If potatoes have high GI index, why are they a staple of fit diet?

If potatoes have high GI index, why are they a staple of fit diet?

Aren't the high GI carbohidrates the bad ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/737.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7598063
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10994375
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>why are they a staple of fit diet?
they are not

No. Potatoes are complex carbs, thus good carbs.

Bad carbs are simple carbs.

Potatoes are basically bread that grows in the ground

Just like how avocados are basically butter that grows on trees

If you're not fat, high GI isn't a problem. And is actually beneficial in certain situations for lifters. More importantly, potatoes have a ton of micronutrients

What about sweet potatoes? Are they better for lifters?

Yes.

Though personally, I don't really like sweet potatoes and only really eat them mashed with a fuckton of garlic, while regular potatoes are a lot more versatile in the kitchen

although potatoes are very nutritious, their high glycemic index causes a drastic insulin spike, which is a hormone for fat storage.

so potatoes and white rice are not the best option if you're cutting or trying to lean bulk.

They're complex carbs, but it tricks your body into thinking it's a simple carb. Thus not nescessarily a good source of carbs, but I won't bother cutting it out, I'm bulking anyways.

>insulin spike, which is a hormone for fat storage

And atoms are just little balls, amiright? Fucking retard with your superficial pop sci knowledge.

chill out bro

insulin is a hormone that allows your body to use the glucose from carbohidrates, so it does in fact determine how much fat is storaged in your body.
btfo

There are insulin-independent glucose transporters and signaling that drives adipose tissue expansion is much more complicated than insulin up and insulin down. You're embarrassing yourself, kiddo. Typical underaged broscientist who thinks he's entitled to talk about fields he never studied.

This so much.
If you're not fat, the glycemic index makes fuck all of a difference. In the first place I don't understand why people who are out to build muscle are afraid of insulin spikes. Roiders literally inject insulin because it's an anabolic hormone in high enough quantities, which lets you store glycogen (muscle and liver) but also triglycerides (fat-cells) and kicks protein synthesis into high gear, restoring your muscle and other body cells faster.
>b-but the insulin crash
It gets back to normal levels just a couple of minutes or an hour or two tops. The gains you made during the spike, far outweigh the crash.

then why do clean eaters look good and iifymemers / powerlifters look like shit?

You should read some basic biochemistry textbook. Insulin allows the entrance of glucose to the fatty tissue via GLUT 4 (where it can be converted to glycerol) and upregulates the lipogenic pathway.

>bought a 5kg bag on july
>put it inside a cupboard
>went out the whole august
>comeback home on sept
>open the cupboard
>holyshietto.png
>a full civilization, like thousands of insects that almost discovered the fire due to the fucking potates

potatoes are not good Veeky Forums

Insulin does other things that diametrically oppose the 'fat storage' idiocy - stimulating hypothalamic energy expenditure and satiety circuits, futile cycling, etc and you can't childishly ignore these inconveniences if you want an understanding of the entire system beyond spherical cow level. Don't be so simplistic and make sure to take your own advice, because it's obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Tbqh when I forget about my potatoes they just grow roots and sprouts. Anyway I'm sure there's an Irishman crying somewhere out there.

Is it true that if you boil them with the skin on they are healthier?

I know what insulin does, even the good stuff, but diminishing it's effects on fat storage because is "simplistic" is kind of idiotic. Just look at untreated patients with type 1 diabetes.

>I know what insulin does, even the good stuff, but diminishing it's effects on fat storage because is "simplistic" is kind of idiotic
Ironic coming from someone who is apparently unable to understand "net effect", a term whose meaning is intuitively obvious to preschoolers.

>Just look at untreated patients with type 1 diabetes.
So pissing out calories from renal and vascular dysfunction on top of massive damage to other organs is your conception of fat storage and alternative to insulin? Now this is idiotic! Still possible, however, via for example ASP. Going upstream and removing the brain to prevent eating altogether would help. So please do us a favor and remove what's left of yours. That would solve the shitposting problem as a bonus.

>he thinks the body stores carbs as fat at all
lmao

>that pic
from what book is that m8

>boil them with the skin on
>boil
I hope you mean just wash.
just wash and snack raw for optimal gains

boiled jacket potatoes are a thing, user.

nvm didn't read the whole post

simple carbs are sugars, which make you fat.

leave fit and don't come back

>sugar makes you fat
lmao read up on de novo lipogenesis you monng

Because they don't? Powerlifters are fat because they eat excess calories, which is why they're fat. People who follow IIFYM will get the same results as clean eaters, provided they get the same macros and micros.

Not him, but can you explain? I've tried reading ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981 and I admit I didn't understand much, but:
>Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure (TEE).
I understood from it that if calories out > calories in, then indeed the body doesn't make fat from sugar, but that's hardly surprising. Then
>>It is important to distinguish between high-CHO (low-fat) eucaloric diets and surplus CHO hypercaloric diets. The former refers to the proportion of dietary energy represented by CHO, under conditions of neutral energy balance; the latter refers to the absolute quantity of CHO energy relative to total energy needs
I can't find anything more about hypercaloric diets in this study.

Eat beans instead - lower GI, good fibre, lots of real variety, almost as cheap, easy to get hold of, actually has protons.

Also: ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/737.full
>De novo lipogenesis is the primary route by which dietary carbohydrate is converted into fat in the liver. In reality, however, it has been suggested that hepatic de novo lipogenesis is a relatively unimportant metabolic pathway in humans consuming a standard Western diet but that it may become more significant under conditions of excess dietary intake, especially of carbohydrate

>hepatic de novo lipogenesis

DNL doesn't solely occur in the liver friendo

You can still get fat just as easily with a surplus carb intake as you can with a surplus fat intake, give or take ~10%.

>Carbohydrate overfeeding produced progressive increases in carbohydrate oxidation and total energy expenditure resulting in 75-85% of excess energy being stored. Alternatively, fat overfeeding had minimal effects on fat oxidation and total energy expenditure, leading to storage of 90-95% of excess energy.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7598063

>The increase in body weight, fat free mass and fat mass showed great variation, the mean increases being 1.5 kg, 0.6 kg and 0.9 kg respectively. No significant differences between the C- and F-group were observed.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10994375

Whoops my bad, I missed this last part of your post
>become more significant under conditions of excess dietary intake

I thought you were claiming you can't get fat off of a surplus carb intake.

>I thought you were claiming you can't get fat off of a surplus carb intake.
Nah, I was responding to the user who claimed that (?) or at last that's how I understood and

From what I have read, you should eat low-glycemic food before a workout or if you are dieting, but in general potatoes can provide excellent nutrients and balance your diet.