/run/ - Running General

Taper edition

Pastebin: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

Finished my last long long run today (34k). And the official taper before my first marathon begins.

Questions for everyone also training for a marathon:
>Goal time?
>First time doing a marathon?
>Do you feel ready?

I guess I'll start:
3h30
First time
I am ready on paper (also got a 1h43 half in horrible heat), but I don't feel mentally ready. Please someone hold me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=no76LyoSpFo&ab_channel=Vo2maxProductions
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just started running recently, wouldn't even want to think about how a marathon would effect my body. Most I've ran at 1 time was 6miles at an 8:30 mile pace and I'm sore from that. Godspeed to you tho user

Breathing exclusively thorough nose - is this a better method?

>tfw found a track in my shit city

Complete novice to running, quick question for anyone that can give me a straight answer:
Should I carry my water bottle with me while running, or just make sure I hydrate (without filling my stomach up) before and after my runs?

I never carry a water bottle with me when I run.

Carrying a water bottle will get tedious. I normally drink 500ml-1l before each run.
However if Im running a long route where I do multiple laps, I bring a bottle and place it so I can come back to it a few times.

You could also try to run by a water fountain or something if that's possible where you're at.

i run at a track and leave my water bottle where nobody can see it, has got thrown away twice but nobody drinks from it or had put anything in it since nobody really runs there but me

God, running is gay

Should put that into /asp/ like fighting and shit

Ran about 1.8 miles today but i was supposed to do another 400m...hadn't run in a week+ though so i pussied out. :(

New to running. This might sound like an autistic question but what form should I maintain when running? I typically land on the middle of my foot and when I start sprinting, I land more on my toes.

So for a tall skinny 19 year old guy an 8 minute mile should be no problem right

Didn't get much running in this week due to being sick. Good thing I'm on my taper though!

>Goal time?
None--just complete it without stopping to walk.
Nope. Second one. The first one I did in 4:45.
>Do you feel ready?
Yes. I can't wait to get it done and over with.

>tryna go to airborne school
>have asthma, can barely run

What do

>I don't feel mentally ready
It's your first one. On my first, I never felt ready. You tend to doubt your training. Don't doubt it. You'll see your results on race day provided you tapered. Congratulations on that really long run and reaching the taper point.

Doing long slow runs helps build your body up to do it.

Yeah, it's called breathing out through your mouth like any normal person.

I hydrate about an hour before a run. I drink a 20fl oz bottle of water. Carrying around a water bottle isn't too bad. I carry Gatorade on my really long runs and when it's out, there's several springs along the trail I run on which I fill up on and drink from. It's a bit of an inconvenience but you get used to it.

Midfoot, back straight, head forward.

I don't get it, if you dislike marathons this much, why are you doing it? ;_;

Sup, marathon training girl? Are you going to finally show us your nice sexy marathon-trained body?

I'm helping out my sister run one. I'm going to be sticking with her thoughout the race. I figure without me, she'd walk most of it. After this, it's half-marathons since they are fun to me. I can't stand running past 15 miles.

Never.

Thanks man. It's funny because I felt way more prepared for my first half, and I didn't train anywhere near as much.

I like halfs too because I feel it's the longer race I can do without having to worry too much about it. But a yearly marathon has a nice ring to it.

>Never.

yore useless

After some advice on what I should do.
Am 6 foot 3, 245lbs,25% bf, 27m. Loaibg weight at around 1.4kg / week, tdee minus 1500 daily.

I am doing StrongLifts (3x5) but also working on running, I can do 9.5km on a treadmill in an hour and can do a sub 30 min 5k, but it's pushing me to my limits (see attached). Speed isn't what I'm after at the moment, but stamina and distance.

How should I train?

Last week I was able to run 20 minutes straight for all 3 runs I did.

I'm planning on increasing it this week, I wanted to try and do 25 this time. Would a more natural progression be 22 minutes? Or maybe do 25 for my last run?

Also it's pretty crazy how most running barriers are mental. 2 weeks ago I would usually stop running after about 1.4 miles and not continue. I decided to bring my phone to time myself and I ran for 20 mins consecutively, I'm guessing about a 11 minute pace.

managed to run a loop around my neighbourhood that is 1.2km without stopping. I'm going to go for 2 laps next time.

First 10km race in two weeks. I can run 13km in 01:20, 6.8km in 00:37. Is my goal time 00:55 achievable? How many days break before the race?

34k is a lot OP, congrats on holding on.

>Goal time?
3h30
Yes
>Do you feel ready?
Not fully, i'm worried about "the wall" and about getting injured before or during the race

My marathon is in 3 weeks, when's yours ?

Just did 13km in 51min. Feels good desu

Have some Scooby instead.

How can I btfo someone who runs

I need help here. I don't know where to start.

How do I into running?

ATTENTION: NEW RUNNERS AND ANYONE ELSE WHO STRUGGLES WITH FORM: REMEMBER YOUR CADENCE. KEEP IT HIGH.

youtube.com/watch?v=no76LyoSpFo&ab_channel=Vo2maxProductions

Run through it, I'm a mega asthma fag too started out crunching on it barley doing 1 mile accept it and now can push through until 6 miles, I'm also over weight my doctor tested my blood says my blood count is going up so I'm becoming more efficient

You should just focus on running and doing a mild full body working 4 times a week, you have too much fat to lose once you complete your first weight loss and enter the cut/bulk cycle then do an actual weight lifting program

Just run 5k in something like 27 minutes.
Thought I'd go for 4 miles but I was bad and I smoked so it made me nauseous around the 25 minutes mark like always. Oh well
Good luck to all of us slow runners.
C25k
Can't outrun a bullet.

Track with Runkeeper it's a great app with cool features. I find running is mostly metal just be cautious with your distances. I think 20 -> 25 is a easy transition just don't go 20 -> 40 or something yoir joints need time to catch up and build as well

Keep up the good work user!

Okay so I was diagnosed with chronic Achilles tendinitis. It honestly hurts like a bitch, especially when I wake up and my tendons are super tight

Anyone have any experience with this and can put some input and maybe tips? I haven't ran in over a month because of it.

It looks doable. Take only a couple of days break, and make sure that during the last week in general you don't do anything too intensive

3 weeks as well.

My plan to avoid the wall is to hit every water station and have gels at 15k and 30k. Let's hope that's enough.

Godspeed user. We're all gonna make it

Any sprinters here?

I hear this a lot, but I've never really had any trouble with cadence at least. I guess I'm lucky

Pic related

isnt it boring to just run on the same track every single day?

you are useless

checked

pls r8

no h8

Run in Lyon ?

How2sprint4gains?

Me. I'm a nice shitty DYEL amateur sprinter

Sprint up hills.

>Never
Pls?

I've got a 10k coming up in two weeks. So far I've been running one 20 min tempo run a week but I've got mixed feelings on should I run one during my final week of training (I'm decreasing my mileage from 35 to ~20 anyway)

I feel it would be good to do so I don't forget what it's like to run hard
On the other hand, I'm afraid it might compromise my performance at the race

Should I go for the tempo run or not?

Extremely doable. I never did 10k before last friday, I'm 5'7 and weigh 185 which means I'm overweight and I did 10.8k (they said 10 but my friend's gps watch said 10.8) in 55 minutes.

Rest up. It's tempting to do it, but don't. The thoughts you have going on goes through every runner's mind. You won't forget what it is like to run hard and you'll be running harder anyway during the race without realizing it.

GW1516 is amazing
not sure if it's worth the cancer and money though

Thanks man
I'll keep my mind on the race

Nice. I started a year ago after realising I am naturally quite quick, currently trying to make strength gains to help my sprinting

What are your times?

Only 11.47 for the 100 and 7.39 for the 60
Once I start gaining muscle mass I should go faster

decent, how long have you been running for?

I'm aiming to get sub-11 and sub-7 in the 100 and 60 next season. I'm reasonably strong as I lifted before starting sprinting, I just have a very heavy footed running style which slows me down

3 or so years.
What times are you running now?
Just to let you know sub 11 is way easier than sub 7
I know a guy who has ran 6.98 but loads of runs in the 10.7s

I've been running 5miles three times weekly for the last few months without issue. I ran yesterday and this morning I've got terribly sore legs and ankles.

Any reason I'm suddenly getting aches and pains?

I've ran 11.3 into wind a few times so hopefully a bit lower than that without. My 60m pb is 7.08, so I think sub 7 is reasonable for next season.

I think I'm relatively better at the 60m as I have a very explosive start, just need to focus on my stride in the 2nd half.

buy new shoes or switch to softer terrain

stretch a bit

If you're a complete novice, you won't be running far/long enough to need a water bottle. Just drink a sensible amount before/after runs.

Any suggestions for good earbuds/small headphones that stay in the ear but aren't cumbersome?

I used Strava for my last run and planned to continue using it.

anyone here running barefoot?
started last week and it's a totally different thing.
my calves, which have never given me any trouble, are fucking dying after a 3k.

EXCELLENT. YOU ARE ONE OF THE LUCKY FEW. LOW CADENCE CAN LEAD TO LOWER EFFICIENCY AND WORSE RUNNING ECONOMY, AND INJURY RESULTING IN LESS EFFECTIVE TRAINING AT BEST AND INJURIES OF THE PATELLOFEMORAL TENDINITIS (KNEE PROBLEMS), AND INJURIES RELATING TO HIGHER IMPACT SUCH AS SHIN SPLINTS.

how did you get to 34k? i'm supposed to do 30 in a few days, but up to now i didn't get further than 27,5km, and a week ago i tried 30k but hit wall at 22.
Do you use gells? At night? Warm/cold weaher etc

It was a slow weekly increase to get to 34k. I started at 15k around March and added 1-2k per week. I've actually ran that distance a few times so far.

Most of the runs were in the morning. I used gel in only one of those, but I'm not really sure if it made a difference. I hydrated every 2.5k because the weather was very warm.

That said, the last 5k or so were always a struggle.

Story?

Me this morning

>pelvicthrustcadence.jpg

Hey, the photo of him on the track is from CU-Boulder

Thanks but how should I focus on running? What should I be doing?

I did some circuit training today where I'd alternate between a minute of skipping (jump rope) and a minute of moderate bodyweight stuff, I kept it up for 22 minutes but I feel like I should have gone for 30. Is 20 minutes of intense exercise still good for endurance/fitness?

And to keep it running related, I managed to run just under six miles at an average pace of 8:37/mile yesterday, is that any good?

>midfoot
nah, forefoot master race, i bet you wear shoes while you run too

Is there anything like this for HIIT?

pls respond

My left calf tightens up after a 1/4 mile and limits how far I can run before needing to stretch it? Is it my form? Could it be cramping?
Possibly related, when I feel the inside of my left shin I hit a divot that goes down. Just before it I can move something that feels like a vein or tendon or something? Is this normal? I can't feel anything similar anywhere else on either shin.

Thx. What's that about volume at the top though?

Can feel weird lumps on the front of my tibia the day after doing a pathetically small amount of running. Anyone have any ideas? Google doesn't seem to know, and I have proper shoes from a shop where they analyse your gait.

If they're not painful or interfering with your life then they're probably nothing to worry about.

volume = amount

it means the total number of weekly training minutes increases

Thanks. They are quite painful if I press on them, and I do get shin splints very easily, could they be related?

That looks like a torturous training plan.

yeah, I don't know why I save some images

maybe some masochist will actually try it anyway

Holy shit, how do I get rid of the side stitch? It's been getting so bad that I have to stop running. It's not even that I feel tired, I feel pretty great. Google hasn't really had any answers. Fucking help me.

Lrn2breathe

post yfw runner's high

Also interested in this. The generic earbuds I have full out of my ears if I try to run with them.
Used to run to run with a pair of Denons, but I'd have to wear a beanie underneath for them to fit tight enough. The sound in Denons are good, but they're fragile and ive ruined two pairs now.

Keep running. They go away on their own eventually. If they don't, then it's not side stitches.

i've been using the new apple earbuds and theyre great. great frequency range, dont fall out, loud enough. first apple product ive had that i have 0 complaints about.

Where are these plans coming from? I know it has to be Hanson's plans since he's the one that advocates cumulative fatigue and the longest run being 16 miles, but my god that plan is even more torturous. I don't see how a person will be able to run a marathon after that plan.

Your left calf is being overworked, but it's hard to say for what specific reason. Maybe you're new to running, started a new uphill route or got new boots. The point is you're working a group of muscles harder than they have been worked in a long time.
Make sure you rest enough in between runs, stretch properly after each run, and try slow down for that first 1/4 mile so you don't overwork your calf before getting warmed up.

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml

Various plans from 5K to marathon for different levels of experience, definitely based on Hanson plans.

thx m8

Doesn't count unless you break 30 minutes.