The spiritual importance of the Confederate battle flag

Canadian here. Is it true that to the people who proudly shows away this flag, it symbolises something of a rebellious & wild spirit? The "Spirit of the South" preserved?

Well, that is about the gist of it. I've talked to guys who would lash out if you talk about slavery, the Confederate, and their flag-printed shirts in the same sentence.

That reminds me of this little strange thing I noticed about the Neo-Confederates: Many of them were both proud of their ancestors for fighting for the South, yet at the same times they blamed the rich slaves owners for driving their ancestors to the battlefields.

Being from the south, can say it's still very common in areas to see the flag flown. Granted the areas are typically lower class white areas, but it still exists. It's a pride thing, the south is always about heritage and pride. It takes pride in the fact that it stood up to the US and they speak fondly of ancestors who were confederate soldiers. The funny thing is most of them wouldn't have benefited from slavery or states rights. They were just poor bumpkins who wanted something to rally behind. The rich plantation owners and their families typically hid. Hell even Jefferson Davis tried to escape to New Orleans in drag. General Lee didn't believe in any of it. He only sided with the south because of love and pride in his home state. Lincoln really wanted Lee too. Grant was a drunk jackass. Lee was tested and a damn good general. But He was on the wrong side of the mason Dixon. So in essence, for most southerners it's really not about racism at all, but pride in heritage, even if it's a shitty heritage
Hope this helps

Lost cause: the post

no.

it's literal just the flag of our region, only yankees and trouble-seeking negroes say otherwise.

It's flown by inbred hicks that are still assblasted their side lost.

Trump voters should be banned from this board

Supporting the troops does not equate to supporting the politicians or the war itself. I hope you can understand that

Born and raised in the South, still live there today. If it has anything to do with pride it's the ridiculous pride that a child takes in flaunting the rules. "Don't touch that!" *touches it*

Ever go on /v/ and watch them shit on everything that's mainstream, even if it's the best thing since sliced bread? That is the kernel of the white southern collective unconscious. Ignorant contrarianism. We are an entire society of theistic fedora tippers. The only thing that flag truly represents is a time when being poor white trash meant you were still better than a nigger.

>Hitler built a wall in Berlin

What kind of retard made this image?

I legit think the person who made it think Hitler did the wall between east and west Germany lel

Well, yeah, that's probably how they got the idea. I just wanna know what kind of retard thinks Hitler's responsible for it. I can imagine they were like:
>The Berlin wall?
>Berlin is in Germany
>I bet it was Hitler that did it

Not even a southerner, but I still like the flag because it encourages sectarian culture and ideals, especially in a time when there is a large movement towards making a singular, monolithic line of thoughts and ethics the only valid culture one can have.

>not letting the most economically backward region of the country that held over 90% of the Black pop secede peacefully

Lincoln was the worst president

Poe

Its not about pride or any of that. Its just a cool little flag that you can have as bumper sticker or hanging on your wall. The "heritage" and "pride" stuff is completely auxiliary and only attached to it as an after-thought...only when people start to challenge it did it become a symbol of anything really

The battle flag represents the fiery spirit of independence and rebellion that this country was born from. The people who runs things don't hate it because it's a symbol of "slavery/racism". If they gave a shit about that, they'd be pulling down American flags too.

They hate it because it's a symbol of defiance and dissent cannot be tolerated.

I live in Oregon, which has ass all to do with anything related to the Civil War or Southern heritage. And these fucking flags at the time were all over the place, which always struck me as odd. Maybe they meant something different to the people that flew them here. I would say something like them lashing out at censorship, but I think that's giving them too much credit. I think people associate that flag with being a redneck, which to a lot of people where I live is a good thing.

A lot of people who live in rural areas, even in non-Southern states are of Southern descent.

t. Okie

It's most likely because the divide in the US now isn't north vs south, but rather rural vs urban. And I doubt a lot of people can even tell you why they fly the flag at all, but feel attracted to it for some explicit reason, probably because someone's told them they can't do that.

It's most thoughtful usage is being flown as a symbol of hatred and bigotry. That is a minority IMO. At best, it's flown out of ignorance to its context and as a pop culture symbol for being southern or country. That's a majority. I think the remaining people fly it for a combination of "fuck you for being offended" and "fuck the gubment."

Southerners are just polite enough to put up giant indicators showing who's incapable of higher brain functions.