Martial Arts General
/mag/

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>FAQ (in development), MUST READ:
pastebin.com/LXHvWCZY

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
More to come

Other urls found in this thread:

mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/#bullshido
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Friendly reminder that once you learn how to punch there is no 'magical technique' to make it better and you're better off throwing harder, faster punches by becoming stronger through weight training.

Good core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else for punching.

Retard

Is it okay if I treat rolling in BJJ like a game? Im still just beginning and when we spar for the last 15 minutes of a class I just treat it like im playing around with my brother and cant help but laugh and enjoy it. I dont even restrain to hard, I just tap when I think I cant get out of a lock without aggression, and really just treat it as a way to figure out what positions I can take advantage of.

Also, any tips for starting out? Forbidden holds/chokes/grabs?

I really fucking love it and am really impatient because I only do 3 classes a week because I want to lift the other 3 days.

>literally a one arm cg bench in the air
>core is most important bro

Are those tekken characters?

Is this ?

A proper punch uses all the muscles from your toes to your first

That's a lot better than the retard rage that most white belts use when they're starting out. As long as you're learning I guess it's ok, but make sure you're not just fucking around the whole time.

Have you been to that shithole lately?

>Not going to class because you want to light
You can do both and should. You're only hindering yourself, retard.

Anyone here been to the Antwerpen Boxing Academy? I'm gonna start training there in September, any experiences?

I recently had to stop going to my boxing gym after only a month of training or so. I couldn't afford the 80/month cost as a college student and I felt like I was getting ripped off. The other day training only went for 45 minutes instead of the hour I'd expect. Other martial arts classes in my area cost even more.

Any suggestions for a poor college student like me?

How the fuck do I kick higher? Tried everything to no avail.... Can front kick just about head height but my side kicks are around waist level

Any user that trains Muay thai here? Im starting tomorrow and I'd really appreciate some tips

Thing is people warn me all the time about people not wanting to roll with you if you go too hard/retarded/aggressive. Its hard to strike a balance.

Frenchman who competes in savate here
why do so many americans seem to love savate?

distance and momentum

unless you go to a gym filled with assholes everything will be fine. Focus on your footwork while the teacher tells you how to do things properly

>he punches with his arm and not his hips

LOL how embarrassing

bump

That has nothing to do with the frequency you attend class due to weight lifting.

Read it again.

Friend of mine that used to teach youths gymnastics recommended raising one hand in the air in front of you, Nazi style, and kicking up as high as you can. Do it 10 times, switch legs, repeat. It'll help build your flexibility in your legs and thus help you kick higher.

Idk what "because you light" means nigga.

Sorry. Meant "lift"
You should be training 4-5 times a week. If anything, you should do less cardio because of it. But keep lifting 3 times a week on top of going to bjj at least 4 times a week.
You'll thank yourself later.

I know man id love to now that you mention it but i need to be able to pay for more classes. Will definitely consider it. When i get my second belt in planning to do 3 Bjj and 3 mma classes a week. Hows that sound?

Has anyone ever used Okami shinguards before? Are they any good?

Pay for more classes?
I pay a monthly fee with Gracie Barra. I could show up once a month or 7 days a week.
Is that not how it works for you?

I start boxing tomorrow, wish me luck lads.

Also some tips are welcome

Why does people hate leglocks??

No. My monthly fee is for 3 classes a week.
I have to pay for more classes. Thats my issue currently.

>I just treat it like im playing around with my brother and cant help but laugh and enjoy it
uh...thats completely normal.

i mean i guess some people spar super serious all the time but i personally like to play around especially if its with someone much better or worse than me

Punch good

cheap kickboxing and or sambo in Seattle? Plz halp

Not enough space for a punching bag in my apartment. Can i just get one of those training pads and tape it to the wall and punch that?

Seaside Sambo I think is the name of the Sambo academy in Seattle and it's pretty good. There's also a really, really good Judo school in Seattle.

>How the fuck do I kick higher?

Dynamic stretches. Front leg raises, side leg raises, behind leg raises.

You should have a decent static stretching routine as well.

> tfw no friends

> tfw no one to spar with

if you want to damage the wall

Hip mobility exercises, a lot of dynamic stretching before your sessions and some pretty intense static stretching after. No secret to it, you've just got to open up the hips and loosen out the legs/lower back

>are they any good
There's a WOLF on them!
They're fucking SIIIIIIICK!

Pretty obvious who's never boxed for any length of time. I'd love to see the look on your opponents faces when they realise you can't punch for shit

Prepare to find out you're not as fit/flexible as you thought you were. Enjoy it though, it's a great martial art. Warm up properly and listen to the kru

Warm up properly, listen to the coach and don't be discouraged if you're uncoordinated. Everyone was in the beginning

I found an aikido gym that does sparring

Is it worth trying? I'm also learning greco-roman wrestling but would like to try a TMA just for the cultural aspect of it.

>Cult-like atmosphere
>implying that's necessarily a bad thing

Tks bro. need sparring bros to train with on off days

sorry m8, /asp/ is in the shitter right now, please let us stay for a while

Thinking of joining a Gracie gym. Are they worth it or are they one giant meme?

Not him but my instructor only ever told us to do saddle splits. Anything else I should add in?

Do you like grappling? If yes then do it. If not then find something else.

Any MT anons ever had a shin fracture? I'm not sure if my shin is more fucked up than normal. It feels like a watered down version of what your stomach feels like 5 minutes after getting hit in the nuts.

Yup, concept art from some vale todo character. I'm not well versed on the tekken franchise, but I think the drawing was kind of neat.

Look up "yoga for hips" on YouTube, and add some of those positions to your warm up routine.

when rolling, attempting to use leglocks on experienced, veteran fighters makes them wig out. Just grab an ankle or try and pull a foot into your armpit. They wig out every time.

It's scary. It's a lot easier to injur a ligament with a leg lock than an arm bar. You don't even have to do it right to cause damage, there's a degree of freedom to that sort of pin that can allow for injury even without completely proper execution.

Go find a BJJ school near you. You'll meet good people there.

Any capoeiristas on /feet/? What do you think about it? I've been doing it for 4 years now.

You should add FightSmartTrav to the YouTube videos. He knows his shit and is practical.

I've been training muay thai for a few years at an MMA gym and got coaxed into a wrestlin class tonight. I got paired up with some equally-sized heavy dudes, we did a 10 minute warmup, a 10 minute takedown-off-the-wall drill that I couldn't follow, and then I got piledrived onto my head over and over for 40 minutes. Fuck me my neck hurts. I hope I will be able to walk tomorrow.

i liked his head movement on the streets video

>mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/#bullshido
>They take a real martial art like Tae Kwon Do, water it down so that anyone and everyone can get a black belt quickly, and without ever having to get hurt, and they make it a McDojo.
>Real martial art like Tae Kwon Do
>Tae Kwon Do
>Real martial art

Sparring day. Wish me luck famm

Eh, don't see why it ain't a real martial art ? I mean, what should be a martial art in your opinion ? Really curious here.

It the bitch version of alot of shit hence why no one in any mma thing uses it