Is it a good idea to mix up your workout routine every now and then to "shock" your muscles or is that just a meme?

Is it a good idea to mix up your workout routine every now and then to "shock" your muscles or is that just a meme?

It's bullshit.

they get confused but in a bad way. Basically their growth is stunted

Sometimes I convince myself I'm gonna do dips and then I suddenly go for bench press. My muscles are constantly shocked and confused bro, they're like "wtf dude hahaha"

Reminds me of the time I set up 500 pounds on the rack like I was about to squat, then had my bro slip a bench underneath real quick and I pressed it all for reps. My pecs were killing me the next day but I reminded them it was just a prank bro.

>they're like "wtf dude hahaha"
GTFO

if you do only one excercise per body part like most ss fags then yeah, you should add some other similar excercises or replace them short term in order to assist with imbalances and to train stability muscles

if you already do all the useful exercises then i dont see a reason you should switch up your routine, you are not going to get better gains

It's not a meme, variety is the key to unlock god-tier aesthetics.

"Muscle confusion" or "shocking" the muscles is retarded expression though, it's mainly about using a muscle in a different angle

Me: Today im going to do back

My muscles : k man, as always

Me: Jk, im going chest lol

My muscles: Wtf dude lmao xDDd

The idea comes from 8 week progressive load programs. Start small build up to max, repeat and add weight. As opposed to something like 5x3 2 plate every week, add 5 lbs drop a rep or two and then build back up to 5x3 repeat.

Everyone gonna hate me now for what I am about to post:
Brosplit, SS all this shiet is meaningless.
Working out on every muscle twice a week is what's important. Also the sequence in which you do one muscle group's excercises is kinda important (in a lesser extend). It has something to do in the way you hit your muscle.

If your body realises it needs to grow biger/stronger muscles coz you been liftin like crazy you will grow.
There are even people who do the same routine for 6 months and get equal results (something on which im not willing to do coz it might be a meme so i dont wanna risk so much time for nuttin).

As long as you eat in surplus and tryhard in lifting heavy, you grow. No diet planning needed, no extreme super cool super rare work out programmes.

>incomming h8 from Veeky Forums bcz everything successfull people of fitness write is the only reality.

yeah, it works

That's not relevant to "muscle confusion" memes. People who do it do so because they've stalled usually because they hit natty limit. At which point gains are coming glacier slow and what you do get is from shit like cns adaption.

gotta confuse those muscle fibers
most of the time go to the gym I warm up, get under the bar, unrack, quickly rerack and run to the nearest table and try doing my calculus homework

Muscle confusion is a legitimate technique OP don't listen to these fags

In fact, the larger the shock and confusion the more gains you'll make

Set yourself up with a common routine week to week and stick with it for a month and then confuse the hell out of your body by not going to the gym at all, you'll get shredded with ease

the graph always kills me

There is some merit to swapping out for different lifts for the same movement when progress stalls, for example bench and close grip, ohp and push press bla bla. Westside and DC training use the same principle

You're musclulars does have no brain. Isn't that just shocking? It's not like your muscles plan ahead for which exercise you're going to do next based on your usual routine.

>You're musclulars does have no brain.
at first I thought you were insulting me

That's mental confusion, does it make you smarter?

Almost fell for the bait

Unless you are stalling/making no progress i see no reason to do so. Dont try to fix whats not broken.

That's a very old meme. There's a difference between memes, jokes, and bait you know. Honestly though, your Veeky Forums experience greatly improves when you just assume everything is a joke. If you spend any significant amount of time here, the change in mindset makes you a happier person. I smile when people say stupid stuff.

Sometimes I mix up my routine by skipping weeks, even months of workouts. It hasn't helped yet but I expect progress soon.

Not necessarily to shock your muscles, but mixing up your routine to hit your muscles in different ways makes sense. For example, if you always do barbell OHP, occasionally switch to dumbbell OHP for different activation, recruitment patterns, etc.