Deadlifts are not necessary for aesthetics and have a high chance of serious injury compared to other lifts due to the...

>Deadlifts are not necessary for aesthetics and have a high chance of serious injury compared to other lifts due to the weight being used.

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BJan8okgI6u
youtube.com/watch?v=xHoOMQB8twg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>and have a high chance of serious injury compared to other lifts

Prove it.
I see all these people confusing untrained bad form lifting from the floor with well performed deadlifitng, using that as a reason why deadlifting is inherently dangerous. Yet I see no PROOF of deadlifting being dangerous for anything other than idiots using a bent arm and mixed grip.

why don't you just say "I'm too much of a pussy to do deadlifts, please comfort me and say I'll get the same results without them"

>high chance of serious injury
if you're clueless and cant invest the time to learn the form properly then I agree

but they build the Erectors, traps, glutes and hamstrings very well and give you some good grip strength

this is discussing
this is memeing

this is absolutely correct OP

The only people obsessing about deadlifts are either:

1- dyel noobs that read deadlifts are good
2- cross-fit faggots
3- powerlifters / permafat bulkers

I love deadlifting desu. I couldn't give a shit if it affects my chance of "aesthetics" or not.
I deadlift without a belt, and always let go of a rep if the bar stops moving or if I know bad form is coming (this being something you learn as you go) and I have never had an injury or discomfort from them.

Bench press is far more dangerous, and thats without considering the possibility of dropping the bar on yourself.

>this is memeing
everybody knows I'm right. you don't want to do deadlifts. you want people to tell you that it's OK

>lifting all that weight is dangerous and scary, I'll stick to the 15lbs dumbbells thanks

Why don't you just become a cardio bunny and do bodyweight squats

>Bench press is far more dangerous
this is true but even then it can be safe if you take precautions

If you feel tired I would skip or go light or at least get a spotter. Dont attempt a grinder is also a good tip. Dont use the suicide grip

If I didn't powerlift I'd probably just do romanian deadlifts in the 8 rep range for hamstring and glute gains desu

I've been going to the gym for a couple of years and if you're natty DL seems to be the best thing ever to break plateaus. I used to not do them since my line of thinging was exactly like OPs. But DL helped with my squats, my crunches, rows, my gripstrength, my forearms and my traps etc. I just don't see why you wouldn't do them. Once a weeks is enough.

I'm not OP, I do deadlifts, but I think OP just wants to hear different opinions.
There's actually a lot of people who think that way (not on Veeky Forums obv)

I'll expand on this then.

Basically, lifting heavy objects from the floor is one of the most basic things we can do physically.
Only in the last century have we turned into a race of chair sitting unflexible fucks. Our hamstring mobility on the whole has gone to shit because we no longer squat in every day life, notice in India, China and other less westernised nations, people squat ass to grass basically as a means of sitting anywhere. This is how humans evolved, to sit, and to shit.
Anyway, this inflexibility has led to people "lifting with the back" rather than with the knees when they pick something up. Coupled with lack of core strength and lumbar erector strength, this means the slightest bit of stress can cause a spinal injury to the average middle aged weakling.
So, over time, this has become people thinking that lifting from the floor is dangerous, rather than realising the actual cause.

So of course the average person sees someone deadlifting and thinks "omg thats so dangerous!"

If you were lifting the bar like a fat untrained middle aged man with no regards to correct form, then yes of course its dangerous.

Correct deadlift form, with proper activation of the core and hamstrings, will negate any stress placed directly on the spine, and the chance of spinal injury is gone. Knowing when to let go of the bar if a rep gets too hard is also important, as is being careful with lowering the bar, as gravity + bar momentum can easily outweigh your ability to slow the bar down with your muscles, leading to stress on the spine. This is why a "controlled drop" is recommended for heavier weights.

Try and find evidence of someone hurting their back when performing a deadlift with any close to decent form, the evidence isn't there.

Deadlifts aren't bad. People only get injured from them because they're weak fucks with bad form and bad mobility

see

Start moving serious weight (300kg) and then come back and say you will only get injured with good form.

You build my erector.

I deadlift and I do rack pulls aswell, honestly love both exercises, feel more flexible, more athletic, and perform to a higher physical standard in anything from sex to hiking and running, if you have shitty form then yeah you gonna get rekt but the obvious solution to that is do a weight that is maneagable until you have perfected the form, My current 1 rep max is 130kg/286lbs, but I hope to get a 200+KG by the end of next year.

That isn't exclusive to deadlifts though.

Moving elite weight on any lift puts you at a relatively high risk of injury.

what the fuck are you even trying to say? I cant comprehend your retardation

>I deadlift and I do rack pulls aswell, honestly love both exercises
>My current 1 rep max is 130kg/286lbs,

PMSL

it's not exclusive to lifting either. elite performance in pretty much any sport comes with a relatively high risk of injury. it also happens to be a lot lower in the barbell sports than most others sports.

>caring about aesthetics
what a faggot

Feel free to post your no doubt totally accurate and not-at-all embellished E-stats

It's the fact you are posting shit like

>if you have shitty form then yeah you gonna get rekt

When you are pathetically weak.

The 2 (ex) competitive bodybuilders at my gym deadlift with high volume and heavy weights. More than one type of deadlift a session too if you count meme different bars or different styles
But feel free to ignore this as it doesn't fit into your narrative

True. Squats, good mornings and rows will cover all of the muscles the deadlift works. I still do them, but that's due to personal preference.

fucking hell fuck that guy

If you think being able to deadlift 130kg for a 1RM (not even 3 plate) is anywhere close to impressive, you must be a supreme DYEL.

Not him how long have you been lifting for and what weight did you start at?
I just want to know how I progressed relative to others.

I started at 60kg for 5reps and couldn't lift 100kg for 1 rep
I hit 120kg for reps about 3 months later. I have all my lifts written down from when I started if you want me to find exactly when.
I had a break from lifting for 3 moths at the start of the year for an unrelated to lifting injury.
I now deadlift 155kg for 5

I'm not him but people on Veeky Forums have snapped their shit up with barely 2 plates so how strong you are is a non issue. It's about form

Plenty of top powerlifters use good form and have still snapped their shit up

No, they snapped their shit up on a moment of formbreak down.

This. DL is one of the best exercises out there, has helped me a lot in the past month. All you need is good form and the correct weight to rep ratio depending on your goals.

Prove it.

>Deadlifts

Belt or no belt?

3+ plates belt

everything else, no belt

That's the same as saying that running is bad for you because some marathon runners collapse and die or that swimming is bad for you because some long distance ocean swimmers drown.
Take any exercise to the extreme and the chance of death or injury increases.

I deadlift 250kg and have never used a belt.
A top powerlifter has deadlifted 939lbs without a belt.

They aren't necessary, but can be useful if you are hitting a plateau.

rekt

>form is perfect
>always asked by fellow lifters for form checks as they know I'm a dank meme
>deadlift 4plate for reps
>slip l5 disc on 2nd rep

Wear a belt kids... Beyond 3plate DL is dangerous, but you should 100% doing it or you're a faggot

Well no.. A belt is not used for injury prevention. If your form is dangerous, a belt will not stop it being dangerous.

If you have shit form and ego lift, then yes it does have a high injury rate...just like any other form of exercise.

See I don't think your form is as perfect as you think, seeing you fucked up.

My form is spot on. Belts do aid in injury prevention you clown

>Mess up a deadlift with 200kg+

Cripple spine for life

>Mess up a dumbell curl

Maybe slightly injure a tendon

My form is perfect. I just have lower back issues that I pushed the limit of. I had no idea my lower back was weak until the injury told me, prior to the doctor

A bicep tendon tear is not a small issue. It can affect your entire life quite badly.

Also you couldn't "cripple" your spine for life with a deadlift even if you tried. At most you will herniate a disc which is completely recoverable from.

It helps my fucking powers over 9000. The same motion as a hip thruster.

They won't stop injury if form is bad, is what I'm saying.

Yes they indirectly help prevent injury by helping brace the core, which is a key factor in protecting the spine. But if the form is bad, the belt will not prevent injury.

If your form is fine then thats great. But if your form is fine without a belt, thats great too.

The people who claim that deadlifting is bad for you are the same people I see in the gym with absolutely horrific deadlift form.
If you perform the deadlift properly, focus on form and are sensible about your progression, the benifits far outweigh the risks.

Personally, I have found deadlifting incredibly beneficial to my health. I used to have a bad lower back before I started deadlifting and as I got bigger and stronger, it got worse and worse. Because of this, I thought that deadlifting would just add to the pain so I kept putting it off waiting for my back to heal.
Eventually, a friend recommended I start deadlifting and so I started light and built my way up and every week, my back pain lessened. Now I have absolutely no lower back pain and it's all thanks to proper form deadlifts.

>aesthetics
Literally who cares?

>y form is perfect. I just have lower back issues that I pushed the limit of

then why act like deadlifting without a belt is inherently dangerous?
Thats just dishonest and wrong.

As appose to you, a DYEL noob who read deadlifts aren't good.

My form is fine

instagram.com/p/BJan8okgI6u

>wanting weak erectors

enjoy throwing out your back picking up a box

this is bait, right?

Ah ok fair enough, I was just telling my story and saying people should be weary.

oh my god
>mfw

pls b joke.

Agreed.

The bar keeps messing up the scab on my knee and it doesn't feel good. :^(

CANCER THREAD

CANCER THREAD

CANCER THREAD

SAGE, REPORT AND HIDE.

SAGE, REPORT AND HIDE.

SAGE, REPORT AND HIDE.

I'm not. I said it's dangerous, which it is, but never discouraged it... Anyone can have issues they're not aware of

Yes heavy lifting not safest hobby to have. You can injury yourself with any lift but if you do them righ....you wont

Gr8 b8 m8

Deadlifting with good form is no more dangerous than any other exercise with good form.

Your message should simply be, "be careful when you workout".

Stigmatising deadlifting for no good reason is half of why people believe the quote in the OP.

OP said "discuss", he wasn't claiming the quote as fact.

This is a good opportunity to dispel myths and misunderstandings about deadlifting for any newbs who may be reading.

Its better than manlet and feel posts at least..

>form is perfect
prove it faggot, 99% of people who say this doesn't have perfect form, there's always tiny shit to nitpick.

>always asked by fellow lifters for form checks as they know I'm a dank meme
i did the same and they all said it was good, but when i recorded myself it looked fucking horrible. don't trust others

>deadlift 4plate for reps
>slip l5 disc on 2nd rep

you realize that when a spine is in a neutral position there's almost no chance of that happening right? do you even anatomy?

>Wear a belt kids
Doesn't protect you, only makes you a bit stronger.

No exercise is 100% necessary to do. Motherfuckers act like this all the time when someone DARES challenge an exercise like the mighty squat or deadlift. Do what you fucking feel like doing on an individual basis. Christ. Deadlifts aid in aesthetics, but they aren't REQUIRED for a nice back. if you don't think the reward is higher than the risk, do something else.

Ok... Be careful when you work out

>i did the same and they all said it was good, but when i recorded myself it looked fucking horrible. don't trust others

This. I am going solo for a while and I'm just going to ask people to 'watch my back' since if I ask for more they're gonna come up with stupid shit. Had a guy give us advice, who had an injury himself... hopeless.

>believes he's literally gonna add 150lbs to his deadlift in a year

He said the END of next year.

That is so easily possible, it makes me sad that you think otherwise.
Either you a bitch or a skele who is afraid to eat.
Or bait?

Why is he struggling with 2 plates?

That's like 475. Likely for amrap in strongman since he's wearing straps.

those are probably 100lb plates

horrible form rofl

but theres nothing wrong with his form

loooking sweet bro

tips on mine?

youtube.com/watch?v=xHoOMQB8twg

Every excersise has a bug chance of injury if you have shit form, I pull 5 plates for a tripple and not a single injury.

This motherfucker is deadlifting 90% just using his back what the fuck

That wasn't me. I'm not able to show my form as recovering from index finger flexor tendon repair surgery

His form is fine m8.

I was under the impression you should be trying to keep your lower back neutral

There is nothing wrong with deadlifts as long as your form is correct. Bet you're an arched back, hitching mutha fucka so go back to the smiths where you won't risk vagina injury you fucking pussy

mfw doc told me deadlifts would be good to get rid of my back pain

implying you can see his lower back

Well you can tell from the way he's leaning forward...

I'm still looking for a comparable exercise to perform a hip hinge with significant weight. Haven't found it yet. Maybe because there isn't. Besides Good Mornings. Which have an even greater risk of injury done at heavier weights.

I'm the guy in the gif, and in too.

My spine is always neutral when deadlifting.
My ass never never moves up faster than my shoulders, which is basically a surefire way to tell if someone is rounding their back or not.

I wasn't using him as an example for bad form

was just telling OP to read that post, because what he said was spot on...

>deadlifting made my lower back pain worse
>deadlifting lessened my lower back pain

It's like Inception brah, you decide what is a dream and what is reality...

And so will you. Thats the point

But what I said was right, people injure themselves because of bad form, it's not some magical occurrence that happens no matter what, doesn't make it any less correct because I'm not lifting as much you fucking sperg lord.

I never said it was impressive, I didn't post it to claim it was good, like I've said, I've only been lifting a few months and was simply stating that I've already seen benefits from that exercise.

Ripping on people who are new to lifting doesn't make you cool.

4 months, started at around 65kg doing 4x5, now doing 5x5 twice a week at 100kg, took about 6 weeks out because I bust my ankle on a run and didn't want to put pressure on it.

You should try re-reading my post where I said by the end of next year, so to clarify, the END of NEXT year.

This thread has attracted a lot of fucking spastics

STOP FUCKING POSTING ON Veeky Forums WHEN YOU ARE SO PATHETICALLY WEAK

COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE ACTUALLY LIFTED FOR A DECENT AMOUNT OF TIME.

nah

>pic related, you

stop fukin cumin to my inter galactic nubian dating board and go lift dicks up while eating squats fagget

Traditional deadlifts are shit and it's the biggest meme in the weightlifting community that anybody interested in looking good needs to do them. Romanian deadlifts are 100% superior for aesthetics purposes due to activating the posterior chain much more effectively, and they're safer. You also don't have as much muscle overlap with squats or CNS burnout so yiu can train with more intensity in places it matters.