Cardio General

No /run/ thread? Let's make it a bit more general and include other forms of cardio as well. Swimming, cycling, hiking, whatever else do you like doing?
Did you run today? Cycle to work? Swim? Just went for a walk?

Other urls found in this thread:

breakingmuscle.com/endurance-sports/endurance-training-is-bad-for-your-heart
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27580452
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24042311
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
youtube.com/watch?v=_1o9XNxi4Us
startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Calling upon marathon guy from yesterday's /run/ thread, or someone who combines long distance running with lifting.
How many times per week do you guys lift? I'm trying to get into half marathons, but I'm having some difficulty fitting lifting in.

I was jogging in the mountains last weekend and took a new path with a bit more of an incline then I could handle and almost fell off the side of the mountain. Luckily a barbed wire post caught me. Good times

I just read that cardio can damage your heart wtf guys :( breakingmuscle.com/endurance-sports/endurance-training-is-bad-for-your-heart how legit is this?

turf toe so no cardio for me
feels bad man

Do you run marathons and train marathons lengths often? If not then you're good.
Using your body to the extreme is usually bad in any way, but most people don't do it.

Just ran 5.5k, inclines 1 through 4 (mainly 2-4). Fucked shoulder so can't lift properly, gotta make do with hunter-gatherer gainz methods

Newbie runner, this week is four workouts of 2.25 miles. Did #3 yesterday and later today will be the last one for the week.

Anything done excessively is probably not good for you. Big surprise. But taking "competitive marathoners" as an excuse not to do cardio is plain silly.
However, don't train when you have a cold. There's a fair bit of research that shows you have a good chance to infect your heart if you do so.

I ran too much after a 2 month break - now my Achilles tendon hurts. The weather is nice, I want to go out, but I can't. Sucks

.Jealous.

I've got two little kids, one in school. If I didn't exercise every time I had the sniffles I'd never get out.

I'm about to go to the eliptical machine because I smoked and drink yesterday and my lungs feels so full. Good thing I stopped smoking everyday.
It's a misleading article with clear biais. He is obviously an HIIT shill.
Most people that run don't stay at marathon's level all their lives. Even less hit a "competitive marathon level".
Soon he'll post an article titled "A study found that getting hit in the head during a boxing match hurt" and rant about how our hunter gatherer didn't have gloves so they'd hurt their hands before getting a concussion or whatever.

I'm dong C25k and it's couch day.

I like cycling a lot. The problem is I'm already turning into godzilla mode, huge legs twig arms. Been cycling and lifting for about a year and a half, but I my arms just keep getting smaller and smaller. Feels bad man, I dont want to stop cycling, I like it way too much.

Done a 30 minute build run last night, and a 2 mile interval training run on Monday night.

Have a 3 mile run tomorrow, last week I set a new PB at 26'15 so I'm going to ease off and aim for around 26'30 as I've had a really trying week, I set a new 1 rep max on Bench yesterday morning, and I'm hoping to set a new max on deadlifts today.

Just one of those weeks I guess.

I have the perfect solution for that !

JHC, people should be credentialed in research methodology before commenting or utilizing studies.
>b...b....but marathoners who do more tgan one marathon a year show scar tissue and a...a...are unhealthy
>I am going to take the most extreme examples and use it for my argument to shill my ideology that cardio endurance is bad for you even though no one reading this article are that type. Remember, cardio kills gains!

Yeah, and lifting damages your muscles. Yet, like the heart, muscle, in cardio, it adapts and gets stronger. Who would have thought?

Did the second day of C25K this morning

Last time I felt nauseous for most of it because I was a retard and didn't eat for 16 hours beforehand, this time I ate like a normal person and it felt much better.

Fellow ellipticalfag reporting in. Love it. Not as glamorous as running, biking, climbing, swimming, but damn can you put in a great workout in a short time.

Used to prefer running but once I started lifting heavy found I couldn't lift and run (on alternate days) without bothering my knees.

I actually stopped training legs because the strain on my legs was too much and I had shitty runs and shitty leg days.
I dunno why but eliptical seems easier and at the same time once you pick up the pace a bit you can feel it. Great endurance training for legs imo even if it puts some strain on my knee running doesn't

Girl in pics is #girlfriendgoals

Still waiting...I really want to see the resulting body from your hard training marathon training girl.

Body goals oh wow, please share your routine?

Save picture off 4chanx1
It ain't me but she is pretty much perfect. I don't know the sauce (or if it exists) since it's a selfie

Damn, thought I'd get to know the secrets to my perfect body ideal :(

Anyone have any idea on what it would take to get this figure? Lots of cardio, sure, but I have no idea on how to get that low bf%...

From experience it looks like a martial art body.
Savate girls in my gym looks like this. Good but thin core, low body fat and small tiddies.
Also no loose skin as it's France and all girls are skinny so when they start doing sports they look absolutely lovely.

God damn it France and your superior genes. Are there any Veeky Forums approved martial arts? I did boxing for a while until my trainer moved away.

More like a culinary culture that's very light in portion actually. Although it changed for the past 15 years French girls still are very thin.
Depend on your goal. For being thin like the girl I'd recommend any athletic martial arts like boxing/kickboxing and savate. Not fond of MT for girls. It's nice but destroy your legs. Covered in bruises and dead skin.
Wrestling is good and athletic but too much upperbody strenght.
BJJ is great as a martial art but much more technical than athletic.
Boxing is perfectly fine hower.

the fuck happened to the last thread, surely it didn't 404 within 2 hours

Swimming: patrician tier workout
Cycling: patrician tier mode of transportation, wouldn't do it only as a workout though
Running: shit tier workout, enjoy getting artificial knee caps when you're 40

Swimming : boring lap bullshit or interesting lake/river poisoning bullshit
Cycling : Wow I'm sure happy to have burned a whole 30 calories after my 10 hours workout
Running : Greek philosopher tier. The greatest heroes ran and ran more. A staple of human athleticism and translate a lot into most sports. Good variety of activities for a minimal investment. Requires only willpower. No excuse for the lazy.

Look nigger I hate running but I can play this game as well. Don't be fat and your kneecaps will be good.

I'd maybe swim instead of run but swimming is really expensive if you don't have a river nearby and the chlorine is awful for you.

Sometimes you can get lucky. Many pools in my area have a season pass. If you go often, you don't pay a lot per entry.
Some also have a discount if you get a ticket that's good for 10 entries, and some have a "happy hour" card - 50 entries, but you can only enter the pool before 9am or after 6pm (you can leave after 9am if you want to, though).

I prefer cycling over running (though I do both). You just get to see more if you have a radius of 50km instead of only 5 or so. Plus, there's no real equivalent to going downhill fast. or leaning into corners.

>enjoy getting artificial knee caps when you're 40
Found the wimp who is afraid of cardio.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27580452
>the effect of covariates such as sex, age, mass, and height was more important in this relationship.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24042311
>However, runners do not have an especially high risk of osteoarthritis compared with nonrunners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>appears that long-distance running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis of the knees and hips for healthy people who have no other counterindications for this kind of physical activity. Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration.

Stop spreading misinformation, work on your form, and do your cardio.

So guys I want to do more cardio and havent run in forever. Last time I was running I ran a 3k or so but that was when I was less fit and ~20lbs heavier so I guess I could run a 5k right now.

Should I start with Couch to 5k regardless or go right into some more advanced stuff ? If so do I really have to start at Week 1 for C25k or should I skip the first few weeks ?

Yes. Do it. The main concern is preventing injury. C25K paces workouts in schedules so you can build it up without injury. You maybe able to skip the first few weeks. Give it a try and see how you feel. If you experience any problems, rest and regress down one week.

I guess it would be best to start small you are right. Honestly what is kinda holding me back from doing C25k is the fast that I think it is kinda ridiculous for a fit guy (2.5y working out, decent bf%) to walk around every couple of meters.

I run M-Sat, and do the start bodyweight routine MWF. I find that bodyweight stuff does a good job of providing mild strength gains with a very small risk of injury/soreness.

>used to think the stationary bikes at the gym were useless
>have my own bike so just used it to commute 15 minutes a day, went running for main cardio but kinda hated it because LISS feels pointless and takes too much time, while HIIT messed with legs day recoveries
>bike gets stolen
>I start using the stationary bike and discover you can do intense low-impact high-resistance HIIT programs in just five minutes after a workout
shit changed my life desu
the most underrated tool in a gym

THis is also a form of HIIT you can do more than twice a week since it's fairly low-impact, I feel it's good for optimal test production

youtube.com/watch?v=_1o9XNxi4Us

Your ego can go wild when you run. You'll feel great and think it won't hurt to do some extra miles. It's those types of thoughts that get you injured. It's why C25K is structed on time instead of distance.

Thanks m8. What kind of BW stuff do you do? Also, what are some good supplements for running and what should I avoid?

makes sense, which pace should I aim for when running ? how many min/km would be good ?

Is it cool to run on the treadmill?

startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html

I can only speak for myself, but I drink two cups of milk with a scoop of whey protein post run. I think in general the most important thing is to make sure you're getting enough calories. (I generally eat a high carb diet as well.) I don't think any other supplements or whatever would really be necessary.

Run at a pace that you could have a conversation with someone else at. It's likely going to feel frustratingly slow, but that's the zone where you actually make cardio gains. If you feel ridiculous running slowly/walking (understandable tbqh) try to go find a time/place to go running with few people around.

It's better to run outside, but if you're like me and have to go for a 40 minutes ride for any decent trail because your neighbour hood is in constant renovation then do so. Better than nothing but the treadmill is not a great tool if you begin as it makes you way too conscious of your pace.

Thanks man. I really want to get back into running, but I don't want to lose too much size and strength either. Did you lose a lot of strength or size when you switched to BW stuff?

I'm a hungry skellington so I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. I've always been thin, but I've noticed since I've been doing this routine and running I look a bit more toned compared to when I was just running.

I can run 5ks and am planning on upping that to 10k. However, while looking for some hints to do that, apparently I should be able to hold a conversation while running?! No way I can do that, is it really necessary?

So just came back from my first run in over a year, doing pretty much no cardio in that time. I ran 3.6km with a pace of slighlty under 6min/km. I think I could've run a 5k but didnt want to push it on the first run.

How fast du you guys think the progression will be and how good is my pace ? Would love to run a fast 5k eventually.

I'm starting out running, and I've been doing it barefoot on a treadmill at home. Am I fucking up? Naturally I'd wear running shoes if I did this at the gym or outside, but it doesn't seem necessary for my own personal treadmill.

I play a lot of DDR. Like a 6-7 hour binge. Some people barely shuffle their feet but I put my whole body into the movement until I'm drenched in sweat and about to pass out lol. The music selection is perfect for getting you pumped.

I've been cycling for a couple of weeks. Pic related is my current goal... so far is killing me

Alright for BG i'm a newbie runner. My 5k is 27 minutes and i'm 220lbs/100kg so take that as a grain of salt. I've done boxing/savat for 2 years and lifiting for 4
What's actually important in runnning is time.
A good rule of thumb is time>distance>Speed
LISS will vastly improve your speed for short to middle distance. Don't do like me, trying to go for a sub 7min mile and then hitting a big wall.
It may seem slogggingly low at first bu it's absolutely more beneficial to you. My experience give that treadmill and tracks boost up your spped but trails boost up your endurance because of the context. Go for trails. If you have to take 5 minutes of walking in the middle it's worth it.
There are a lots of myths about bare footed running but from what I get, running barefeet force your to correct your running form. Like your bad form will be amplified tenfold while barefeeted so your body will quickly adapt to the stress on your back. But with good adapted shoes you'll run farther, longer, quicker and with less potential injuries due to environmental hazard.
Also in my experience treadmills might motivate you to go faster (because you have to keep up with the speed you set it up) but hardly translate into track or trails run. Take a slower paced music to help you with it. Eurobeat just pump you to go faster for like 6 minutes but you'll suffer afterwards.
I'm barely better than you. 5k is much intimidating than it's hard. The real problem is that it's long (at your current pace it'll be 30 minutes) but you should train lenght before distance. If anything running a 5k in 33 or 34 minutes is better than not running it at all. Take a lower pace and stick with it. 9km/h is good (use your GPS or landmarks) and stick with that speed depite feeling "fine", because it won't last once you hit higher BPM/speed, and you'll gas out and you'll stop before an objective, like me.

Pic looks like one of those bullshit meme shill graphs.

>Pretty lay out
>colourful
>NO CITATIONS BUT FANTASTIC CLAIMS!

HIIT has been known to be great for improving aspects of fitness but please link to credible sources from pubmed or reputable sports physiology journals for instance instead of posting crap like your image.

holy fuck you runfags are slow.

I rarely come to fit, but I ran XC at my HS and now im starting in college. I lost a lot of speed and shit, but I still can run 7min/mile pace for 10 miles.

Used to run marathons and shit not even half bad, tried a week ago for The first time in four years - had to stop after literally 300 metres _fucking depressing_ tbqh

Muscle memory my ass

I RECOGNIZE THAT PIC

Just bought running shoes, any tips on improving my condition with running? will be ski instructor coming winter so im trying to improve it

Bump

how often do you guys run marathon level distances?

>Wrestling is good and athletic but too much upperbody strenght.
??? you've obviously never wrestled before, unless all you did was greco

>

And everyone likes to talk up the Tabata protocol, but almost no one does it properly.

The key part from the protocol is that the high intensity portion be done at 170% of V02max.

Unless you have been tested for it, most people have no idea what their V02max is.
and no idea what 170% is

It is pretty much only correctly done cycling or running.

you cannot do a proper tabata workout doing crunches or pushups. not possible.

I'm doing my second one in a few weeks. I'm not doing another one after this. I just joined this one so I could motivate my sister. After this, I'm sticking to 16 miles max on my best days.

Keep at it. You'll eventually attain your goal. Good luck.

These threads make me feel bad. I've run between 2-4 times per week for years, but I rarely go above 4 miles and they tend to be between 8:30-9:00 minute paces. In my defense though, I do have asthma so it's harder for me - I ran a half marathon 3 years ago that took basically 6 months of intense training just to get ready for. Still though, I wish I could do what ya'll do.

BG: Lifted in a half-assed way in high school, hated cardio but wasn't utter shit at it.

Doing cardio as part of my weekly workout routine right now, but reading this thread is making me second guess my methods, and I think I'm going to drop the bike and elliptical for treadmill (and later on, fresh air).

How does one really get started with running? Mainly, how do I figure out what my pace should be starting out?

Don't be. Do what you can do. There's no shame is running lower distances as slower speed. Your pace is actually above average, and you do more than the average person.

>Mainly, how do I figure out what my pace should be starting out?
Run the fastest you can while holding a conversation.

Really? My breath control is kind of.. Shit.
That sounds like it would be too slow.

Or will my lung capacity get better as I run more often, for longer times/distances?

Thanks bro

Don't run more than 5 km at a time and you'll get all the health benefits without the drawbacks. And make sure to run for speed.

Marathons truly are shit though. Your body adapts but it still isn't healthy. You train and runs marathons because you want to run marathons, not for health benefits.