/mag/

/mag/ - Martial Arts General

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and facts:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
•Kyokushin Karate
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•Participants compete at amateur or professional level
•Physical condition part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning
Who else here is sparring tomorrow? I'm fucking stoked.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WoQQlOEnSFI
eastwindacademy.com/
mcdojo-faq.tripod.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>implying Aikido doesn't have sparring/randori

youtube.com/watch?v=WoQQlOEnSFI

Oh god wtf is that shit

BJJ makes for really fun times in bed, just saying. I'm not very good at it, but girls who are make me wet, since it's always an adventure.

Kyokushin is ok, but I don't really think it's that good. It's too specialized, I know it has good aspects, but I feel like you can find better aspects.

Ninjitsu is always a scam... I heard so many horror stories.

I feel like shit for missing bjj class tonight.
At least there's no gi tomorrow night.

Why'd you miss

Tell me more about ninjutsu because my friend swears by it while I'm convinced it's a meme martial art.

Ninjutsu isn't a martial art

It's literally "espionage techniques"

The martial arts and fighting aspect is just Japanese Jujutsu, just with a hollywood ninja flavor to sell.

It's both, I mean there's an actual aspect to it as it does involve martial arts, but so much of it has become hype. Like it went form, espionage with martial arts, to omg mega superman powers.

I remember listening to an MMA fighter talking about various martial arts they were looking into, they ended up at a Ninjitsu dojo/school with their team, and asked to learn. The guy in charge was super douchey and was like "You must wait for the lessons to be over and then if you still wish I will fight" so they waited to see what would happen. When it was over he asked again if they wanted to fight, the guy said yes, and so the Ninjitsu master had his students bring out a blindfold, he put it on and sat down, saying "Attack me..." The MMA guy was confused, then tip toed around the blindfolded guy, and rear naked chocked him out easily. They didn't really bother with it after.

From other fights I've seen, Ninjitsu is always outclassed. Though that might be because of rules, and the fact that people are face to face. I'm guessing if you're sneaking around you have a much better chance of a cheap liver shot than if you're just in brawl. So sure, there's benefit to it, but not as self defense as much as just knowing a lot of cheap shots, some of which might be not as cheap, since liver shots are sometimes ok?

Though most places don't teach it as that, they just act like it's not the alternate form of kicking people in the balls. Which is stupid. Trust me though, a kick in the vaj is just as bad sometimes :/.

My gi was not clean in time due to me spacing out and losing track of time.
Damn days off.

Any stretching routine suggestions for MT? I'm getting these massive pains in my hips trying to kick and it's been starting to affect other things like my squat, and even just hopping on a bike.

The head of the largest ninjutsu organisation around (bujinkan) literally made up 2 of the styles he teaches and lacks credentials supporting his claims for inheriting soke-ship for the majority of his other styles. Thise which he has credentials for are all highly dubious.

Its all well documented as he applied for it to be recognized as koryu which requires producing the scrolls to prove lineage.

I have the qualifying tournament for japanese championships in kudo next week.

Wat do?

Can we practice Martial Arts at home? Like we change parts of the teaching to make it cheaply

fuck me was that terrible to watch, literally white belt judoka would mop the floor with these balanceless tards

You'll be crippled without someone competent looking at your form and it's an exercise in futility without sparring.

>at muay thai the other day
>hear instructor tell other student in silat they pay to advance
>get really bummed out and realize I've been mc dojo'd even though they offer classes like csw, jeet kune do, kali, and taekwondo. I started to know that something was up when the instructors couldn't answer some of the questions and all of the reviews of the place where by the instructors themselves.
Sucks, and I liked the people there, but we did do sparring(light and hard), people would come there to train before ameuter and pro fights, a little culty, a little non-professional(instructors playfully talk shit, and joke around, cussing (like every other word), etc), Kind of a list of moves that have to be learned in an art, but only done once or twice then you've "learned".

Although paid grading is a red flag i wouldn't immediately scream mcdojo due to it. Rent, gear and insurance don't pay for themselves.

I mean gracie barra charges an arm and a leg for bb and beyond.

like your actual hips? careful because early arthritis is a thing

missed boxing to play vidya with a friend at his house.
also only had 4 hours of sleep
did i fugg up?

You should treasure your friends.

it was fun

>being a normie instead of being a badass
Of course you fucked up, just don't beat yourself up over it.

Which part of the hip? It might be worth getting to a sports therapist and making sure your pelvis isn't tilted, it's a common thing in martial arts and could be contributing to the pain.

If it's the front of the hips, ie hip flexors, lay on the floor with one leg extended and toes pointing forward, and bring the knee of the other leg as far into the chest as you can, while still trying to extend that bottom leg.

For the side of the hips, you're better off with dynamic stretches rather than static stretches, rotational movements, leg swings and the like.

Are you warming up properly before you start? You should never static stretch at the start of a workout!

Train?

>I've been mc dojo'd even though they offer classes like csw, jeet kune do, kali, and taekwondo
>>even though they offer

That's the first red flag right there.

Paid grading is a thing in almost all things, it's if they're doing it for profit or because the organisation behind it requires it. For instance, The British Judo Association charges £10 to grade people, but the clubs see none of that money at all.

I've looked through the "mcdojo signs" thing, and I can't decide if I'm at one or it's just someone trying to run a business.

It can be harder with some arts. MT especially as everyone expects hard sparring, so even a mcdojo would need to have hard sparring to get people in.

My best advice would be to find somewhere else where you can observe a training session, see if the people there have a much higher standard, see if the training sessions have a better structure etc.

If that's not an option, ask your instructors about their competition record and the competition record of the guys they've trained. If they're reluctant to give you much information rather than being 100% transparent, then you might be at a mcdojo.

How do you guys fit your workout sessions alongside your martial arts? I've recently started going back into weightlifting doing a moderate PPL routine to get my strength and mass back.

I basically train martial arts 5 days a week with Friday and Saturday being my only rest days. Could I still weight train and do martial arts on the same days? I want to bulk up a bit since I'm very lean but I feel as though I'd need to eat atleast 5000 calories a day since I burn more than I eat.

>
My best advice would be to find somewhere else where you can observe a training session, see if the people there have a much higher standard, see if the training sessions have a better structure etc.
I've thought about this and might do it next week.
>If that's not an option, ask your instructors about their competition record and the competition record of the guys they've trained. If they're reluctant to give you much information rather than being 100% transparent, then you might be at a mcdojo.
They're pretty open about everything, I've only had one instance where something done was called an "octopus choke", got this reaction like "whoa, you weren't meant to see that" but it was my second week there at the time so they might have not wanted me to go around trying it on people? But that makes little sense since it's a martial arts school. I know that they're training fighters right now, I don't know much but I guess their good. One of the guys had two recent losses in MMA from verbal submission and I think the other one was by tap out.

this place isn't sounding right
any other problems?

>WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
>mfw i once went to a gym that crossed off almost every point on that list

>decide that ive had enough of only lifting and to try a sport
>live close to a martial arts gym
>call and ask them if i can try out one of their training sessions
>get there
>every student excpt for one is a skinny nerd
>instructor constantly tells students to take it easy since the techniques are very dangerous
>eagerly wait for some sparring, never happens
>students spend 5 mnutes taking turns kicking each other in the legs to 'toughen up'
>session is almost over dont even feel winded(and im quite unathletic too)
>5 minutes of hiit
>instructor asks me how i liked it
>say it was pretty disappointing because there was no sparring at all
>he looks at me, scoffs and says that he cant do sparring because he would knock me te fuck out with one punch
>asks him how much the training would cost
>50€ per month, but yiu have to subscribe for at least a year
>tell him thats dumb
>i just gotta pay my bills mang
>two years later see his car flipped upside down on the highway
I wonder if hes okay.

Nope, I like the people I train with and the people that work there. I'm not really training to fight yet, just a hobby, something to do to get out of the house and burn some fat.

>>he looks at me, scoffs and says that he cant do sparring because he would knock me te fuck out with one punch
That's pretty fuckin douchey, what was he so butthurt about?

Firstly its an excuse to not include sparring in the practice, secondly i think he wanted to intimidate me, since i pretty much said his training is shit.

>he looks at me, scoffs and says that he cant do sparring because he would knock me te fuck out with one punch
"Sorry man nah, I can't play pictionary with you guys, if I try to draw I'm just going to shit out the Mona Lisa again."

things sound sketchy. find somewhere else

I manage to lift at least twice a week while maintaining a similar schedule. Just eat more man

What a fag.

>punches to the head aren't allowed

fucking dropped

Somehow I doubt you need to eat 5k a day doing ppl and practicing a MA.

does getting popped in the head so many times really make you dumber?

Yes.

It's called being "punch drunk".

LOL that made me die

Reading this thread I feel spoiled.

I started out at a good judo club with competitive players and good coaches. Then when I moved to bjj it was at an MMA gym where all the coaches had a good competition record as well as a good coaching record.

None of the higher belts at bjj are snooty and will all happily roll with or help drill with the lower belts.

It's the same in the other arts they offer there. I'd started wrestling the same time I started bjj there and started boxing and muay thai a couple of months ago.

I'm still too much of a pansy faggot for mma though.

I may have exaggerated a bit but I burn like 1000 calories each bjj session and usually I come out famished.

Depends on the boxer. The black ones get it worse. Latino boxers seem to make it okay. Look at Meldrick Taylor, Riddick Bowe and Roger Mayweather. All those dudes are in real bad shape. Roberto Duran and Julio Cesar Chavez are I'm good shape

can i do BJJ and lift at the same time? would it kill my gains?

What do you like more? Do you want to compete or just a new hobby

Depends on how legit your dojo is. Good places will have high cardio in their program. If you want to lift, then maybe do judo instead.

Or go to a mcdojo bjj place, and that won't kill your gains.

i want to do boxing, with the gf too. Tips on how to get into it?

Was thinking of training her and I for a few months to get a little better at it and make sure we like it before dropping $$$

Leave the bitch at home.

You must walk this path of hardship and spiritual discipline yourself.

i understand you have dubs but i want to do this with my gf to make her active and able to defend herself in the upcoming race war

>woman
>capable of defending herself against a man intending harm
I have serious doubts cyborg could stop a decent size dude with no training. If you want to help her get her a gun and start doing parkour.

>gymbro friend says I should do a bodybuilding bulk routine and gain mass before I start boxing again
>I tell him the conditioning from boxing develops the appropriate muscles/body
>he counters that I have no muscle mass compared to him and wouldn't be able to hit hard enough or take a punch
>I tell him power comes first from technique, then from speed and mass.

I think the truth is somewhere in between both of our positions. How right is he?

he's retarded

Yoo bro this exact situation almost happened to me but I got up last night to throw it in the wash. Parallel universe shit...

guess that settles that.

The majority of power is from technique but it's not like lucky charms mcgregor can tangle with mark kerr

Don't you guys hate it when you're working the punching bag in your home gym and reach for your sweat rag but accidentally grab and wipe your face with your cum rag?

I would steer clear of gyms that teach jeet kune do and probably silat, too.

we have this thing where guys with different martial arts backgrounds get together and fight each other. over the course of decades, it's given us a pretty good sense of what works well: the martial arts listed in op's post. note that all of these arts have regulated competitions--they're tested and testable.

Technique is king, and power generation is next best. When you mix the two you get scary hitting power.

You can have big muscles but if you aren't explosive (powerful) then it doesn't mean shit. A bigger weight moving slowly is of no help in a striking match.

Check out how well bob sapp did against guys consistently far smaller than him and get back to me

Yeah I agree with you, but this isn't about big untrained guy vs trained small guy or skilled big guy vs more skilled smaller guy.

More like if you're going to train boxing, is it in your best interest to start from whatever shape you're in or to spend time weightlifting first?

Personally I say go straight to boxing, picking up boxing skills while getting some muscle is better than getting a lot of muscle and no skills.
And if you're going to fight you'll fight in your weight class, and can bulk up later, then train and spar at that weight, then fight in a higher weightclass.

Yeah the black dudes seem to suffer way more. Poor Gerald Mclellan

I think it mighy seem that way because you don't see the mexican boxers on tv much, and english is never their first language anyway so you can't tell what's damage and what's just shit english skills

I have no way to prove it but I'm a boxing coach and alright fighter
I keep most of my guys off the weights unless they have a need for it (rehab, deficiency, really heavy guys looking for more strength)
the right training and diet will build mass if needed
weights especially bodybuilding training don't contribute to technique, you just end up in a heavier division with none of the skills to cope

Welp, looks like I've been mcdojo'd. Thanks for the help..I have no idea where to go now because everywhere around here looks sketchy.

This.

Doesn't matter what you are when you start, if you want to fight you'll end up around the proper fight weight from your training anyway, and coaches will tell you if you need to lose/gain.

If you don't want to be a fighter then do whatever the fuck you like, boxing skills apply no matter what size you are

Like the guys at that one bjj school that wanted my credit card info..I walked out. If they can't take cash, even I'll say something is up.

I want Arlovski to teach me SAMBO.

and I had an odd feeling when one of my muay thai instructors made a post about "learning new things" from a seminar, and was told once that "form doesn't matter right now"..That and the shit talking to students too, I don;t know how many places work, it their strict or laid back, but there has to be a point where it's unacceptable for an instructor to tell another student he was going to "kick his ass" and had the staff laugh at him for complaining. Now that I look at it, the beat up gear, the attitudes, the poor managment, something isn't right. Even though I want to say that I like the place, but I have this feeling in my gut I'm at the wrong place and I need to go somewhere else but can't think of anywhere to go train.

Depending on what exactly are you looking for, I would say style is the last thing you should use as criteria to qualify something as mcdojo. And certainly, I think the whole approved list on OP is a big meme.

In other words, if you visit other places, like bullshido.net or blackbelt wiki forums and so on, the consensus for the most part it's not the style, but the practicer. If you train a lot, with good sparring and proper fit training, most practicers will do fine for their intended purpose. But slapping the bjj, or kung fu, or wrestling tag in the front of a mcdojo won't turn the place into a legit training place.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming all the martial arts are equally good. I'm claiming they have different purposes, and depending on what do you want, some are better than others. TWD is a shit on the street, but is on the olympics, so people can literally made a living by practicing fancy spinning kicks. Boxing alone won't get you whatever prize the UFC grants to their champions, but it will put back on their place any random asshole on a bar. And, for some reason, /asp/ jerks on a daily basis to the UFC and MMA circuits, hence they get a boner to bjj and similar stuff.

So, be pretty clear about what do you want from practicing MA, choose the closest MA to said objective, and be disciplined about it. As for the street, most MA will get you the edge to survive a random brawl, and not all of us want to join the ufc.

eastwindacademy.com/

I think there's some confusion going on here stemming from ambiguity in the term "mcdojo." When I suggest he stays clear of gyms that arts that aren't legit, I'm not implying that those gyms are mcdojos in the sense that there's chicanery going on.
I.e., I'm not suggesting that if you go to a gym that teaches a style that hasn't been successful in mma, it's more likely that you're being deceived/taken advantage of. Integrity varies from practitioner to practitioner, and much less so from art to art.
But sincerity isn't all you're looking for when picking a gym. You should avoid gyms that teach shit arts, not because their instructors are more likely to take advantage of you, but because their instructors are less likely to know their shit.

also, the distinction between street-effectiveness and effectiveness in the octagon is not real. in a street fight between a krav maga practitioner or systema or literally whatever against someone who has succeeded in high level competition in boxing, wrestling, or tkd, the competitor will win.

technique matters, but *techniques* don't matter. in almost no case does someone win a fight because he knows more moves than his opponent--people win fights because they're better at fighting. to get good at fighting, you have to do it a lot--this is why competition works and only martial arts that involve large amounts of sparring are effective.

wtf there's a seal officer teaching there? could someone check if he's legit? if so, he must be an alcoholic or something to have fallen so hard

Is Gracie Barra legit?

The op on the /asp/ thread includes this link:

>mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

As for the website you linked... huh... read the link and figure it out by yourself. I suppose you had first hand experience with them, so you should know better. As outsider, I would say yeah, is a mcdojo. Not because they teach you meme ma or whatever, but because:

>They don't mentions anything about sparring, and their classes seem more focused on drills, katas and specific scenario techniques than sparring.
>They have a specific curriculum that "allows new students to see results quickly."
>They can downgrade students from other places, so a black belt in certain art could be a white belt for them. (No, the point isn't to maintain you black belt, is that most schools don't give a shit about it)
>The classical advertising aimed at soccer moms to enroll their kids into their special ma programs.
>SEAL officers among the instructors. Militar guys are, usually, trained in firearms, not so much on hand to hand combat. And because confidential operations and potential payback, they rarely brag about their past in the army.

It reeks to mcdojo, imo.

I read this whole thread for you.

It LOOKS like a mcdojo, I THINK that it's a mcdojo, but unless you can find a BETTER place then I think you should keep going there.

Don't sell your house before you've bought a new one. You'll end up in a motel.

>only martial arts that involve large amounts of sparring are effective.

But that's the entire point I was making.

The tripfag was asking if the place he was training at is a mcdojo. You suggest the art they teach is somehow indicative of their quality ("steer clear of gyms that teach" this or that), and I refute that claim with exactly the quote I linked, and what you can heard in basically any other ma forums: isn't the style, but the practicer. A practicer who does lots of sparring more likely will win against some other who only does katas and drills all day long, and which MA is each side practicing is largely irrelevant in this specific scenario. This wind academy includes MMA and muay thai on ther curriculum, even ground and grappling as some wide non-specific art, so according to the OP list this place should be a great place. And like no user here, after reading the website. thinks this place is legit at all, so what's the point on what they are teaching? They could change tags and include bjj instead hapkido, it would be still sketchy as fuck, and I would pick somewhere else to train if I could.

And if you really think street fighting and competitive ring fighting are the same, you're deluding yourself. For starters, the large majority of people on the street don't train any MA at all, so even the most basic punching (and throwings) will take care of them, no need for fancy alien guards and locks. If you are fighting against some other competitive fighter on the street, you really fucking royally screwed it up, and basically deserve whatever happens to you.

Unless you're one of those guys. You know, the ones who watched fight club too many times.

bump

Bob sapp literally went into the foetal position and tapped if he didn't get a KO in the first 10 seconds. Not a great argument m8.

Their training and techniques are legit but as an organization they're shady as fuck. There's a long investigation on bullshido.

Pulling black belts, human traffick, drig dealing, etc.

It depends on the Gracie Barra. They have a decent competition team (under Gracie Barra) but they do run their gyms as a franchise.

Here in the UK we have a good Gracie Barra in Birmingham, but the one that I started out wasn't so good. I left after being told I couldn't help drill takedowns with the purple belts during open mat (I've competed at a decent level in judo), was no longer allowed to go to live rolling with the blue and purple belts (some were saddened by this because throws are fun)

There's a bit of a bias towards GB being shit because of the Gracie name but some have really good instruction and involved black belt coaches and some don't. I've seen the same with other big affiliates but because they don't have the Gracie name associated with them they get less shit.

Leave bulking to when you have a clear competitive goal. If you're just training 6 hours a week you surely have more things to improve than your bench.

It's bjj m8, you could probably find shady stuff associated with all big affiliates because Brazilians are shady AF.

Weightlifting Really made a difference for bjj. I know its wrong but i find myself holding my guards way better because of my strength and can get a surprise hold because of explosivity

Best way to lift for Greco-Roman Wrestling, bjj, and boxing?

Except when the "governing body" is literally the same corporation.

I mean I speak Spanish very well, and they still sound good to me.

My trainer was a pro at 16 in Mexico fighting grown men and he's in his 40s now and is in real good mental shape.

But then you look at a guy like Brandon Rios, and shit that dude will have a long, tough road ahead of him

>dislocate shoulder and tear rotator cuff in BJJ practice
>be stuck in arm sling for 6 weeks and told absolutely no physical activity involving my arm
>coach & upper level students angry at me
>harassing me on facebook
>added me to a "BJJ quitters" group on facebook where the coach posts memes of all the people who quit and makes fun of them

Kinda wanna kill myself 2bh fampais

What a fucking cunt seriously. This guy is a jerk. Why the fuck is he even angry at you ? You didn't choose to get injured.

Bastards. That's how you know you've been attending a bad school, user.

Boxing will be useless when you face my gang of leather clad grapplers, roaming the wastelands hunting for holes to fill

This can't be true. How much of a faggot would you have to be to insult someone who is legitimately injured?

A place near me is offering krav maga lessons.

Is that a meme martial arts, or is it something j should take classes on?

I went last thursday to ym first "boxing" class.

The instructor tells me boxing is full that insted i should try BJJ, i see no one in the box ring or sacks but ok.

Warm up:
40 jumping jacks
40 pushups, 40 sqwats
40 hip bridges and some neck exercises

3 series of this without rest....WTF

Practiced 2 movements with sweaty and smelly people, thank god i stretched my internal rotators some months ago or now i would have had my infraespinaturs torn again.
3 days with rotator cuff "doms"

To end the class 1 last serie of the 40 shit above.

How does people really like BJJ? Full homo martial art.

I hope on Monday i can do some Muay or boxing isntead.

Real bjj classes have open sparring (also called rolling) as part of the class structure. But some won't let you in on sparring until you have the basic techniques down.
Hard to tell based on what you said.

Hahahhaha
>KRAV MAGA
its literally
>when he does this i do this

ey, plity big faggoto, daniel-san

Jesus christ wtf i hope you are b8ing

To be fair, many schools spend a load of time doing fit routines and shit, before properly training techniques related to the ma. At least you didn't mention anything about running in circles around the dojo or something. Sometimes is legit because you need some amount of physical resistance to sustain the sparring and go through a real life fight. Sometimes is just filler, and a warning sign.

If you spend more two thirds on the class doing cardio rather than sparring (or no sparring at all), then you should question the validity of the place where you're training at.