I want to buy this (Marcy Diamond Weight Bench with 100 lb. Weight Set)...

I want to buy this (Marcy Diamond Weight Bench with 100 lb. Weight Set), but am worried about being uncomfortable since all the reviews are saying the bar is "too short" and anyone over 5 feet will have problems with this thing (I'm 5'10) Anyone know of a good bench press set that comes with the weights as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10793623
roguefitness.com/rogue-beater-bar
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's shit. Save your money.

any recommendations?

bump

bump again

Olympic barbell + 300lbs weights, power cage and a proper adjistable bench.
All that and youre set.

basically this

a barbell is going to serve you a lifetime, dont be cheap on that

I dont know what the set is, but if the bar is shorter than 180 cm its shit. Most big bars are 210cm anyway. Also, if u want a homegym I strongy recomend a bench with free stands (good if they are high enough so you can squat from them).

okay, im on a budget, so what if I got this instead?

dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10793623

If you get a cheap bar, you're just going to wind up having to buy again when it bends. If you can't afford a good barbell, you can't afford a home gym.

I'm kinda new to this, what's considered a good barbell? Can you give me an example?

bump

not the OP in the thread, but what constitutes a "good" barbell

everyone keeps telling me to get a good one, but what does that objectively mean other than buying a more expensive one? Am I looking for certain materials? special coating? warranty? specific design?

>anyone over 5 feet will have problems with this thing

lmao lanklets btfo

If you're looking for something lower cost to get the job done, I'd say take a look at this.

roguefitness.com/rogue-beater-bar

Don't buy bars from the local department stores. They're just shitty Chinese manufactured bars. A good barbell will last you the rest of your life. If you need to save money, try looking for used York barbells. If you want to buy new, check out Rogue Fitness. All their bars are top notch and made in the US and their customer service is fantastic. If your bar ever bends or breaks through normal use, they'll replace it.

If you buy used you need to keep your eyes open for certain things. The bar needs to be straight and the collars need to be able to spin freely. Check to see how thick the bar is/feels. A very thick bar is a sign of poor manufacturing. Standard bars are 28-29 mm. If there's a hex bolt on the end of the collars, keep walking. The knurling should also feel like it gives you a solid grip. Cheap knurling sucks.

don't want to start a new thread about this

what if i just buy a stainless steel 50mm round profil (pic related) and use this instead of a bar?
50mm could easily handle 250kg without bending and i could weld some shit to it so the weight stay where it should be.
would this be a good alternitave? 2m long would cost me around 50€.

i'm a welder/mechanic incase someone asks...

Good list, thanks for the advice user

>olympic so the weights can rotate (50mm diameter)
>at least 180 cm (preferably 210cm) long
>at least 20mm diameter main diameter, preferably 29mm
>made from full steel (no hollow inside)
>could have knurled grip area

oly bars are much more expensive than straight bars and if you dont plan on doing lots of cleans and snatches they arent really necessary

buy used if you are on a budget, barbells dont have to be shiny

thats very thick but it should cost much to have a machining shop work it down to where standrard plates will fit

welp, why not, but the grip is going to be a bitch

also you need to know what type of steel this exactly is, if you are a welder you propably know more about steel than just "its stainless" right?

50 mm is too thick for a barbell. The spinning collars are very important. You'd also need to machine a knurling onto the bar. All in all, bad idea unless you have access to a barbell manufacturing facility. I doubt even a skilled CNC machinist could make a good barbell at home.

I got the exact same set. It was $200 and then I got another $20 by signing up for a credit card. Even if you end getting a better bar, $180 for a full set of Olympic grip plates is great.

Always look at Craigslist for equipment. Plenty of NYR middle age retards selling their shit they only used twice in 8 months.

i could make it at work for free

i work with stainless steel every day for the last 6years. yes, i know what i'm doing.

you're right, the grip would be my biggest problem.

maybe i will just buy a proper barbell.