Bitched out of an engineering degree to study history and hopefully become a historian

How badly did I fuck up?

STEMfags will ruin this thread, you know that, right?

at least go to a trade school and learn something that won't leave you an absolutely fucking useless stain on society

Wut about all the ways historians have changed the way that we view the present. See Howard Zinn.

So badly that unless you:

a). become a hermit
b). marry well

You will live a life of poverty and regret surrounded by what you love but forever prevented from embracing it. In essence a more tortured form of existence that the servants of the wealthy experience.

not bad at all, assuming you're american, just use the degree to move out of your shithole country and also avoid paying the jews your student loans. at worst you can move to somewhere like eastern europe and live like of a king off of measly USD savings.

Thats nice and all but you should really learn a trade, I'd love to be a historian but I'm going to learn how to pipe-weld and spend my golden years being an old, wise historian.

>move out of country, using up most of savings
>magically get a visa to some shit eu country
>don't get employed because history degrees are fake news
>live off savings for a month or two
>don't speak native language, become isolated
>get money, return home to 10 gorillian dollar debt
Don't listen to this idiot OP. Don't fall for the 'do what you love' meme and drop that shit history degree.

>get lonely**
Still a shit idea

Like fucking clockwork.

Dude you are a fucking retard

Anybody know how hard it is to get a job in academia or how long it usually takes? Would going back and getting my bachelors in civil as a back up plan be a better idea and then doing a masters in history? Is me asking Veeky Forums for advice the worst thing of all?

You did the right thing of course, engineers should have a high IQ, not tortured people who aren't fit for it

>muh stain on society

slave mentality at its finest

>Anybody know how hard it is to get a job in academia or how long it usually takes?
At least 8 years of school for a PhD, and after that, it's incredibly hard to get a job because the market is so competitive. It's not impossible, but it's definitely not easy.

To answer the question in your OP, if you were seriously staking your entire future on becoming a historian, you probably fucked up pretty bad. Practical plans for any career choice rely on doing good research into what you want to do, and being realistic about how to achieve that goal. It looks like you're done neither of those things.

As someone who is know an engineer, I wish I did a degree in history.

>tfw you will never teach people about the history of finance and bring into context the truly remarkable innovation it is.

fuck

Im the user from getting work is easy its getting the decent work that is the hard part.

As a tutors/teachers assistant you will have to work from semester to semester with little stability and often for wages that allow you to qualify for foodstamps. The people who tend the university bars will have more money and more free time that you will.

Veeky Forums isnt the worst place to ask given there are a whole lot of students here.

Yeah i know the things you wrote, the amount of time it takes to study for a PhD and that a job at the end is by no means assured, just what the likelyhood is what I was asking about. I have looked into but no one seems to have a clear idea on it. How do people become historians without making this gamble? Just what the bloody hell is going on here.

>be 3rd year engineering student
>gets to study history without writing boring ass papers or having to attend mandatory BLACKed history classes.

Ya dun goofed friend. Not even mad though

You will not be able to make your own contribution to the study of history tho

>what the likelyhood is what I was asking about.
Most young professors I've had have mentioned that they're the only ones (or maybe one out of two) with academic jobs in their graduating classes. So the odds aren't very good, at least for work at a university. And even then, you might end up getting stuck in one or two year contracts for a while before finding a permanent job. It'll be easier to do something like get an adjunct position at a community college, but that's kind of a shitty life.

>How do people become historians without making this gamble?
No one does. Academia works the way it works. But it's a long, hard road, and success isn't guaranteed.

theres nothing to contribute it already happened

Don't do it.

Literally who cares. No one has ever cared about any historian ever. Not to say that people care about STEM tards though but at least as a STEM tard you'll be able to squeeze out enough income that your wife might care about you. Fingers crossed.

kek

There's actually a glut of STEM workers, and you can get employment as a museum curator or something else not purely history related

A degree is a degree.