"The upright row is perhaps the most unfortunate exercise ever invented, for several reasons." - Mark Rippetoe

>"The upright row is perhaps the most unfortunate exercise ever invented, for several reasons." - Mark Rippetoe

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBRaises.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It puts your shoulders in a horrible impinging position.

Maybe that people use it instead of pullups, which are more manly and effective?
Hell if i know.

people blame almost every single lift for doing that though

nigga this isn't a muscle up. He's lifting the barbell, not his body.

>mfw i just did upright rows yesterday

How do people avoid pain doing this exercise? It's the textbook shoulder impingement position except with a much greater weight. I've never done it personally but it just looks like suicide.

Shoulder impingement: the exercise

Literally the correct form impinges your shoulders and you could do a lot more with different exercises

I literally puts your shoulders in the position doctors use to test shoulder impingement.

Would doing overhand face pulls do this too? People say it make your shoulders healthier because it works rear delts, but I have pain after I do it

exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBRaises.html

What do you anons think of this as a replacement? Can't find anything about it online.

Snatch grip high pull ftmfw

No, the force is away and horizontal from the body, upright rows are vertical and towards the ground. Different direction of force and thus affects the shoulder differently.

> muh shoulder impingement
> muh dont do behind the neck presses
> muh dont do dumbbell flyes
> muh dont do dips
Feels fucking good being actually functional male and not someone with fucking invalid tier body impingement
Blasting uptight rows after shoulder workout its probably one of the best work finishing feels

People basically only blame the bench press and the upright row for that. In both cases its true, at least for the usual form.

You can adapt both lifts to avoid it or at least minimise it (in the case of the upright row, that's typically done by widening your grip and shortening the pull so that your arms don't come above parallel) but the gymbro form is a shoulder fuckup waiting to happen.

>Would doing overhand face pulls do this too
In my experience, yes. Same reason you don't bench with your elbows straight out to your sides.

shameless bump for answer

Id just row, chin, deadlift, press overhead, maybe do some shrugs or high pulls or cleans/snatches.

dips and fly's can be preformed safely, the other two however cause damage to your bursa whether you think it is or not. have fun being 60 pretending you dont have a fucked up shoulder in fornt of your doctor

Eh. Shoulders have a lot of variability, and the worry is not the bursa so much as the tendons of the rotator cuff getting chewed up by the acetabulum.

I wouldn't advise it, of course, but smug certainty isn't a good look on anyone.

What can I replace this with?

Squats

>acetabulum

That it's amazing for muscle development, but will fuck your shit up in the long run.

Shrugs / face pulls for traps.
OHP / lat raises for delts.

Kek

true for fly's, but not for dips.

I did this shit freshman of high school and it fucked my shoulders up for a long time

Been doing it since I started lifting, Not that bad of an excercise desu. Still doesn't beat OHP.