Im still a newbie to lifting but I really like benching...

Im still a newbie to lifting but I really like benching. I'm doing Sl 5x5 and was wondering if I can bench on ohp days and just use ohp as an accessory? Would this be ok to do?

if you have enough good boy points you can do whatever you want :^)

Yeah - it would actually be better. SS/SL have very low bench frequency and volume.

Funny but I'm not /r9k/ and yeah that's what I felt too. I like the simplicity of sl5x5 but many say it'll make you t rex mode so I'm making sure to do enough upper. One more question, I work 12 hour days 3 days in a row, but have 4 days off. Is it OK for me to just hit the gym those 4 days in a row? Then take working days as rest? Since sl5x5 has rest days in between.

I'd personally advice against it. OHP builds a fantastic core and being able to do a bodyweight OHP is often a great feat of novice strength. Do SL until linear gains stop and then switch to an advanced program that allows you to modify the way you want it. The beginner programs are fine the way they are and OHP is a great exercise.

Ohp is a fantastic way to snap your back. It's one of the technically most difficult lifts and it's rewards aren't anything you cant get from seated dumbell press.

Ohp isn't worth it

They alternate bench press and press because without an exercise to balance the forces acting on the shoulder girdle, bench press will screw up your shoulder health over time.

Better to do a lift that you don't like and stay healthy than skip it and let it come back to haunt you later. 'Bench frequency' is only important if you plan to be a competitive powerlifter, and even then it isn't important to you as a novice when you're still establishing basic strength.

Just started this week and loading 5x5 as well. I work 3/12 at night, trying figure out when to throw routines down.

Alright so stick to the program it is. Is it OK for me to go 4 days in a row then 3 consecutive rest days? Work schedule makes it so this is the best option for me.

>bajheera
my nigga

anyone /steatedohp/ here?

i like it better because there's 0 chance of accidentally pushpressing your reps

Hell yeah, he's my inspiration. Looks sick as fuck, as a qt3.14 wife, plays WoW for a living. Baj is life goals.

Someone needs to photoshop the trophy and his fingers out so he looks like a really weird amputee.

>bodyweight oph
>novice

kek...

It really isn't advisable as you won't recover properly.

Gaining strength (ib4 muh hypertrophy, they're the same thing, especially for noobs) is a process of physiological adaptation to stress. You don't get stronger by lifting the weights, you get stronger through the process of recovering from lifting the weights.

You'll very quickly discover you can't make progress lifting 4 days in a row.

No, it's not okay. Rest days are when the muscles grow. Besides SL is 3 workouts a week, not 4. AxBxAxxBxAxBxx.
Repeat until infinity or gains run out

Push press is a completely separate lift, el faggo grande. If you're that worried about it just lock your knees and do the lift strict.

>bodyweight OHP is often a great feat of novice strength
>feat
I OHPed my bw for reps first day at the gym and I was 40 lbs overweight, kek

So I guess I'll just have to nut the fuck up and go during one of my work days. Just sucks cause I sleep from 9am - 4-5 pm work is at 10pm. If I go right when I wake up its packed like a Jewish train ride not a single free weight is available.

>snap back on ohp

Only thing you're doing eith hour back is keeping it nice and tight, along with your ass and core. Literally no part of the motion, if done properly, implements the upper or lower back for anything other than stabitlity at the top of the rom where your shoulders should be tenses and holding the weight up.

>bodyweight ohp
>novice strength

My nigga I heard yesterday was your first day at the gym, good for you!

Do as you please, but 4 days on, 3 days off is a horrible schedule and won't let you gain a lot. Maybe find a gym with less people?