Diet soda/artificial sweetners

Most soda uses aspartame, but how bad is it for you?

Does it really interfere with weight loss? I've heard all the speculation and rhetoric around it:

>it causes weight gain because some people will eat a double cheese burger and thing that the diet soda offsets it
...not really the fault of the soda itself. it's a behavorial/knoledge gap

>it causes weight gain because it tricks your brain into thinking you ate something sweet
i don't understand how that would work

>it causes cancer
there were studies done in the 80's but these weren't very well designed. they fed lab rats human sized doses on the stuff, as i remember reading.

Other urls found in this thread:

ergo-log.com/justtastecarbs.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why would you want to drink that garbage in the first place

i lose weight when I drink soda with HFCS or table sugar in it.

I gain weight when I drink artificial sweetner soda.

If you've been addicted to normal sodas for a while then these are a good transition before gradually giving them up completely.

forget the diet sodas. just switch to seltzer water. the fizzy feeling was more than enough to get me over it.

Supposedly your body creates insulin when it thinks that your ingesting sugar, the sugar isn't there so you have an excess insulin which turns into fat. This theory makes sense but I'm not sure just how badly this happens if it is true and I assume it would be a lot worse if you actually just consumed a sugary beverage instead, I enjoy diet sodas a lot, it's a lot easier to diet with them rather than just drinking water

An enzyme turns into fat? Nice broscience.

What I gather from what I read the insulin turns other food or calories in our body into fat, I'm not completely sure desu and I'm not even sure if it's proven

This is really the only explenation that sounds right about why diet drinks are bad and I've only really taken it with a grain of salt

The only reason why I wouldn't recommend them is due to the fact they'll bloat you.

I like have a flat stomach all day long (not just when I wake up) so this means drinking carbonated drinks is out of the question.

Then don't give out false information if you yourself aren't sure how the process works.

This so much. Also avoid too much sodium and big quantities of bread and beans. That shit always gets me bloated af.

Seems we have a lot in common :)

personally I prefer the taste over regular soda. No idea why.
I just want to know if it's actually harming my weight loss

I can't say whether diet is any better or worse than regular soda, since I have never drunk regular but from my experience, it doesn't affect weight loss at all.
I do around 2-3 diet coke and rum cocktails every day (I do them light, around 60ml of rum to 0.5l of coke), I don't even calculate their calories or mark them down, yet my weight is dropping consistently.
Definitely causes some bloating, though, but anything carbonated does.

this is bs man. wouldnt diabetics then have to be extremely careful about more than just food? If it applies to diet soda, then theoretically many other zero cal items could spike insulin. which would be very dangerous for diabetics

This. You have to change your mindset to make it. I personally LOOOOVE sodas and miss them as hell but I REFUSE to give in and drink one even if it's sugar-free, because that teaches me that sodas are desirable. I have to unlearn that behaviour, learn to hate soda and love broccoli instead.

You're basically playing a trick on your mind into thinking that it's getting some sugar, though of course, it's not.

It's something I've noticed: With diet soda (not diet drinks in general, just diet sodas it seems) I quickly start to crave junk food to go with it. In that sense, it's troubling if I'm trying to cut down on high calorie foods. I've had good results with the shit you mix into water though, you know those packets of flavored no calorie dust? That stuff. I put a couple packs in a gallon container and it lasts me a day or two. I always feel fine, and not like cheating.

Maybe the increased appetite has something to do with the carbonation, then. I don't know.

Just my two cents.

When I was cutting, I would keep myself full by drinking 4 liters spread out through the day. Might give you a headache, but that's about it

Caffeine

i'm in deep in caffeine addiction and for mixing alcohol

>Rinsing mouth with sugary drinks fools the body into thinking that lots of energy will come into it
>making sports people perform better

ergo-log.com/justtastecarbs.html

But since it doesnt get any sugar, they dont know what the long term effects could be. So its pretty potentially dangerous and spooky.

Aspartame is possibly the most heavily-studied substance by the FDA. There is no evidence to suggest that it is bad for you.

But its a thing of industry. Why should we care what industry puts out? We are not industry. The arguments for usage of this substance are something like

>well its cheaper for us to manifacture
>well it makes substance X in condition Y real easy to make

or some other derivatives of that.

The arguments for this substance are basically like this

>a dog tells to a cat
>"well cat, you see barking at the mail man is really healthy and normal, you should do it too"

So at a fundamental level, to me it doesnt matter even in the smallest bit of how they market it to be good or not good. There is no way in hell that I would ingest this substance, no matter what.

Because I have no reason to. The argument is not "Here are reasons why ingesting itsnt bad for you", the argument is "why should you ingest it in the first place?"

and there are zero reasons for it. For all I care, the industry can die and go fuck itself.

there are only five fucking words in your picture and "aspartame free" are two of them

The FDA is not the industry, ya dingus

Study after study has shown it to be safe and fine. Now, you can decide that you don't need it and abstain, but there's no reason to avoid it other than personal preference.

but why should you consume it in the first place?

I drink it for the caffeine content. I'd rather not ingest calories with it, so I drink diet soda

So aspartame is caffeine?

No, aspartame is a sweetener in a convenient caffeinated beverage. I could just drink black iced coffee, but that's a pain and tastes bad.

So aspartame is not caffeine. Okay. What kind of macro is aspartame then? If its not a macro? What kind of benefit does it give to you?

I'm not even going to try to understand what point you're trying to make

Answer the question you filthy corporate snake shill.

I'm not shilling anything. You can choose to avoid aspartame all you want. But there's no scientific evidence that abstinence is any healthier than indulgence

>it causes weight gain because it tricks your brain into thinking you ate something sweet
>i don't understand how that would work
so its our fault you can't understand? why bother explaining it to you if you clearly just lack the mental fortitude to process the concept?

Answer the question then. What kind of benefit is there?

Is it a macro? Does it bring other benefits?

Because it seems like there are no benefits. Thus why the fuck should I want to consume it? Why should anyone consume it?

its the same argument as

>corporate shill:"well I put grounded up rock into this food"
>sane person: "why?"
>CS:"Well its not like its harmful, you can choose not to consume it"
>SP:"but why?"
>CS:"le infinite repeat loop"

See people, a genuine corporate shill here. Reported. I hope you get banned.

You guys are fucking retarded

Learn2google. I can't wait to see all the dumb fuckers from fit die slowly from diabetes.

increase in apetite is because the sweet receptors in your brain fire when you drink the artificial stuff, but your body never receives the input it would expect from consuming actual normal sugar. the lack of input confuses your body and that how you end up with unbalanced chemicals to compensate for the fucked up equation. our bodies aren't evolved to process this crap like this, it fucks with our natural systems

>no evidence
thats just plain wrong. if you had said "nothing has been proven" you would've been right. or "the body of evidence isn't strong/big enough yet to be concrete" perhaps. but "no evidence"- youre just plain fucking stupid

I guess diet soda is fine if you're drinking the recommended water throughout your day. You're just adding unecessary liquid calories that are absorbed faster by the body than food is.

Basically it's trash spectrum and not recommended in the slightest if you're looking to lose weight, because of the sugar content you are more likely to down a litre of that shit in one hour. Craving for sweets is pretty real man.

don't get mad, y/n

have you ever been diagnosed with autism or a similar personality disorder

having a nice latte is way better if you're looking for caffine. especially with whole milk and just a teaspoon of sugar so you get protein and it keeps you full and helps time release the energy. wayyyy better

>diet drinks increase performance and increase caloric consumption

sounds like a 30c diet soda is all the preworkout you need

You still have zero arguments FOR it. Seriously though, I hope everyone in this thread looks upon you and learns of the corporate shilling here for certain substances.

gay

>can't argue
>retorts with ad hominem

:^) ebin comeback comrade

There are no benefits. There are no problems. If you want to taste something sweet without having to consume calories, then use it. If you don't, then don't.

Jesus Christ you're fucking autistic

So then it's pointless and makes a weak minded person susceptible to actually drinking it in excess because of the high sugar content.

Be realistic how many obese people actually say no do soda drinks.

>want to taste something sweet
>don't want calories

There's a for

I'm a server in a restaurant. That's where I drink diet soda. I drink it because I want to quickly get some caffeine in me. Because I'm an employee, the soda is free. Because it's soda, I just stick my cup under the machine.

Jesus Christ you people really care a lot about why people consume things that have no pros nor cons

>high sugar content

There's no sugar, are you retarded?

And you have no arguments against it, so why do you give a shit whether anybody drinks it?

There is no sugar. There's aspartame, which is a zero calorie artificial sweetener

If there are no benefits, it doesnt matter if there are no problems. There are many substances that cause no problems for the body. Like cruched rock probably. It probably would just pass through the digestive tract without a problem...dont know for sure but its just an example...

yet there is no reason whatsoever to include it in food. Because its not food. Food should either be a macro, a mineral or some special substance like caffeine. That has a desired, positive effect.

Again, what kind of positive effect does it have for me? Why cant you shills just admit that its a corporate only thing? Are you so afraid that consumers dont share your interests at all and are more than willing to go away from you?

Because that is what I did for 3 years straight now. Every time a new product comes into the store, the first thing I do is to flip it over and go over the list of substances that are on the back.

If you, or your little chemfag buddies in the office think that you are so smart, by including some faggy chemical that saves you 5% in storage costs or something.

Well I aint buying that product. Its as simple as that. No matter what you put in tv, or how cleverly you design your package.

I havent bought that kind of crap for 3 years and I still am not going to buy that. I am also going to tell other people to not do the same as you can see here in this thread.

Why? Because fuck you.

>sugar gives you diabetes
lmao

Whether it's an artificial sweetener or not doesn't matter. It still mimics sugar and targets the same receptors as sugar would. It might as well be sugar.

Crushed rocks dont taste nice

the ergo link proves that there is an effect of tasting something sweet though.

And there are no long term studies dont by its effects in the long term.

So its a potential hazard, with no upsides.

I guess sour candy might as well be a lemon.

There's no long term studies for tonnes of shit.

Like the effects of hormones used to makes chickens bigger. Bet you still eat chicken though.

It might as well be like a lemon. I hate lemons and sour candy equally. And I'm sure if someone likes a lemon they'll like sour candy as well and be more likely to finish a bag of sour candies in one sitting.

Yeah same, diet soda turns me into an overeating gains monster, 3k+ calories becomes easy mode.

I live in europe, the meat here isnt USA grade...

There where I can avoid risks I do so. I havent touched a soda in 3 years and more...no sugary snacks even...

Besides, thats just a sunken cost fallacy.

>stop eating what i don't eat REEEEEEEEEEE

lmao

>no long term studies
It's been around for 50 fucking years

You're an Americuck, so it would make sense that you're incredibly complacent and subservient. Only in the USA will you find low grade, low quality meat that is banned from other developed countries like Canada and Europe.

Illegal to use hormones on poultry in the US

Christ, do you people learn about nutrition from Joe Rogan's podcast?

and have any beneficial studies come out in favor of it?

Except it doesn't have the caloric/carbohydrate content of sugar, which is pretty much the only downside of sugar that I and non-autists care about

If there are no pros nor cons, why do you care so much?

Why even eat anything when you can just drink glasses of soylent?

Guess what I'm drinking a coke zero right now and you can't do shit about it faggot

Because of the potential estrogen compounds inside of it. Meat eaters have 30% more test compared to vegetarians.

Again, if it has no benefits, then it has no reason for consumption. As on this planet there are many things that have no benefits for consumption. Millions of things even. Thus I do not consume them.

>what is tea or coffee
>drinking vodka and coke like a 15 year old girl

There's no benefit in this conversation for you.

I wouldn't want to stop you from going extinct :)

this conversation is not food you tard.

>Again, if it has no benefits, then it has no reason for consumption

I would argue that if it has no downsides, then you have no reason not to consume

But then, I actually enjoy experiencing life

Who cares if it's not food. There's not benefit. It's consuming your time.

Well enjoy your corporately funded poison user. I'll just drink my filtered water and vegetable juices for real nutrition.

You shouldn't even be consuming cane sugar, and certainly not high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.

Only consume honey, maple syrup, fruits, figs, and dates.

Then why dont you filter out poop from people, put artificial flavoring into it and then eat it up? No downsides to that.

>water
>nutrition

?????

Nestle shill?

What's it like to not believe in science?

How do you have internet access in your dirt-floored hovel? Do you believe it's brought to you by the Sky God, or from the spirits of your dead ancestors?

>vegetable juices for nutrition
>filtered water
>reading comprehension
>common sense

Candida feed off this shit and destroy your entire digestive tract. Have fun literally destroying your body. Look into the history of how the FDA approved aspartame, and then ask yourself why they had to resort to such methods.

You mean sewage water recycling like they do in the UAE? Sure thing

>incorrect syntax
>thinking I'm in the wrong

lmao

>all this dumb corporate shilling
>all this dumb beast tier arguments of "well muh feel goodz"

Heresy. If I was a mod, the ban hammer would have fallen upon these shills, or extremely cucked-not-making-it faggets.

It feels pretty great to be quite honest with you family.
How is that meaningless 9-5 slave wage working out for you?

>not using your brain
>taking everything written literally
Kys

It's fine. I love my work and get to spend my money on things I enjoy, rather than suckling at the tit of the welfare state like a child

No I mean literal poop. Why dont you eat it? Poop from healthy people, when filtered out of its taste, but not its bacteria, is considered to be a probiotic.

So why dont you eat poo?

You could even drink pee and change the taste with "harmless" things like aspartame

Better yet, you could just go outside, take a scoop of sand, and eat it. Because why not? Apparently its probably not harmful.

Veeky Forums and diet soda is like the Internett and cats

Then by all means enjoy your small things in life as if they meant the world to you. It's all you'll ever have. :^)
Meanwhile I'll be raising cattle and building my house in 2 years. After that I'll enjoy an early retirement where all I'll do is give advice to failing companies from my future home office and go fishing when I'm bored.

Sounds like the typical butthurt virgin mod you find on reddit

If 50 years of studies have shown it to be safe, sure thing

So are you a builder, farmer or consultant?

Or just lying on the internet?

>if I were a mod, I'd ban people who disagree with me

>>>/reddit/

Only down side to aspartame is that it releases insulin.

I will be a farmer later on in my life. As of now I am a consultant.
Obviously I won't be building the house by myself. I'm not a carpenter or a plumber or an electrician.
Your vanity betrays your common sense.