/MAG/ Labor Day Edition: Solo Drills General

Martial Arts General
/mag/

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: findmmagym.com/

Veeky Forums APPROVED MARTIAL ARTS
•Any Martial Art that allows you to practice against an UNWILLING opponent
Examples (but not limited to): Judo, Boxing, BJJ, TKD, Muay Thai, Sambo, Kyukushin

Styles of fighting:
ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-YuOvQ6DzGs
pastebin.com/LXHvWCZY
youtu.be/X9iGCDMltZ4
youtu.be/_vWWIpiu1jA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

29 yr old male
5' 11"
187 lbs

Lifitng for 3 months. I like the changes I'm seeing.
I feel better.
I have more confidence.
I'm stronger.

Lifting is an amazing outlet for stress and anger management. I never feel better than I do after lifting, except maybe sex, but those are 2 different schools of satisfaction.

But it doesn't do anything for releasing aggression. I always feel super aggressive, and pent up. I'm unsure why it took this long in my life to feel this way, especially consdering I'm done growing up, and am officially aging. Everythings starting to go bad, sex drive is decreasing, eys are getting worse, caloric maintenance is dropping.

But my aggression is at an all time high.

I want to fight.

Specifically, box.

I know boxing requires speed, and I don't know if lifting would interfere with that. I don't know if one is more prone to injury and would hinder the other one.

It's either give a shot and decide, "Yes, this is where it's at," or get my ass kicked a few times and realize, "Oh no, this sucks."

Does anybody have any experience with boxing, as being a form or channeling or release?

I've considered MMA style fighting, but I do have very minimal, MINIMAL exposure to this from the military doing combatives style engagements. Never liked it, never enjoyed it, and I feel there's alot larger margin to be injured in that style of fighting, and my shoulder already hurts enough. If anything, I don't want to get hurt and not be able to lift anymore.

Am I too old to even consider this?

to answer
>I don't know if lifting would interfere with that
lifting low weight high reps is optimal for fighting, as you need to maintain mobility.
Lifting high weight low reps for hypertrophy fucks your mobility, even with stretching.

>But my aggression is at an all time high.
boxing is a lot of fun, and good for letting out you aggression, id recommend just getting a punching bag for now to let out your aggression and see if it works for you the same as it did for me, there's plenty of punching youtube tutorials for you to learn how to hit a bag properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YuOvQ6DzGs

fight tips is meme tier defence, but he is a Muay Thai practitioner and his workouts are legitimate, try it out.

>Am I too old to even consider this?
maybe professionally, but you can enjoy boxing recreationally, you'll never really be able to do it long enough for you to have a real 'background' in the sport. It will increase your confidence, let out your aggression, be something fun to do, and you'll have something to apply your strength to.

Sounds like you should just do a trial of boxing and find out if it works for you.

However, based on your post it sounds like you would do well at a judo dojo that has lots of randori (judo word for matches with members of your club where you try your technique against unwilling opponents)

Judo and bjj are better arts for older guys.

Forgot to add the reason I think judo would be good is because your lifting will help you lift and throw people.

Thank you for containing your autism and prividing constructive responses.

BJJ vs Judo for general street defense?

I do muay thai and used to box but want to learn a grappling style that'll see me able to quickly end confrontations.

The gym offering BJJ also does all round MMA if that counts for anything

>grappling
>street fight

I hope this is bait

the quick way to end a street fight is a headbutt, a knockout punch, a knee to the face, etc.

never grapple in a street fight

What do you guys think of Dog Brothers?

Grappling is useful if it's one on one. It's a death sentence if your opponent has friends, especially the ones that stay out at first and only jump in when you're preoccupied/winning.

I have trouble pinching my legs together when attempting armbars, kneebars etc.

Is having small legs the cause of this? I have quite small pencil thin legs.

Weak adductors, could be a bigger problem. Better check it out bro.

Bjj for you, the only thing that judo will offer over bjj is the footwork, stand up and clinch that you already have in muay Thai.

Yeah I think it is, my hip flexibility isn't the greatest either, since I spend alot of my time sitting.

Are you actually saying that MT stand up is equal to judo stand up?

>a knockout punch
>the quick way to end a street fight
damn, i've been training wrong my whole life. here i was just dragon fights out to be all cinematic and cool, little did i know i could just throw a knockout punch to deescalate the situation

most fights end up on the ground anyway. its good to have the knowledge base and be comfortable and in control while in a unfavorable position. that doesn't mean take it/stay on the ground, it means knowing how to get back up or out effectively.

Hey. I'm looking forward to start a martial art to go along with my lifting.

Is Karate a good choice? I want the discipline required in these Japanese martial arts but I actually want to know how to defend myself not just choreography.

Love you senpais

Depends

This is great, I've already made up my mind. Thanks user!

have fun

see if you can get a free class or something before deciding on the best place

For self defense I also recommend short/middle distance running and maybe parcour

MY BJJ GYM IS CLOSED GUYS

Such a biased chart.

highly effective.
It even works against firearms with the help pocket sand

Grappling is great, just duck their punch and snap their neck

(You)
(You)
A grappler's best friend in a street fight
throw them head first into these things , can't get them to go head first, smashing an arm or leg surely would break them

muay thai's clinch and judo's clinch are 2 different approaches, they got great synergy to complement the other's holes but they provide advantages and disadvantages to each other

where as judo is using off balance techniques to lead into throws and other scrambles

muay thai's clinch principals are using off balance techniques to lead into knees nd elbows, neither is superior to the other, its a point of personal preference, but honestly i think people should get good at both cause you then have a slew of tools at your disposal

>be 6'4
> live in japan
>have a fight on sunday
I planning to go with the Jon Jones lead arm stuck out tactic. Manlets won't know what hit them.

>READ THE FAQ

pastebin.com/LXHvWCZY

They are separate but equal, but whatever, the point being, someone coming from muay Thai already knows stand up, so might as well go with something that jumps into guard right away so there isn't duplicate learning.

Judo would help perfect his stand up and give him good ground game as well.

BJJ is basically a derivitive of Judo's ground game.

what about the financial aspect?

The nearest MMA gym to me says they charge 65 dollars a class.. wtf.

>Saturday
>Asked my trainer since were closed on Monday what should I do?
>he's like " you were going to work out on labor day?"
>I'm like yes of course
>he's like tell you what I'll open up the gym for 2 hours and well drill
>spent my labor day morning working mitts and practicing combos on the heavy bag

Feel good famm

Can someone ease elaborate on this for me?

>Any Martial Art that allows you to practice against an UNWILLING opponent

Seems like, of someones practicing with you, there's definitely some kind of agreement of consent. Right?

Someone please explain this.

(I'm guessing there's not gyms that scoop up people from the streets, keep them in the basement, and then tell them their freedom lies in fighting.)

Don't get ripped of now. But that might be professional training. I would go in and see exactly what memberships the have going on.

should production and distribution of a demotivational picture (OP's pic) be punishable by death? yes or yes?

Basically if you compare most aikido dojos to judo dojos, what you find is that your aikido partner is literally throwing themselves. In a judo dojo, during randori, your opponent not only knows the techniques that you are trying, but actively trying to stop you from doing it.

If you are successful at doing randori judo, chances are it applies in competition and on the street. The same can't be said for the choreographed moves in aikido.

Every street fight I've seen/participated in after grade school involved more than one person and weapons. I would never grapple anyone in a street fight. But that's me. I also live in Miami so it might be different around here.

Grappling is not recommended for street fighting simply for the fact that you got to get so fucking close to someone trying to do harm to you. Its one thing in competition , its another when there are consequences like death and prison involved.

youtu.be/X9iGCDMltZ4
Related watching, why you never go to the ground when fighting in the street. This poor bastard didn't want to go on the ground. There's rare occasions that you should go to the ground.

grappling isnt just going to the ground, its also standing, and nothing wrong with picking a dude up and smashing their brains in into the pavement.

Also punching is horrible for people who need their hands for work, the chance of breaking your hand is really high specially in bareknuckle alterications

Boxers and MMA guys break their hands with wraps and gloves and proper technique, a scrub punching, while shit have fun with that shatter hand, and then say you're a programmer, how the fuck can you even do your job with a broken hand?

Punching sucks, if you gotta stand, knees and elbows, but just toss them and rag doll them, no risk of getting to the ground and less risk to you

I train box in a commerical gym(doesn't have anything to do with the gym outside using its facilities), master rented some room in there and it's small and tight
the air is also scarce and it's really steamy and hot in there but holy fuck if your conditioning becomes insane outside

we're like 4 regulars and there's a lot of guys that come and go, and I mean A LOT they just can't handle it and quit kek(guess it's the atmosphere and also the lack of water, you can rarely drink and if you do enjoy doing 100 push ups)
Master was national vice-champion and has a lot of titles has underage, the fucker not only is a beast at fighting and knows a lot of martial arts but he's swole
sometimes we spar him, he rotates us all and still kicks our ass despite being 38yrs old and working all
other times we spar each other, I've done ok against a dude that used to muay thai for 2 years and has 2 amateurs fights under his belt(both wins)

Sometimes my body gets too tired from heavy lifting and also the box and its conditioning that we do at the end(makes my shoulders want to cry)
but I love it, I wanted to do try outs to join a local football team but I love this too much

I've also grown mentally

Legit sounds like the difference between sparring and "this is how it should look."

I understand.

Thank you

this is /mag/, it's usually comfy bar the "FUCK OFF TO /ASP/ IDIOTS THIS IS FIT" posters

What kind of karate? If it is Kyokushin, then good.

Any uni students here manage to balance martial arts classes at the same time as regular lifting? Engineering student here, in dire need of advice.

Kyokushin, enshin, seidokaikan, kudo/daido-juku are good.

Most others are top meme

This is the most useful thing you will watch all day.
youtu.be/_vWWIpiu1jA

I think they have some pretty nifty stuff, especially their stick grappling.

> And not a single full stop was used that day

Punctuation motherfucker. Use it!

On myfitnesspal it say martial arts burn an insane amount of calories (800 per hour), is it true?

Why the fuck is there a link to Krav Maga in the OP.

Get that (((bullshit))) out.

>t. permacuck aut-right

You don't deserve to be there Shlomo.

Depends on the dojo. Mcdojo, no. Competitive sport dojo, easily.

if your oponent has friends your fucked either way but if you run away they are going to try to take you to the ground

punching and moving is the best way to counter groups of people its krav maga 101 and they teach their soldiers to be one men armies

I'm going to take my first BJJ class in around 4 hours (2 of my friends will be there who are already pretty experienced)

What should I expect? Is it gonna hurt real bad?

>Krav Maga

Opinion discarded

Yeah and what if you don't end the fight quickly?

So many fights end up in a tussle and then on the floor. Whether or not multiple antagonists are involved it's definitely very useful to know how to grapple and wrestle not so you can submit your opponent but so you can disengage from the grapply fuck and stand back up in the shortest time possible.

BJJ is great for self defense because when the fight almost inevitably ends up on the floor you can either choke the guy/break him or gain control of the situation and get back to your feet and run/knock him out.

It doesn't matter. If self-defense is a realistic consideration for you at any point you need to stop living in a shithole or stop being a cunt.

They keep telling me my strength and energy is through the roof at my bjj classes but i know that technique is all that natters. What should my goal as a white belt be? Where should my hands be when im defending myself?

Also, planning on starting boxing when i get my blue belt and when ive completed 6 months to 1 yr of boxing pkus bjj i will try MMA. Good idea?

Im a cop and self defense should be must, which is why i do bjj. Nothing wrong with that.

Not him, but any martial art is better than no martial art.

Krav has a lot of situational techniques, but it focuses on multiple opponents quite often in my experience, constantly emphasizing movement and awareness of surroundings, both of which are invaluable. Get in, cause damage with punches/knees/elbows, get out and move around towards a possible exit route.

It's considered a meme and a shit art by all elite fighters on Veeky Forums, but I enjoyed my time training in it and found it to be a great supplement to my other martial arts training.

Everyone knows MMA is no good in a syreet fight thats why i practice turkish oil wresling, 9/10 a street fight will involve a muscular oiled turkish man in leather pants.

wtf i love street fights now

Only a few months into mma here, trainers point out im great when i abuse my range

Is there a way to train so that i get more used to that?

>grappling isn't just going to the ground
Understood. But you're missing the point where you still get ridiculously close to people trying to do serious harm to you.

>nothing wrong with..

Those are the consequences when you fight in the street. Grappling and elbows and knees, while great, force you to get really close to people who are, once again , trying to do serious harm to you.

>do your job with a....

Okay never mind this is bait.

/mag/

new Boxer here
how do i train my cardio for a fight?
i like to run up stairs on sunday.
Do a 15 minute sprint with 10 second rest after each minute on tuesday.
Long slow jog on saturday.
I also box 3 days a week.
And im gonna start greyskull in a few days to get my strength up.
Any other tips?

Any kind of cardio. Lots of volume every day. Take your bike everywhere. Cardio takes yeeeeaaars to build up it's about the lifstyle of it. Not so much sets and reps kind of thing

>lots of volume
but i wanna build up strength
Also shooting for bruce lee mode if anyone has his routien

Say you are below the average height for whatever your weightclass would be.

Say you are lean at that weight.

Should you still lose lean mass to get to a class where you aren't short?

t. light heavyweight manlet
t. possible middleweight manlet

ye dude, it'll be much easier

Strength and endurance do matter in martial arts, quite a lot.

With grappling endurance is especially important. It's difficult to submit a reactive opponent and if they have a lot more stamina than you they can just play defensive until you gas out.

>any martial art is better than no martial art.
Except the variant of Taekwon-do that they do in the Olympics. An untrained guy will at least be aware to cover himself with his arms to some extent, and can understand the idea of an opponent moving in a direction other than "towards you".

I can't remember how many black belts I've sparred with from that discipline, because they were all worryingly easy to punch in the face and to defend against.
White belts are more of a challenge.

All other black belts were memorable to some degree.

That's true. We had an amatuer olympic style sparrer come to my school and he was mopped by our black belts. I guess its because our school doesn't focus on points in sparring and thats all he was going for. I remember him getting knocked over by one of the guy's roundhouse kicks, good times

Totally agree, that slipped my mind. I hate watching Olympic TKD because they just let their arms dangle, but at the same time I still enjoy it well enough.

In my opinion, solid punches to the chest should be worth more, or scale to a maximum of 3 points. 1st punch of the match for Person A = 1 point. 2nd punch is worth 2 points. 3rd punch is worth 3 points. It would emphasize some use of hands or guards being up.

I've never trained TKD though, so this may be a bad idea.

This. I don't get why people say you should do grappling "because most fights end up on the ground anyway". That just spells a complete lack of situational awareness in 10ft-high blood-red skull font. I guess there are situations where grappling and submitting someone is optimal in terms of minimizing risk of injury to yourself and your attacker (assuming you are ethically minded). I then there's times when you're taken down and are forced to grapple. But I'd much prefer to remain standing if I can, especially if other people are around. They might look like neutral bystanders, but you never know who will turn out to be an enemy. You also retain the option of bolting if that is an option, which I guess it isn't if you're defending your family from a home invasion or something. If you have multiple attackers to deal with, surely you want to stay upright and mobile...

Does any martial art teach this sort of situational assessment?

You practice krav maga? Care to elaborate on what you think it's most useful aspects are?

I live in tokyo. You are literally more likely to be struck by lightning than have to defend your life.

Stop living in a shithole.

btfo, no one cares, you're likely an anime cuck english teacher pleb who couldn't get a "job" anywhere else anyway, go fuck yourself. people should be able to live where they like and defend themselves if need be. just because you're a skelly limpdick cuck doesn't mean everyone has to be

It's not that it couldnt work, because traditional TKD does use punch's, throws, and a bit of grappling. It does have its roots in Traditional Korean and Japanese arts and they used it for their military. I believe you can score points with punchs but it has to be a strike hard enough to stagger the body but its way easier to just score with a solid kick. Competition style has devolved from hard fought tournaments to foot tag