Why is it that almost nobody does chinups/pullups at the gym?

Why is it that almost nobody does chinups/pullups at the gym?

It's a really important exercise yet, only 15% of people seem to do it seriously.

I can do at home.

Not to mention rows are better.

>lose fat
>pull-up skyrockets despite getting objectively weaker
>gain muscle mass
>pull-up drops despite getting objectively stronger

fuck bw exercises

Because the normal gym goer can't pull himself up.
Pullups are hard to do.

i dont understand

Same reason no one does deadlifts and squats.

It's "dangerous" and "hard" and it won't "get girls"

Cause half the fucking time people who try them don't even bother to do half the ROM. Then the other half who try realize there's a pull down machine and think it's the same thing.

wait until you're strong and make a cut, you'll get weaker in all your lifts besides pull-ups.

It is the same movement. There's no real reason to do pull-ups instead of lat pulldowns other than for fun, ego, or equipment availability.

Normal people have bars at home so they don't waste time doing them at the gym

gotcha

>Pullups are hard to do.

Really? I do 10 as a warm-up and on my "A" days, I do 4x10 pulls and 3x10 chins.

>He's too weak to do even basic bodyweight exercises

I bet you can't even do a handstand

>It's "dangerous" and "hard" and it won't "get girls"
Hard, maybe at the beginning.

But dangerous, wtf?

They are hard to do [for the average gym goer].
Also, you're probably skinny.

because when you cut you're weaker but also lighter, so it compensates

> nobody does chinups/pullups at the gym?

The average gym goer/ lifter does not see the virtue in basic calisthenics.

Lifting, for the casual person is about their ego. If you challenge the average gym goer to these techniques, I would not be surprised if they couldn't do more than 5 push ups with bad form.

It also takes a lot longer to progress when doing calisthenics so people tend to just default to lifting barbells.

I also have not been to a gym in over a year, so even if these people could do chin ups why would they do them at the gym when they could do them at home, right?

He's a pussy.

>hurr you don't like them so you can't do them

could do 16 pull-ups, bulked, could barely do 12 despite being much stronger, injured myself and lost weight, suddenly could bust 18+ reps despite being much weaker. It's retarded, not an objective way to measure how strong one is.

I'm new recently did 5kg 2x 5 1x5+ but my right side dominate left side after couple of reps how i can fix this shit?

Try to add 2 or 3 one armed pull-ups with your left (unweighted) for a few weeks. Might balance it out.

actually tryed that several times but cannot do 1 rep with left :(
My shoulder fucking hurt and dont want to try it anymore

Alright, how about a few DB curls, left only? 3 x5tF?

just did 3 reps with 40kg ask me anything

Bc any manlet that slips off the bar would plummet to his death

Hello, Scooby

tok kek

That happened at my gym, poor little guy screamed all the way down. Blood-curdling 3 seconds, it was.

holy fucking shit I'm dying

I read somewhere that when your entire body moves through space it's beneficial. It was a science mag, not bodyweight bro sci. In terms of building muscle the benefit is probably trivial if not completely unmeasurable.

If you can do more than 10 pulls or chins it's time to start working on one handed ones.

>tfw lightweight babbeh grill
>tfw can't do a single pull/chin up

I desperately want to, so I'm using the assisted pull up machine at gym until I can. A-am I going to make it brahs?

Ive been doing canditos 6 week routine and its pretty structured. it has the option to do lat pulldown or weighted chins/pulls. I cant do up to 12 reps with weights so ive just been sticking to the lat pulldown. I miss pullups but it seems kinda pointless to do both of those exercises and i dont want to fuck with the program too badly.

my gf doesn't work out at all, and she can easily do 2 at 65 kg.

do them weighted. By weighted I mean, for example a 100kg pullup would be a 80kg person and a 20kg Dumbell.
A 105kg pullup would be a 85kg person and a 20kg dumbell.

Easy man.

>fucking up a whole program by adding volume on non-comp lifts.

Yeah, don't be a pussy. Eat and sleep. Overtraining is a meme.

just did 10 reps with 40kg ask me anything

Pull ups + Dips are GOAT combo

Rows are mostly a meme, though they have some use

What the fuck does normal mean to you?

Average

Are Latvian pull-overs just a meme?

How much do you weigh, how tall are you and how long are your arms.

thats not a question

Do you only weight 40 kg skelly bro?

weighted pull ups masterrace

No I weigh 90kg

Okay guys I want to try to start doing pullups but I'm really short and all the bars are 2.5-3 feet taller than me. Is it weird if I ask someone to give me a boost up?

Set up a bench press and remove the bench. Pull-up bar is now only a short jump up.

just jump dude

Nice /fedora/

?

pull ups are up there with bench press as the most popular showoff exercise, and literally the objective most popular one to do in front of girls.

>Why is it that almost nobody does chinups/pullups at the gym?
Because bench/incline is sexier.

Don't worry, though. Most of the press-bros will be injured in good time if they don't balance their pressing with a healthy amount of pulling.

I really want to but can't even do one. Where do I start Veeky Forums?

>Where do I start Veeky Forums?
Band-assisted or machine assisted.
Controlled negatives.
Partials.
Lat pull-down.

g-gril?

Thanks.

>>Lat pull-down.
I currently pull about 60% of my bodyweight with these.
Does this mean I will have to reach 100% in order to do a proper pullup, or is that not necessary?

>Does this mean I will have to reach 100% in order to do a proper pullup
Probably closer to 105-110%. No worries, though. Program it like your primary lifts, if you need to. Get there.

Seems like a good thread to ask. Just got a pullup setup at home, what's a solid routine to follow? Currently I can do about 4-5 pullups.

i do weighted chins at the gym. 6 reps with 25kg.

i usually do pull ups at the outdoor gym on my off days because it's a nice reason to get out in the sun. my max is 18 reps.

i think people just don't do them because they're hard and they take a while to get good at, or, as this guy said they just use the pull down machine instead.

Do one pull up on day one, then two on day two, etc, etc.

You'll be able to do 323 pull-ups by this time next year.

lel

i usually do like 3 sets of a number just below my max. if your max is 5 try just do 3 sets of 4 every day, and then once a week test your max reps.

>squats and diddlies are so dangerous!
>gets neck crushed while benching

This makes no sense
If you re stronger how do you drop pullups?
Pencil arms detected

Because they are overweight and can't do as many as a skinny dude.
They only do bench squat and dead so they can feel superior to any dyel that can do more dips/chins than them

i seriously hope you are a girl

I do them at home, got an overhead bar. I also do other bodyweight stuff at home, plus any dumbbell work. I like doing things alone when possible.

Personally i disagree with this. I'd like to be as strong as possible relative to my bodyweight, so pull-ups are a good measure of that.
I want to be able to run fast, swim fast, hike long, climb well, etc.
I like outdoorsy shit and that requires being able to throw my weight around with ease.

>pullups not getting girls
nigga what planet did you just come from

Yes. Keep going, it takes most girls a while till the first.
Do negatives also (jump up and grab the bar in the "up" position and lower yourself down as slowly as you can manage).

Do one pull up the first day, then do two pull ups the second day, etc. etc. until the end of the year. Once you're able to do 367 (Counting leap years) consecutive pull ups, start from the beginning using one arm. Do one one armed pull up the oneth day, then the next day do one two armed pull up. Third day, do one two armed pullup and one one armed pull up for a total of three pullups. You'll have to do some arithmetic for this program, so brainlets can find something else. Do this for two years (Splitting 367 into two arms will give you 744 separate push up days)., and ypou'll be strong. To confuse the body and build even more biceps, bend your legs backwards at 90 degrees (Like an angle of a square) and this will disrupt your center of gravity and your arms or arm will have to work harder to pull the rest of your biceps up
This is an excellent way to build muscle, and if you're willing to put the time into it I think you'll be happy with the gains that you experience

checkin dem dere quints

hey people, im starting at home.
how much should i do?
im doing 5 series of 10 chin up and
4 series of 25 push up to work on my arms.
is that okay? im weight 58kg(127lb)

Start throwing weight in a backpack to progress on both. Once you can do multiple sets of 10 pulls/chins it's time to go weighted. Pullups benefit too.

nice quints, don't know what the fuck you're talking about though bro

ok, thanks.
i will keep doing it without any weight for a few weeks because i have to try really hard to get al the series done in a fair time.

I'm doing SL and switched rows for weighted chins
last session I clipped the weight on and noticed some guy move over to the rowing machine right next to the chin up bar, middle of set I see him in the corner of my eye staring

I do 12x4 with 50lb weights nerd

Quints of best routine

what if i miss a day ?
it's not going to be 367 anymore ;-/

>he doesn't know how to weight his pullups

Manlet reporting, i do pull ups fine, I got jumps.

I do 185 5x5 OHP and do 5 chin-ups between sets, but only because the bar is right there

This is a silly question but I'm new to Veeky Forums - I recently started grad school and only have time to hit the gym once or twice a week, so most of my exercising has to be body weight stuff.

Will doing push-ups increase my muscle mass? It seems like I'm losing muscle mass since I stopped lifting 4 times a week like I used to.

What do dips do?

I do 2x40 pushups, 2x10 pullups and 8 min (2 each side, front) weighted planks, 30 kettlebell squats every other day. What should i add? My delts look weak.

is it worth doing them if you can only do 3x5?

I suggest you stop being a pussy and go to the gym 4 times a week. Ever heard of a thing called time management? Even the fucking PhD's across the river at MIT are getting shredded m8

Speaking of, when do you lads add weights? I can do three sets -nine, seven, six usually, of bodyweight. Common consensus here seems to be when you can do more than ten. Does that mean ten cumulative or ten reps each set?

Ignore He's probably some dyel projecting on you.

If you can only make it to the gym once or twice a week, try to get as much bang for your buck as you can. Do full body when you go, as heavy as you can with proper form.

On days when you can't go to the gym but still have a little extra time to workout, check on youtube or bodybuilding.com for bodyweight circuits. Get a jumprope as well; they're great conditioning tools. Sweat hard and push yourself.

I did 3x5 all the way to 70 lbs, which was a 115 lb 1rm. Just because part of the resistance is your own body weight doesn't mean you can't treat it like any other compound lift. I would start adding weight now.

You just got fat then

L O N D O N G

O

N

D

O

N

G

so like, 3 inches?

Thanks for the advice.
I have a pull up bar at home in a high traffic door frame, I try to do a jump up momentum chin up each time I pass. I might try to do a slow drop down from it when I do this.

Fuck the assisted machine. Do negatives. You'll get stronger way faster. That goes with every lift. Slow eccentric >>>> concentric

I do chinups, pullups, dips, and wide pullups all the time and I see plenty of people doing them.

Fuck I'm stalling on pullups cab do 8 max on a good day
>wide grip tho
Also, I don't do chinups often so I can't tell

Short here. Sometimes I put up a jumping block or something when doing the weighted version.

Thanks, I'll start doing negatives. I just responded to another post suggesting that, too.
Should I keep using the assisted machine as well, mainly to see how I'm progressing?

If you want, sure, but I absolutely guarantee that if you just do sets of negatives (3x10 for example), one day, probably only a few weeks later, you'll be able to jump up and do a normal pullup. Checking your progress won't hurt, but it won't do much, either. Trust you'll get there.

Thanks brah
Once I can do one pull up without momentum I'll be over the moon :3

> balance horizontal pushing with vertical pulling
> you will fuck up your shoulders too

they are the harder version of push ups. there is not much benefit in doing such a big number of reps. the most important thing is time under tension. doing a few slow and controlled reps is better than a lot of quick and bouncy ones.

have you tried doing one-arm pullups where you grab the bar with your left hand AND you grab your left forearm with your right arm?