Be on my 3rd month of hiking the Pacific crest trail

>be on my 3rd month of hiking the Pacific crest trail
>heavy ass pack bc I eat like a fitizen
>go to bed with slight pain/ discomfort in my left hamstring/glute connection.
>it stops me in my tracks only 3 miles in the next morning.
>have to hobble 85 miles to town bc I'm too proud to bail and hitchhike into town.

3 weeks later and I'm still fucked. No sharp pains but there is still a slight discomfort on both hip joints now. I-I'm gonna need a cortisone shot right?

>tfw no insurance

Other urls found in this thread:

rpm-therapy.com/2011/stretching-injured-muscles/
startingstrength.com/articles/back_rehab_ward.pdf.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>ego hiking

never gunna make it senpai

Just keep walking til it goes away

fucking idiot you deserve your injury

Well you walked 85 miles on is (supposedly), so it must not be that bad.

could be tendinitis

It kept deteriorating and my miles dropped from 30 to 7 miles per day. Had to stretch 3 days of food to 5. Can't really run but I can now walk without discomfort.

Yeah m8, I'm a fucking idiot.

wait a couple more weeks. if it has gone away go to a physical therapist or an actual doctor to get it checked out

yes it will cost alot

its worth it in the long run

Im returning to work in 2 weeks and I'm planning on working for 2 weeks then using their insurance. Just keep doing stretches and ibuprofen till then right?

rpm-therapy.com/2011/stretching-injured-muscles/

from what i heard from my therapist, stretching with an injury is not a great idea.

Alright thnx m8, let's see what happens

>heavy ass pack bc I eat like a fitizen

There's your problem. What are you doing hiking with a pack that's too heavy? Do you want to die or something?

Well my base weight was hovering around 11 pounds not including water and food. But I was already really lean when I started my hike and really had no fat reserves. 2 tuna packets per day, 3 cliff bars for snacks, 2 peanut butter loaded bagels for breakfast and either rice, beans, ramen, mashed potatoes, pasta, for lunch and dinner.

Was probably carrying 15-20 pounds of food

This is what I suspect. No sharp pain or anything like that just a general tightness around my groin area

11 lbs is ok-ish, could be better. But you were carrying a lot of water? Water is heavy. No water on that trail I guess?

What about your foot weight? Maybe that was too heavy?

Anyhow, if you are really (really) poor you can sign up for medicaid. Depends on the state. There may also be free clinics near you.

I kept my water carries at a minimum and often went thirsty for a few miles bc of the weight.

I have a thousand bucks left in my savings, I'll look into Obama care

The hip is a big place, OP, and pain comes in many varieties. You haven't told us very much. I recommend against cortisone shots for pretty much anything, though.

So...33 pounds? Maybe 40-45 if you're on a very long dry stretch? I'm not seeing weight being a problem desu. Everybody seems to have forgotten this in the last ten years or so, but lots of guys have carried much more shit than that and done just fine.

Also:
How are your shoes/insoles holding up? They wear out, and new ones may help.
Sleep situation? Your mattress + campsite combination could have been causing some pain.

Doing something dangerous without insurance because you are literally retarded.

What else would you like to know. I hadn't taken a zero day (day where you hike zero miles, usually spent in town) in over 600 miles, plus the heavier than normal pack weight is what did me in I think.

The first few days of the Injury I had a shooting pain that ranged from my left hip down to my knee but never went past it. It started in my left butt cheek then 4 days later it felt like my quad was about to split apart. It band, hamstring, quad, hip flexor all felt extremely tight.

Now it just feels really tight in pic related but I'm sure the same pains would return if I started pushing it

Shooting pain is either impinge nerve by vertebrae or piriformis. Try releasing your pirirformis on a tennis or lacrosse ball.

This is a toxically gay post. Increasing risk aversion will doom the West.

See, this is the kind of detail we need.
Myofascial release is kind of a meme as usually recommended, but it might actually help here. 4" PVC and lacrosse ball to everywhere that's tight, start gentle and gradually add force, or look into a sports massage/IT band release.

Could be a disc injury, in which case startingstrength.com/articles/back_rehab_ward.pdf. But that strikes me as unlikely.

Could also be an SI joint thing, in which case sports massage/PVC/lacrosse ball plus Thompson maneuver (google it) plus squatting and pulling with good form and appropriate weight selection.

Could also be something else altogether, I dunno.

I've had two chiropractor appointments and he said it wasn't that because the shooting pains didn't go down to my foot. He said something is inflamed and need more rest

M8 I had the best time of my life. I realized that I had never felt truly happy until I started walking all day. I made out with a qt German grill, met some bro's, walked 40 miles in one day, slept under the stars in surreal landscapes and pushed my body to its limits. If I had the option of doing it again knowing that I was gonna be crippled aftrewards, I would do it all over again.

Thompson maneuver hit the spot immediately. Ive been rolling out my legs and I might start taking a daily ice bath to reduce inflamation and help with recovery. I've been hitting my upper body for a week now and doing super light machine movements for my lower body.

>Thompson maneuver hit the spot
Assuming that's a good thing, awesome.

If you're worried about inflammation--you mentioned ibuprofen, but you may just need to take more (and then not take any, or drink, for a while.). Anti-inflammatory dose is 800mg 4x/day.

Would also look into shoes, insoles, sleeping pad/campsite selection. Best of luck. I've walked snippets of the PCT here and there, and it covers some beautiful country.

>Anti-inflammatory dose is 800mg 4x/day.
For no more than 5 days. That part is important.

are you stretching your hips and working on mobility every morning/evening?

Thanks guys. Means a lot desu