What does Veeky Forums think about the importance of having aesthetically pleasing teeth?

What does Veeky Forums think about the importance of having aesthetically pleasing teeth?

Thinking of spending £2500 to have invisible braces / get my teeth whitened and sorted. Has anyone over the age of 21 here had braces as an adult before? Please share stories / advice etc etc.

it faggening

subhumans like you should just accept the cards you've been dealt

I am 21 and have had braces for one year now. My parents didn't have money for fixing my really ugly teeth and I paied 10k for it (live in switzerland shit is expensive here)

I would say I would do it any day again. it is definitely worth it. DO IT NOW while you are young. Nice teeth are a status symbol and literally one of the first things someone notices.

do it.

do it if you think it'll make you happier.

Coming to the end of my invisalign. Can't recommend it enough if you have the cash for it. Great teeth gains.

I'm 22 and got my braces off like two weeks ago after almost 3 years
Pretty worth it tbhfam

My teeth still aren't aesthetic because there's a white stain right in one of the front teeth but I like how straight they are

>Nice teeth are a status symbol and literally one of the first things someone notices.

This.

Similar story here. Parents didn't give a shit and even though braces were free where I grew up they couldn't be bothered to take me to the dentist / orthodontist.

Fixed them by getting braces at 21 and had them for over five years due to complications having my wisdom teeth removed. Removal of first tooth left me traumatised and had the rest pulled under anaesthetics / being put to sleep. The first one was worse than the whole rest combined.

A lot of pain, a lot of money spent, but completely worth it.

Fair play how long did you have them on for? And did it give you a lisp?

I had clear train track braces at the age of 25 been on an NHS waiting list since 14.

cost me £3000

best decision i ever made

clarification: I went private in the end.

teeth gains + whitening = grills love it.

Also - self litigating braces are the bomb, because appointments aren't as frequent. Ex-damon wearer here.

Teeth makes your face. After fixing my teeth i smiled so much.I credit the women i got to fixing my teeth for a perfect smile.

What's the cheapest way to straighten teeth? I only have two teeth that need straightening due to me literally pulling them back from grinding my teeth like a meth hound.

tl;dr How long does it take for teeth to move forward like a 1/4 inch?

I got my braces put on Saturday at 20 years old. One of my front teeth goes back like a / backslash. It gets stopped by the two braces on my lower teeth. How long will it take for it to go forward? My lower jaw is also an inch behind where it should be.

22 when i got invisalign braces, closed my front teeth gap. got all sorts of compliments. cost me 3k bucks i saved up until then.

do it. don't think twice.

>tfw 13 and average teeth
>orthodonist tells me i wont really need it but could be wise to do it anyway.
>parents and ortho tell me it's my choice
>all My 13 year old mind could think of is the horror and pain and terrible look of braces
>I say no
>now 22, ugly ass teeth
Fucking love my parents but at the same time loathe them for not being Alpha and force me to because 'you'll thank me when you're older'
REEEEEE

Depends on the braces and Orthodontist. One of my canines (worst tooth by far) moved down 1/4 inch in the space of 2 - 3 weeks with a self litigating system.

As for slanting, I think that takes longer. I had one of my bottom front teeth removed due to too much slant and overlap. The braces closed the gap and you wouldn't notice unless I told you.

>and force me to
YOU!.. you did this to yourself...
Do you now want the government to "Force you" to shower each day, to brush your teeth// to wipe you own stinking ass.

Grow a pair!

what if your teeth are all naturally straight but they just aren't all the same size? I wouldn't need braces, I'd need something like veneers ffs

Veneers are a pain because they can break away from the tooth, similar to a filling. Ceramics are rather brittle, and only feasible if you have enough time and money to maintain.

Shit teeth undermensch here. Parents ignored it and were too cheap to pay $2000 when I was 14 to get it fixed. I got used to never smiling, talking; let alone kissing a girl nor ever reproducing. Now I'm 25 and about to pay $6000 to get it done in a 5 year treatment and additional problems caused by negligence.
And yes, I do blame my parents for being shitheads and not helping me overcome my insecurities they were aware of as a teenager

Seven months.
I had a lisp for maybe the first 2/3 days. No problems with that at all since then.
If you go for it just be aware of the fact that like 80% of people need refinement trays. So it will probably take longer than you are initially told.

Lol fuck off m8. 13 year old kids cant make life changing decisions. It's a parent's job to give a crap and step in. Besides, it's completely free in my country so it's not like they couldn't.

I have braces at the moment. I'm 19 and have had them since the start of the year. They're pretty pricey but my teeth have already improved no end.

DO NOT GET THE INVISIBLE BRACES THEY DISCOLOUR VERY QUICKLY AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE HORRIBLE YELLOW TEETH

Get ordinary metal braces and then get your teeth whitened if they are not clean-looking even when brushed.

It'll be worth it, trust me.

Samefag here.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

I'm 28 and I just got invisalign. I'm on week 9 of 48.

It's expensive as fuck but you need to think about it in the context that you're improving or perfecting the thing that people notice about you first when they meet you for the rest of your life.

I'm in MA and my total out of pocket is about $5000 over technically two years. They were super flexible with payment options so I'd push your clinic to be flexible too.

If your work has an FSA max it to $2500 which is the federal maximum per year. Depending on your tax bracket this will save you $500-750 on the total cost. My clinical let me wait a whole year to pay the second half so that I could max out my FSA two years in a row. This saved me $1000-1500 off the total cost.

As for the trays themselves, I would highly recommend. Day 1 was BRUTAL and I'd have to take them out every hour or so because they were just too much. Now I swap them out weekly every Friday and they're tight for 24-72 hours but not something I'd describe as painful.

I got them mainly for the gap in my two front teeth. Other than that gap my smile was 90% fine and I wouldn't have gotten them otherwise. The good news is the trays make your smile look better so now even though there's a gap still, as it hasn't closed yet, it looks like the gap is closed already with the trays.

i second this OP. I also got the metal braces because they are cheaper, sturdier and don't get discoloured.

and never ever be insecure about them. after a while you won't notice them anymore but always be aware of them so that you won't get insecure if people point them out. see it as a temporarily daunt to your attractiveness but it will pay of 100 times

Good teeth are a must if you want to be attractive

>13 year old kids cant make life changing decisions
You little fucking cum mistake... they asked you and you REFUSED... You were a total fucking bastard at the time and neither parent wanted to listen to you complain ALL the fucking time about your teeth hurting and how much you HATE them for FORCING you to get braces...
You are a broken condom drunken MISTAKE

i had braces the sides just naturally realigned and the pain is still a struggle if i dont stick to a less sugary diet

You can get rid of most of the staining using whitening tablets for dentures.

not even the user you are replying too. you sound like a sad fuck and should immedialty kys. children can't make long term decision for themselves and parents are here to guide them. so really just stfu

I posted before I read some other peoples posts, so I just want to add:

The trays do turn yellow. My clinic has me on 1 tray/week but I've read online, and they even told me, that 1 tray/2 weeks is standard. I can imagine them being very yellow after 2 weeks but after 1 week they're only just starting to get yellow.

Also shop around. I got a quote like 6 years ago and it was the same price as it was today at another clinic. At the time I was a poor college student who only worked summers but once you have a job you can typically more than afford them. If you take the FSA route you're looking at $200/mo for two years or so at a similar price. Like I said I maxed my FSA for 2 years in a row which is $32 off each weekly paycheck, paid $600 up front, then set up an 8 month payment plan for the remaining $1000.

My teeth are straight and all but I want to close my upper front tooth gap, I can't bear it anymore, it seems to not be attractive to girls my age (25yo), I already don't like the fact that I'm incapable of growing any facial hair and that makes me look like 18yo tops I don't want tooth gap to add a goofy look to it.
Toughs?
How much does it take to close front tooth gap?
I heard a good solution to get a wire on the back of my teeth this way it's invisible and I don't have to worry about my going back to their original state. Because I didn't know that you have to wear retainers and shit to keep those teeth straight after braces, the dentists are very careful about keeping this to themselves the absolute MADMEN

>children can't make long term decision for themselves and parents are here to guide them

No shit Sherlock... but you little shits need to stop blaming your parents for letting you make some of your own life decisions.... FUCK you people are pussies... I had a Mormon GF who you to complain how much she HATED being forced to go to Temple with her family... There is no rule book on being a parent... some are too permissive and some are too tyrannical... personally I lean HEAVILY to the tyrannical.. better your children HATE you at 18 for being a complete TYRANT (but be healthy in body mind and soul), then them be pregnant, drug using, criminals

Please never procreate. You literally sound like a retarded person who should never ever have such power over a human being like a parent has over his/her child.

Getting them straightened with braces is generally a good idea. Unless they're hideously stained, getting them bleached looks cringy more often than not.

get veneers u poorfag

Too white and you look a bit high maintenance or come off as someone who is very shallow. I know this because people with fucktons of money who think their shit doesn't stink do it every other month (my sister is one of them).

They really are a symbol of status, however they can also have an intimidating effect. Off-white is better because people are just more comfortable around something that isn't flat out fake and perfect. Because let's face it, almost nobody has white teeth beyond even the age of 13.

Of course there's nothing wrong with maintenance every so often. But people DO go overboard on the whitening.

As for straight teeth, it really depends on what you're working with. People can say they have "ugly" teeth and they're not even that bad, just like how people tend to perceive their weight or wrinkles... Or yunno... Pimples? If they ARE legitimately THAT bad, then yes go get them sorted because you may as well get your moneys worth. If it's a minor fix up on something nobody can really see, then don't worry so much. Of course, if you are worrying too much regardless of situation then go get it done to knock out that anxiety.

I was born with almost perfectly straight teeth, and they're really well maintained because I actually kept up with it from an early age. However that was still after the adult set came through and so I still have fillings in the back. At one point the small things did bother me, but when I look around I usually have the best teeth in the room. But they're not SO good that they're unnatural looking ya feel?

yep that's what I've heard too. my teeth are straight which is good I guess and no one has ever said anything about my teeth ever so maybe I'm just being self conscious for no reason

Yup.

I got braces when I was like 15. I had to wear some sort of see-through plastic mold thing every night after.
Of course, I didn't wear it and now my teeth (while still not crooked at all) are starting to move a bit again.
Probably have to get braces again at some point in the future...

Also, idk how common braces are in the states, but where I live (the Netherlands) almost every teenager gets them.
It was quite the culture shock when I visited Japan and saw 99% of the people there with horribly fucked up teeth.

If your teeth are too white that shit looks fake.
Just get your teeth professionally cleaned every once in a while with the polishing brush.
Gets all the micro debris out that you're missing during your daily cleaning

Doesn't look natural, and to put the veneers they have to damage your teeth a bit which is not acceptable.

My teeth are yellow

Less sugar, suppress coffee and tea

how does sugar make it yellow?

Ever noticed how people in Africa that are not on a western diet have good looking white teeth? It's because western diet has too many sugar in it.

i eat loads of sugar and i do have shitty teetth.

btw, i wanna do laser whitening stuff
but there are several different dentists who use different devices
how the fuck should i choose?

Man drinking tea/coffee is fine if you just drink some water afterwards

what did he mean by this

It's because the face surrounding their teeth is very black and by contrast makes their teeth look very white.

I brush them once a week at most. I hope they will last though. So far moderately good

>tfw used braces at 14
>tfw mouth breathing because of it
>tfw the dentist was a recently egressed girl who didn't give a fuck at all
>tfw got my braces out when i was 18 and because of mouthbreathing during braces i developed a fucked up face

>tfw didn't even got good teeth because the dentist enlarged the process for some years just to get cash out of me

>tfw went to another dentist at 19 who said that i was scammed during all those years because she didn't fix my jaw when she could and called her unprofessional

>tfw fucked up jaw and fucked up teeth at 21

i have went through so many bullshit because of my braces and now i didn't even got a nice face, fml

the best part of invisalign: it forced me to floss everyday

Just get veneers

My teeth are nice and straight but after a few years of smoking and a few years of chew they weren't very white.

I stopped chewing/smoking and don't drink much coffee or wine or staining stuff.

I did a crest whitestrips thing over a year ago and did it again earlier this year. Made quite a difference. I might do it one more time.

I had an overbite and got that fixed and I currently have braces to finish fixing up my teeth.
Overbite correction was 100% worth it as it's made my jawline look manly as fuck and I didn't even pay a cent for it.
Braces will be on for 2 years and it's a long time but it's 100% worth it.
Do it now while your young.

A couple more details
Overbite correction being free was due to the fact I signed up to some clinical trial.
Braces will cost a total of 4k over this year but treatment will continue all of next year.
They normally cost ~8k but I'm going through a university so it's dirt cheap.
I'm 19 this year btw

Same reason I didn't get them.

I'm about to turn 22 and am contemplating on getting them or waiting till I can afford invisalign.
I never really cared about it myself. I have 2 huge gaps in my front row, top and bottom, and all my other teeth are sort of displaced and stick out.
It's because my tongue is way too big for my mouth so it pushes my teeth out. This causes me to bite my tongue and cheek a lot, which is the main reason I want to fix them.

>13 year olds
>having foresight that goes beyond the immediate

Got invisalign at the age of 21. Bottom teeth were broken as fuck and I wanted to straighten them. Worked pretty great. Only hard thing was that I had to take out the braces to eat. Doing it in public was a chore since you have to make sure no one is looking. A lot of saliva is displaced when you take them out so it looks nasty as fuck lmao

Im 26 got them in decemeber I could never afford them now I can.I had a crossbite my top two front teeth were behind my bottom teeth they were like that my whole life now already my top teeth are finally over my bottom it feels weird but good my smile looks great already

>british
>good teeth

you would be worshipped as a living god

It's worth it. Had braces done as a kid, currently whitening now.

Absolutely. My teeth are almost perfect. Never needed braces. They are a tiny bit crowded in the bottom front, though, and that's enough to make me wear my retainer pretty much every night.

Not totally related, but also make sure you brush and floss. Dental work of the non-cosmetic nature is also extremely expensive.