/STOIC/

Who else here /stoic/?

>STOIC (noun)

>1. a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining

/stoic/ is not for manchildren who shut themselves away from the world because they are insecure, or edgy teens who want to reject society because they want to be a special snowflake, Stoic is for those of us that do whatever the fuck we gotta do, no matter what, Stoic is not for people who make threads whining about not being able to get laid, or making feels threads on a board dedicated to fitness, Stoic is for people who get on with whatever they gotta do, and reject the bullshit insecurities and petty dramas that plague so many people, other people cry and whine about their problems, Stoic is for those that know how to take a hit, and keep moving.

>This is not a thread for people to whine about bad things that have hapenned to them and how they have overcome it, emotional support or sympathy is outlawed, come here to talk about lifting ONLY, questions and advice are welcome, progress pics are a cry for attention and are outlawed, form checks are allowed.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/what-is-stoicism/
forbes.com/sites/kareanderson/2012/09/28/five-reasons-why-stoicism-matters-today/#5a3a8dc16b2b
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Trying, it requires an extrememly high amount of self awareness however, which I don't yet have, every so often someone/something makes me lose my shit.

I act stoic but there are severals aspects of the philosophy that I disagree with

If you were truly Stoic you wouldn't have made this stupid thread.

Any recommendations on becoming one? I would really like to become a stoic.

Like reading materials or something?

came to write this

Tfw no gf.

If you label yourself stoic, you're not stoic, do you understand the words that are being typed by me right now?

Youre right about self-awareness, keep focusing on yourself and what you're doing and not on the things around you, you'll get there.

You don't have to agree with all of it, like a lot of philosophy, much of it boils down to the individual, not the entire concept.

You're welcome to hang out, but don't shit up the thread, there's 1000 bullshit threads on Veeky Forums right now, this isn't all about the philosophy, this is about what anyone can take from the principles, it's a place for people who just wanna hang out and talk about steel and sweat.

>pic related, theres plenty of threads for shitposting

This

OP is not stoic. Just another case of 'I'm a special snowflake'.

>"I don't even want those sour grapes": The Philosophy

Reminder that Marcus Aurelius hated everyone and everything, was severely depressed, suicidal and a terrible father.

No, appearantly "Stoic*TM" is for fucking "mysterious lone wolves" aka what your colleagues and classmates refer to you as, "the autistic lonely guy with a mental disorder and no friends"

this is basically like posting
>HUMBLE THREAD. Who here humble, cuz im humble guys. im humble. and im better than you btw.

youre contradicting your statement. youre not humble if you have to say. neither if you say it at all. fucking cunts. when are these faggot opies gonna an hero?

There's books on the philosophical sides of things, but the idea behind a possible /stoic/ general on Veeky Forums would be more about the individuals within it, rather than adhering totally to a single philosophy, it's about the basic principles and how it can be an advantage to some people, who might otherwise over-complicate certain things with emotion.

this board is about lifting. you cant lift behind your fucking computer. once you train a muscle group, you give it rest and shitpost. anyways welcome to Veeky Forums newfriend

So /stoic/ is a stupid idea then. Great.

I wish Veeky Forums had a philosophy board, or something similar (maybe Veeky Forums?)

I tried Reddit but holy fuck everyone there is so obnoxious

You're welcome to go hang out in one of the feels threads full of hug-posting tripfags or attention seeking autists, nowhere did I claim to be anything other than having a non-emotional mindset towards fitness, you guys are thinking emotionally, I think you could learn a lot from /stoic/, you're welcome to stay and hang out lads.

I've been here some time, I'm afraid to dissapointed, and some of the responses to a /stoic/ General so far has highlighted just how infested this board has become with insecure autists who have to project their insecurities to everyone else, and shitposters who make throwaway comments out of an inflated, self-entitled sense of importance.

You should stay and hang out, and see if there's anything you can take away from Stoic principles, once things get a little more crowded in here.

Demoralization eh. You guys will be the first ones to go an hero when shtf..

Tell that to ancient roman emperors

Not at all.

Do you think it would be a good idea for somebody who is of a certain religion to adhere completely and unequivocally to the relevant religious texts? No, of course not, hence why we have a progressive society that makes scientific and medical advancements, and not one that still throws gays from roofs and treats wounds with prayers.

Philosophical matters are the same thing, you can take certain things away from it, or nothing, or all of it, there's no set guidelines on how much you should 'buy into' a philosophy, much like a religion.

I'm sure you're just trying to discredit the whole idea because of whatever personal reasons, these reasons are rooted in emotion, stick around and see if /stoic/ can help you change that.

You sound like a massive pretentious faggot.

Playing an rpg with cheat codes is not winning...you cheated...

Yall better Stop playing with god

/pol/ contains daily philosophy threads, if you don't mind scrolling through the endless nazi and stormfag threads

Maybe they will.

I have a feeling however that the overly emotional feels threads-contributors will have all hung themselves long before SHTF when the 3/10 cashier at Costco doesn't smile at them one day.

So we'll outlive them atleast.

You reckon? Go take a look at the catalog and tell me what you see, like I said, you're welcome to stay and contribute, as long as it amounts to a little more than posting youtube memesters worshipped by /pol/

Pretty sure he actually really loved everyone, he just had trouble with most interactions, have you read his meditations?

I enjoyed this top quality shitposting. Well done OP

Pay no attention to the heretic bashing Rome. He'll pay when the empire rises again

Funnily enough there was a calling for a philosophy board a while ago, but it got buried for some reason

/pol/ does yeah, but it's such a shithole nowadays that Veeky Forums and /k/ are literally the only boards worth browsing, and Veeky Forums is going down the drain, 9/10 threads are either non-lifting related or DYELS asking sticky-tier questions.

>reducing a whole philosophy to a way of dealing with muh emotions

/thread

I'm not the guy you're replying to but what do you mean, like an autist? Or just bad with people socially?

>I'M A MAN, I DON'T SHOW ANY EMOTIONS GRRRRRRR
>LET ME POST A THREAD ABOUT HOW LITTLE I CARE ABOUT MUH FEELS, AND THE HARDSHIPS I ENDURE IN LIFE BY POINTING OUT THAT I IGNORE IT
You're a fag, desu. If you are so stoic why mention it? It is irrelevant to Veeky Forums, you hypocrite.

>Thinking any of the threads on fit are about fitness

lmao pal I was like lmao

>attention seeking autists
i.e. you? Because you could just be a "stoic" in any other thread on Veeky Forums but you decide to make a thread for yourself, because you are a cool kid who just found out about how to be cool.

We fuck boipussy here. Not behave and act like them. LGBT is that way if you want to be emotional like a woman. Some links to stoic texts would be excellent by the way

Piss off, Grero. There's a reason the Empire fell, you fucking faggots.

this isn't actually a bad idea, there's way too many feels threads on here, and it just makes people worse.

stoic is the wrong name for it though, but it would be nice if we had a lifting only general, /plg/ is a hug box for trappy posters and female tripfags, and routine and CBT threads are just for attention seekers

Watch your tone slave. Remember what happened to your hero Spartacus for the glory of Rome...

Whether you agree with the idea of a general for similar minded people or not, distracting you long enough to stop you shitposting for 5 seconds on all the other threads on this board is worth it.

You coming into this thread and whining about the thread is exactly the same as what you're bitching about.

>but the idea behind a possible /stoic/ general on Veeky Forums would be more about the individuals within it, rather than adhering totally to a single philosophy
I guess we should have an /islam/ general too, not actually in regards to fitness, but so fellow Muslims can be Veeky Forums together.

Scientific and medical advancements indeed need discourse for advancement but I said it was a stupid idea because to my mind, discussing religion (and most probably philosophy) will only serve to divide the people in a particular group. Once you have a conviction, you will defend it to the best of your abilities and there are no two people who agree completely on everything. Continued discussion will just result in eventual shitposting where one party shits on the other.

I was only looking for source material to look into because my understanding of stoicism is vague.

What I can gather, though, is that if someone is indeed successful in being a stoic, whatever that entails, he would not be inclined to discuss it further.

Instructions on becoming one?Tips and tricks? Now that is something entirely different, and I would love to see some of that.

so basically, what i'm saying is : sauce?

>mfw

>You coming into this thread and whining about the thread is exactly the same as what you're bitching about.
So? And I'll continue.

we do it's called /CBT/, 90% of posters there are shitskins

I cry everytime

Father has come. Save us from the shit posting please

As will I, gee, it's almost like we're free to do as we like, and you throwing a wobbly about it is irrelevant, because nobody has to do what you say, or even listen.

Did I say you had to do what I say? Or even listen? I thought you were supposed to be rational individual.

I can't save you from yourselves.

I know. They are too simple minded to appreciate simply existing but not advanced enough to appreciate consciousness without form.

I hope they come to their senses at some point

Good point, I should have included some actual reading material, I do have an interesting article about the role of stoicism today, and how it fits into a modern society;

>blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/what-is-stoicism/

what I would say is that a lot of arguments that come from such discussions are because the people involved are too emotionally attached to what they believe, as you pointed out, if stoicism is about suppressing emotion itself, then surely two people who are practicing stoicism would be able to talk about an emotionally charged topic (such as their beliefs) without allowing their emotions to control what they're saying.

This is the problem with a lot of discussions even on Veeky Forums, and that's a big part of why I wanted to create a general for it on this board, rather than /pol/ or even /adv/, because this board seems to be a beacon for insecure guys, who are discussing issues about sex and love with other insecure guys, who are all way too emotional about these topics, and so instead of there being some kind of solid basis for actually solving any problems, it just devolves into projecting insecurities and shitposting, as nobody is thinking logically.

This is meant to be a respite from that, and I think that if more people were to get involved, we could create a general where people can talk about lifting and their own goals and such things in a non-emotional environment, where they can get real answers, and real experience, not about girls and stupid menial shit, shitposting aside I think there's a lot of people on this board who might benefit from that.

Im certainly not the #1 intelligent person on this board, but I am the one who bothered.

You can't have something without nothing

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>I'm the most logical person on Veeky Forums, everybody else is an emotional beta
Is this the evolution of the atheist?

That reminds me of something that happened the other day, a friend of mine is a tattoo artist and some middle aged woman came in to get "not all those who are lost need to be found" tattooed on her upper back, just as he finishes the tattoo, one of the other artists came in and read it, he just looked at it and said, "surely if you don't need to be found, you ain't lost", she wasn't happy.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>Hi there!
Hi.

I have been called stoic before.

thanks for that. anything else that you might find useful?

Arguing has its limitations like that, yes. Now I think I was a bit too skeptic about all this. We may have some good content in here for a little while at least.

But maybe the name should be changed to something else because it attracts shitposters as effectively as tripfags.

>Stoic is for those of us that do whatever the fuck we gotta do, no matter what

>Stoic is for those that know how to take a hit, and keep moving

"We move forward, only forward."

Stannis the Mannis, The King who Cared, The Defender or the Realm, the Based Baratheon

a fictional character gives me so much motivation and led me to Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, and the adoption of Stoic philosophy

>Create a perimeter, and dig trenches, 100 yards apart and prepare the siege weapons
>there won't be a seige, your grace
>Vastly outnumbered by cavalry forces, while your numbers are depleted and on foot
>Lost most of your men, horses, and family
>Your qt red mistress abandoned you
>As the enemy surrounds you, half of your forces show their backs and flee
>take blow after blow, loss after loss
>Never let the feels show
>Continue onward because you are charged with the responsibility
>Take out your sword, and walk towards the fight knowing whats about to happen
>Go on, do your duty

Stannis to me was a metaphor for life. No matter how many losses you take, you keep moving forward, only forward.

Same by 3 different people because I didn't show any emotion during an uncles funeral while everyone else was crying

I think it was more just not giving a shit than stoicism

This reminds me of the /psychopath/ general.

No one who's actually stoic/psychopathic or whatever won't make a big deal about it.

>be LEO
>have to be "stoic" for job

Yeah.

I'm military, and there's a ton of guys around me who have the stoic mindset.

>MFW first thing I saw when I went to PB in trashcanistan was a dead Taliban being eaten by wild dogs

>be in sex crimes unit
>no longer stoic, just dead inside

>forbes.com/sites/kareanderson/2012/09/28/five-reasons-why-stoicism-matters-today/#5a3a8dc16b2b

It's got political overtones, but it's about stoicism in modern times like the Exeter piece, I don't seem as interested about the origins of its teachings as I do about where it fits in today's world, as things are obviously vastly different now.

Yeah it needs a name change, I was thinking simply of /mindset/ general but I the last thing I want is for it to become a place where people talk about themselves and their personal lives, it's about applying our mentality about fitness to the rest of our lives and seeing how it can be beneficial.

I'll agree, stannis is pretty much stoicism embodied, Tywin is similar, but his downfall was his negative emotions towards his son, and ultimately, him banging Tyrions missus, which definitely wasn't a choice made in logic.

im going to join my city's PD after the mil.

what'd you do to get ready for the academy?

is the place your city sends recruits to a police academy, or a police school?

there's a difference.

I just started running a lot more. Also, familiarize yourself with wrestling. It's very important, and it's great conditioning physically.

this should absolutely be called /NoHugs/ General.

anything with philosophy is just gonna bring out all the redditors, which by the looks of it is already has, good idea though senpai

well the site isnt telling me much. The map shows me two nearest academies in the SF Bay
one's a sheriff deputy's academy and the other is just a regular one i guess that one.

oh definitely, Im going to join a martial arts gym in town while i still have time here.

you'd have to go on forums to figure out the difference unfortunately. there are stress academies which are like 6 month boot camps, and then there are police schools, which have minimal stress involved.

Honestly couldn't tell you much about SF's academies. I'm from socal

UK guy here, our police entry exam is a 1 day physical test where you have to do a 1.5 mile run in under 14:30, not sure what the other tests are, is it that easy for you guys aswell?

When I went to my army selection tests there was a guy who came in at 13'25 and was told to apply for the police instead, not in a nice way either.

The actual entry test is fuckall easy--comparable to what you had. It's the initial 10-12 weeks of the grinder that rolls people out.

When I went through we had a 40-60% attrition rate. Most of those people due to shin splints/other injuries because lmaocalisthenics.

Everyone has a shit life. Yeah so what some people are born with a silver spoon what the fuck are you going to do about it? The world owes you fucking nothing. So shut up, eat your fucking tuna and ramen and get big. do your fucking education. get your a's, get into college, uni, get that job, get that wife/husband. just fucking do it.

stop fucking complaining, I did it and have never moaned.

Daily reminder that if you moan about anything you're just as bad as SJW

I definitely recommend A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William B. Irvine (pic related).
He is a professor of philosophy and despite stoicism having some supernatural interpretations of metaphysics, this book is written with secularism in mind.
Another book that might be worth recommending is the obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday. Though not a philosopher, an entrepreneur, in fact, he does have a pretty solid grasp of stoic philosophy and presents it quite nicely in this particular book of his.
Another book that is worth recommending is The Antidote: Happiness for people who hate positive thinking by Oliver Burkeman. This book explores various philosophical systems that embrace hardship instead of shunning it away. There is a chapter about stoicism that is quite nice where he interviews various people that practice stoicism such as psychologist Albert Ellis that helped create cognitive therapy with his own brand called rational emotive therapy.
That is essentially what I got to recommend. Godspeed, user.

you've never moaned during sex?

Thank you for finding this word. I work out hard as hell with no breaks back to back supersets until I'm done, and I don't Instagram it. No help, no vitamins, just work. And you never know I was struggling and screaming in pain if you looked at my face during set

im a sociopath, does that count?

Girls moan, guys grunt.

Some people actually want a solution to the problem and don't want to go down with the baby boomers who did this....

Hey, thanks. I hope I will be able to implement the ideas in my life.

There is a large difference between moaning about the issue and resolving it.

"boo hoo old people have fucked meq"

"I'm going to do X Y and Z to prevent being fucked personally, and then help people who help me"

People don't understand that, when I'm raging, I get very quiet and it's best to leave me alone. Beware the fury of a patient man......

Go to a bawl thread on /b/ and cry about how women don't fuck you because you're too sensitive you emo twink beta faggot and don't forget your fedora to catch your tears!!!

Ive got a cold right now and im not being very stoic about it tbqh senpai.

If youre going for classical roman stoicsm i dont think most of you could achieve it, Im aiming to become a taoist wizard which is way easier to achieve

I'd say I'm pretty /stoic/. I never feel that it's acceptable to complain to others about things that don't also involve them. Yesterday, I was sicker than shit with allergies, but I just kept going. I would curse after a string of 6 or 7 sneezes, but I wouldn't sit there "woe is me" or anything. I don't typically open up to others. My feelings are my own to deal with.

I read his meditations and he was full on bipolar. He went from everything being great, nature and people being beautiful and how he appreciates everyone and everything that is happening in one book, to begging the gods to give him the power to endure the presence of other people and to give him reasons to live in the next.

What are you trying to accomplish with this thread? Have a circle jerk of people like "man we are so fucking tough"? Just so your own thing and focus on yourself and your goals.

> the edgiest teen

I dont understand his reasons for his emotional states therefore he is (insert label here). And people pay you. Why?

You aren't getting the right action then. My girl made me moan a couple of times.

>what is exaggeration for dramatic impact
It's like it's your first day here. (Then again it probably is.)

Is this a tactic to make you look like you fit in

That's crazy, our police training injury rates are minuscule, however it's the same standard for men and women and I think it's purposely low to encourage more women into frontline policing, however I rarely see overweight coppers round these parts and I live two streets from a major station.

Edgy retard containment thread

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

>my feelings are my own to deal with

This is great, this is what I would like to see other people adopt as a mentality, so many men would have more fulfilling lives physically and mentally if they really adopted this mindset, this is what I'm talking about.

Nah, have a read of some of the longer posts if you have time, it's about encouraging people to approach things with a more logical mindset rather than allowing emotions to dictate their decision making, Stoicism is about how we make judgements based on our emotions, and that's why we create problems that may never have existed, by implementing a more logical process into our judgements of a situation, were basing our response to it with a much clearer, factual bearing, which yields better results.
Lads, stoicism in its entirety isn't the main point here, it's about the mindset you have over making decisions, when you approach lifting its super simple, lift heavy and often, eat good food, and you'll get bigger/lose weight, depending on how much you eat and lift, it's not super complex, basic fitness is exactly that, basic, imagine if you approached other aspects of your life in the same way, maybe some of you do, I imagine the vast majority don't, have a look at a couple of links and books that I and others have posted, see if there's something you can take away from it.