Hello Veeky Forums, when you go to the gym...

Hello Veeky Forums, when you go to the gym, HONESTLY do you care at all how much people lift if they are doing the correct form at least? I want to start hitting the gym again but I'm super self conscious. I'm pretty weak and I know a lot of high school kids go around the same time I can and they lift A LOT more than me. I know I sound like a beta fag but has anyone ever been in the same situation as me and made it?

As long as you aim to improve your technique, I don't see a problem

Yeah I feel you, It's just pretty embarassing to be a senior in college and benching only 35's while a junior in high school is benching 200+ next to me

The people that care are the people that have been lifting for 3 months to 2 years. They think they're hot shits and look at other people's lift and like to think ''Hehe, he might be bigger than me, but I can lift way more than him ;)''

Eventually you stop caring, especially considering how most people use shit form to lift more

I was worried too, until I started to notice loads of people doing the stupidest shit and not having any forms, then I was like meh fuck it

I guess in the end only the retards and ego lifters really care about what others, including you, lift.
I hope even if your as self concious as you make it seem, you could discard the opinions of those!?

The only times I catch myself caring about others weights is if they're roided up freaks lifting less than a natty with shit form

My gym is the GOAT and there are about six benches but if you go to a gym with limited equipment don't take my bench and lift 10lbs.

Proper form is way more important. I'm not a weak guy myself but i find myself laughing at guys out loud who are doing quarter squats with 3pl8s thinking they're hot shit

/thread

Dude shut up. Noone is paying attention to you, and the guys that are are faggots anyways. Get out there and fucking lift or else you're always gonna be doing 35s anyways

No and i dont think anyone else in my cares either.

well, thell look at you(if they are regulars) and watch you, especially if they are regulars. but thats not a problem, they see your weak weights think either evrybody starts somewhere or "how can a human being be so weak". if its the latter, just keep on lifting and proof them youre not an inhuman being., im sorry but they will judge you silently bcuz evrybody is unconscious about his weights, no matter how strong they are

Yeah, because it's your bench, right?

you need to start somewhere.
stop being a beta bitch and start improving yourself.

I don't care about people lifting low or medium weight because there's so many of them, but if someone starts loading up something a bit heavy I look to check their form.
It's nice to have someone else who also takes it seriously in the gym.

How are you ever going to lift enough so you don't feel embarrassed if you don't even start? You're not going to miraculously lift more at any time in the future if you don't put in the work, so what's the point of postponing? You want to spare yourself the "embarrassment" today, but you're gonna feel the same way about it tomorrow, in a month, in a year. What you're experiencing is an overreaction and quite frankly, you aren't as important to others as you think you are.

Also, read this and keep it in mind:

The spotlight effect is the phenomenon in which people tend to believe they are noticed more than they really are. Being that one is constantly in the center of one's own world, an accurate evaluation of how much one is noticed by others has shown to be uncommon.

When I see people in the gym who lift less than I do, I don't judge them for being weak. It just makes me feel good because I know I'm progressing.

When I see people who lift heavier than me, it just inspires me to want to lift more so I can be like them one day.

Don't worry about it OP, you're gonna need to train to get stronger. I won't have time to judge you, I'll be doing my lifts because I won't get any bigger or stronger if anyone else does them, and it's much the same for everyone else in the gym. Besides, I think you'll find that there are lots of people in gyms putting up the same, or even less, weight than you without being ashamed of it, and the ones that are ashamed of it you obviously won't see because they're too busy sitting at home and being sadcunts about it instead of going out and doing something about it. And you don't want to be a sadcunt, you wanna be a right sick fucking kunt and you can be a fuckin sickunt if you wanna be mate.

>HONESTLY do you care at all how much people lift if they are doing the correct form at least?

nobody gives a fuck.

only thing that I cringe is kids trying to lift more than they can with improper form or momentum and people for which I know they can do more but are to scared, inexperienced, read something in womens health magazine, and continue to train with babyweights and high volume for more than a month.

Going to the gym isn't like signing up for a bodybuilder contest where people actually LOOK at you. Stop worrying, everyone's there to better themselves.

At what point can you actually give someone form advice without being a dick? (inb4 never)
I don't mean 'improvable' form but 'snap your shit up bad' form, for example that one 16 yo guy in my gym doing deadlifts with a completely rounded back, squats that can't even be described. But I would feel stupid criticizing his form when there are people way fitter than me who won't say shit.

bad form is more embarrasing than low weight

I always laugh when i see someone 1/4 squatting or doing half rep pull ups or whatever, even if it's heavier than what I do

I squat 2,5pl8 with proper depth and food form but I use a belt and knee sleeves.

Call the cops and lock me up.

They could be squatting only the bar for I care. If they're hitting depth, staying on their midfoot and keeping a tight and neutral spine I say good for them. That's better than most people anyway.

The only time I care about people's form is when they cat back deadlifts, bounce or have their ass off the bench, or squat high.

The gym I train at is a bit different but I share a platform with guys who out snatch my best c&j quite comprehensively at a lower bw, everyone starts somewhere and only an asshole wouldn't realise that, and if they're an asshole their opinion isn't worth anything anyway

Most people are there to work out. If they're serious they're in the zone and they don't care what you're doing.

Honestly don't give a fuck about anyone in the gym. I don't care what they are doing and how thyey're doing.
Maybe i'll correct some noob's form if it's terrible, but that's it

the only time i care if someone is about to get pinned under a bar
happened 3 or 4 times in the last year, people just don't know their limits so they put too much weight on the barbell

Thanks Veeky Forums for the replies. I know these types of threads are annoying but reading your replies really motivated me to just be based and work on myself, really appreciated!

Can't inb4 the truth. Unless you're with the person or are some sort of local lifting celebrity there is never a good way to just roll up to someone and give them form pointers. Maybe if they bombed a lift and you helped them out of it.

As long as their technique is OK, and they put their weights back in the right place once they're finished, I have no problem. I have great respect for those who are improving themselves, fatty or skelly.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'd just feel bad seeing him do a brosplit in a wheelchair...

I would rather see you lift with proper form, weight you can handle, and constant progression for your noobgains.

It's annoying seeing someone claim that they almost squat as much as me despite their "squats" being weighted knee bends with a partial goodmorning.

Having good form is good of course. You need that and be able to lift 1/2/3/4 or I will laugh at you with my gym bro.

even if they do watch you, they forget about it in liek 20 min so no problem.

If you're being totaly honest and your goal is mass, strength, or pretty much anything other than just health then you're ideal workout is just adding more weight because that's the most effective way to damage muscle (you then repair out with nutrition and recovery).

Of course if you're new you have to learn forum but I see people who go to the gym and lift low weights high reps - for most people this is pointless. These "rep burnouts" don't build muscle they just fatigue your muscles.

If i'm being honest, I basically only judge people who do heavy weight with shit form. If people do light weight with shit form, I'll either go up and ask if they'd mind a suggestion (if they look new/I don't recognize them, small gym) or ignore them. It makes me happy seeing light weight/good form and I get a little jelly of heavy weight/good form.

I don't personally give a shit. In the end only rate of improvement matters. If you develop faster than everybody else, it doesn't matter at all how much they lift now...

Just hit it, it'll be best thing you've ever done.

I joined a weightlifting club instead of a gym. No one has ever judged me for anything and when I do something wrong people are more than happy to help. I've had groups of 3-4 people standing around me helping me get my form right. It's like having a room full of free PTs, and they're all crowded on the lifting platforms so no one gives a fuck if I lean on the rack and shitpost between sets.

Most people don't even have good enough shoulder mobility to do wall slides or raise their arms above and behind their heads

they're literally broken people

I recently joined a gym and just went tonight.
I was on the rowing machine and felt like a total choob.
I watched video on youtube about how to do it but was still fucking it up. but realised that I was and tried to do it correctly.
It will take some time to get proper form and what not so wasn't too hard on myself.

This was also my first time going to the gym alone without my friends.

I did some dumbbell incline press 16kg 3x8
bench press 50kg 3x8 (I can bench 60kg but had no spotter so didn't want to kill myself)
and then the ones where you (pic related) 16kg 3x8

there was some other people doing bench press and I thought they must be like, look at this faggit. what he doing.
so I just had my music playing and tried to focus on my form and not give a fuck because we trying to be a gains lord.

The only people I cringe and or judge are the people doing retarded shit like cat back deadlifts because it's too much weight or 1 lmaopl8 yates rows in the squat rack with a belt and screaming.

They use trips.

go at 4-7am, literally 1-10 people

I went at 4am, only two dudes in there at the time, one on a treadmill, one in the squat rack.

by the time I left at 5am, the early bird females started to make an appearance.

As long as you look like you know what you're doing (not walking around aimlessly without a plan) no one gives a fuck. Don't be that guy who just keeps looking at everyone else while you finish your set of 15 curls. Focus on your own shit and you will be fine.

Mostly don't pay attention to other people's workout. I DO however judge when you seem like a big guy but grunt heavily at a 60kg deadlift. Furthermore, when people who seem fit squat low you know it's because of an injury most of the time.

Every time I see someone lifting lightweight it just reminds me of where I started and how far I still need to go.

Everybody starts somewhere and we're all gonna make it brah

personally, the only people i look at the gym are the chicks

i would only look at you if you are doing something really impressive

Don't worry. People sometimes look/stare whatever weight you're doing. Had it as a beginner, still have it with higher weights. Motion attracts attention, some people just stare into oblivion and others just look because they're bored. No-one really cares about your fight.

Except that bad-advice-giving middle-aged short-dyed-hair "I want to talk to your manager" woman who I saw counting my deadlift real obvious.