I started going to the gym more seriously few months ago, but I'm struggling with my bench

I started going to the gym more seriously few months ago, but I'm struggling with my bench

I can only bench 110lbs and adding weight more than 2,5/month seems impossible

I do 5x5 bench on my workout A and dips on B, and I go to gym every other day alternating A and B

Should I just bench more or what?
I also can't retract my shoulder blades when lying down

>I also can't retract my shoulder blades when lying down
Wut

What happens if you put 115 pounds on the bar and try to bench press it for 5 reps?

Yeah, when I hold the bar lying down and try to do it, it just feels wrong and unstable
Like I'd have to put more effort in doing that than actually lifting the weight

I can do that, but I fail a few sets and the form isn't exactly the cleanest

you dohave to put more effort in. it should hurt to retract your shoulders. you gotta press just as hard against the bench as you do pushing against the bar

How much do you weigh and how many pushups can you do

>cant
Unless youre disabled you can and i highly recommend you to start

145 and haven't tried in ages

have you tried doing more pushups and dips

I do dips 4x5 in my workout B
Working my way up to 4x8

Op are you doing incline in addition to flar bench? I really struggled with bench until i added incline bench right after flat during my workout.

I do ohp and push-press
I used to do incline with dumbells

Again, it worked for me, but i added incline right after flat bench.

Or if you cant get past 110, start adding extra reps to your sets of 110. Progressive overload it until you can add 5 pounds.

>Amount of sleep?
>Protein intake? Main sources of protein?
>How much do you rest between sets?
>Gender, BF%, weight, height, frame size?
>Wheres your sticking point? Do you have trouble getting the bar of your chest or do you struggle in the middle of the movement or do you have trouble locking out?
Incline bench will make your flat bench and ohp go up much faster, better to do 3X5 flat and 2X5 incline than 5X5 flat.
Push press is a meme, strict form military press is a much better accessory, also I hope you're doing side laterals.

>Amount of sleep?
7-8 hours, more on weekends
>Protein intake? Main sources of protein?
Depends and food
>How much do you rest between sets?
Few minutes
>Gender, BF%, weight, height, frame size?
Male, don't know, 145, 5'8,?
>Wheres your sticking point? Do you have trouble getting the bar of your chest or do you struggle in the middle of the movement or do you have trouble locking out?
Middle I suppose

>7-8 hours, more on weekends
So that probably isn't the problem.
>Depends and food.
Food? Nigga, you're supposed to filter it from the tantric energy surrouding you. Seriously though, look into it - if you don't know you're probably getting too little - no need to eat the meme 1g per lb, but try to get at least 0.75g per lb of lean mass (you need to know your BF% to calculate this.)
>Few minutes
If your latter sets feel much harder than your first work sets, incrase rest time - once you get to serious weight it should be about 4-5mins for bench.
>Male, don't know, 145, 5'8,?
Your BMI is 22, for fucks sake eat more.
>Middle I suppose
Focus on chest to get more momentum at the bottom, your bar speed is probably too slow.

Thanks, I checked some old myfitnesspal notes and I get 90-130g per day, or used to
I'd say maybe a little more nowadays

>90-130g
For your weight 100g should be plenty, as long as it's mostly high quality protein from meat, milk and eggs. Keep in mind that the protein density for raw and cooked meat differs.

Post full routine (including assistance and finisher lifts plus cardio if you do it,) for how long you have been lifting and your approximate progress on all lifts.

OP do pyramid sets..
10 sets of low weight.. then increase 5 pounds do 8, add another 5 do 6, and so on til you cant do 1. thats what i did beginning and helped me with my bench must faster.

Do this if you want to wear out your shoulders with your shitty beginner technique and progress much slower than you could because you've overstepped your MRV without much actual growth stimulation.

Pyramid sets are retarded, but reverse pyramid sets are on a whole new level of idiocy.

then do that. and keep doing that until you can do 5 full sets. progressive overload requires that you work to failure. you don't progress unless you overload. if you can't do one rep at X weight then increase the number of reps you do per set at your current weight until you DO reach failure. also consider getting micro plates (i.e. 1 or 1.25lbs plates)

A
Bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Ohp 3x5
Pull-ups 4x8
Latraises 3x12

B
Front Squat 5x5
Push press 3x5
Dips 4x8
Skullcrushers 4x8
Chin-ups 4x8

I also do bis/traps if I feel like it

Been going to the gym on/off for a year and a half but started going there more seriously few months back

So all in lbs
Bench has progressed from the bar to 110(5x5)
Started squats again, 145 now, going up every week
Could only squat 65 when I started, I was underweight skelly
Ohp is 75

And i get my protein mostly from dairy and meat

meant to reply to

There is plenty wrong with that. Why are you doing something like this instead of something proven like Greyskull LP or SS?

>Benching and OHP on the same day is stupid.
>Pull-ups have to have some progression.
>Push presses are for advanced liters plateauing on OHP, never for beginners.
>Only do chins or pulls, not both.
>Where are your deadlifts or rows or cleans?

A
OHP 3X5
Chins 3X5-10 (add weight once you can do 10.)
Squat 3X5

B
Rows 3X5 or Power cleans 5X3
Bench 3X5
Deads 2X5

Do lat raises every workout 2X8-12.
Warm-up at barx15, 25%X10, 50%X8, 75%X5.
AxBxAxxBxAxBxx

This might not be prefect, but it's a lot better than what you've got, leave the advanced stuff for when you can actually lift serious weight and have some experience.

You can also do incline bench for 2X8 on your bench days if you're up for it.

I'm planning to start weightlifting

What is that supposed to mean?

Hence the front squats and presses
Owg recommended those and told that I'll learn bad habits from deads/rows

You meant Olympic lifting, that's not the same as the more general weightlifting, mate.

There is nothing wrong with alternating back and front squats. But at least do (power)cleans if you don't row, that's on your agenda anyways. If you don't want to deadlift (which I would recommend to any beginner) then at least do glute bridges. If you absolutely want to do push presses at least treat them as an accesory to OHP day and not a main lift while relegating OHP to being after bench. The other stuff I said still stands; you're routine is not very good, OWL or not.

Thanks, I'll try to learn power cleans and sort my routine out