Why does the average person have such a lack of interest in history...

Why does the average person have such a lack of interest in history? But then simultaneously enjoy shit like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones? Why is real history so boring to them but fantasy history and warfare isn't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8l73kKd08Mc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gives 'em a thing to talk about at work.

probably because real history is boring

Most people have some level of interest in history.

However, it takes a different type of person to actually care enough to learn of history, and even more of a different type to care enough to learn in detail.

Take Spartacus for example.

A normie, or just a random person in general, might watch a movie, or TV show about him. And then might read a quick summary of it, and that's it.

Someone interest in history might read a wikipedia page, or random online article about him, and maybe a few of the other leaders.

However, someone like the majority of people on Veeky Forums, might would actually study the 3rd Servile War, as well as the factors that contributed to it, and the effect it had on the overall changing in Roman Society.

no one likes game of thrones for the history like aspects, normies love it for the interesting characters and how they play off each other, that was until the show went to shit, and now soyboys and tumblr braphogs love it because of all the contrived "you go gurl!" moments

No imagination. They have to be shown what something is before they like it. They can't envision something they haven't personally witnessed or had demonstrated to them visually and they don't have the attention span to read or look at actual art.

Fucking christ that spacing, kys.

this is true but you're giving most of Veeky Forums too much credit.

History isn't as "pure" as math, physics or philosophy so once you study the major cultural and military events you see a general pattern that you get bored of analyzing. There's not as much intellectual stimulation in studying history.

>normies love it for the interesting characters

>implying the most interesting characters aren't real historical figures

romanticized historical figures are
real historical figures aren't

they arent presented as such in school for the most part, and are just a name plus a handful of facts attached to it

>pattern in history
How much more history do I have to consume to start seeing this?

Unless you're referring to say the aspect that war/collapse/change is inevitable, or something along those lines

Probably more than 5000 pages.

True, I would hate history too if the only exposure I had to it was from public school education.

>Why is real history so boring to them but fantasy history and warfare isn't?
lotr etc isnt interesting directly to them but only because of the status they can obtain by hanging out with people who genuinely know wtf is going on/have that interest in history. its a very fickle game. humans are very fickle. :/

just read Carlyle. History is the record of fulfilled and thwarted destinies of Great Men and Cultures.

They're certainly interesting, the only problem is that most of them died anticlimactically. Also in real life the bad guys win a lot of the time, which kinda puts a dampener on the whole thing.

Yeah, you need to actually read books (good books that is) to in order to learn that these people had actual personalities. Most normies have neither the time nor the desire.

History is only interesting when you've done enough introspection and soul-searching to find the human condition fascinating. History is ultimately about people after all.

is that larry david?

That's a cute picture. Does Larry David enjoy history? I wouldn't have guessed.
>average person
>enjoying lord of the rings

Half of Veeky Forums would just read his wiki. Do you really everyone here actually study history? Most just wan't dank memes about the crusades and Rome to be edgy desu

Because LoTR and GoT is fed to them through popular media and requires no understanding of cause and effects of events beyond what is explicitly shown on screen.

Well he enjoys it enough to feature a Revolutionary War reenactment in his latest season.

youtube.com/watch?v=8l73kKd08Mc

This is rich, coming from a Wikipedia Warrior.

Basically for two reasons:

1) Fiction can take place in worlds that are different than ours, and that's always interesting. Half of why people like GoT or LotR or Harry Potter is because of their universes. Hell, that's why alternative history fiction is a thing.

2) Fiction usually takes the best parts of real people and places and events and removes all the boring parts or moral grey areas. It's filtered reality.

Yeah he has a hard-on for the civil war. The girl is his daughter, he dragged her on a tour of civil war battle sites.

Didn't he find out one of his ancestors was a slave owner and fought for the South? Pretty funny stuff.

>one of the most popular and successful book and film franchises ever
>normal people didn't enjoy it

Yes

some parts of history are interesting and you can hone in on them, however a writer can always take the interesting elements from history and pimp them up into a story like LOTR or GOT and insert fantasy elements

And some people like the motherfuckers from pol will just try to find some shit to keep their retarded discourse ("spartacus was a jew! Lelelelelel")

>Why does the average person have such a lack of interest in history?
t. american

>spartacus was a jew!

wait... really???

all people except rare extremophiles are mostly average, they only seem not to be because you choose to see the things that stick out not the average nature of the rest of the object. lots of people have an interest in history, but thats subjective to my experience - here in the UK its very popular in bookshops and on TV.

>Pol motherfuckers
>Literally 6 anti hitler threads on right now
>People shilling for Marx and Stalin
>Afrocentrist

90% of this board is leftypol shills who use pol as excuse to shill their politics

>Why does the average person have such a lack of interest in history?
This is the most burger post I've read in a while. Every conversation with a stranger where I'm from ends up being about parish history one way or another.

>wikipedia warrior
>has no idea who he's speaking to

Try again?

people on Veeky Forums get ragemongered because they don't like to argue certain things and keep up with raw evidence. pol is unabashed one way or the other. This is like a fest for people pretending to be academics but half the time they can't even keep an argument going to a conclusion

Not everyone cares about warfare and that's the most popular part of history.

>raw evidence
>pol is unabashed one way or the other
>I know everything that you need to know about WW2 and politics
>Those evil nazis are too stupid to ever reach a conclusion, even if they're able to refute every single point I make
>I'm not a leftist shill!
Somebody sure feels guilty...

The reason people don't want /pol/fags on Veeky Forums isn't because people hate /pol/.
I'd say a MASSIVE amount of Veeky Forums posters are also /pol/tards. The reality is they don't want what happened to /pol/ to happen to Veeky Forums.

/pol/ is a hugbox. There is an accepted set of opinions which you can NOT go against lest you be immediately classed as reddit/a lefite/whatever the fuck. It is dominated by faggots who joined during Brexit or Babbies First Election and they want to treat every board like their personal blog.
There's already been attempts to start a brit/his/.

Right now you can argue just about anything on Veeky Forums. If you can make a good enough argument you can unironically say "X is true rome" or "Y was a better military than Z" or basically whatever the fuck you want, and it's interesting.
People discuss things instead of just exchanging buzzwords.
Even in the most shitpost-filled threads on Veeky Forums, there is a degree of historical content which is interesting to read.

You start a memethread on /pol/ and you draw in the same jokes, buzzwords and content that you'd have drawn in 7 months ago.
You do it on Veeky Forums and your thread dies or you get something new.

Boards exist for a reason. Stop blurring the lines between them. You sound like that faggot who unironically acted like a victim because people called him a faggot for wanting Veeky Forums to be /pol/ with dates.

>real history
>is just politics and economics
>pretty much repeats itself all the time

>fiction
>characters are driven by things like passions, emotions and actual ideals
>outcomes aren't extremely predictable
>you don't know the ending already because you don't live in the present of that world

>Human history
>Pattern
This is what STEMfaggots believe

>screeching "JEW!!!!" and "COMMIE!!!!" is refuting points now.

The Marxist speaks!

#Notalleconomichistorians

Well, the whole idea of politically incorrect today, is being rightwing and believing in more traditional values. If you go to /pol/ and expect to make a "neutral" thread were you indirectly shill for a certain kind of person or movement, no wonder you get called out for being some redditfag/leftie or whatever.
Now you could call that unfair and biased but Veeky Forums is not really that much better. Especially those people who go against "wehraboos" are literal fanatics that glorify everything related to america and its not like Veeky Forums doesn't have his typical meme threads about total war games or "what if" threads.
Not too mention that you got a lot of leftists here on Veeky Forums that try to shove in politics anyway, they just pretend to make a "normal history" thread and put some undertones about certain political events. Thereby shilling for whichever movements suit them best and don't even get me started on all the cuckolds threads across every fucking board and I bet on some of them some Veeky Forumsfag is behind them.

>implying it's wrong

>Blindly throws insults, clearly aimed against /pol/ while giving clear signals that you're some sort of leftist.
>Get called out for it, never even mentioned any jews though.
>Get butthurt over the person that called you out for being a commie.

But that's wrong, you faggot. You can have threads about germany, and about nazi Germany, with ease. There will always be "muh wehraboo" posters and you know who they are? Those are the people in brit/pol/ and the people in brit/feel/ and the people in /trump/ and the people in all the other faggy fucking duplicate thread.

The difference is that on Veeky Forums if you don't know your shit you get your shit slapped by someone who does. On /pol/ if you don't know your shit all you need is a few buzzwords and a reasonably well edited picture (or dubs) and bam, you can say whatever you want.

Veeky Forumsfags aren't "behind" anything. This is one of very, very, very few "interest" boards where you can talk about what you're interested in without having to be infinitely self-aware and on 7 layers of irony to not be mobbed out. Political faggots get ignored or left to be retarded on Veeky Forums, it is retards from /pol/ to try to turn everything into some brinkmanship style battle for ideaology when in reality we just want to talk about history you fucking faggots.
Communism happened, the USSR happened, it all happened and is history so of course people find it interesting and for many it's their favourite thing, whether it be for aesthetics or cool stories or whatever the fuck.
Some them probably DO LARP as commies IRL, but who gives a fuck? You can talk about that on /pol/ if you want but all that matters on a history board is the history and if you can't navigate thinly hidden /pol/ baitposts or think everything is an anti-/pol/ conspiracy then you need to get over yourself and realise that you're part of the problem.

>You're part of the problem
You know the way back to red dit right?
Anyway let us pretend you just didn't say that. I honestly see more people against "wehraboos" than actual wehraboos or people that would even call themselves wehraboo.
That and there actually is no difference in terms of discussion wether you're on Veeky Forums or /pol/. But you see /pol/ is simply more direct. You can talk there about crime rates of blacks and how they're all innocent babies, but statistics, experience and general opinion says otherwise. /Pol/tards will post their evidence in form of pictures, they will argue with you and they will make fun of you for pushing your agenda on other people.
I guess with buzzwords you mean something like "we wuz kangz" or something like that. Well its more of a self explanatory fact that blacks were not egyptian, so there simply is no "discussion" in that sense, because you're just wasting everyone's time. You can do that on Veeky Forums and I think this will largely end the same, only that they less do this in a less direct but painfully long way.
You know and I find it especially funny how you blame /pol/ for "invading" and at the same time defending Veeky Forumsfags that apparently would "never think of something of that sort."
Also about simple history, things that simply "happened." Yes they did, but suddenly changing the point from USSR to why communism could still be good today is rather peculiar. That is exactly what I mean with leftists on Veeky Forums simply changing the whole point and suddenly Veeky Forums turns to /lefty pol/ for a few minutes. That and you're anti-/pol/ right now, I see a lot of people going against /pol/ on every board lately. Strangely since Trump got to be president and rightwing parties slowly gaining attention in europe. Not to mention the amount of general censorship in my country and many other leftist countries.

I'm a literal regular /pol/tard and have been for years. I posted there before "cuck" became spammed, I posted there before "kek" became spammed, I posted there before there was a fucking general for every retarded thing under the sun, and most importantly I started posting on Veeky Forums when it appeared.
I saw the people who spammed the following get bullied off the board:
>muh nazis
>muh deadliest warrior
>muh brits
This is because those posters wanted to turn Veeky Forums into something nobody wanted it to be; /int/ or /pol/ with dates, where you can't say anything without being chased off the board.

Look at the latter half of your post. You are turning a discussion about "why faggots from /pol/ shouldn't post with faggots on Veeky Forums unless they keep history in Veeky Forums and politics in /pol/" into "Well as you can see Trump winning is making right-wing parties rise all over the world", what the fuck are you talking about?
How is that relevant?
If someone tries to apply history on Veeky Forums to modern politics, EVERYONE ignores them except for two people:
-The Redditors who post the shit in the first place
-/pol/posters who disregard board culture in favour of every board being an offshoot of /pol/

There is plenty of discussion on Veeky Forums, from art to ages to historical figures to nations to even just neat historical pictures.
The ONLY people who pretend Veeky Forums is some tug of war between lefties and right-wing people are the people who ignore 99% of threads in favour of picking out the ones that are /pol/ tier.

Your weird, smug, self assured manner of posting is hardly different to the "Um, no sweetie" shite you see all over tumblr and facebook. Not every board is the doormat to Veeky Forums that /pol/ is and you need to recognise that giving attention to these fucks that want to make Veeky Forums just /pol/ and /int/ with dates need to fuck off.

Even Normies in Kansas LOVE John Brown
In Wichita alone there's at least 2 breweries that use that depiction of him alone

You're a /pol/ regular but you us reddit spacing, you think /pol/ invades everything yet you should know yourself that /pol/ usually keeps to themselves. You try to defend Veeky Forums at all costs not able to admit that Veeky Forums has his shitty threads and shitty people too. You didn't try to even properly refute my arguments, you're just trying to change the whole point.
My point was not that Trump is winning, my point was that we have a ton of shills on every board right now. Never said anything about Trump being "the best."
Also how do they ignore them, I've seen atleast 5 threads against so called "wehraboos." Where Veeky Forumsfags happily participate. Usually going from which weapon was the best to ideological discussions, to politics. I never said something about a "tug of war" either. I just said there are a whole lot of lefties who can't handle simple truth and who shill their shit on here.
Sure there are other threads that are rather normal and fitting for Veeky Forums but you'd be delusional to think that most of it is just talk about "history." You got a lot of memethreads, you got a lot of politicrelated threads, you got a lot of threads that are meant to create political discussions!
I'm smug and self assured because I just talk of the situation of Veeky Forums and you sperg out simply because you can't realize that its not so perfect as you might believe it to be. Or you might be just another leftist that wants to do some damage control.
That and nobody in /pol/ wants to change Veeky Forums. If anything its outside factors that want to change the general opinion to a more leftist one. Shilling politically correct games on /v/, constantly trying to change /pol/, posting Veeky Forums threads that turn into something political further on... and so on.

>complains about reddit spacing in a post without any reddit spacing

Seriously contemplate drinking bleach.

>/pol/tards ruin another thread
>wonder why people complain about them

>reddit spacing
And just like that you reveal yourself to be one of these extremes retards who think everything is either pro-/pol/ or 100% anti-/pol/.
You realise that when people shit+enter for a new line-some thing people do when typing pretty much anywhere on any website-it often spaces lines apart? The whole "reddit spacing" meme was made by 1 retard and laughed out of the thread in which it was created, before being spammed round again during babbies first election so all the retards ate it up.
You are the single definition of whereby if you can't post on a board without mentioning another board then you're a massive faggot and part of the reason Veeky Forums is so rife with these niggers.
Ignore /pol/posters and /pol/tier threads, the same way on /pol/ non-retards ignore kekposters and /b/ tier threads. It really isn't that hard.

>keeps going
>everyone else is the problem, not me!

The point is not wether its actual reddit spacing or not, the point is that you're a /pol/ regular and "reddit spacing" is usually not accepted in /pol/ and what you did can be seen as reddit spacing. Also why did you stop now so suddenly? Now your post looks like a proper /pol/ post. Strange.
So in another words you lied, you're not a /pol/ regular and seeing as you just pointed out something so minor, not even trying to refute my main point only further proves what I said with leftists and shills.
Further proving to everyone that Veeky Forums does have a problem with shills and further proving that you can't stand your ground wether it be on /pol/ or here on Veeky Forums.
Another leftist blaming everything on "muh /pol/."

no, I am just blaming you retards who are clearly /pol/tards

>IT WAS REDDIT SPACING IN MY MIND!

Partially because an awful lot of academic history is sucking each others' dicks off and talking about how "the history of duelling is the history of masculinity" and the like.

It can be seen as reddit spacing, just look at the rest of the thread. You're the only one using it. So back to red dit with you.

Well I'm a Veeky Forumsfag and a /pol/tard. Wanna fite me?

No, I just wish this debacle was already over

Because they leaned that history isn't interesting or hasn't got something useful to use for day to day life (words that came from the mouth of a theatre class companion).
i miself am going to italy very soon and i am surely going to cry and piss miself regularly due to the huge amount of castles and historical cities to explore, a fullfiled dream i hope.

even then it's really hard to make them really get interested, even if you have a 100 tales about the God "Blessed" Templar Knights, even if you use a templar helmet while you speak.

If only they knew about Jean d' Arc, her history is deserves much more interest that bloody Daenerys gets.

so fucking sad.
i can relate, i can't remember a bloody thing about the hero's of my country, and most people from argentina have the same case, except for extremely important late political figures.

I once picked up a book from a hostel in one of my travels, it was an historical book about the Templars; only read it once and i can theoritize about the modern world ruling and i even learned about modern religious conflicts just because that book tells you about the origins.
The book is Standard of Honor if u interested.

I don't think most average people are. I think most average Americans are, because the average American is pretty ignorant, and because American history is pretty boring.

I think alot of it actually has to do with most modern careers.
Alot of people I know casually interested in history is usually about something they do or can relate too.

I was in the military so I enjoy learning about wars and how they where fought.
Im also an electrician from Detroit so I enjoy learning about industrial history and scientific advances related to industry and how it impacted my hometown.

There are quite a few museums around here that are quite popular, the main one being the Henry Ford museum and his house.
Compared to boring ass European dynastic politics it is way more interesting.

Honestly user, I strike up history conversations all the time in bars. You just have to talk about interesting periods, IE: American history and talk to men about it. College grads in general are less interested in history than Rural and Suburban retards.

You say that like it's a bad thing

Oh you're a child

Thats simply not true. I used to think this but I find normies from all backgrounds typically find SOME point of history interesting to them.

Even if its something very niche or minor, given some time you can find a time period that would interest anyone.

Looks like batshit anti-semites always hated history

>majority of his
like the optimism

You have to be an actual idiot to believe this

American history is not boring you fucking pleb

>no argument
>just petty insult to hide is lack of understanding
>probably enraged because he can't accept the simplicity of historical events
Shut up kiddo

I listened to the history of Rome podcast about it. Where do I place?

Fantasy history is romanticised like Braveheart or LOTR. anyone who watches GOT goes in the oven though

>LotR
>fantasy history

Lolwut?

Add to that the History on Fire episodes about Spartacus and you're good.

Honest opinion, it's because Hollywood producers don't read all that much history, are poorly informed about what little ancient literature they do hear about in their youth and are generally not willing to take the risk of offending anyone's sensibilities.
Honestly I wish they would make more movies about ancient Egypt's Dynastic struggles or just their literature.
Like How the Purely Semitic Hyksos dynasty competed for control with the more or less Egyptian Dynasties and eventually got defeated or the Tragic defence against the Persians second invasion of Egypt.
Or shit
The Muslim Era was filled with cool shit.
The Deals made with the invading Arabs, the accounts of John of Nikyu
The fatimids insurrection against the Abbasuds/ummayads then the rule of the European slaves; the Mamluks
Shit would be bitchin.
But Somebody will be like, "how dare they not be black"
And "whites were never slaves" and "muslims would never do such horrible things"

Shit is gay [Arabic word for mouth]

>namecalling is an argument
Nope. Take your astrology and other pseudoscience back to /pol/.

The simple answer is that our education system has failed us. Every single history teacher I had before college was an uninspired cunt who did not give two shits about the subject matter and failed to present the lessons in an engaging way. Also the curriculum itself is awful.
I hated history until taking my first roman history course in college

>Muslim era filled with cool shit
Read Rodney Stark and then shut up forever with that meme.

>this board should be like this!!!
>dude read the rules and post your politica-
>why do anti-whitr leftists want to make Veeky Forums their safespace?
Go back, subhuman. Your monkey with chaplin moustache lost because he was an inferior being. Go follow your pathetic "leader" and kill yourselves.

What?

Go back to your shithole, subhuman.

I've had some pretty awesome history teachers. My favorite one ended up getting fired for fucking a student at a grad party though kek.

christ, there's not much of you left is there? Soy is a hell of a drug

byzantine politics is the most cutthroat insane shit you'll ever see, easily more intense than game of throne

normies only think its boring because there's no dragons and all the surviving art isn't hyper-realistic beautiful shit

what's the point when you already know how it ends

I remember in school they put a lot of emphasis on dates which put a lot of people off. Some just don't care about politics of dead men, and the most they enjoy out of historical media is the blood and tits.