DIET THREAD

Give me your rundown/opinion on the following diets:
1. Whole food vegan (ala YT: NutritionFacts, Dr. Michael Greger): He swears this diet is THE single best diet ever studied and cures everything from heart disease to diabetes, but with a lot of detractors from the Keto camp.
2. Ketogenic: High fat, low carb... people say this diet will make you the healthiest possible and lean forever, but hated by vegans and a lot of other people.
3. Intermittent fasting/One meal a day (ala YT: OMAD Revolution): a whole food, plant based with litttle meat diet that will supposedly give you the best health possible, although with somewhat reduced energy levels for extenous excercise.
4. YOUR alternative diet.

Please let's keep it serious.

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/improving-on-the-mediterranean-diet/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-mediterranean-diet-or-a-whole-food-plant-based-diet/
nutritionfacts.org/video/olive-oil-and-artery-function/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8327020
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4191896/table/T5/
mccallum-layton.co.uk/tools/statistic-calculators/confidence-interval-for-mean-calculator/#confidence-interval-for-mean-calculator
veganhealth.org/articles/ss
lmgtfy.com/?q=TDEE
peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Vegetarian.aspx
examine.com/nutrition/will-eating-eggs-increase-my-cholesterol
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

4. I do paleo but include some dairy. I'm sure it's memes but it makes me feel pretty fucking great so I keep with it.

What's the rationale for paleo being a good diet? Isn't it arbitrarily restrictive and cherry picking to have a "hunter gatherer" diet when hose hunther gatherers went for long periods wothout consuming that much meat? Why not a more plant based diet (going back further in our evolutionary timeline)?

Bump

My diet helped me cut almost 100 pounds (from 260 to 165).
Eat what you fucking want.
Just do it in smaller portions. Fad diets are garbage. I still go out to eat daily, the difference is I actually watched the number of calories.
Cut out soda (swapped it for diet). Only got 2 burritos instead of 4 and then I ate them MUCH more slowly (for some reason it made me feel fuller). Still ate pizza, only now I got a small instead of a large.
Also went walking everyday on my treadmill. Started out just walking for 12 minutes. That was it. Then slowly increased it by 1 minute a week. Just 1 minute longer every week. Never running (bad joints), just walking at 4 mph (started at 2 mph).
Now I'm a sexual tyrannosaurus.

By comparison my friend who also started dieting the same time I did went with the 'soup and almonds' diet. He DID lose the weight faster than me. No denying that. He went from about 300 down to 190.
BUT after a year he is right back to where he was before. Where as I have kept the weight off because I didn't change my entire life.

>Only got 2 burritos instead of 4

FOUR SC...BURRITOS, C'MON

I'm on the See-Food Diet.

I see food, I eat it.

25kgs up strong af

1. Vegan diet is ok, really. I just find it unnecessary and frustrating. What we know for a certainity that anatomically modern humans evolved eating meat, and relied on it for their survival. It makes no sense for people to die of it. We must have evolved to tolerate meat.
2. Horseshit. Will lead you to an early grave.
3. One meal a day? Sounds retarded.

Just eat a balanced diet. Mediterranean is the best. Olive oil is the bulking agent of the gods. Many non-expensive and decent sources of plant protein exist; beans, nuts etc. People just eat too much meat, which indeed can fuck you up. Eat your fucking vegetables and fruits. And eat your fucking fish.

You don't have to eat loads of meat to do paleo. People tend to mistake paleo for ketomemes, but there's nothing in the paleo philosophy that prevents you eating 90% greens, nuts and tubers.

>serious thread in Veeky Forums
>no replies

1. good
2. hello heart disease
3. meme
4. diet high in grains, starches fruits vegs, with some fish and little meat

>that anatomically modern humans evolved eating meat
modern humans evolved eating mainly fruit with some meat here and there

i do keto to cut since it helps with cravings and im a fat fuck with no willpower. most of my proteins come from fish and chicken breast, and my fats are plant based mono/polyunsaturated fats

will i still die early?

But, do you activate your almonds?

Incorrect. Many if not most primates eat fruit. Eating meat and learning to cook meat allowed for calorie dense food with little chewing needed. Thus, big jaw muscles were no longer needed and space became available for a bigger brain to develop. This is taught in all anthropology and biology classes. One cannot live on a mostly fruit diet.

why don't you try them out yourself
no diet is perfect for each individual. you have to find the diet that WORKS WITH YOUR BODY

source

>.What we know for a certainity that anatomically modern humans evolved eating meat, and relied on it for their survival. It makes no sense for people to die of it. We must have evolved to tolerate meat.
>People just eat too much meat, which indeed can fuck you up

Unfortunately, evolution doesn't care if you develop alzheimers at 80 or die of a heart attack at 60. All that matters is that you live long enough to pass on your genes.

>Just eat a balanced diet. Mediterranean is the best.

Mediterranean is great, but it can be improved upon

nutritionfacts.org/video/improving-on-the-mediterranean-diet/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-mediterranean-diet-or-a-whole-food-plant-based-diet/
nutritionfacts.org/video/olive-oil-and-artery-function/

>Ketogenic: High fat, low carb... people say this diet will make you the healthiest possible and lean forever,
Why is it ok on fit to say "carbs makes you fat" but not "fat makes you fat"?

>What we know for a certainity that anatomically modern humans evolved eating meat

Our brains evolved on starch aka potatoes

Excuse the anecdote, but personally, I've found that water weight flies off when I do low carb, and when I elevate fat content, satiety increases, and once a certain threshold has been hit, my systen evacuates rather quickly on a high fat diet. I know I'm not absorbing all that fat when my shit has an oil slick on it. For me, carbs suck up a lot of water, and make me sluggish. I do eat extra rice on lift days, and low to moderate carbs on workin days so I don't die (construction worker), but on weekends, I do mostly small portions of fatty meat and lots of veggies to keep water weight in check. My arthritis has decreased quite a bit and I can stay functional better this way.

>alzheimers at 80
Source on vegans having lower rates of dementia compared to meat eaters plz

When you eat carbs, what kind of foods do you eat?

>Breakfast: Oatmeal
>Lunch: Grilled chicken salad
>Dinner: Hamburger Helper

Will I make it?

This one found 3x higher risk in meat eaters, while in vegetarians, the longer they ate vegetarian the lower their risk was (2.19 compared to 2.99 for long-term vegetarians)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8327020

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8327020

Did they break down meat into categories or just lump it all in one?

>Adventists

What's your take on AHS-2 finding no significant correlation with meat eaters vs vegetarians and deaths from neurological causes?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4191896/table/T5/

Vegetarian women looked about the same but vegetarian men did have a significant decrease compared to non-veg

Isn't a confidence interval of (0.53–1.40) non-significant?

Fad diets are never serious

mccallum-layton.co.uk/tools/statistic-calculators/confidence-interval-for-mean-calculator/#confidence-interval-for-mean-calculator

Unless I'm using this thing wrong, which I probably am, it hits .01

No idea, but i'd rather stick with the authors stat tests

>See:
In addition to the rates, there has to be a test to determine if the rates are different enough not to be due merely to random chance (also known as statistical significance). Statistical significance for a disease rate is usually expressed by way of a 95% confidence interval (CI). This is done by giving a lower and upper limit for the interval. If 1.00 does not fall between the two numbers (i.e., within the interval), then the finding is significant and not due to random chance.

Example 1:

.85 (.75, .95)

The finding is statistically significant because 1.00 falls outside the 95% CI.

Example 2:

.85 (.65, 1.05)

The finding is not statistically significant because 1.00 falls inside the 95% CI.

veganhealth.org/articles/ss

What if you care about your health and not just weight loss, fatty?

>1. Whole food vegan (ala YT: NutritionFacts, Dr. Michael Greger): He swears this diet is THE single best diet ever studied and cures everything from heart disease to diabetes

The guy is a paid PETA shill. who always claims fantastic things from veganism in the hopes thag people will be dazzled by his degree and bullshit and not dig too deeply. Honestly he's a fucking menace, leading the ignorant to adopting a diet that's VERY difficult for a normal to do in a healthy way, let alone in a way that will help serious medical problems.

>2. Ketogenic: High fat, low carb... people say this diet will make you the healthiest possible and lean forever

I tried it, and didn't like it. I smelled like crap, the "keto flu" never dissipated, and it was impossible to get enough veggies for me to feel right. If you need a fast cut or have seizures then it has its uses, but overall it's overrated severely.

>3. Intermittent fasting/One meal a day (ala YT: OMAD Revolution): a whole food, plant based with litttle meat diet that will supposedly give you the best health possible, although with somewhat reduced energy levels for extenous excercise.

Intermittent fasting isn't supposed to be vegan or one meal a day unless you want it to be. It's literally a normal diet, just you eag only during a certain window. And you aren't going to be able to get enough protein from one vegan meal, I promise you. It's not bad, I sometimes skip breakfast and just have lunch and dinner so I feel more sated, but I have no energy until lunch so it's a mixed bag.

My personal diet is IIFYC, but not in the way of "cheeseburgers and ice cream all the time". I eat mostly whole foods, but if I have a beer or dessert occasionally then I just factor it in without stressing too hard. I still want to live life so I'm not going to arbitrarily restrict myself from enjoying things with others.

1. Would call this Whole Food Plant Based diet, without referencing veganism. The diet isn't trying to be vegan, it just so happens to be. The diet is purely based on scientific evidence, not trying to fit into some moral or ethical framework. Greger mentions this viewpoint in his book and no longer tries to refer to the diet as vegan. A diet consisting of beer and potato chips is vegan, but terribly unhealthy.
2. Mainly guys that want to be cavemen or some romanticized primal wannabe shit because they think it's masculine. Cherry picks outdated and bad science in support.
3. Doesn't make sense to eat this way from an evolutionary perspective. Could argue for it to be bad as well since it forces you to eat calorie dense food if you are going to cram it all in in one meal. A large portion of your food should come from low calorie but micronutrient rich foods like leafy greens and fruit. This guy seemed more concerned with weight loss though, not optimal nutrition.
4. I follow Greger's Whole Food Plant Based diet.

>The guy is a paid PETA shill.
I looked and can't seem to find any evidence to back this up, do you have sources to support this claim?

Some reply to him please.

I think you're confusing Keto and Pleo, which are definetly not the same thing

I consume whatever I want but try to keep calories at 1500 or less and walk my dog for about an hour most days

In general if I keep it up for even just 5 or so days I seem to lose two pounds a week, so I've been leisurely losing weight for about a year but could have lost the 27 pounds I have shed probably in three or so month if I had stuck hard and fast to this diet instead of erratically starting and stopping again

Obvious vegan Samefag is obvious.

Must have not looked that hard. Vegans gonna veg.

Isn't the olive oil mostly evaporated when cooking? How do you count it?

He works for the humane society,

Find another diet to reverse the number one killer in the US (heart disease) then we can talk

1. This kills the man. No, srsly, unhealthy as fuck. Do your research
2. Amazing. You can see the fat dropping day by day and after a few days you feel a boost in energy. It's not manageable in the long run though.
3. Very good, but it's better combined with keto. Very useful to keep your insulin sensivity on check.
4. 35/45/20 protein/carbs/fat at TDEE, +20% if bulking, -20% if cutting. No refined sugars ever. No refined flours ever. No trans fat ever. Works like a charm.

Bump for dieting adviceWhats TDEE? Explain youtpr macros (are they for lifting?) Your rationale for the refined things....

Also, on the OMAD diet, this guy "OMAD Revolution" is mostly vegan but eats meat here and there. He has a very good video explaining why we need some meat and restricting any one food group is bad.

Please explain why the whole food plant basd (Dr. Greger's diet) is so bad for us. Thanks in advance.

lmgtfy.com/?q=TDEE

>Your rationale for the refined things

Insulin spikes.

As for that meme diet, I hope you and are bait. I hope you are not that deluded. As I said, do your research.

I'm the same guy on both. Guess I'll do my research.

How come vegan centenarians in Loma Linda still die of heart disease? Were they not vegan enough?

I guess at a 100 years old heart disease is expected.

How much fat are you getting?

but don't they adjust for age?

Trying to get away from the fit memes and bro-science, actuallly looking into what would lead to long term health based on actual studies and some knowledge of nutrition...

I went whole food plant based about 3 years ago. No refined sugars, no added oils, no refined flours, no meat, dairy, eggs, etc.

Was difficult at first, until I developed a good list of recipes, figured out how to get all my micronutrients, got good at cooking, got over my initial cravings for sugar and dairy. Probably took a couple months of consistency before it got easy. I lost some weight, but that might have just been a reduction in overall calories. After the first couple months, I had a lot more energy, but that may have been due to getting more exercise around that time.

Overall, been working great for me, better than anything else I have tried. Don't know if it is the ideal, but all the memes against it (muh protein, how do you get vitamin X, you gotta take 26 supplements, you'll be tired and underfed, you can't build muscle mass, etc) have all been bullshit.

Also started intermittent fasting about a year ago. Haven't noticed a ton of benefit. Mainly it's just simpler, since I don't eat breakfast (haven't seen any detriment from this), and mostly just eat by the same formula for 8 hours per day. Also, I don't really get hunger cravings outside of those hours anymore, so it may be good for appetite control.

going vegan doesn't make you immune to heart disease, it just eliminates some of the biggest risk factors. Your heart is still human, and you will still fuck it up over time. Also, the knowledge of how omega 3/omega 6 ratio effects heart health is relatively recent. Plenty of vegans get too much 6 and not enough 3, though that is easy to fix if you know what to look for.

Any advice on how to 75g of protein every day?
Some pointers would be appreciated because I'm starting to lift, but I'm clueless with what to do for diet.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Assuming you're replying to the vegan posts above yours, since it's easy to get protein from meat...

switch some of your grains to more protein-heavy pseudograins, like amaranth and quinoa.

Add a ton of green veggies. Spinach and broccoli are pretty high in protein per calorie.

Add lentils and beans in moderate amounts, nuts and seeds in small amounts. Some mushrooms are also pretty high in protein.

Just about any plant you look at is going to be higher in carbs (or fat, in the case of nuts/seeds) than protein, but you can still eat high protein on a vegan diet.

If you're not going whole foods, there's plenty of vegan protein powders out there made from things like hemp, rice, or soy proteins.

I wasn't replying to the vegan, but thanks for the pointers anyway.

Never tried Keto specifically, but I have gone low carb for a couple of months before. I was tired and had brain fog pretty much the whole time.

Also, without a significant amount of plants, it's hard to get enough of necessary nutrients without eating organ meat, which grosses me out.

>Your heart is still human
Not after what she did to me :'(

>
> Why not a more plant based diet (going back further in our evolutionary timeline)?

Word. I follow a strictly phagocytosis diet because fuck that new fangled mastication fad.

Harvard Anthropology 101 course

>Our brains evolved on starch aka potatoes

Perhaps yours did. That would explain your stupidity.

How is keto? I kind of want to do it i'm having trouble breaking this plateau im at.

Generic bodybuilder diet best
Eat meat, rice, vegetables, healthy fats
Track food until its second nature
Drink lots of water
EZ

How can someone NOT get 75g protein a day?

>Bump

I've gone vegetarian 9-10 months ago.

I'm doing it primarily for health reasons. Vegetarians and vegans have lower risk of heart disease and clogged arteries.

I'm already into bodybuilding (steroids) so I'm hoping to mitigate some of the damage through diet.

I'm quiet happy hitting my macros through a vegetarian diet alone. Supplementing with whey protein isolate twice a day.

Is there anything I"m missing from not having meat?

123 no
eat whatever you want, hit your macros and stick to your daily kcal intake
this isn't rocket science

Be used to three meals per day.

lol vegans

Sexual T-Rex coming through

>plant eaters have lower testosterone

peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Vegetarian.aspx

kek.

>lower risk of heart disease and clogged arteries

examine.com/nutrition/will-eating-eggs-increase-my-cholesterol

>hypersensitives

are the ones who most likely get bad effects from meat things

If you arent one, you can eat much. Much more.

Im vegan, I only eat 1 or 2 huge meals a day, works the best for me. Pic related is what I had this morning 2800 cal 155 protons