Getting ready to bulk

I have been cutting since January 1st, when I weighed 247 lbs (I'm 5'11"). I'm down to 168 lbs now (170 lbs in the progress photo). In the past 3 months, my body fat has gone from 31% to 18%, and I've gained 5.5 lbs of muscle (based on DEXA scan results). I have some loose skin in my lower stomach region as a result of my weight loss, and I'm hoping it will tighten up over time, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Here's where I have some questions... Most people suggest 10% body fat as the starting point for a bulk. I've always thought this sounded nice, because you can build muscle while maintaining a nice physique and not getting too fat in the process. However, given my current stats, 10% body fat would put me at 155 lbs. After 8 months of cutting and almost 80 lbs of weight loss, I don't think it will be too tough to drop another 15 lbs. However, I'm sure a lot of people would say that this is too light for a 5'11" male. While I don't think of myself as "skinny fat," perhaps I've gotten so used to the way I look after seeing myself from day to day that I'm blind to it. So, I thought I'd get some second opinions. Based on my current physique, would I look terrible at 155 lbs? Would it be a good idea to cut down to that level before I start bulking up? I know it's largely a matter of personal preference, but I'd still appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Here are the DEXA scan results that I mentioned

OP here. I should probably mention that my current goal is, in fact, to cut down to 10% before I start my bulk. I just want to see if others agree. Thanks!

Maintaining 10% bodyfat while trying to build mass as a natural is a full time fucking job.

The people who're saying this shit is possible are on gear. A lot of gear and life shortening fat burners.

Look, stay the course, and only slightly raise your calorie intake while lifting to put on mass and strength.
Do not go overboard.
Do not fall for the bulk and cut lie.

You did damned good dude. Don't let a bullshit meme created by steroid peddlers and fastfood shills trip you up.

Have you thought about getting excess skin removed? Is it possible?

Weight before and current?

First of all congrats on the cut, I imagine that took a lot of willpower. Truth be told, that looks quite a bit more than 31% BF, either way, well done.

So now what are your lifting goals? Strength training? Bodybuilding? Or better what kind of routine are you looking into? You're already looking quite lean so you're looking pretty ready for a bulk. You could lose more BF if you really wanted to, but in my opinion I don't see much point until you've got quite a few lbs of muscle to show off..you've got a nice baseline to create good conditions for growth (assuming you're at novice/advanced novice progression) with a slow bulk. I say go for it, but if you want to lose more just because its a nice 'reset' and see what you look like then fine, but I think you wouldn't be gaining much. As you head towards single digit BF numbers, loss of muscle mass is inevitable for a natty lifter.

I can't help with your question, sorry, but holy shit you look incredible! We'll done, keep it up!

I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought I was going to actually maintain 10% body fat while I bulked. I was going to go for a clean bulk (~500 calories above maintenance) to put on muscle. I'll gain a little bit of fat in the process, but it should be manageable. I figure I can bulk until I reach about 15% body fat and then cut back down to 10% before starting another bulk. That way, I can gain some mass and keep my physique in check.

Don't try to get fat just to put on a bit more muscle.

Just eat a bit more lean protein and carbs. That's all. Keep everything else in check.

I've thought about getting it removed if I reach my body fat goal and it won't tighten up, but the surgery costs about ~$5,500, on average. Plus, I wouldn't be able to lift for 4-6 weeks, which would suck... My starting weight was 247 lbs, and I'm 168 lbs now.

Damn fine work dude. You made it.

How many cals did you cut at and what were your lifts before and after?

Thanks! I was 247 lbs in the "before" picture, and I was WAY over 31% body fat. I should have explained that a bit better... I was at 31% 3 months ago, when I got my first DEXA scan done (halfway through my cut). Here's a picture of me at 31%.

My goals are more on the "bodybuilding" end of the spectrum. I'd like to put on some decent lean mass, and I'm just "setting the stage" for that now, so to speak. Luckily, I've still got my "newb gains" working for me, which is why I have been gaining muscle, despite my 1,500-calorie/day diet!

>dat skin
would you like to know what happened after I read the sticky?
This is me after I slashed the weight but before I lifted

Post your body

Thanks a lot!

Eh... in your situation... just eat enough to where you're making gains...

Even if you get more fat, eat until your make muscle.

Then when you have more muscles, cut down. Yes, you might lose strength and size, but concentrate on hypertrophy when the absolute power goes. Since you're muscles are bigger, it should help stretch out some lose skin.

What kind of diet did you do?

Go to 2500 or 3000 cal per day; and make it meat proteins and brown rice and vegetables. That's to put on muscle but not get fat from bulk eating.

I'm currently cutting at 1,500 calories per day. My lifts are going up by relatively large amounts across the board because I'm still in the "newb gains" phase.

If my loose skin was anywhere other than my stomach, I'd have more faith in the "build muscle to fill in the loose skin" theory. However, I doubt my abs are going to get large enough to fill out my loose stomach skin, no matter how much muscle I put on.

All I did was calculate my TDEE using the Katch-McArdle formula. Then, I set a calorie deficit of 500-750 calories and stuck to it. 45% of my calories come from protein, while 30% come from fat, and 25% come from carbs. I lift heavy every weekday and rest on the weekends. I have not had any caffeine or done any cardio during this cut.

dude, why not just do a dirty bulk to gain mass as fast as possible and enough fat to fill in excess skin again, and then just do a slowwww cut so the skin has time to adjust???

Good job OP, 'miring your hardwork and dedication. What program are you currently doing?

Because I don't believe in the theory that a person's skin will completely return to its original level of tightness if it's given "enough time to adjust." I think that skin will only stretch so far before it loses some of its elasticity, and that is also affected by the amount of time you keep it stretched out. I let myself get pretty huge, so I'm thankful that it has snapped back as much as it has. It's pretty depressing that I've put in all this time and effort to get in great shape and I'm still left with embarrassing saggy skin in my lower stomach area, though... That has been the only thing about my transformation that I've been unhappy about.

Good job, dude. Im fuckin peanut butter and jealous

Thanks! I basically just made up my own program. As far as my diet goes, I described it here:

As for lifting, I work out for about 1.5 hours every weekday. I do chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, shoulders/traps on Wednesday, arms on Thursday, and legs on Friday. I do about 5-6 exercises per body part, 5-6 sets per exercise, and 8-12 reps per set.

Thanks! Good luck with your goals!

>mfw this is literally me

Hmmm interesting. I'm currently doing SL 5x5, we started the same time, but you made more progress than i had. FML, i guess i should do PPL too.

Everyone is a bit different. I created my lifting regimen based on what felt right for me. I don't like pairing back with biceps and chest with triceps because the smaller muscles tire out too quickly. For a while I experimented with "back/tri and chest/bi," but I settled on a "1 body part per day" routine because I felt like I could really work each body part properly that way. For what it's worth, I try to ensure that I use enough weight to do just about every set to failure.

I'm your height, and I stayed around 150 for a long time. I don't think I was to thin. When I was at 135 (thanks weed and tobacco and minimum wage) people would complain and tell me I was emaciated.

If I were you I'd cut to 160 or 155 just to see what it looked like. Amazing job btw.

Thanks! Yeah, I think it will be neat to see what I look like at 160 or 155. I'm really enjoying the journey. Plus, I feel like I'm at that stage in my cut where each pound of fat I lose will be more and more noticeable. That's my hope, anyway!

Agreed. Also at your height. Lose the last remaining pounds as they tend to be the hardest to lose. You may even have to do some cardio. The last remaining fat seems to last forever. Don't get yourself distracted by the fact the you look kinda good now, so you can start eating shit. That's the biggest mistake you can make. And imho if you start bulking now you will end up with some minor gains at a 20-23% bodyfat and looking average. Good job so far man, but there's still at least 2-3 months left...