What mile time would be considered decent?

What mile time would be considered decent?

AKA at what point would my mile time allow me to dust most other people and not be considered slow af?

Other urls found in this thread:

misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/masters.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

6min30

Five minutes flat.

This

Anything below 5 minutes would have you doing legit distance running work as your main form of exercise

OP here.

I'm currently building to lots of distance running to form an aerobic base. When I exceed 30 miles per week I intend to start doing speed work.

My current miles per week is at 15.

I'm currently running a mile just under 8 minutes.

How long should it take, with 10% mileage progression per week, to get to a 5 minute mile?

fuck of OP said most ppl not most ppl who run

Time depends on intensity, take it from me, long time runner fag.

I just broke 10 minutes and hit 9:52. Slowly I am progressing. Aiming for 9 flat soon.

I'm taking it slow specifically because I want to avoid injury.

"Decent" in my book would be a time that is better than most people who consider themselves in shape and worse than people who consider themselves runners. In that case, decent would be 7 minutes.

If you are currently running a sub 8 minute mile, you need to start working on speed. I assume you run 5 miles a session 3 times a week. One of those days should be your speed day. Run at a relatively fast pace first until you're smoked. Then shuffle. Then sprint. Then walk or shuffle. Repeat the sprint/walk phase until you're done with your run. Just do it once a week if 3 running sessions per week or twice if 5 running sessions per week.
If you do this, you will see an increase in speed in your long running sessions naturally, at a quicker rate than if you just did your long running sessions.

Not going to get anywhere besides running longer distance by doing that. My runs usually consist of a mile warm up, 4-5 mile work out where I bring up intensity and a mile cool down with stretches and exercises after. That warm up and that cool down are key.

If you can run a full mile without collapsing you're probably better off than most people

6'0 192lbs guy here. Is a 15 minute 2 mile run a good time?

kinda, not really.

The only good time is a better time than your last.

Comparing yourself to others is pointless unless you plan on taking up racing.

nice job dude; keep it up

Somewhat related question: What's a decent 2k time on the erg?

You're like 15lbs overweight so that's bretty good i guess

8 is decent.
7 mins is pretty fast.
6 is really fast.

Maybe in america.

Sub 5

Start working on fast running now, do fartlek workouts, then do 200's and 400's with rest time equal to work time, look up plans, cycle through phases, get a target race and go for it

My overweight friend ran 5:40 with a few weeks training. Granted he was starting from a reasonable level of fitness but he still had a beer belly.

I honestly don't respect anyone who can't break 6 minutes

5 min.

Im trying to fix my running form.. anyways wtf should my hips/pelvis be doing? I understand they shouldn't be bobbing up and down or tilting but should they be rotating side to side alot? a little?

You are either drastically understating his previous fitness or you are full of shit

just to confirm we're talking about how fast you can complete a mile right lads? what should you expect from a gym rat with little running experience?

I can do 4.5 miles in 30 minutes, and I consider that very decent. I think running 8mph+ is the line I'd make

He went from 6:30 to 5:40 in 5 weeks. He ran 6:30 from just general gym training and weekly 5 aside games.

Anyone who considers themselves "fit" should be able to break 7:00 whether they run regularly or not.

DISCLAIMER: I am a biased hungry skeleton who ran track in college.

a mile is more like sprinting you can be fat and still have a decent time.
I now have 10kg more (mostly fat) than I had when I was really fit (66->76kg), and still can run 1000m in 3min10 (1mile equals 1600m).
If you`ve been fit once its not that much of a problem

Fuck anyone who says 5min mile is good. Anything around the 6 min area is good. A 5 min mile is fast as fuck. If you don't believe me try going on a treadmill, setting it to 12 mph and run for 5 min. No one on this board is remotely capable of a 5 min mile.

depends on your age, gender, and distance
misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/masters.html

I would throw out the 5k chart all together as the times are weighted to the slower because everybody does a 5k. the 8k and 10k times will let you know where you stand.

Distance running is for small guys and musclets. I'm around 15% at 230 lbs and can still run a sub 7 min mile but I'm gassed after that.

Are we talking about running just a mile, or running like 5k or 10k or so and then looking at average speed?

I can run a single mile in 7.5 min, but if I run a 5k I'm closer to 9 min for a mile. In horrible shape and started running a few months ago, couldn't even finish a damn mile then... my goal is a 7 min mile for at least 10k.

Yeah that's actually pretty good.

Your goal should be around 12-13 minutes, but the greater majority of people wouldn't be able to do 15 mins 2 miles at your weight.

I broke 7:00 without running in 1-2 years. I was Auschwitz skeleton so it was relatively easy.

>a mile is more like sprinting you can be fat and still have a decent time

What?
Fat people can't sprint decent times.

sort of related: would a man burn more calories running the same distance at 5km/h or 10 km/h?

Would a car burn more fuel going the same distance at 5 mph or 10 mph?

much depends on the car. i hear each car has an ideal crusing speed fuel efficiency.

yeah, it's respectable.

you will. significantly.

This thread gave me an ego boost, I thought I was pretty slow for only being able to do a 5:40~ mile

Maybe having friends who did track and cross country is giving me bias

I thought I was kinda weak only being able to bench 240.

humblebrags are for females

Haha yeah and we both know there wouldn't be any women in these threads...

pls be in kg

Here comes the GOTIS attention whore

Reminder there are 12 year old girls who can run a mile in under 5:15

I think I'm just not meant to run

I've been running 3 times a week for a year

Still running 8 minute mile

Try running 5 days a week and turning 1 or 2 of those workouts into speed workouts.

It took me 2 years to drop from 7:30 to 4:59. Then again, that was in high school

At your size that's good. But compared to runners, that's not so good

If you're a runner, 5:40 is kinda shit. If you're not, it's pretty good

Only the mutant ones. The top high school girl runners hit like 5:20, and they're significantly older than 12

most of my friends are D1 cross country and track kids and their times are just straight up inhuman
my friend who ran a sub 4 minute 1500m helped me train for a 5 minute mile and i'm perfectly satisfied with that.
A 6 minute mile is achievable by anyone who is moderately athletic, but as another user said, 5 minutes is around the point (or past it) where running is the main goal of your fitness routine

sub 6 min, I did 6:30 when I was 20 pounds overweight

Interval training is the best way to break plateaus for distance. 800m time trials are goat

It takes me 14 minutes to run 1k
I am fat
I am happy with this time
I'm going to make it until December

Ran a mile yesterday and got 6:43

Ran one today and got 6:34

I'm 175 pounds/ 5'9''. I don't know if that matters. I'm gonna make 6:30 tomorrow

I've only been running for about a week or so.

Wish me luck lads, I know I can do it.

>any other country
>mattering

kek

4:45 mile here

ask me anything

This is true. I cruise at 7-8 minutes and can go sub 6 for a mile. I've never been passed by a noncompetitive running enthusiast

Take days off and don't just do a time trial every run. Do longer runs and intervals then race a mile at the end of every month. You will break 6:00 iby the end of the year if you are consistent with your training.

Are you joking?
8 is very slow
7 is slow
6 is decent
5 is pretty fast
4 is verrrry fast

thats not even 13km/h though. I'd say 15 km/h is the line for good fitness