/plg/ - powerlifting general

Welcome to /plg/ - powerlifting general
Powerliftinggeneral.com

Best 3 lifts:
>Paused bench press
>Incline bench
>Front squats

Sub >incline for paused squats and we're good.

I'd agree with paused front squats in place of front squats, but not back squats,

Convince me to see a doctor for my chronic lower back pain

No

Good, now I don't have to.

What the fuck of course you feel lower back pain, I literally JUST told you that the movement of bending down to ones toes is simply putting force on your lower back, as you automatically make up for the lack of flexibility by bending and stretching your lower back in a weird way.

I mean, I am sure people in plg aren't actually retared and think that you stretch your hammies by bending over and touching your toes??

I didn't understand what you said, it was poorly written.

Are you mentally retarded?

Are leg presses a good assistance to build quad strength for deadlifts?

Inb4 squat

Yes.

Injury?

If I only wanted to train push pull, would leg pressing alone be enough quad assistance for deadlifts if I don't want to squat?

Front squats would help you a LOT, and they are considerably more comfortable.

Yup, and it keeps reaggravating every time I squat, so I'm giving up squatting for a while and going to try again in a year or something, since physios just tell me it needs time to heal.

How to tell if you have a hernia lads? Took a shower after a squat session and noticed a small red lump just smaller than a pea on my abdomen, right under my rib cage on the right side.

A bit of extra info
>No pain. A little discomfort. Could be from me touching and pressing it + cringing at the thought of having a hernia.
>Doesn't "go back in"
>Doesn't really stick out far, it's almost like a really big pimple or a small keloid
>I *think* it moves with the skin i.e. i think the lump is in/attached to my skin

I'm really worried fml, if it's actually a hernia than this might be the end of my lifting journey.

>front squats
>comfy

I'm in a similar position but with the deadlift. God speed user, it's not the end of your training in the slightest, just find a work around.

I use to think this, injured my lower back, can't back squat without a belt or face death.
So I tried front squats and holy shit they are great, easy to do, comfortable to do in flats, and great for upper back strength.

Yeah, just finding other shit to get stronger at desu
Kind of glad since I've always hated squatting kek

>easy to do
REEEEEEEEE
femurlet pls go

Probably not

Doctor

High bar should have the same effect

I do have really short femurs and a long torso. I can do them with an upright torso, even in flat chucks.

So I understand it's easier for me. I can't deadlift for shit though lmao. I'd rather huge glutes and traps than giant quads :(

No, high bar hurts my lower back because the bar is over spine

>tfw have really good ankle mobility but even struggle to do front squats in wl shoes without a slight pitching forward

I don't know why I can do them as well I can, I think it's purely leverage because I don't stretch ever.

Sounds more like a cyst than a hernia

Is Sean here?

went for a 240kg deadlift after 3x5 at 200 and accidentally loaded a 20kg plate on one side and a 5kg plate on the other, the new plates are super thin and all around the same circumference, need to pay more attention as I almost went through the fucking drywall, failed the lift too for those wondering, still at 230 1rm.

Best places to buy lifting chalk in UK?

inb4 thread gets deleted

Low carb, high fat / high carb, low fat / etc is a meme right?

JUST EAT and try to get some decent protons is all that really matters, isn't it?

>2:30am
>still haven't started dinner

i'd say keep your carbs and fats as high as you can while eating enough protein

carbs make me lift better

Are you actually stupid? You're acting incredibly stupid. The bar isn't siting on top of your spine, it's not getting as compressed.

Definitely going to a doctor user but it's 2am right now and i'm anxious

How does one get a cyst on the abdomen from lifting? Only thing I can think of is my skin got irritated from the belt.

Have you ever seen Kenny Vs Spenny?

>to avoid compression in your spine all you have to do is make sure the weight isn't on top of it! Physics!

That's not what I said, the load isn't directly over the spine, you're supporting it more with your abdominals, relieving pressure from your back for support.

Yes

Take a picture and we'll e-diagnose you

This is wrong.

What is supporting the bar in a deadlift, just your fingers??

This is technically correct.

However a low/high bar squat both out the same amount of pressure on the spine, neither have any pro's/con's in that regard, it depends more on your posture.

>implying that the literal centremeters of distance has any noticeable let alone measureable effect on the only skeletal structure holding your torso up

Low bar is heavy on your lower back because your lower back is a prime stabiliser in the movement. Not so much in front OR Olympic. If high bar squats hurt your lower back but front bar doesn't, it isn't a inherent physiological issue, your form just sucks

Total calories is the most important. Second is macro arrangements, to which we all respond a little bit differently to. Experimenting a bit can be useful.

>tfw can't squat
I can do body weight squats ok but whenever I try it with weights its hard.
help please

no

Top three DL variants to help bring up sumo, go.

Are you retarded??????????

The problem with back squats is that it’s next to impossible to perform them with a completely erect spine and pelvis. Any time you lean forward and arch your back you’re tightening/shortening your low back muscles and hip flexors and lengthening your abdominals and glutes. Add in a bunch of compressive weight over a span of 25 or 30 reps several times per week and it’s easy to see how back squats encourage anterior tilting pelvic positioning.

A vertical spine is far healthier, however it is impossible to do in the back squat.
The positioning makes a big fucking difference you moron.

Maybe block, snatch-grip, and SLDL.

I'm probably over reacting. Tried taking photos and it just looks like a red mark.

strength shop website

Do you like it?

I have literally never trained snatch grip beyond dicking around once or twice or Mike T making me do SGSLDLs for ninety reps. Do you train them heavy or more like the 5-8 range?

I do like stiff legs though.

>erect pelvis
Haha you almost said erect penis

watch chris duffin and alan thralls vids on squats

No

Why?

Block, paused and deficit

>not using your back muscles as they're designed to be used to make them stronger is unhealthy
>people routinely use back squats to rehab lower back injuries

m8. really?

>squats feel extremely hard
Fug

Idk

are you supposed to do low bar or high bar with starting strength?

What are you on

Whatever you like more. Rip says low bar, but it really doesn't matter all that much.

Use whatever you can squat more with. Lowbar is uncomfortable for everyone at first but you'll get used to it, putting more size on your upper back helps with keeping the bar stable.

I think you and isley should start your own show, identical to kenny vs spenny
You have enough money to invest in it right? Imagine humiliating Isley on live television every week. Wouldn't it be great?

If you don't have them as primary, I'd do them for sets of reps in that range.
If you're asking what I personally do, the answer is that I'm about to start doing them in an RTS fashion.

I hate Russian and Chinese weightlifters. They squat with an arched lower back because they need to reinforce the upright position for the snatch & clean, but most plebs squatting look to them for form so they all copy the back arching thinking it's good form.
Neutral spine is king for squatting the most weight possible. Upright torso has no purpose in powerlifting.

Epic

Someone beckoned for me the other day re SI yoint pain. You here la?

about to start the sheiko-memetrain

bye bye retardation.

What are you gonna do when trump tosses your lover in Guantanamo

Yes! I am. What are your symptoms? I recon I may be in the same situation, if it's not my facet joint.

The difference between some fairly minimal thoracic arching and "neutral" is not as great as you think. I also think an upright torso tends to lead to good habits in general.

Yo I'm a straight up kills G my names Sean
Girls be on my dick and they always fawn
I got money in the motherfuckin bank
I'm built like a motherfuckin tank

I place me penis inside your mother and jizz
You come home to mama and I be like nigga it's none of your biz

Thanks, you wanna blow me?

Holy fuck I'm going to die. First set of 255x8 was @11

Don't count up to 8, count down from 8 and tell me what RPE it is.

It has less to do with the rep count and more to do with the fact that I'm under recovered as hell.

Lol I invented this stupid meme last week

Stfu and do what I tell you Tbh

If I wanted a meme I'd ask for your lifts and listen to you make jokes until people forgot that I asked for them.

I mentioned it yesterday after reading a T-Nation article, actually.

irl I have never seen anyone arching their back while squatting and not getting injured; in fact, the guys in my gym that get injured like this — every time complaining about lower back pain, SI pain etc) — and turn to me for advice (I'm "that powerlifting guy" in my commercial gym) stop having pains after I coach them for a few session and change their technique in the manner that you can see CWS and Quinn Henoch queue proper bracing and spine position in their videos

I remember Akkaev in an interview saying nearly everyone in the Russian national weightlifting team had to have spine surgeries, they all had chronic injuries — I suspect (but obviously can't know for sure) that the constant back arching in most of their weighted movements is the cause of this

I would get a stabbing pain if I bent over pretty much at all, even with hip hinge. I couldn't even figure out what triggered it, like almost any kind of actuation or uneven stress on my hips.

The most consistent way I could get that twinge is when I would sit down and hyperextend my lumbar or hips or whatever, that is what made it hurt the most, but only momentarily.

Also if it helps at all I didn't know what people meant by "I couldn't get out of bed in the morning" until I got this injury.

FURTHER, the pain went away almost immediately after I got a deep massage on my psoas and lumbar:hip junction area. Also it was predominantly unilateral, that's what made me suspect it wasn't directly spine related

Trumps coming for your gf m9 watch out

hillary is gonna win though :(

Fuck I (another user) also have this but it's bilateral and it hurts mostly all over my erector spinae when I hyperextend and rotate the torso.
I'm getting so depressed

Link to their bracing videos?

I wonder what her total would be.

>I would get a stabbing pain if I bent over pretty much at all, even with hip hinge. I couldn't even figure out what triggered it, like almost any kind of actuation or uneven stress on my hips.
This is exactly what I get, it's the musculature for the most part, at least for me. I can relief the muscle tension after a few days of hot showers, but there is always pain in some positions when hinging, such as trying to touch my toes or out in my shoes.
>The most consistent way I could get that twinge is when I would sit down and hyperextend my lumbar or hips or whatever, that is what made it hurt the most, but only momentarily.
Similarly, I get the most pain when doing the camel stretch, and sit with a rounded back.
>Also if it helps at all I didn't know what people meant by "I couldn't get out of bed in the morning" until I got this injury.
Same here. The other day I was in so much pain I could not put on shoes or socks. It was impossible, I couldn't get close to my feet, I had to crawl on the floor.
>FURTHER, the pain went away almost immediately after I got a deep massage on my psoas and lumbar:hip junction area. Also it was predominantly unilateral, that's what made me suspect it wasn't directly spine related
My pain goes away with warm showers and some mobility drills and a few days rest, but it most definitely bilateral unfortunately for me.

Very insightful, I appreciate the time taken to write this all up. Thank you.

Still felt the same tbqh. I'm just very under recovered. I'll be happy with 255x11 next set.

Stop with the "I'm fatigued" shit man. Do it again and this time don't think about failing it, or barely getting the set, or how fatigued you are.

Just think, "it's time to hit 11 reps cool", get under the bar, and count "11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0"

m8 please just lift and not post until you're done with an exercise.

don't know by heart which ones are relevant, cba looking through the hundreds of videos on the juggernauttraining channel or sift through all the mobility stuff when searching for quinn henoch on youtube

chris duffin also speaks on this subject in his squat tutorial video on the supertraining channel, but I think he doesn't explain it as well as the aforementioned gentlemen

That may not be SI joint related at all though. How long has it been going on and how did you bother it?

No problem friendo. I just don't know enough to distinguish between SI joint issues and other back problems.
>rounded back
definitely this, but not WHILE sitting, more getting up or whatever. If I'm seated for a while, getting up fucking sucks, also walking around shortly thereafter is where it hurts the most, however if I'm on my feet for a while it doesn't hurt at all, even when bending over to a certain extent.
>hot shower
I never took note of this, nor did I pay attention to this. I guess you could say I don't know that feel.

>cba looking through the hundreds of videos on the juggernauttraining channel or sift through all the mobility stuff when searching for quinn henoch on youtube
This is why I asked for a link :|

user is always such a cock tease