Bodybuilding vs. powerlifting

I cannot decide in which direction I would like to go. Powerlifting training is way more fun and suits my strengths, whereas I will never be a good bodybuilder (thx genetics) but I do care about my aesthetics. Since I do not build muscles easily, going powerlifting mode would probably make me look alot smaller.

what do?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/a0tlbo2wt3gbgjt/Push_Pull_Legs Split.docx?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tell me more.

Not that guy but see Stan Efferding.

Lift your compounds heavy and your accessory work in high volume.

Eat enough to grow.

Roids.

damn you're clearly very new
how about you try actually fucking lifting?
"powerlifting" doesn't make you fat and "bodybuilding" doesn't make you look good
i use parentheses because i doubt youll ever compete in either

implying you can't have both

natty bodybuilding is a joke, and powerlifting is just asking for joint issues later on in life.

Do the smarter thing, get involved in a sport, and work on overall athleticism.

well I have been training around 6 years with a 140kg bench, 200kg deadlift without regulary deadlifting and bad squats due to patella issues (120kg 5*5).

Sure, it is possible to do both, but only up to a certain level (powerlifting=training lifts, bodybuilding=training muscles). My assistance volume is way too high to progress as efficient as possible in the mainlifts and focusing on powerlifting alone would drop my volume so much, that aesthetics would suffer.

>well I have been training around 6 years with a 140kg bench
what the fuck

bad grammar or bad stats?

bad stats

well I know 140 @ 78kg is not the best, but also not the worst. as I said, I do not have good genetics.

also a good thought, but I just love weight training too much to give it up.

>PPL
>Push
1x5 heavy ass BP
Whatever other high volume shit you want in the 3-5x8-12 range: ohp, dips, cgbp, incline dbbp, lat raises, rope pushdowns etc
>Pull
Chunups, rows, biceps etc, high reps, same logic as above
>Legs
1x3-5 heavy ass skwatz
1x3-5 heavy ass diddlies
Leg press, GHR, calf work etc for high reps

Congratulations, you are now doing both PL and BB

there is no periodization. way too little volume for the mainlifts. also not periodizing volume/intensity over a mesocycle.

that split may work for beginners up to a certain level.

The sloot on the left overhead presses, the sloot on the right military presses. Is one really better than the other?

Probably.

Add 5x5 @80% bench as accessory, same with squats and diddlies on their respective days each. Alternate PR attempt on squat/diddly each PPL cycle (so one PR each per wk). Same with bench but once per 2 weeks.
Congrats you are doing TM now.

I think the benefits of bodybuilding are better in the long run. Let's face it there are very few things that powerlifter would have an advantage in over a bodybuilder.

for 6 years it's a joke mate, you genetic dead end

dont listen this retard, 3 plate bench is pretty much the natty limit if you are not in to powerlifting.

>what do?
Lift

This desu. That's pretty good for your bw.

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

holy shit I havent been back to this shithole since 2015, and the first thread I see I am reminded why I left.
Jesus christ the level of retardation in this place is astounding. Its all people who have been lifting for 3 weeks and then hear and parrot the same bullshit that after 4 months on SS you will have a 100 kilo bench and a 3 pl8 squat, and if you dont your a genetic failure.

Listen here you fucking shit, after about 2 years of natty lifting you plateau harder then you could possibly fucking believe. A 140kg bench at 78kg is fucking astounding for a natty lifter. Also the difference between 3 years of natty lifting and 10 years is fucking negligible.

Fuckheads like you are why I hate this place

HITLER DUBS CONFIRM

best post a newfag could see

>A 140kg bench at 78kg is fucking astounding for a natty lifter.
this

Just pick one. If you stay in the game long enough, you'll end up doing it all because no one routine should be done forever.

Eventually you're gonna need more mass to get stronger or get stronger to put on more mass. You're gonna need more fast twitch muscle recruitment to get your next diddly PR goal off the fucking ground so you train some oly. You'll need some compounds to systemically wake up all the shit you've been isolating. At one point you're gonna have to slow down on your strength work for the sake of your joints so you switch into a metabolic conditioning routine for a month as a giant deloading period. Later you jump into Smolov or some insane Christian Thibaudeau undulating periodization shit which has you switching shit up every month for year.

tl;dr Just fuckin pick something you like man.

>everyone bigger and stronger than me is on roids

I know it's not what you're saying in your post but I know this is you.

For a natural, going after either one as if they were the end all be all and only way is stupid bullshit shilled by retards who are selling you something.

You can't get built without lifting heavy and you don't need to only lift heavy to get strong.

The old time strongmen, the ones who didn't have the type of drugs that the current strength athletes and body sculpters have new this.

There are no two different paths with iron.
There is only one.
The only people who believe otherwise are the weak and brainwashed.

BUH BUH THIS GUY WHOS ON SO MUCH GEAR HIS DICK DOESNT WORK ANYMORE AND HIS HEART HAS ENLARGED TO THREE TIMES HIS SIZE SAYS THAT

No, gear changes the game, you can workout as a powerlifter or bodybuilder and get gains that show on their bodys with ease.
A natural can not do that. They can not simply do ONE KIND OF EXERCISE and get anywhere with their body.

That is not how it works when it comes to muscle mass and strength. Never was.

>(thx genetics)
Wah. Why don't you ditch the bad genetics approach and try to develop yourself mentally, first? You can begin by trying to envision yourself with thicker skin. You'll need it to be a successful bodybuilder OR powerlifter.

>Natty bodybuilding is a joke
Yeah, no bodybuilder in history ever achieved anything without juicing himself to death. Oh wait, Eugen Sandow? Nobody takes that guy seriously. He did nothing for the sport.

You're probably 15 years old and have gone from the bar to 90 pounds in the past 2 weeks and think that progress will continue until 4 pl8 or some shit
fucking end yourself

Well then apparently I'm fucking astounding for a natty lifter considering I can bench 140kg at 80kg

>going powerlifting mode would probably make me look alot smaller

what do you mean by this? Powerlifting mode is eating at a surplus, lifting heavy and resting often. There is no way you will get smaller while doing these things unless you are an oldfag

>please ignore the fact that powerlifting has one of the lowest injury rates of any sport, far lower than popular sports like tennis and football

Of course it has no injuries. They have thirty different spotters, every single type of fucking cheating apparatus/joint protector and only move 3 fucking inches in any one lift.

The injuries they have to deal with come from training and the wear and tear on their body.

kek, are you seriously implying that other sports don't also cause equal or greater wear and tear on the body?

nope, there are plenty of natty guys bigger and stronger then me, a result of better genetics and more consistent dedication to training and nutrition.

but your delusional if you dont think most of the guys who you look at and think "DAMN I want to look like HIM" are natty

>I cannot decide in which direction I would like to go.

If you're natural, then the optimal way to train will combine aspects of both "disciplines".

As a natural, you will HAVE to lift heavy to get big. And you will HAVE to do some BB'ing to grow smaller, stubborn muscles that aren't addressed as well by the big 3/4.

If you're willing to roid your ass off, then you can really specialize in one or the other, if you were so inclined.

Dude, every bodybuilder nowadays is a powerbuilder. Train both.

>le I'm too good to be on Veeky Forums
>oh let me remind you I don't come here anymore
shoulda stayed go, fag

im not too good for Veeky Forums. I was here consistently from 2011-2015. My problem and part of the reason I left is because Im stuck discussing my hobby with people who have been lifting 2 months and now think there experts on fitness and nutrition. They parrot everything they hear and have absurd expectations on what can be achieved and how quickly

Nigger do you seriously not know what parentheses are?

dropbox.com/s/a0tlbo2wt3gbgjt/Push_Pull_Legs Split.docx?dl=0

"powerbuilding" is the new trend on social media, look up programs like PHAT/PHUL that combine heavy compounds with bodybuilding isolation.