What were you taught about Italy in History classes?

What were you taught about Italy in History classes?

Etruscans, Romans, Germanics, City States, Reinassance, Spain, Unification, Fascism.

Where are you from?

Polish middle school and high school
>Etruscans
>Roman kingdom
>Roman republic - Punic wars and I century BC crisis
>Roman political systems, law, society, art, philosophy
>Roman empire - rise, conquests, spread of christianity, division, migrations, downfall
>Rise of church institutions and orders
>Papal conflict with emperor
>Reneissance - city-states, main persons, humanities, art, architecture, influence on my country
>Columbus and Vespucci
>Baroque art
>Napoleon's campaign in northern Italy (detailed because Polish legions participated)
>Unification of Italy - Carbonari, Cavour, Garibali's expedition, wars with Austria and France
>A mention of Italian front in ww1
>Rise of fascism - Disappointment with Versailles agreements, birth of fascist movement, Mussolini's march on Rome, invasion of Ethiopia and involvement in Spanish civil war
>Participation in ww2 - battle of France and North Africa
>Italian campaign - battle of Monte Cassino detailed because of huge role of Polish II corps there.
>A mention of leftist terrorism in post-war Italy
>Pope John Paul II
Something like that

A small bit about the Etruscans, then a lot about the Roman Empire, the decline, then not so much until the Renaissance era, but a lot about the rise of banking and the domination of Mediterranean trade and how that pushed countries like Spain and Portugal to go looking for a new route to the Orient.

A very little bit about Napoleon's campaign into Italy, Unification, and then WW2.

I'm from the U.S.

what do they say about italy in ww2?

Not much. Renaissance originated there with influence of Byzantium

That Mussolini's government was enormously unstable, (He would eventually be dismissed by the king), and because of it, he had to act in a somewhat "irrational" manner to prevent any of his ministers from getting powerful enough to challenge him. This in turn led to incredibly erratic policy, with deleterious effects on just about everything, but with the focus on the war, the military is of course the most illuminated example.

One of the anecdotes I remember from high school is how Italy attempted to attack Greece on their own before the Germans got involved. They actually lost some ground, with the Greeks advancing into Albania, and one of the major reasons for that is that on the eve of the invasion, Mussolini suddenly realized he was facing a labor shortage to bring in the harvest, so demobilized about a third of the troops in Albania to bring them back home to pull in the crops. Of course, postpoining (or worse, abandoning) the planned invasion would seem a sign of weakness, so it went ahead anyway, to the disaster we all know.

that's not the reason on why the invasion of greece failed
the general Carlo Visconti Prasca thought that it was a nice idea to attack a fully mobilized,well positioned army on the greek mountains with just 5 italian divisions

This, its like the Austrians deciding going through the mountains in Bosnia and Montenegro was a better idea than marching across the flat plains of Vojvodina and capturing Belgrade which was on their border

>roman empire
>renaissance
>musollini who allied with hitler

That's it.

lol in what kind of top tier history classes where you to learn about the fucking Etruscans? I was barely taught about Romans. A bit of fascism too, and that's it.

my history teacher was pretty based. taught us all about how the jews collapsed the roman empire and replaced all of the original nordic romans with arabs.

Trojans settled there and subjugated/genocided the italian savages.

>nordic romans

well, the ruling class at least. i guess probably a lot of the peasants weren't fully nordic but probably they were still closer to nordic than they are today.

I went to a private school in Berkeley. As might be expected, my history teacher taught about nothing other than the misdeeds of the American imperialist yankee sons-of-dogs.

But they did have a great class on archaeology which touched on Etruscan art.

In my school it was taught that Roman Empire was bad. This opinion was deeply conditioned into me and when I watched Gladiator where Romans = good, Savages = bad I felt confused.

Shitty meme country that sucks at war

I don't even know what's bait or not anymore
There's so many retards here

But never forget that blonde people in the Roman Empire were slaves and whores, and dont even try to post nazi propaganda or awful sources to prove me wrong because we already have their frescoes and writings proving this

>blonde people in the Roman Empire were slaves and whores
They were also citizens

The other way around Turk

Italians conquered Troy? There wasn't a Troy anymore greeks burnt it to the ground.

Italians were nordic des peoples Who were hired as mercenaries by Mycenaeans and other swarthy eastern meddoids because they brought new military technologies with them, most notably the cut and slash swords, its all been proven by Reinhard Jung

we only mentioned the nordic migration that formed the Roman Empire

I fucking triple z'd through my ap world history course but I fucking woke for the real shit ap us history so all I know is fuck spain

They wuz Romans. Then they wuz Renaissance. Then they wuz fascists. Nobody cares about the stuff in between.

romans until 13 yrs old, then you vanish until the kingdom of napoles appears

>Etruscans
>Roman Empire
>Pope vs Emperor
>Reinassance
>1848
>Unification
>WW1
>Fascism
>WW2
>EU

It's just a few paragraphs, usually.

DidnĀ“t they show you this pciture?

It's funny how those LARPers absolutely copied the archaic Greek sculptures and pottery

Sadly, you are not that funny.

We were only taught American Wars and WW2 in my high school, most kids couldn't point to Italy on a map

Sadly, you're an autist who mistakes a serious comment for a funny one

>LARPers
Stop misusing this word.

I did not even know about Roman Empire until i started to use the internet. That's how shitty the education system of my country.

Ancient Rome and very briefly about the Renaissance and unification

Evil fascist spaghetti b0is

Canadian history classes are a joke, as they mostly only go over Canadian history, and terribly so at that
there was one decent class where we went over the early days of the roman kingdom to the punic wars, but it was fairly compressed as the river valley civs and minoan greece were also covered

Sadly, I thought that you were not genuinely dumb.
My bad.

Retarded fuck

pasta

autism, the both of you

whats that, again?

>Roman Empire
>Renaissance
>Italian fascism
And that's it

Nothing. Let me tell you.
>only history courses in high school were Canadian History and the sequel - World History
>Canadian History - lackluster, watered down, etc
>World History - Basically footnotes of European history from late 19th century to modern day
>don't think we even mentioned italy in the war, maybe as a sidenote.
>essentially boiled down to muh 6 billion and a few battles

fun fact, at that school they don't even teach world history anymore. The only history course you can take is Canadian, and in place of world history they put world geography. I was in the last class to take it.

The only thing to know about guineas and the filthy island that spawned them is that all of their historical progress to this point has culminated in them turning into fat old men in undershirts watering the sidewalks with a garden hose in the outer boroughs of New York City.

>pre-roman italc peoples
>Magna Graecia
>Etruscans
>Latins
>Romans (kingdom, republic, empire)
>Post WRE Italy (Goths, Justinian, Longobards)
>Pope vs HRE
>Communes and Signorie
>Reinnassance
>Italian states during the eras and various foreign influence/domination
>Napoleonic wars
>Restoration
>1848
>Risorgimento&unification
>Post unification society and economy
>Colonialism
>Triple Alliance
>WW1