OHP

I recently started doing OHP and I suck at it.
I can only do 4x5 with 5kg plates on a barbell.
I get fatigue really fast, no muscle soreness just unable to continue from fatigue.

How do I improve this? Any other exercises that might help?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4WoLZbonns
youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

push press out extra reps after failure

Watch form videos on Youtube. Lower the weight. Do it lots.

What ever happened to this guy?

Combined with Arnold press while sitting down to make sure you use your shoulders and not your back

Take steroids

I was in your position when I first started OHP. There really is nothing to it other than to keep going. Your muscles will fatigue very quickly initially, but then they'll grow used to being worked. If your gym has 2.5kg or even 1.25kg plates, you can try them. Once I got my diet in order, I was able to press 40kg before I injured my neck doing them.

I jumped from 80lbs to 115lbs in about six weeks. It's not that hard if you're eating and have proper form.

Is this a new meme or something? Any man should be able to press 1 plate after a few weeks of training

bruv everyone gets fatigued after 5 sets of overhead press.

my one rep max is very close to lmao1.5pl8 now and after my set of 5x5 or 5x3 or whatever i have programmed, my shoulders are like 70% srs

Do a lot of isometric pushing against your ceiling for minutes at a time

>youtube.com/watch?v=k4WoLZbonns
>youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
Really helped me with my press.

>lanklets

?

is this a new meme or something? Any man should be able to press 2 plate after a few hours of training

>able to reach the ceiling
>not a lank
reee

Is this a new meme or something? Any man should be able to press the whole gym with one arm after a few minutes of warm up

While on a 3x5, can I make my press 4x5, or even 5x5 if I want to give it the priority?

Some tips from someone who has pressed 120kg for a single:

>You can overhead a lot more than you think. 5xWeek was recommended back in the days before roids when it was an olympic lift, which would commonly entail 3 press days and 2 accessroy days (DB or seated done for 3-5x3-5)
>Press more. It's that important. With 5x5 I'd recommend 3xW and increase weight with a 0.5kg (1lbs) plate on each end weekly. Not got microplates? Increase weight every two weeks.
>Going up in weight is a slow process with pressing. If you aren't pressing a lot it'll be even slower.
>Do 5x5 for 3 months. In olympic pressing it was a prep program for building stamina, which, as you say, you need.
>When done switch to a 5/4/3/2/1 with 5kg(10lbs) jumps with the single 10lbs below max. Test max every 2 weeks and adjust poundages
>Here's a basic program for the press that olympic lifters trained:
>Assuming 150lbs Max
>110 pounds x 3x3 repetitions
>120 x 3x3
>130 x 3x2
>(10lb below top limit) 140 x 3x1
>Test for max every 2 weeks, adjust weight
>Yes - it's 12 sets, but to press a lot you need to press a lot.

I don't know what to say. I had a similar problem but with more weight. Try going heavier and working on your form until you feel it hitting your shoulders, I guess.

There's some good advice in that second one. Particularly how to hold the barbell.

What he don't mention though:

>When going for a max use a staggered stance, i.e. 1 foot 4 inches or so in front of the other. It'll allow you to get up more weight.

Hands should be slightly outside of shoulder width, just on the knurling of most bars but you may be on smooth bar of your gym is stupid like the one I used to go to.

Feet should be shoulder width. Before unracking the bar, breath deep, let it out halfway, then breath in slightly and contract HARD with your abdominals, your obliques, lower back, your glutes, and your quads/hammies. Grip the bar with a suicide grip. Step forward with one foot and, keeping everything tight, unrack onto your shelf, step back into proper foot placement and stay tight. Now pull your shoulders to neutral, strangle the bar with your grip, spread the floor, then push.

It's all about technique. Depending on your build your grip may be different. Good things to think about: equal pressing on both sides (I see people with a wobbly bar on ohp all the time because one arm is pushing more than the other or they setup stupidly); lower body drive for stability and strength; keeping a rigid body (think low bar squat and diddly levels of stable); pushing your head slightly through the hole when you clear; not leaning in any direction at all; flex your biceps as you come down.

It's all in technique and power. At first, after learning proper technique, I had to lower the weight. But after two weeks or so I shot up past my old pr by about fifteen pounds and haven't stopped since. Currently ohp 170 for 3. Not super crazy, but for the average gym goer, leagues ahead.

Too many people think ohp is just triceps and shoulders pushing up.

OHP is one of the hardest exercise, when I started I could only do 30kg too.
Just keep going. But if you can only do 4x5 and your goal is 5x5, that means you need to lower the weight for now.

Lanklets, when will they learn?

that sounds good, thanks for the advice

cheers bruv, actual information from proper experience is underrated here.

>How do I improve this? Any other exercises that might help?

do some fucking laps around the track. you have shit stamina

I started with the bar and I couldn't even finish 5x5 OP, 3 months later I'm at 100 now, just keep on trucking through it

read the SS book if you haven't, changing little things about my form made a big difference. a lot of muscles are used in this lift and if one of them is off then it shits up the rest of the lift, it's tough

Is this a meme or something? Every man should be able to push press a neutron star a few minutes after being born.

Well no shit that's because push press is a lot easier

I used to be on your level for the longest time. I distinctly remember doing 85lbs 3x5, only be able to do 105x3, and barely. Then one day out of the blue I got pissed at myself for not increasing my shoulders for literally like a half month or more, put 135 on the bar and did 5. I was dumbfounded, but I was enraged and wasn't going to leave without lifting it. Try more weight on shoulder press machine or accessories.

>Can't reach the ceiling

Fucking manlets