Been lifting for about a week. How do I bench with no spot without worrying about accidentally killing myself?

Been lifting for about a week. How do I bench with no spot without worrying about accidentally killing myself?

Learn roll of shame
Don't put clips on the bar

No clip on bar.... Done

Floor press

Use dumbbells

Bench in a cage or with a set up that has safety bars.

... Safety bars that don't have a gap right above your neck.

Not putting clips on the bar is a good way to kill the person next to you if you fail. Trust me, I've seen it happen. Guy incline benching 2 plates without clips, and his weakside failed, sending the barbell slamming down to the other side, slammed into the bench next the bench he was using. If anyone was walking in between the bench or using that bench at the time they would of had been hit by the bar at full force. The safety clips are there for a fucking reason, you're a fucking liability if you don't use them.

If you're failing a bench, you should learn how to properly program your lifts, and if you're too retarded to do that, at least bench in a rack that has safety spotter arms that will catch the weight if you fail.

this

Anyone have that webm?

this

I never think I'll fail though, the adrenaline will make you push through that last rep
I've only had once where I got stuck, no idea if I could get it up but some guy just helped me anyways

>if you're failing bench you should learn how to properly program your lifts

What is setting a new max
What is progressive overload

Fucking kill yourself retard and stop trying to tell people what to do

If you're failing at a bench, you're not benefiting your ability to progressively overload, if anything you're taking steps backwards.

>did a roll of shame without clips on the bar
>a plate fell off one side causing an imbalance
>wasn't expecting it
>all the weight on the other side quickly shoots down and send the other side flying up
>snaps my wrist awkwardly

Luckily made a full recovery in 2 months

Don't roll of shame without clips.

This. Also help even out masturbation arm size.

Don't go super heavy.

What the fuck are you talking about?
In an attempt to progressively overload you will inevitably fail your lifts at some point in which case you deload and start over

Roll of shame =/= dumping the weight over the side

Does the limited arm movement cause the chest muscles to be worked more? I have floor presses at home with light dumbbells and I didn't feel worked like I do when I bench heavy at the gym.

>If you're failing at a bench, you're not benefiting your ability to progressively overload, if anything you're taking steps backwards.
The dude isn't saying OP should fail EVERY TIME or even most of the time, but if you've never failed a rep ever, you're not pushing yourself.

Also your story is shit and entirely untrue, and here's how I know:

Unless your gym is run by people as dumb as you, there should be enough clearance to do this little thing we in the industry like to call an actual fucking rep. If the bar tips to one side and hits something, that something is way too close.

Let's imagine how close a rack or bar would have to be to a bench to be hit by someone tipping over, even leaning towards that side.

Yeah, not happening.

Now I can maybe, possibly see one side falling off and then the idiot completely letting go and the bar flipping over with momentum, but that is really far-fetched.

>I never think I'll fail though

Spot the DYEL

You shouldn't fail a rep.

You're either a DYEL newbie, or a elite level powerlifter/olympic lifter in a competition. Now which one are you? I doubt it's the elite level competitor..

-Don't use clips. worst case scenario dump the weight
-Don't use weight you can't rep out, know your strength
-Use DBs or cable machine

Lift for longer than a week.

No he is right, you can make progress just fine training @9RPE with a couple back up sets after your main ones for dat dere extra fatigue, and is also safer because your form doesnt break down like with max attempts.

Once you are experienced enough you can tell by feel if your form is gonna break down. Before then, learn roll of shame clips or no clips. It doesn't really hurt much, I've done it with weights around 3plate in the past, just a hassle setting up again.

>rest your head at the edge of the bench where your neck is right under the rack
>bar movement should be right above your upper ab/under the chest
>if you fail hip it thrust up until have enough space to push it forward so it can can roll it off your stomach
>gently reverse deadlift it down and go to a different gym for a week

At my uni gym they have workers that walk around and mandate clips on all barbell lifts. I normally just ask the other lonely people there for spots on my amrap sets and everyone has been nice about it.

you must become one with your body.

you must understand your limits.

know your strength.

learn to channel your "might fail this last rep, need some bongo mongo mental rage right now, hooooooooooooOOOOEEEEEEEEEEE BAAAABAAAY" burst energy.

>tfw approached by the clips inspector and you forgot your barbell license at home

It's not embarrassing if you don't look like you lift. Roiders are out of luck.

That has absolutely nothing to do with his statement that you should never fail a rep on progressive overload

I don't understand how so many people find this an issue.

I've never had a spot and it never hurt my benching. A few times as a starter I've had to set the bar down on the lower part of the handle because I tried to push it too far but that hasn't happened in ages.

basically this. relying on a spot just makes it so you don't get to learn your own strenght.

Look around
Find a pretty decently built guy
"Hey man can I get a spot."
Do lift.

Oh fuck never even though about this. Thank user. Been benching without clips and never rolled of shame. Shit man thanks for the save.

just don't use clips and ditch the weights to one side if you're in a situation that requires the roll?

tbph I've never seen anyone use clips on a bench press

Use dumbells. Barbell bench is overrated. I only do it like once a month when my gym nemesis is benching to show him he's small

dumbells

Roll of shame is the best way imo. Gently drop it to your chest and roll it down your body, sit up and get that shit off you.

/thread
Why was thus even a thread

>going to a random stranger
>expecting them to stand next to you for 10+ minutes to provide a service you don't even need
>for free
how can someone think this is acceptable or realistic?

Pretty much.

Aww user, are you upset that no one has asked you to spot them? It's okay, maybe lifting will make you more approachable =^)

Just do weights that are you are comfortable with, if you can't push harder than give up on the set.

>10 minutes
Da fuq, are you lifting the bar to failure? Who the f*g takes 10 minutes to complete a single set?

Only have them spot you for your one heavy set. Unless youre still on 5x5 in that case if you can do two spotted then you can do the rest.

they have and it was awkward
luckily it's been years

>for your one heavy set
>still on 5x5
implying 5x5 "expires" at some point

I dont think you understood what I wrote.

5x5 across with spotter-worthy weight kind of does. Once you're out of beginner gains 5x5 workouts are almost universally ramping to one heavy set or done for volume with a manageable weight.

Taking a beginner program this far.

>never change Veeky Forums

I understood but doing 5 sets of 5 reps on the bench doesn't mean you're doing SS or SL5x5

>not putting clips on the bar

neck yourself, seriously. My phone got crushed due to some wannabe cunt doing that. Just use the safety rails, or actually lift weight you're comfortable with. Not happy with that? Get a fucking spot.

Refer to this user

so if I'm doing 5x5 with 100kg across are you saying I should start adding weight on the last set or two? or ramp up so I'm adding weight throughout? because I know I can do 5 reps of 110 (though not sure about if after 4 sets) but I doubt I can do 5 reps at any higher so should I start taking weight off at the beginning just to reach that "ramp"?

see what I've been doing is I pick a weight then I work it up to 5x5. so really I'm doing more like 5xf with the exception of stopping at 5.

like right now I can do 5x5 cleanly at 100kg (and occasionally drop back to it if I feel like it that day) but really what I'm working with right now is 110kg which currently goes something like this:
5,5,4,4,3 (so really it's 5,5,f(4),f(4),f(3))
and I keep doing it until I reach that 5x5. then I go up 10kg.

I've been doing this for a while (started at 70kg) and I've been getting gains and obviously my strenght has increased so I think it's working. but you would recommend I change from this to a workout where I keep adding on weight during the exercise? is it really that different from what I described?

Ask a fellow bencher for a spot while he's between sets. But to be honest the "lift or die" scenario motivates me to push through harder, while a spotter might encourage me to slack off. Otherwise roll of shame.

It's called the dumbell bench press.

>get a rack/cage with safety bars
>buy bench press safety stands

Or, if you are cheap:

>buy a pair of adjustable saw hourses (pic related)

you should never lift heavy without a spotter.

it takes years to learn what your body is capable of strength wise. Until you know I would suggest not trying to lift anything you can't pickup more than twice.

Simple rule:

If you cannot press it over head, don't bench press it.

troll post

Just ask someone you idiot.

You have to learn that the best bench sessions are the ones where you don't care if you live or die

Lift only when you have safety bars

Seriously.

Bench pressing is the #1 common source of accidents in the gym.

troll post

How do you do something if you don't believe you can?
Deep inside I know I can probably fail but I just push through, thankfully the bench has 2 things where you can put the bar, the one that is at normal height and a lower one which I dont know what is it for but it seems its to bail out

if you just started you won't be using enough weight to kill yourself with.

false grip bruh trust me you'll be mad strong and never fail a rep

Get a spotter then, you worthless idiot.