BxAxBxx, etc

A:
squats 4x5
ohp 4x5
rows 4x5
chins 4x5
tricep work 4x10

B:
deadlift 1x5 (couple warm up sets aswell working up to the final one)
bench 4x5
chins 4x5
dips 4x5
bicep work 4x10

been lifting for about 5 months now, been on this routine for about a month and a half.

would love some feedback on it, im getting worried its a little too much volume? perhaps you see any imbalances i should fix?

goal for now is primarily getting stronger but i certainly dont mind getting bigger aswell. bulking on a few hundred cals surplus if it makes any difference

anyone?

...you're absolutely right, my bad.

allpros isso fucking bad lol

As a beginner sure it harms recovery but you can just add them later as you advance.

AxBxCDx

A
Snatch 8x2
push press or pwr jerk 5x5
front or OH squat 5x3

B
Back squat 3x5 +1 max eff set
Bench press 5x5
Deadlift ramp up to 1x2 max eff

C
Snatch 4x2 (10% lighter than A)
Clean 6x2
OHP 5x5
pause squat 3x3

D
jerks 8x2
rows/w.pullups 3x5
other acc ad lib

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

A
Squats 3x5
Light Deadlift 3x5
Weighted dips 3x5
Pull ups 3x8

B
Squats 3x5
OHP 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin ups 3x8

Natty looking to make maximum gains here.
How many lifts do I need every day to fully hit each part? I currently do two lifts for each part I work that day. I used to do three lifts for each part.

A
>chins redundant if rows done correctly

B
>too much dips. Those are acc to bench. 2x5 is fine
>add some squats. Maybe 2x5 or 3x3 sets of pause squats with 75-80% of A weight

lol, ss 4 life yeah?

Monday
Squat 3 week cycle
bench 3 week cycle
dumbbell or meadows rows 3x8-10

Wednesday
Weighted crunches 2x15
single arm farmers walks 2 laps
military press 3x5
barbell curls 3x5
calf raises 4x15

Friday
Deadlift 3 week cycle
close grip bench 3x5 @80% of monday

3 week cycle:
5x5 80%
6x3 90%
7x1 92.5-95%

For greyskull I'm thinking of doing weighted dips on OHP day and some form of dumbell overhead press (moderate weight, high reps) on bench day. Would this be overkill?

Monday
Bench 3x 4-6,6-8,8-10
rows 3x8-10
weighted situps 2x15

Wednesday
O.H. press 3x4-6,6-8,8-10
Deadlift 2x4-6,6-8
barbell shrugs 3x8-10

Friday
Squat 3x4-6,6-8,8-10
Barbell curls 3x8-10
close grip bench 3x8-10
farmers walks or wrist curls 2 sets

Upper Body: AxBxAxBxCx

---------------A--------------
3x5 Overhead Dumbbell Press
3x5 Weighted Pullups
2x8-12 Lateral Raises
2x8-12 Dumbbell Biceps Curl

---------------B--------------
3x5 Bench Press
3x5 Dumbbell Rows
3x8-12 Reverse Grip Dumbell Press
3x12-15 Face Pulls

---------------C---------------
3x5 Weighted Dips
3x5 Weighted Chinups
2x8-12 Triceps Pushdown
2x8-12 Hammer Cable Curl

Lower Body: AxBxAx
A: 3x5 Squat
B: 1x5 Deadlift

Each workout is 1 of the Upper Body routines + 1 of the Lower body exercises + Abs

holy shit what kind of fucking program is this

man, that's a really generic question given we don't know anything about you, your progress/lifts and ability to recover
that's almost coach-level questions

best I can do: it seems to me that if you do the mix like that, your muscles don't seem to get much recovery from bench day (because of dips on OHP day), and the other way around

but perhaps your body is able to handle that just fine/the weights are low enough for recovery/ other reasons

honestly, this is such a precise question you'd really need a good coach to discuss it with

it doesn't make much sense to add more pressing and tricep volume. curls, lat raises and facepull are fine though.

wouldn't add another squat day, you should be doing SS if you want to squat 3 times per week.

it just shows you have no idea what you're doing. you'd add light squats on wednesday if anything.

just do the program as written for a few months please.

what is this? is it from a book? what is it for?

i like the simplicity

i found it last night, by a guy names john christy.
just a general strength routine. the guy is dead, but he used to have lots of good stuff.

its just for general strength. he advocated getting a 300 bench 400 squat and 500 dead before moving on to bodybuilding stuff

Pretty much Phrak's Greyskull with added accessories.

Added a day for Dips/Chins as main push/pull that I cycle with the other since I like to do them as main. It also lets me focus 3/5 workouts on chest and 3/5 on vertical pulling which are what I want to improve the most right now

meant for

a bit much going on. focus on 6-8 exercises (squat bench dead ohp rows curls close grip bench, stiff leg dl for example) and workout 3 times a week

>Monday
Bench (ramping) 5x5, 3x10 @60%
Squat (ramping) 5x5
Dumbell fly 5x10
Row 5x8
Calf Raises 6x15
Weighted Crunches 4x10
Dips 4x10

>Tuesday
Cardio
Abs

>Wednesday
Deadlift 4x3@60, 6x1, 4x1@60
Incline bench 7x6
Seated DB Shoulder press 5x10
Chest flies 4x8
Flat DB bench 4x8
Pull-ups 5x10
Triceps curls 3x10
Calf Raises 6x15
Weighted crunches 4x10

>Thursday
Cardio
Abs

>Friday
Repeat Monday Routine

How does it look Veeky Forums?

looks dope imho

yea i like it, similar cycle to 531 but more volume with the working sets

Im not adding another squat day. Its an acc to hit quads and on the same day as I do my normal weight squat.
Why is it such a bad idea to add a bit hypertrophy work?
Been doing gslp for almost a year but on deficit so no gains. Now Im bulking and want to add mass with hypertrophy.

>best I can do: it seems to me that if you do the mix like that, your muscles don't seem to get much recovery from bench day (because of dips on OHP day), and the other way around

Yeah this is the bit I was wondering about: if I were to do dips on a Monday (with OHP) would it hinder my bench on Wednesday?

I'm not entirely sure what my recovery time is like, I'll probably give it a go. Thanks.

AxBxCxx

----A----
3x5 Squat
3x8 Pull-up
3x12 Skull Crushers
3x15 Standing Calv Raises

----B----
3x8 Bench
3x8 Rows
3x12 Abs Machine
3x12 Rotator Cuffs (all 3 ways)

----C----
1x5 Deadlift
3x10 Military Press
3x12 Incline Bench
3x12 Biceps

saturday or sunday cardio

Would really appreciate an answer to this.

what parts are you even talking about? you wrote literally nothing down

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Need advice with my routine
Day a
Triceps extension 4x10
Alternated biceps curl 4x10
palms in shoulder press 4x8

Day b
Dumbbell lunges 2x15
30 russian twists
30 weughtend crunches
30 cycling abs
30 elbow to knee abs

Give me some advice on the routine
And i would like some chest exercises but i dont have a bench should i do push ups also should i do more reps and less sets for abs

For a beginner, is it alright if I do squats + deadlifts + OHP + bench + rows for 2 workouts a week?

I plan to space them 3 days apart. Or is it better to do Day A/B even as a beginner?

I've been lifting for 1.5 yrs but always 3x8-12 PPL type stuff.

Would I make gains if I did a beginner program like SS or Reg Park?

You want to do all of them on one day? And then do that twice a week? No way will you be able to get those done in one session.

>2 workouts a week?

Weak

why not? my condo gym is always empty.

Very bad routine, just do something from

it's not about effort. I don't have the time. Even squeezing in 2 workouts is hard enough

I cant go to the gym and i only have a set of dumbbells

why wouldnt you use those to bench and squat? how heavy do they get?

It's not that.

If you're doing compounds lifts at your peak strength for say 3x5 there's no way you'll have enough in the tank to do more than 3 exercises. Personally, a heavy squat and heavy deadlift workout is enough to fatigue the hell out of me (and ensure I'm dripping with sweat).

You're free to try doing all those in one session, I just reckon it'll be so taxing as to not be worth it.

How does this upper/lower routine look Veeky Forums?

Lower A
Squats - 3x5
RDL - 3x8
Lunges - 2x8
Leg Curl - 2x8
Straight Calf Raise - 3x12/Ab Work 3x12 superset

Upper A
Bench - 3x5
Chest Supported Row - 3x8
Incline Bench - 3x8
Lat Pulldown - 2x10
Lateral Raise 2x15/Face Pulls 2x15 superset
Bicep Curls 2x12/Overhead Tricep Ext 2x12 superset

Lower B
Deadlift - 3x5
Leg Press - 3x8
Leg Extensions - 2x12
Leg Curl - 2x12
Seated Calves 3x15/Ab Work 3x15 superset

Upper B
Military Press - 3x5
Pull-ups - 3x8
Flat DB Bench - 3x8
Cable Row - 2x10
Lateral Raise 2x15/Flys 2x15 superset
Bicep Curls 2x15/Tricep Pressdown 2x15 superset

why is it that squatting could be done basically every workout, whereas other exercises need to wait at least until the workout after?

SS(Replace Cleans W/ Pendlay Rows
10 Pullups/Chinups/Some other pullup variant(Assisted)
15 Dips
10 Hanging Leg Raises x 2
10 Ab Rollouts x2
1 minute Plank/Side Plank x2
12 Standing Dumbell Curl
12 Standing Dumbell Delt Fly
12 Concentration Curl
25 One Arm Rows
10 Min Cardio Warmup

Dyel just started lifting a few weeks ago
What should I add/remove ?
Tips ?

I see. I'll heed your advice.

Day A/B even if I'm only doing 2x a week. Squatting every time is fine, yeah?

Oh well in that case yeah I'd do something like what you posted. Maybe pick squats or deadlifts though desu

With SS/Greyskull/other beginner programs is it okay to do AxBxCxAxBxC rather than AxBxCxxAxBxCxx?

i.e. is the two day rest at the end of the week necessary?

>tfw bench is my best lift
>cant do a chin up so using lat pull downs
>>theyre stalled
>couldnt do dips at the start but don't feel like close grip bench is helping my triceps at all

What do

I did SS for around 3-4 months a few years back and I was making steady progress (except for OHP, fuck OHP) on all lifts while I was going every other day. I believe the actual SS book mentions that you can lift every other day and be perfectly fine.

If you wanna do dips then have them on bench day. This way your presses adhere to a "heavy/light" regime allowing for overall better recovery of especially triceps and front delts

I like doing pull ups after bench variations way more than after ohp. Cant say why, I think its about ohp and pull ups both using the long triceps head alot, they just seem easier after bench (rowing after bench/ohp doesnt matter). Looks fine, overall squat frequency is pretty low tho

What do you think I mean when I say part?

Remove all that shitty work and look at >amrap set + 3x10 triceps work isnt too much for recovery

Trappy just shoves a fuckton of flashy shit on popular routines and call them Veeky Forumss version. Extra pressing volume and arm work is detrimental to progress on most fullbody routines

AxBxAxx

A
Deadlift
Bench
Pull-Ups
Incline DBB Bench
1 exercise of Curls
Hangig Leg-Raises

B
Squat
OHP
Yate Rows
Dips
Lateral Raises
Hanging Leg-Raises

want to introduce power cleans to B after OHP or Rows but need to work on form first

the problem is I literally cannot do a single dip following a bench workout.

So I'll even remove dips? Wouldn't they help with both ohp and bench? What if I can't do a single chin up? Is there a reason for the chin ups over pullups?

Then just fuck extra pressing/dipping until you can. It gives you NOTHING right now and you've concluded it yourself

Yes, fuck dips. Do negatives chin/pull ups, band/weight assisted in machine. Chins involve supination of forearm (more biceps), pull ips involve pronation of forearm (more forearm). Both work well since both do elbow flexion, just pick one and stick to it. The pull ups are usually easier on the elbow joint.

ONE ARMED OTIS UPS - 3 SETS, 10 REPS (EACH SIDE)
RUSSIAN TWISTS - 3 SETS, 20 REPS
REVERSE CRUNCH HIP LIFTS - 3 SETS, 10 REPS
WEIGHTED CRUNCHES - 3 SETS, 15 REPS is this a good abs routine

Hows this:
5 day split
Monday: Chest/Biceps

4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-15 reps
3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Chest Dips until failure
3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8
(Do bench press first)
Tuesday: Legs/Calves

4 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Press 8-20 reps
3 sets of Leg Extensions till failure
3 sets of Leg Curls 8-15reps
Calves are self explanatory, just use some of the machines till failure, a lot of reps, feel the burn.

Wednesday: Back

3 sets of Lat Pulldowns 8-10 reps
4 sets of Deadlifts 8 reps
3 sets of long bar Rows 8-15reps
3 sets of barbell Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Hyperextensions 8-10 reps
(Deadlifts done first)
Thursday: Shoulders/Triceps

3 sets of bench , go for same weight and reps as Monday at least
4 sets of Shoulder Press, alternate with Barbell & Dumbell every week 8-15 reps
3 sets of Upright Rows supersetted with Lateral Raises 8-15 reps
3 sets of front raises 8-15reps
3 sets of Lying Rear Delt Raises 8-10 reps
4 sets of Pulldowns 8-15reps
3 sets of Skullcrushers 8-15 reps
Saturday: Full Body (strength)

3 sets of Deadlifts 8 reps
3 sets of Squats 8 reps
3 sets of Leg extensions 10-15 reps (light weight)
Focus on compounds and try to add 2 reps to each accessory exercise each session until you can do 15 reps with that weight. Next session, increase the weight and drop the reps back down to 8
Lower the volume if you're cutting. You might have to adjust the volume to what you can handle too if you're bulking

what is this typed in?

AxBxCxx
Hill sprints or do something active with friends at least twice a week,
preferably on my rest days

>A
Deadlift 1x5+
OHP 3x8
Chinups 3x8
Dips 3x8-12
Face Pulls 3x12-15
Farmer's Walks 4xF

>B
Squat 3x8
Bench 3x8
Dumbell Row 3x8
Curls 3x8-12
Lateral Raises 3x12-15
Ab Wheel 3x6-8

>C
Power Clean + Push Press 3x3
Incline Bench 3x8
Pull Ups 3x8
Curls 3x8-12
Face Pulls 3x12-15
Farmer's Walks 4xF

Increase weight when I hit reps
Probably change to a more strength based progression on compounds soon.
Chins, dips, and pull ups are weighted
Ab wheel is kneeling with a pause at the bottom. Add a second to the pause when I hit reps
>o-one day I'll do standing
I'm just learning power cleans, so C day is a little weird. I'll probably end up dropping incline bench for incline flies as a 3x8-15 hypertrophy after pull ups after I stop progressing on one of the exercises.

I recently bought a pair of dumbbells should i add dumbbell squats like pic related to my routine what are they good for

DeFranco Built like a Badass here, anyone else go all of the way through the program? I'm a month in and so far I'm liking it, but I feel like it lacks leg work. General input on the program also welcome.

I need your advice Veeky Forums, I'm currently doing candito's lp strength/hypertrophy routine and wanted to know, if I were to change monday to a rest day and sunday to a workout day would it affect my gains? I just started school and the schedule I got makes it hard to workout on mondays. For reference here is what I'm currently doing:

>Monday
Squat 3x6
Deadlift 2x6
Leg Press 3x10
Lying Leg Curl Machine 3x10

>Tuesday
Bench Press 3x6
Barbell Row 3x6
Ohp 2x6
Pull Up 3x6
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
Incline Bench Press 3x8

>Thursday
Squat 5x8
Sumo Deadlift 3x8
Lying Leg Curl 3x12
Standing Calf Raise Machine 5x15
Leg Press 4x10
Seated Calf Raise Machine 4x12

>Friday
Dumbbell Bench Press 4x8
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x8
Dumbbell Row 4x8
Seated Dumbbell Press 3x10
Chin up 4x8
Ez Bar Curl 3x10
Lateral Dumbbell Raise 4x12
Shrugs 4x12

Is there any difference between the two in terms of lat gains?