Are there advantages to lifting over bodyweight work for bulking up?

Are there advantages to lifting over bodyweight work for bulking up?

You won't bulk up much doing bodyweight

With bodyweight exercises, you are just doing the same weight just in different exercises. That's why you won't improve as much in strength, however you will get a lot toner.

That's what I was worried about, should I focus on weights then?

>a lot toner

You should read the fucking sticky

Yes, focus on compound lifts with isolations or bodyweight exercises as accessories.

>Read the fucking sticky

*more toned. Better?

Posted before I saw that reply

thx though

>tone
Nope. "Tone" is just muscle mass and lack of fat. You could do all the bodyweight exercises in the world and if you eat like shit, you won't get "toner."

>unironically uses the word "toned"

With weights it is far easier to progressive overload
>toner
Would a pull up require the same amount of strength as a 1 armed pull up? Veeky Forums is completely clueless about calisthenics. Good thing theres a bodyweight general now, some people can actually learn a thing or two.

Just do bodyweight too. Push ups and pull ups never hurt anybody. Do them before bed or right when you wake up.
Stop being a vagina. You can always do more.

Yeah, I know the real factor in bulking up is what you eat, I'm just wondering about exercises

To a point, what can you lift and what is your current weight? If you just can't, or struggle to lift your own body weight, then you will benefit from BW. You can always add more reps, adjust leverage or in some cases add weight, but you will eventually hit a point where you'll benefit more from weight lifting.

>2006 + 16
>using the word "toned" in a serious context

kys senpai

Not sure I can do pullups well but I can definitely do pushups

>you will eventually hit a point where you'll benefit more from weight lifting
99% of this board will never reach the peak of bodyweight exercises.
Many of you can perhaps reach the full potential for legs(anyone could do in less than a year) but when it comes to the upper body and core none of you are even close so i dont see it as a valid concern.

Well thanks all

It's not so much a concern as it's something to consider, I wholly support incorporating some BW into your routine, even if it's just doing dips, chinups or just working your core.

Wouldn't you peak at some point though, where the available exercises are just too easy?Although that's years and years off for me.

Not that guy but before I even started lifting, I had done a set of 70+ bodyweight pushups. Pullups may be a different story, but pushups are easy and should be replaced quickly with free weights.

Yeah, but that's not something to worry yourself with now, for now focus on the gains that you're closer to making.

>but before I even started lifting, I had done a set of 70+ bodyweight pushups

What's your bodyweight and how did 70+ pushups translate into bench?

>I can do x many reps i must ne at the top
How many dips can you do? How many archer dips can you do? Can you hold an iron cross? What about full ROM handstamd push ups?
Doing 70 bodyweight push ups does not put your pressing even close to peak of bodyweight training. You just have a lot of endurance now.

There's progressions of harder pushups, though

Not him but i strictly do calisthenics now. I dont do many push ups but i do other pressing work.
Last time i tested my bench was 225 lbs when i weighed 165 a couple months ago. Maybe more now since i weigh 170 and have gotten a bit stronger.

There is no "bulking up" with bodyweight.

wow you are completely clueless

Bulking up is just eating at a surplus. You could bulk up sitting on your ass all day.

I weighed like 130lbs when I did that set. I went to the gym for the first time a couple years later at 155lbs and could barely bench 155lbs as a 1RM. I'm was 177lbs and my last bench 1RM was 205lbs, which is obviously still shit and I need to eat more.

Never said I was at the top. Pushups and situps were really the only bodyweight exercises I did at the time. All I know is I've made a hell of a lot more progress from bench pressing than I did from pushups.

meant to say "I was 177lbs this morning."

With lifting you can add weight as well as target more the muscles with the various exercises.

But if bodyweight exercises offer you some challenge, why not try both?

Would you blame the bench press if you did 65lbs and did not add weight for weeks? It was your own fault for not progressing into harder variations/exercises.

Oh well. Was just interested into seeing how your push-ups translated into bench.

I weigh 148 lbs and can bench 187 as 1RM but I can't even do 30 push-ups.

You know you can progress bodyweight exercises by gaining weight right?

>tfw 230lbs
>210 1RM
>can do 30 pushups
>15+ with 30lbs

tone is such a fucking buzzword yet it really has no fucking meaning to it

Not that guy but upper body is also not that hard. Anything core related is fkin insane though.

>being 6 years in the future
>still posting on Veeky Forums

future user... I always hoped that one day you'd be successful, be with a 7.5/10qt3.14159...
That you'd have made it.
And that you'd never return to this place.

You never made it, did you?
6 years in the future here you are, still posting on Veeky Forums, still can't do your fucking arithmetic.

I dont know why this gave me a hearty kek.

You guys cleary dont know how to body weight fitness.

You dont just do endless push ups you move to harder variations. When you can full planche let me know.

Depends.

If you are a big guy (muscle or fat), bodyweight will build muscle, but take forever to develope.

If you are a small guy, bodyweight is a joke and will just keep you skinny.

>however you will get a lot toner.

can you explain the logic behind this?

>2006 + 16
WHAT YEAR IS IT

Legs are all that fucking matter tho my dude

I would disagree.
I think a balanced physique is the best, which is why calisthenics needs to be supplemented with weights for lower body stimulation.

Not if you eat to bulk.

Have we forgotten diet is mostly everything?

>perfect reaction image for specific comment

You sir are an oldfag.

are you retarded??

Yes.

Retard

Tone and Chad should units of measurement. Yep just hit my pr, benched 4 chads.