QTDDTOT

Old one expired

Other urls found in this thread:

strengthlevel.com/
sailrabbit.com/bmr/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

At what point should one move on from Starting Strength to a different programme?

I've been doing strength training for a few months and I've made some strength gains but I still looks small and I'd like to work on hypertrophy.

170cm
67kg

Squat 40kg -> 92kg
OHP 20kg -> 42kg
Deadlift 60kg -> 110kg
Rows 40kg -> 70kg

Should I stick with SS even though I can only increase the weight every 3-4 workouts, or should I move onto a higher-rep programme? If so, can Veeky Forums recommend any?

Hey fit! Need advice on my abs routine. I do it 3 times a week.

I use 10Kg/22lbs weight, behind my head/neck.
>Weighted plank 1 min
>Weighted side plank, 2 min (one per side)
>One arm one leg plank (30 sec each arm/leg)
>30 weighted crunches
>60 weighted bicycle crunches (that is 30 each side)
>30 Jackknives crunches
>60 weighted side crunch (30 each side)
>Then I throw in a few leg raises/windshield leg raises.

I aim for hypertrophy. I can't quite increase the weight much more, my arm are getting sorer than my abs... How can I/should I improve or modify the routine?

Can I make SL 5x5 a push/pull split?

I posted this in its own thread but now I realise my mistake so here is a pasta:

Im in the process of losing about 56lbs. Currently im about 42lbs of the way there and I have found a lot of loose skin, most noticeably when I lean over or sit down.

My question is: at the age of 22 and reasonably healthy can I expect this skin to shrink down to fit my new form and if so how long will that take?

Im gonna start lifting pretty soon after im done with my diet so I guess that will help, but even if I didnt bulk would it still shrink?

Thanks.

You are not even close to done with SS. How long do you rest between sets? How much are you eating and sleeping?

Why would you want to do that?

It depends. Skin is moderately elastic. If you have no stretch marks, it could, given enough time. If the loose skin is there because of stretch marks, I'm afraid your skin will never be as fitting as it could have been. Bulking will help though!

Thanks, unfortunately its most noticeable on my abdomen and im not sure how much bulking I can do there in comparison to the limbs...

>How long do you rest between sets?
2-5 minutes
>How much are you eating?
Aiming for around 2300 calories per day. I don't want to overbulk because I've already developed a bit too much bodyfat for my liking. Pic related is my goal so nothing grand in terms of strength
>Sleeping
7-8 hours per night

According to strengthlevel.com/ I'm novice/intermediate for my weight.
What percent of my bodyweight do you think I should lift before moving on?
I thought SS was just to give you a foundation before working on your main goals.

I'd say post pics if you want a more accurate answer. Further more, please note that I'm only giving an opinion, I don't have direct experience with that so I might have said something stupid - if that was the case I hope someone would correct me.
Though in any case, give it some time, and be sure to always be hydrated. Your skin should shrink a bit, and with a bulk you'll be alright.

If 48 hours is all that is needed for a muscle to fully recover, why is it that many routines (SS, SL, PPL, etc.) have you taking more time in between them? For example, SS has you waiting 4 days between deadlifts, ohp, bench, while you squat every other day.
Couldn't you do all the main lifts in one exercise session every other day?

How are my legs? Fully flexing here and they still look fat

Thanks. Ill post a pic at a later time when im finished with my weight loss.

>2300

There's your answer. Increase your calories, do PHUL, and then cut.

2 minutes is way too short of a rest for a strength training program. Take as long as you need to fully recover from the last set. See how that helps. If you're still having problems progressing, eat more. You can make awesome gains on SS, but you need to eat. If you're really scared of putting on some body fat for whatever reason, slowly increase calories by 100 or 200 everytime you stall.

Strength standards are bs, don't use them as guidance for your training. You can use SS as a "foundation" but an under 100 kg squat sucks. SS can take you far beyond that, but you need to eat. How long you can milk SS depends on the person. Usually, a healthy, young adult male can get a bench in the low 200s, a squat in the low to mid 300s and a deadlift in the high 300s, sometimes even low 400s(in lbs).

My rests range from 2-6 minutes and I feel I get plenty of rest. The heavier the set, the more rest.

Isn't the whole bulking then cutting thing broscience? Isn't the recommended way to gain mass to maintain a steady calorie surplus

I know you say that a

is the scooby calorie calculator fucked?
sticky says to eat 12-14*weight in lbs to lose weight, scooby's calculator gives me 900-400 more calories than the sticky equation. something isn't right.

sorry, ment 10-12*weight in lbs

Go for scooby's, the calculation method is imo more correct. I kinda like this one too sailrabbit.com/bmr/
They take into account your BF, which is important. In any case, if something feels odd, just eat less an monitor your weight. If it goes up/down too fast/slow, reduce or increase your cals.
Keep in mind that any calculator is based on average people in your situation, so any way no calculator can be perfectly accurate for your BMR or your TDEE (plus, you don't burn exactly the same amount of cals everyday...)

how many calories did scoobs give you and how much do you weight?

You won't make any further progress with strength or aesthetics unless you eat more. If 90kg is significantly above your body weight, you have a problem unless you're like 5'2''. You aren't going to look impressive because you have nothing with which to look impressive.

Well I'm 67kg and 5 foot 7 inches so I'm the recommended weight for my height. Are you suggesting I need to put on more weight?

shameless self bump...

Bodyweight percentages are an inaccurate way to measure progress. A 100 kg squat is never impressive, regardless of bodyweight. A 250 lb guy who squats 500 lbs is at a whole different level than a 150 lb guy who can squat 300. They're not comparable.

Bulking and cutting on and off is not well suited for naturals. What I usually recommend is a "bulk" through your novice linear progression phase, and then get lean during intermediate training.

Either way, no matter what you do, food fuels growth. If you don't eat, you won't grow.

Yes, you can stand to gain a solid 20 lbs.

thanks
i weigh 213 lbs, which gives me 3413 calories TDEE in the calculator, subtract 500 from this number like the sticky says and i have 2900 calories which will make me "lose weight" according to the sticky.
the sticky equation gives me 10-12*213lbs =2130-2556 calories which should make me "lose fat", according to the sticky
tested some other calculators, they seems to agree with the equation, 2400-2600 calories area to lose 1 pound a week, weird

What would happen if I decided to drink a gallon of water every day for three months? Nothing but water and occasionally some milk. Would I die?

3413 for a TDEE is pretty high. A "normal" human male as a TDEE of around 2000~2500 calories... In the calculators, did you take into account your body fat?

you should stop doing cardio and just do weighted incline (decline?) situps instead and aim to increase the weight.

Stopping cardio is a no go for me. Why should I stop anyway? In any case I barely do more than 2 hours, sometimes 3, in a week. But what would it change regarding an ab workout?

And ok for the sit-ups, I'll try those!

your "ab routine" is literally cardio, that's what I'm saying.

Oh, sorry, my bad!

Are chicken wings fit?

Specifically Buffalo Wild Wings wings. They are so fucking good.

>3413 for a TDEE is pretty high
yeah i thought so as well.
none of the calculators i tried, including scooby's, let me put in bf.

depends. In terms of junk food, they're better than other options. Macros aren't that great if they're breaded and fried, and if you're on a cut it's not a smart option. If you must, though, make your own. I sous vide mine and then finish them off under the broiler. No oil on them, just seasoned with salt and pepper. Once they're crisped up, I toss them in buffalo sauce, which has an insignificant amount of calories, and I love blue cheese dressing with mine so I get that ken's lite dressing.

Then try this one! sailrabbit.com/bmr/

then you put in that you're active x amount of days. Protip: you're not. The activity levels in those calculators are for like olympic athletes.

Plus, BF is in step 6 of scooby's calculator on the meal planner page...

Yeah this also.
Consider I'm 132 pounds, about 5"8 (60Kg/175cm). I do about 2 to 3h of cardio a week, and 3h of moderate weight lifting at home. BUT I have a very sedentary job. My TDEE is less than 2200 Cals... And this number comes from a strict monitoring of how much cals I eat and how much I weight for the past 9 month, so unless I've been consistently weighting my food wrong, it should be pretty accurate.

Rate my 2 week ss progress.
I'm on a cut btw. 5'10 king of manlets
Bodyweight dropped from 81.7 kg (24 percent body fat) to 80.5 kg
Squat 40kg to 70kg
OHp 20 kg to 30 kg
Bench press 30 kg to 50 kg
Deadlift 40 kg to 80kg

progress is progress, I don't know what kind of validation you're looking for.

thanks, ill check it out

Will a 1000 calorie deficit cause me to lose significant mass if I eat enough protons? Also is lifting three days a week good for bulking?

How to tell if you have a hernia? Took a shower after a squat session and noticed a small red lump just smaller than a pea on my abdomen, right under my rib cage on the right side.

A bit of extra info
>No pain. A little discomfort. Could be from me touching and pressing it + cringing at the thought of having a hernia.
>Doesn't "go back in"
>Doesn't really stick out far, it's almost like a really big pimple or a small keloid
>I *think* it moves with the skin i.e. i think the lump is in/attached to my skin

Yes, and yes.

Here's my advice: Don't ask medical info on Veeky Forums. Go to a doctor

Is it okay to take a scoop of protein in the morning with breakfast and then two scoops after workout in the evening or is that too much for a single day?

I know, but it's 2am user and I'm hoping some medicfag/user thats experienced similar may be able to let me know what the fuck happened so I can calm my nerves.

>Will a 1000 calorie deficit cause me to lose significant mass if I eat enough protons?
doesn't matter how much protein you eat, you're starving your body and it reacts in kind.
>Also is lifting three days a week good for bulking?
sure

post a picture at least you fucking retard. And don't ask us, go see a doctor.

it's just a source of protein, so there's no such thing as "too much" in terms of scoops a day (sure you can go overboard with protein in general, but if you want to get your protein requirement just from powder, you can do that). That being said, you should probably work on fixing your diet so that you don't need any scoops.

I'm probably over reacting. Tried taking photos and it just looks like a red mark.

I had slight lower back pain after a back workout last week, hurt trying to sleep that night but was gone in the morning. Worked chest yesterday, about 3 days after the first incident, my lower back was a little sore again this morning when I woke up. Whats wrong with me bros? Am I dieing?

can anybody explain why people are so dedicated to getting specific numbers of reps in a lift? my lifting buddy always gives me shit for not doing the correct reps, but if I feel i can do more I just do. I know the whole "if you can do more then add weight" but sometimes the jump is too much for me to hit my target reps at a higher weight. he also says that I sometimes tire myself out too much but I rarely fuck up my later reps because I went too hard on the earlier ones, and it seems a good price to pay to push myself on the earlier ones

>G-Guys I'm having lots of medical problems since I started exerting tremendous pressure on my body and drinking a gallon of milk per day just to force my muscles to get bigger. W-what am doing wrong?

God this board is pathetic. Fucking meatheads.

What is your problem cunt

So theres this guy in my gym who trains fire fighters. I asked him if he could help me improve my DL form. He recommended me not to do DLs. He says that everyone who deadlift have a fucked up back 5 years after. I just started with Strong Lifts ... I don´t know what to do. I think he´s right.

Whats a good ss/sl routine can someone post it please

exercising isn't an exact science. That being said, doing more reps won't necessarily help you. And if you can do more reps, you can increase the weight. MAYBE just don't increase it by too much.

you're retarded. There's your (You) now fuck off.

?

maybe I just dont get the rep concept. I aim for 8 but go as high as 10 to 12 if I put on too low of a weight. I think mis-weighting is my biggest problem. trying to gain muscle mass atm if that matters

in a few minutes someone will post an infographic about how it really doesn't matter.

Pick a routine, the sticky has solid ones, and follow them. The routine is more than just the exercises, it includes what you should do about your diet and how you should progress.

Probably fuck their backs up due to genetics or poor form.

he's not, and I feel sorry for those fire fighters.

>enroll in a new university
>at the last one had friends and whatever, mostly because i was drinking hard
>always been a fat fuck, decide it's time for a change
>working out, feels great but a lot of events are at bars/involve drinking
>can't go because muh calories
>feel like a social outcast
what do? seriously feeling peer pressure to get smashed

also is the low carb drinking thing in the sticky legit?

pick one day of the week to get fucked up, make up for it the rest of the week. A lot of college bros get fucked up regularly and don't blow up.

sticky is pretty solid

Too small to be a hernia right?

RIP in pieces dude, you're terminal. Can I have all your supplements?

I'd be more concerned about that cancer spot to the right tbqhfam

>get constipated due to protein
"you need to eat more fiber user, eat more veggies, they're full of fiber"
>look up how much fiber vegetables have
>2 grams per 100 grams
I'm starting to think Veeky Forums doesn't have a clue.

Is Scooby's routine legit? I'm doing his intermediate workout but not seeing much in the way of results.

You mean you looked up how much fiber was in every single vegtable and they were all 2/100g?

The most fiber dense is corn at 7/100g, and its an outlier.

All other vegetables are around 2/100g.

Sure, post billing address

Is a scar famalam. Would prefer a mole over a hernia any day though. I would give up lifting if i ever got a hernia.

this is me at 6,1" and 152lbs. I packed on too much fat while bulking. what would be a good weight to cut back to, to start lean bulking?

he's on Veeky Forums, he doesn't have a clue

what are your stats? what were you doing before his intermediate workout? When routines don't work, more often than not it's pilot error.

there is no set weight, focus on bf%. Cut to sub 15%

thanks, I'm asking for it, so I can put something into MFP though. any suggestions?

do the math

Asking again:
there are over 20 different curls
Which curls are good for getting dense muscles?
Which curls are good for getting big muscles?
Should I use a Barbell/Dumbbells/Kettlebell ?
Are curls effective at all?

Is there a workout timer app that I can configure for my own workout that will beep when I can take a rest and then beep when I need to go again? Shit like that? But not just for HIIT?

Veeky Forums.
If I work out at night, I can't sleep. My mind wanders and it takes me hours to fall asleep. Should I just tough it out and keep working out?

Those are grams of protein per 100g for common vegetables
corn - 7.0g
carrot - 2.8g
broccoli - 2.6g
cabbage - 2.5g
potato - 2.2g
onion - 1.7g
pepper - 1.5g
lettuce - 1.3g
tomato - 1.2g
cucumber - 0.5g

>grams of protein
I mean fiber.

5'9", 78kg, don't know bodyfat but I estimate 25%

Standard curls - 10kg, 3 sets of 15
Hammer curls - 12.5kg 3 sets of 15
3-4 pullups before I have to do negatives, 3 sets
10-15 chinups before I have to do negatives
40 pushups before failiure

(I don't know what other stats I should post)

What about peas man? 5g for every 100g
Where would you say is better for getting your fiber anyway? Peas and beans are good for protein too, and they have those good slow release complex carbs.

Veggies should be the main source of your carbs anyway.

Good programme for hypertrophy?

I got some really weird looks while I was working out yesterday. I wasn't doing the most conventional workout, but should I not do that workout again?

Corn bran - 79g / 100g of fiber
Wheat bran - 43g / 100g of fiber

I was in your gym, your workout was fine but we could see your small penis and your fordyce spots.

Very funny, but could anyone actually offer me some advice?

I was Irish dancing with a barbell on my back to work my elgs

sounds like you're missing a lot of his exercises and probably shouldn't be doing an intermediate routine.

"yes"

>Barbell
You're supposed to do it with the corpse of a dead British paratrooper for weight.

So I guess i fucked up. Got ahead of myself when I got my pullup bar and did around 30-40 or so pullups spread out between maybe an hour or two. It's been a week now and I still can't do even one without my lats starting to feel like there burning and fighting against me. Did I just give my self a shit ton of muscle fatigue because I really never worked my lats prior to pullups? Any way to speed up recovery?

>I got my pullup bar and did around 30-40 or so pullups spread out between maybe an hour or two.
literally why? Why do you retards do the most retarded shit ever?

I know I know it was fucking stupid. I was just enjoying myself too much.

what's so bad about doing lots of pullups spread out?

How much does Veeky Forums spend on food per week? I want to bulk up but I'm poor and I don't think I can afford to eat meat every day.

30-40 bucks generally.